Does the Nokia 950 or 950XL have a notification LED ?

KevinLev

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am planning a switch from my current phone (LG G2 running Android). The candidates are Lumia 950/950XL (preferably 950) or Blackberry Priv (the easy choice - still Android, has notification LED). But if I move to Windows Phone, I need some (mandatory) things:

1. A notification LED. I am a very heavy notifications user and I need to respond quickly, some emails are more important than others and I set different blinking patterns for different mailboxes. Glance or other features don't do it for me, I need continuous notification and I need to be able to see if the LED blinks (in different patterns) especially if I am a few meters away from the phone.

2. Double tap to wake. After experiencing this feature, I will never buy a phone without it.

So my question is: does the Lumia 950 (or 950XL) have a notification LED ?

Thanks !

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. While 10 does support notification LEDs I think, I'm not sure if the 950's have it. there's talk of the 730 potentially having one though.

2. DTTW is there.

KevinLev

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
According to the data sheet, there's no notification LED on the 950/950XL.

Thanks for the info, but I still have some hope. Sometimes these "insignificant" features are not even advertised. I just saw a video with Lumia 735 having a notification LED, I don't think this was advertised. Anyway, it would be really strange for Microsoft to bother to add notification LED support in Windows 10 but their flagships to actually lack the LED.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To clarify, the data sheet I have access to has an entry for "Notification LED", and has a "No" stated against it. It's not as if it wasn't mentioned....

If there was one, we'd have expected to be told about it from people's experience of the demo devices.

KevinLev

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
To clarify, the data sheet I have access to has an entry for "Notification LED", and has a "No" stated against it.

Well, thanks for the info. This makes the choice easier (but slightly more expensive) for me. Blackberry Priv seems to be my next phone. Sorry Microsoft, see you again in 2 years :)

ericloewe

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Glance does everything a stupid little LED can do - and more - but better. You don't even need to decipher different blink rates (seriously, that's the most convoluted workflow I've seen in a while).
What's not continuous about Glance?

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Came from android, had the same concern regarding notification LED but still went with L1520.

Yep , didnt miss it even once !!!!

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Glance does everything a stupid little LED can do - and more - but better. You don't even need to decipher different blink rates (seriously, that's the most convoluted workflow I've seen in a while).

You can use glance from 10 feet away from the phone to know what type of message just came in? Because that's how I use my notification LED.
Green = personal email.
Blue = work email.
Purple = text.
Red = BBM.
Yellow = voice mail.
Light Blue = Twitter.

I like knowing the email that just came is personal and can wait w/o having to cross the room to pick up my phone and look at it. If glance can do that then great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
You can use glance from 10 feet away from the phone to know what type of message just came in? Because that's how I use my notification LED.
Green = personal email.
Blue = work email.
Purple = text.
Red = BBM.
Yellow = voice mail.
Light Blue = Twitter.

I like knowing the email that just came is personal and can wait w/o having to cross the room to pick up my phone and look at it. If glance can do that then great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Depending on how you configure it, yes. Assuming you keep your phone in an orientation that allows you to see the screen from 10 feet away. Personally, I wouldn't mind a dedicated notification light as described, but I wouldn't pay extra and/or make a purchase decision based on it. But to each their own.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Omg this is ridiculous! Your getting a technology packed phone/phablet that's just insanely beautiful and you wont buy one because it doesn't have a notification LED are you kidding me!! I mean those LED's are becoming obsolete and Glance is the way forward, I have glance in my Lumia 640 XL and it is brilliant, granted I don't have the full glance but I do have full notifications. Don't do anything hasty you can try and get a demo of it when it launches in Microsoft store or you may get a demo in your Operator store.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Omg this is ridiculous! Your getting a technology packed phone/phablet that's just insanely beautiful and you wont buy one because it doesn't have a notification LED are you kidding me!!
It makes sense. People value things differently. If they didn't, all phones (or any product) would be the same with just marketing and price being different. I knew someone back in the day who wouldn't buy a new Volkswagen because they didn't have a flower vase. I doubt Volkswagen adjusted projected earnings when they heard.

KevinLev

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

It's easy, a good notification system would eliminate unnecessary interaction with your phone and save you valuable time and focus which you can use for other tasks.That's how I use my notification LED. I want to look at my phone one meter away from me for a split second and see if I have any notification or not, if it's important or not. I can't with Glance, which essentially requires the old method of polling (moving the phone, waving the hand over the phone or other funny stuff from time to time), I can with a simple LED, which is a true "push" notification system - as sensed by the human brain. No LED, no buy from me because my time and focus on the task is valuable.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
What could you do with a split second of valuable time? I always had led notication on my note 3 and 4. I don't miss it with glance. I find glance more informative. You have to physically set up your led for various notifications on droid. That's fine if you can remember what colour means what. Glance tells you without having to remember anything. Easily set up. I keep my phone nearby and if I miss something, I can wake it up. Both have their merits, but as for saving precious time, I cant see how much of a gain you would make.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it comes down to habits.

Some will change their habits and some will not.

How about a wearable? But no... Because some won't switch off a watch for aesthetics or don't want anything on their wrist at all.

Different strokes for different folks and all, but some leopards won't change their spots.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Glance does NOT require any polling. It can be set up to be on all the time and it stays on all the time, reliably, and with negligible impact on battery life. I ran my WPs like that for years.

You can easily see which accounts have notifications based on the position of the badge on the glance screen. You can easily see that from 10 feet away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro