12-16-2015 09:09 AM
40 12
tools
    Hello,

I am planning a switch from my current phone (LG G2 running Android). The candidates are Lumia 950/950XL (preferably 950) or Blackberry Priv (the easy choice - still Android, has notification LED). But if I move to Windows Phone, I need some (mandatory) things:

1. A notification LED. I am a very heavy notifications user and I need to respond quickly, some emails are more important than others and I set different blinking patterns for different mailboxes. Glance or other features don't do it for me, I need continuous notification and I need to be able to see if the LED blinks (in different patterns) especially if I am a few meters away from the phone.

2. Double tap to wake. After experiencing this feature, I will never buy a phone without it.

So my question is: does the Lumia 950 (or 950XL) have a notification LED ?

Thanks !
    JohnStrk likes this.
    10-30-2015 10:47 AM
    1. While 10 does support notification LEDs I think, I'm not sure if the 950's have it. there's talk of the 730 potentially having one though.

2. DTTW is there.
    10-30-2015 10:52 AM
    According to the data sheet, there's no notification LED on the 950/950XL.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-30-2015 10:53 AM
    According to the data sheet, there's no notification LED on the 950/950XL.
    Thanks for the info, but I still have some hope. Sometimes these "insignificant" features are not even advertised. I just saw a video with Lumia 735 having a notification LED, I don't think this was advertised. Anyway, it would be really strange for Microsoft to bother to add notification LED support in Windows 10 but their flagships to actually lack the LED.
    colinkiama and luminos_1 like this.
    10-30-2015 11:19 AM
    To clarify, the data sheet I have access to has an entry for "Notification LED", and has a "No" stated against it. It's not as if it wasn't mentioned....

If there was one, we'd have expected to be told about it from people's experience of the demo devices.
    10-30-2015 11:23 AM
    To clarify, the data sheet I have access to has an entry for "Notification LED", and has a "No" stated against it.
    Well, thanks for the info. This makes the choice easier (but slightly more expensive) for me. Blackberry Priv seems to be my next phone. Sorry Microsoft, see you again in 2 years :)
    10-30-2015 11:34 AM
    Must have never heard of Glance...
    10-30-2015 02:39 PM
    Glance does everything a stupid little LED can do - and more - but better. You don't even need to decipher different blink rates (seriously, that's the most convoluted workflow I've seen in a while).
    What's not continuous about Glance?
    Bay 13, djeire84, SPS828 and 2 others like this.
    10-30-2015 03:47 PM
    Came from android, had the same concern regarding notification LED but still went with L1520.

Yep , didnt miss it even once !!!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    10-30-2015 04:25 PM
    ... Sorry Microsoft, see you again in 2 years :)
    Sorry, Kevin: we'll all enter reminders to Glance for you in 2 years.
    Michkol, Bay 13 and Aamod Potdar like this.
    10-30-2015 04:59 PM
    Glance does everything a stupid little LED can do - and more - but better. You don't even need to decipher different blink rates (seriously, that's the most convoluted workflow I've seen in a while).
    You can use glance from 10 feet away from the phone to know what type of message just came in? Because that's how I use my notification LED.
    Green = personal email.
    Blue = work email.
    Purple = text.
    Red = BBM.
    Yellow = voice mail.
    Light Blue = Twitter.

I like knowing the email that just came is personal and can wait w/o having to cross the room to pick up my phone and look at it. If glance can do that then great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-01-2015 07:28 PM
    Technically, with Glance it has millions of notification LED's....well, notification OLED's :p
    11-01-2015 09:50 PM
    You can use glance from 10 feet away from the phone to know what type of message just came in? Because that's how I use my notification LED.
    Green = personal email.
    Blue = work email.
    Purple = text.
    Red = BBM.
    Yellow = voice mail.
    Light Blue = Twitter.

I like knowing the email that just came is personal and can wait w/o having to cross the room to pick up my phone and look at it. If glance can do that then great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Depending on how you configure it, yes. Assuming you keep your phone in an orientation that allows you to see the screen from 10 feet away. Personally, I wouldn't mind a dedicated notification light as described, but I wouldn't pay extra and/or make a purchase decision based on it. But to each their own.
    11-01-2015 09:53 PM
    Omg this is ridiculous! Your getting a technology packed phone/phablet that's just insanely beautiful and you wont buy one because it doesn't have a notification LED are you kidding me!! I mean those LED's are becoming obsolete and Glance is the way forward, I have glance in my Lumia 640 XL and it is brilliant, granted I don't have the full glance but I do have full notifications. Don't do anything hasty you can try and get a demo of it when it launches in Microsoft store or you may get a demo in your Operator store.
    11-01-2015 10:50 PM
    Yes, obviously. Glance shows what is configured for the lock screen.
    11-02-2015 09:27 AM
    Omg this is ridiculous! Your getting a technology packed phone/phablet that's just insanely beautiful and you wont buy one because it doesn't have a notification LED are you kidding me!!
    It makes sense. People value things differently. If they didn't, all phones (or any product) would be the same with just marketing and price being different. I knew someone back in the day who wouldn't buy a new Volkswagen because they didn't have a flower vase. I doubt Volkswagen adjusted projected earnings when they heard.
    11-02-2015 09:42 AM
    It's easy, a good notification system would eliminate unnecessary interaction with your phone and save you valuable time and focus which you can use for other tasks.That's how I use my notification LED. I want to look at my phone one meter away from me for a split second and see if I have any notification or not, if it's important or not. I can't with Glance, which essentially requires the old method of polling (moving the phone, waving the hand over the phone or other funny stuff from time to time), I can with a simple LED, which is a true "push" notification system - as sensed by the human brain. No LED, no buy from me because my time and focus on the task is valuable.
    luminos_1 likes this.
    11-02-2015 11:04 AM
    What could you do with a split second of valuable time? I always had led notication on my note 3 and 4. I don't miss it with glance. I find glance more informative. You have to physically set up your led for various notifications on droid. That's fine if you can remember what colour means what. Glance tells you without having to remember anything. Easily set up. I keep my phone nearby and if I miss something, I can wake it up. Both have their merits, but as for saving precious time, I cant see how much of a gain you would make.
    RumoredNow and Kevin Rush like this.
    11-02-2015 11:13 AM
    I think it comes down to habits.

Some will change their habits and some will not.

How about a wearable? But no... Because some won't switch off a watch for aesthetics or don't want anything on their wrist at all.

Different strokes for different folks and all, but some leopards won't change their spots.
    11-02-2015 11:33 AM
    Glance does NOT require any polling. It can be set up to be on all the time and it stays on all the time, reliably, and with negligible impact on battery life. I ran my WPs like that for years.

You can easily see which accounts have notifications based on the position of the badge on the glance screen. You can easily see that from 10 feet away.
    11-02-2015 02:04 PM
    I was a big supporter for led notifications and even posted that earlier on a thread here a month or so ago, I've just gotten so used to it with my old Note 4 and earlier Galaxy phones and thought not having led notification would be a issue BUT after picking up a 640XL 3 weeks ago and using Glance Screen I don't miss the LED at all.. Honestly I'm quite surprised :)
    11-02-2015 09:39 PM
    You're misinformed. Glance can be set to always on.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 11-03-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    11-03-2015 09:32 AM
    It makes sense. People value things differently. If they didn't, all phones (or any product) would be the same with just marketing and price being different. I knew someone back in the day who wouldn't buy a new Volkswagen because they didn't have a flower vase. I doubt Volkswagen adjusted projected earnings when they heard.

I know but not to get the latest flagship because of something so small when glance is going to be the way forward, as they have an LED look to them, all phones will adopt the glance feature.
    Volkswagen is a dirty word now due to the emissions scandal lol.
    11-03-2015 05:56 PM
    I was a big supporter for led notifications and even posted that earlier on a thread here a month or so ago, I've just gotten so used to it with my old Note 4 and earlier Galaxy phones and thought not having led notification would be a issue BUT after picking up a 640XL 3 weeks ago and using Glance Screen I don't miss the LED at all.. Honestly I'm quite surprised :)

Congrats on your purchase. The 640 XL rocks though! Id never go back to a smaller screen. 😊
    Captpt likes this.
    11-03-2015 05:58 PM
    You're misinformed. Glance can be set to always on.

Or you can set it to peek/interval which saves battery its a great little feature.
    11-03-2015 05:59 PM
40 12