950 showing up on ATT website

mrmeyer

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Financially, does it make sense to buy from AT&T? I don't have a problem with a contract, been using AT&T for decades, but I want the best price. I don't mind paying in full for unlocked if the $$ overall come out less.

The biggest drawback to buying from AT&T is the crapware that I know will get installed (it's easy enough to unload from Windows 10), but I don't want to wait months for AT&T to "approve" a Windows 10 patch.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Financially, does it make sense to buy from AT&T? I don't have a problem with a contract, been using AT&T for decades, but I want the best price. I don't mind paying in full for unlocked if the $$ overall come out less.

The biggest drawback to buying from AT&T is the crapware that I know will get installed (it's easy enough to unload from Windows 10), but I don't want to wait months for AT&T to "approve" a Windows 10 patch.

I see no reason for you to buy from ATT if you can afford to buy unlocked and full price.
there is NO downside to buying unlocked and or full price from MIcrosoft store, online or in store, IF you can wait for them to be available - hoping they become available simultaneously....

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

The primary advantage is that people can buy it with free financing through ATT Next. Unless ATT rolls out a special deal, it seems better to buy it from MS if you can afford to pay upfront.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

From the looks of it, AT&T won't be approving anything. Microsoft has said they will be releasing all updates and patches with carrier "input". Now, whatever that means, I don't know but it does sound a lot better than AT&T having full control of them.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
From the looks of it, AT&T won't be approving anything. Microsoft has said they will be releasing all updates and patches with carrier "input". Now, whatever that means, I don't know but it does sound a lot better than AT&T having full control of them.
15GB of free OneDrive sounded good too. When in doubt, remove the doubt. Buy unlocked.

AT&T knows some (maybe only a few) people will buy unlocked because of that doubt. There is a reason they don't clarify that themselves. The most likely is that they intend to do things that will delay updates, So if they say what's what they lose more "I feel lucky" buyers than they gain "not gonna chance it" buyers.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
15GB of free OneDrive sounded good too. When in doubt, remove the doubt. Buy unlocked.

AT&T knows some (maybe only a few) people will buy unlocked because of that doubt. There is a reason they don't clarify that themselves. The most likely is that they intend to do things that will delay updates, So if they say what's what they lose more "I feel lucky" buyers than they gain "not gonna chance it" buyers.

I know what you are saying, and I have my doubts too but I want to believe them. From what I've read about it, they want to keep the mobile updates consistent with pc updates, which would mean they couldn't possibly let the carriers mess that up by delaying the crap out of each update. But I know, talk is cheap. I guess we'll find out in due time.
Microsoft says it will control Windows 10 Mobile update releases instead of carriers | Windows Central

"If your phone is running Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft says, it will get all updates, with Microsoft making the final call on when to push the update button."

"That doesn't mean the carriers are completely out of the loop. The Windows Insider program will continue after the launch of Windows 10 Mobile, which means anyone who registers with the Insider program can get early access to updates with new features. The carriers will be part of that testing program, I'm told, probably getting access to builds at the same time as Microsoft's Elite Dogfood group and their input will help Microsoft decide when an update is ready to go out to all devices."

"But those updates will be delivered simultaneously, to all devices on all carriers, meaning much less opportunity for fragmentation."

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if I get one through AT&T if I can take it into the MS Store and buy Complete for it?

Found this in an article:

Update: As many have noted in comments, if you do buy a Surface or Xbox from another retailer, you can bring it into a Microsoft Store within 45-days to add Microsoft Complete. The Store will just need to see a receipt and that the item is in working order.

Source: Why you should buy Microsoft Complete for your phone, Band or Surface | Windows Central

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Why is it every time I go to the on-line Microsoft I want to slap someone upside the head.

What's wrong with this picture:

Complete.png
There is no "See more details" for phones! For all other products that's where it describes what's covered including doubling the factory warranty. All there is is a footnote saying you can make two claims. And yes those pages make it clear that the FULL protection mentioned at the top of the page does indeed have limitations for the non-phone products. So we have ZERO information of what you can file a phone related claim for. I'm guessing the same people responsible for keeping OneDrive free storage users up to date on expiration dates is handling this too. That would also explain creating the attractive nuisance for some GoPhone buyer to pay almost double the cost of the phone for insurance. If the price is for 950s only, it should say that.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Why is it every time I go to the on-line Microsoft I want to slap someone upside the head.

What's wrong with this picture:

There is no "See more details" for phones! For all other products that's where it describes what's covered including doubling the factory warranty. All there is is a footnote saying you can make two claims. And yes those pages make it clear that the FULL protection mentioned at the top of the page does indeed have limitations for the non-phone products. So we have ZERO information of what you can file a phone related claim for. I'm guessing the same people responsible for keeping OneDrive free storage users up to date on expiration dates is handling this too. That would also explain creating the attractive nuisance for some GoPhone buyer to pay almost double the cost of the phone for insurance. If the price is for 950s only, it should say that.

They could just be waiting for the 950/XL to be released.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
They could just be waiting for the 950/XL to be released.
They are selling the GoPhone already. They look silly saying you can get some 2 year warranty for Windows Phones (and not just Microsoft phones) with no details for what's covered and showing an insurance price higher than what they sell some of those phones for. Retailer web pages should answer more questions than they raise.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
They are selling the GoPhone already. They look silly saying you can get some 2 year warranty for Windows Phones (and not just Microsoft phones) with no details for what's covered and showing an insurance price higher than what they sell some of those phones for. Retailer web pages should answer more questions than they raise.

Well hopefully they address that issue tomorrow, or the 20th.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)