950 - AT&T or unlocked, what's the difference

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I know it's the same phone, but is the unlocked device outside of AT&T's painfully slow update cycle? If so, I'll gladly buy the unlocked phone from a Microsoft store. If the unlocked 950 is still saddled with AT&T's "we'll get to it when we get to it" update cycle, I guess it doesn't matter and I just need to figure out where and how I want to pay for it.

Can someone comment on that?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
AT&T will still have a hand in updates, but apparently it's not as large anymore.
Either way, if buying unlocked isn't an issue, then buy unlocked. Guaranteed fast updates, and no carrier bloatware, and no being locked to one carrier. Get the latest software first, enjoy it free of AT&T's apps and customizations, and go anywhere you want.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Financing appears to be the only thing there. I just don't want to be beholden by AT&T's update cycle. History shows they don't care about anything that isn't an iPhone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Is there a discount buying it from AT&T? Or is the only advantage "free" financing.

There's not really a discount. In fact, you'll end up paying more for the phone in the long run if you go through AT&T Next or tying yourself to a contract if you pay for the phone with a subsidized price. It's much better to buy unlocked if you can. If money is an issue then stow away even $20 a week and you'll save up pretty fast. Or buy with credit and pay it off over six months, and you'll probably still save money over buying from AT&T.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
There's not really a discount. In fact, you'll end up paying more for the phone in the long run if you go through AT&T Next or tying yourself to a contract if you pay for the phone with a subsidized price. It's much better to buy unlocked if you can. If money is an issue then stow away even $20 a week and you'll save up pretty fast. Or buy with credit and pay it off over six months, and you'll probably still save money over buying from AT&T.
I don't necessarily think it is better to buy from ATT, but I don't see how you pay more in the long run through ATT Next. Basically, you pay interest-free payments for a fixed number of months but can pay off the phone anytime you want so it's free financing as I see it. Am I missing something?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming he means the carrier commitment is the reason for the longer-term costs, which is understandable. However, if you are planning on sticking with AT&T, there really aren't any downfalls to the price with Next.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily think it is better to buy from ATT, but I don't see how you pay more in the long run through ATT Next. Basically, you pay interest-free payments for a fixed number of months but can pay off the phone anytime you want so it's free financing as I see it. Am I missing something?

Yes that is exactly what you will be doing on AT&T Next. For example, I just picked up the 640 XL on the Next 18 plan. For an additional $10.42/month I'll be paying for the 640 XL with the option of upgrading in 18 months.

On my paperwork, it clearly stated that I'll be paying off the $249.99 retail price in 24 monthly installments. The good thing about the next program is that you can pay it off early without and penalties for paying it of early. I plan on paying it off next month when I get my end of the year bonus from my job.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks fitchalcyone, although I'm not sure what you mean by carrier commitment. You can cancel your service anytime as far as I know and the full balance of the phone is then due and owing. So you pay it off and own it just like you would own the unlocked phone. I suppose maybe an unlocked phone might have slightly higher resale value. If one is a carrier-shopper, it certainly makes sense to get the unlocked phone but that is a different issue than which is more expensive.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, Bob, I should have clarified that my mention of carrier commitment was in response to Zachary's mention of the traditional contract. In that case, yes, cost will be higher since AT&T charges a steep amount per line going that route.

was2wuz

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, Bob, I should have clarified that my mention of carrier commitment was in response to Zachary's mention of the traditional contract. In that case, yes, cost will be higher since AT&T charges a steep amount per line going that route.

New guy here. I'm a little confused now. How is the subsidized contract price higher? Dan just reported today that the 950 should be $99 with a new contract. I plan on using my upgrade and starting a new contract with AT&T in order to walk in, pay $99 (+upgrade fee which will be waived) and walk out with a 950. How is that more in the long run than paying MS $549 up front?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The unlocked phone may not have wifi calling when AT&Terrible adds that option. But an unlocked phone is easier to sell.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If you get the factory unlocked model, you'll have to search for the MyAT&T, AT&T Navigator, AT&T Locker, AT&T Family Map, Mobile TV, and YPmobile apps yourself because it won't come with them preinstalled. You also won't see an AT&T logo when the phone boots up, or stamped on the back cover. I know this is heartbreaking news, well maybe if your name is "Lily."

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I did a bunch of math for rates in a different thread... Basically it turned out that you're paying on average $100-$200 more for a phone and $300-$500 more for coverage by using a carrier plan vs a no contract plan.

Also with the ATT branded stuff vs non ATT branded stuff, you're locked out of certain apps with ATT. Data Sense was one of them back in the day.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I know it's the same phone, but is the unlocked device outside of AT&T's painfully slow update cycle? If so, I'll gladly buy the unlocked phone from a Microsoft store. If the unlocked 950 is still saddled with AT&T's "we'll get to it when we get to it" update cycle, I guess it doesn't matter and I just need to figure out where and how I want to pay for it.

Can someone comment on that?

the unlocked phone would definitely be outside of AT&T's update cycle as it is not tied to AT&T.

Some differences:
* AT&T's crapware on their phone versus "signature" version of unlocked
* AT&T comes locked to AT&T and must be explicitly unlocked to use with another provider which may or may not be problematic depending on one's particular status with AT&T.
* AT&T version seems to be single-SIM from FCC docs and unlocked might be dual-SIM (speculation on my part..I haven't seen any definitive proof)
* AT&T version will definitely work with AT&T's 'special sauce' services such as data sense, mobile hotspot, wifi calling, VoLTE, etc...unlocked might work but that remains to be seen.
* Differences in protection plans and their availability

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
New guy here. I'm a little confused now. How is the subsidized contract price higher? Dan just reported today that the 950 should be $99 with a new contract. I plan on using my upgrade and starting a new contract with AT&T in order to walk in, pay $99 (+upgrade fee which will be waived) and walk out with a 950. How is that more in the long run than paying MS $549 up front?

On my plan (Mobile Share with 4 phones) bring your own device and ATT Next only costs $15/month per line while on-contract charges $40/line. For me, if I add the $600 in extra monthly cost ($25/month over 24 months) to the cost of the phone on-contract ($99) that is $699 or $150 more than paying $549 up front or, even more economically, splitting the $549 into equal, interest-free monthly payments on ATT Next. YMMV depending upon your plan, but that is the principle (no pun intended).

As Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School, "I feel like I just gave birth...to an accountant."

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is the reason why contracts are almost always a bad idea now with AT&T. You may be able to save a hair on very expensive phones, but at the $500 mark, you're better off going Next or buying outright.

was2wuz

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
On my plan (Mobile Share with 4 phones) bring your own device and ATT Next only costs $15/month per line while on-contract charges $40/line. For me, if I add the $600 in extra monthly cost ($25/month over 24 months) to the cost of the phone on-contract ($99) that is $699 or $150 more than paying $549 up front or, even more economically, splitting the $549 into equal, interest-free monthly payments on ATT Next. YMMV depending upon your plan, but that is the principle (no pun intended).

As Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School, "I feel like I just gave birth...to an accountant."

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems you and I have very similar plans. I suppose the question now is, What are the incentives for buying from ATT vs. from MS? Will MS throw in a dock on band 2 as ATT might?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo