950 - AT&T or unlocked, what's the difference

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I can gather, initially it looks like the 950 will only be available thru AT&T and not unlocked thru MS. Conversely, the 950 XL will only be available unlocked thru MS and not AT&T. This is what I was told by an employee at the local Microsoft Store.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming he means the carrier commitment is the reason for the longer-term costs, which is understandable. However, if you are planning on sticking with AT&T, there really aren't any downfalls to the price with Next.
No there still are downsides. Planning doesn't mean things can't change. It is never GOOD to lose options or have options handicapped. There are LOTS of people who planned to stay with AT&T (or Verizon or their significant other, or ....) that ended up switching for one reason or another. The most successful people are the ones who keep their options open. Its just best practice, like wearing a seat belt even if you never have been in an accident and don't plan to.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
From what I can gather, initially it looks like the 950 will only be available thru AT&T and not unlocked thru MS. Conversely, the 950 XL will only be available unlocked thru MS and not AT&T. This is what I was told by an employee at the local Microsoft Store.

You're right, it seems to be their style to delay their unlocked version in favor of a carrier having theirs available first...or is that really only for AT&T? I just realized that they did this with the 830, 640 XL, and the 635. Did I miss any?
Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store

MiccalM

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
both locked and unlocked are listed on the MS store page. According to the rep I chatted with at the MS store the network the phone is connected will control the updates, regardless of the phone being locked or unlocked...

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
both locked and unlocked are listed on the MS store page. According to the rep I chatted with at the MS store the network the phone is connected will control the updates, regardless of the phone being locked or unlocked...

Well you may be right, but MS themselves have said they will be controlling ALL updates. I know talk is cheap, so we'll have to wait and find out.

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
It's also highly possible that the MS store will sell the unlocked 950 at a premium over the AT&T device. This was done in the past with the unlocked 830 (I think it was $499 unlocked vs $449 plus free Fitbit on AT&T), and it is currently being done with the unlocked 640 XL ($299 unlocked vs $249 on AT&T).

I hope I'm wrong, but searching for the unlocked 950 on the education store indicates that the 10% education discount would save $69.90. If accurate, this means that the unlocked 950 will cost $699. :shocked:

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
AT&T will still have a hand in updates, but apparently it's not as large anymore.
Either way, if buying unlocked isn't an issue, then buy unlocked. Guaranteed fast updates, and no carrier bloatware, and no being locked to one carrier. Get the latest software first, enjoy it free of AT&T's apps and customizations, and go anywhere you want.
You aren't guaranteed fast updates. You're guaranteed that you won't have to wait for Microsoft to fix carrier specific apps and features. Check PTCRB next update and see just how long it actually takes a carrier to approve your update.

Only difference between AT&T and Unlocked is the branding, and the 48 hours you have to wait for your unlock code. That is of course assuming you aren't taking advantage of financing/loyalty departments at AT&T.

Go with whatever is cheaper ;)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, but I do NOT believe that updates will come from the carrier a factory unlocked phone is connected to.

First, almost nobody actually gets updates over any carrier network. Most are over WiFi. It may come from a carrier server but the majority of updates I've done have been with no SIM in the phone at all and hence no carrier involvement. If it was a carrier phone then it came from a carrier server but if it was an unlocked phone it came from the OS or phone maker's server. And almost everywhere in the world carriers have no involvement with updates. That's just part of the dysfunctional US business model. Are we to believe those carriers are suddenly going to start paying to host and serve updates to their customers? And there are some people who never have a carrier and use a phone just for music or navigation, etc..

So I'm not buying that updates to factory unlocked phones will now go thru carriers. And it would be contrary to Microsoft's statements that they want to avoid update delays caused by carriers. It would make that worse by making ALL updates subject to carrier delays when presently just people on US carriers using carrier phones have the problem. And if anyone thinks its hard to get updates for phones a carrier no longer sells, think about relying on those carriers for updates to phones they NEVER sold.

Factory unlocked phones will continue to get their updates from the manufacturer of the OS or device with ZERO carrier involvement.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked phones here in the US not always get updates first. My 830 is still waiting for Update 2 even after being factory unlocked

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...MS themselves have said they will be controlling ALL updates.

My understanding of the strategy is that Win 10 Mo makes more functionality into Apps rather than baked into the core OS.

Carriers still control core OS updates but have no say over Apps. It's a back door to provide more timely updates to end users. Factory Unlocked is still the most reliable update path. The impact of carriers has been lessened, but can not be completely removed. Contrary to popular opinion, even Apple is not free of carrier testing (influence) over OTA updates. They are simply getting fast tracked in a preferential manner. Microsoft is trying to do the best they can to lessen the carrier influence in the process and should have it minimized, but Unlocked still wins my vote and my money.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked phones here in the US not always get updates first. My 830 is still waiting for Update 2 even after being factory unlocked
First, a phone can't become factory unlocked unless you are talking about flashing the phone with some 3rd party flashing program with what's in a phone that was factory unlocked in the first place. Maybe you are talking about carrier unlocked rather than factory unlocked. There are way too many kinds of locks to keep straight.

But my point is that factory unlocked phones (i.e. were NEVER tied to a carrier) will NOT start getting updates from the carriers unless you are talking about updates from the phone or OS maker that happen to come over what ever carrier airways you may be using at the time which is no more related to the carrier than music you stream is. The US is about the only place on earth where there are carrier locked phones and the carriers have any involvement with updates. MS has proclaimed that is a problem for them and is certainly the reason you can't buy a 950 from Verizon. MS is not about to make a change that makes the whole rest of the world (and unlocked US phone users) subject to those problems.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
here's a scary thought....

ATT offers bundles (band2 or dock) and a lower price if bought outright and Microsoft offers the device at RRP (549)

then what?

I'll be stuck - do i go for the bundle or deal with the un-dead carrier?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there a discount buying it from AT&T? Or is the only advantage "free" financing.

Actually since "Next," pricing has been getting worse at ATT, they "charge" more for devices than other retailers. The full price is what the "Next" payment is based on, its basically built in interest.
640XL $249
Priv $739

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
My understanding of the strategy is that Win 10 Mo makes more functionality into Apps rather than baked into the core OS.

Carriers still control core OS updates but have no say over Apps. It's a back door to provide more timely updates to end users. Factory Unlocked is still the most reliable update path. The impact of carriers has been lessened, but can not be completely removed. Contrary to popular opinion, even Apple is not free of carrier testing (influence) over OTA updates. They are simply getting fast tracked in a preferential manner. Microsoft is trying to do the best they can to lessen the carrier influence in the process and should have it minimized, but Unlocked still wins my vote and my money.

Well that's contrary to what they have said. From what I gathered, they want to keep mobile updates consistent with pc updates. The only way to do that is to lessen carrier involvement in the update process so the mobile updates will not come 6 months after the pc updates.

I agree though that unlocked is still the better route as far as updates are concerned.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
UNLOCKED is the best, IF it's the same price (or cheaper) ...

however, factor in incentives (free dock, wireless charger, band) when comparing prices.

IF AT&T charges $599 (w FREE continuum dock) vs. MS @ $559 w nothing - if you want the dock, the AT&T phone is a bit cheaper.

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Both the 950 and the 950XL will likely be available from MS unlocked eventually, but for now, looks like it's only the XL model.
If you check the store, only the XL shows a price, while the 950 just shows "coming soon". No color choices are shown either and the photo just shows the black one.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Well that's contrary to what they have said. From what I gathered, they want to keep mobile updates consistent with pc updates. The only way to do that is to lessen carrier involvement in the update process so the mobile updates will not come 6 months after the pc updates.
What they want isn't necessarily what they can get. And they aren't likely to be shouting their failures from the rooftops. Hence the focus on that they want. They are probably making inroads which explains why AT&T gets the 950s and Verizon doesn't (yet), but I'll eat my hat if they are there yet. Darn! second time I've said that in a week. I've got to get a hat or lose all credibility [/cheap shot opening you can drive a truck through]

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Does whether or not one buys a "factory" unlocked phone, or an AT&T branded phone (paid in full) that gets unlocked with a code from AT&T, affect the availability of the updates?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb