November 20th from ATT

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
My local corporate store indicated today they have no idea, and have had no marketing materials or set up. However, they said the same thing about the Priv, which arrived Monday with no advance warning. They then asked if I wanted to see the Priv, which they had on display all week, but had not yet been turned on. We turned it on and updated Android for them. They then asked why I'd carry an 830 and let me to a nice gs6 or iPhone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

All three times I have contacted AT&T this month inquiring as to the status of the 950 they tried to sell me a different phone with a different OS. I wonder if MS knows that it seems to be AT&T's policy to try and steer customers away from their products?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Just read this article. They claim the 950 will ONLY be available on contract. If you want to pay full price, you'll have to wait for it to become available directly from Microsoft. That is disappointing, if it is true.

Source

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Just read this article. They claim the 950 will ONLY be available on contract. If you want to pay full price, you'll have to wait for it to become available directly from Microsoft. That is disappointing, if it is true.

Source

Taking directly from the first sentence in the second paragraph.

"The phone will only be available on contract or with carrier financing via AT&T."

Carrier financing is AT&T Next. I'd venture to bet that the unlocked 950 through MS will be available after AT&T releases it in their stores on the 20th, it could even be the same day.

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
All three times I have contacted AT&T this month inquiring as to the status of the 950 they tried to sell me a different phone with a different OS. I wonder if MS knows that it seems to be AT&T's policy to try and steer customers away from their products?
Well since att just buys call centers most of the people u talk to aren't trained they just speak personally and most people don't know windows phones even exist besides a few 520s on prepaid. But I have to spend nearly 30mins trying to get a windows phone because nobody even knows how to find them on att

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it was the same article or not, but I read somewhere that MS is expected to start shipping on the 25th.

That's fine, but you can still buy the 950 without going on contract or buying unlocked. I'm sure AT&T got the right to sell the phone first through their stores, then after that MS can sell it unlocked.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Or maybe get the phone now pay it off after a month or so, or even trade it back in, att has a trial period if u don't like the phone

I believe all major carriers in the US have a 14 day trial period, but if you give back the phone they can charge you up to like $35 for a re-stocking fee.

I believe it does, and that extra monthly charge for the phone goes away... but I think you might still be locked into a contract for whatever the initial length of your NEXT plan was? I'm a little fuzzy on that.

Nope, no contract. Once you pay off the device, you may cancel your service if you want. The only contract you sign is with Next or a regular 2 year contract. If you byod, then there is nothing keeping you from getting rid of service whenever you want.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I believe it does, and that extra monthly charge for the phone goes away... but I think you might still be locked into a contract for whatever the initial length of your NEXT plan was? I'm a little fuzzy on that.
Yep. You're right. It's just amazing to me that there are people who will voluntarily lock themselves to a carrier. I mean the simple fact that the carrier considers (with some justification) that anyone who signs up is either dumb or desperate would keep me from doing it even if I was dumb or desperate. Even the desperate should have some self respect. The Devil must be pulling out his hair over carriers making him look like an amateur.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Yep. You're right. It's just amazing to me that there are people who will voluntarily lock themselves to a carrier. I mean the simple fact that the carrier considers (with some justification) that anyone who signs up is either dumb or desperate would keep me from doing it even if I was dumb or desperate. Even the desperate should have some self respect. The Devil must be pulling out his hair over carriers making him look like an amateur.

Just to clear this up, I had a long conversation with AT&T last night about my plan since I was ditching my old unlimited data contract plan I was grandfathered into. Here are the actual facts about NEXT:

The AT&T NEXT plan is not a contract plan. It is a payment plan. No matter which version of NEXT you sign up for (12,18,24,30) you are not locked into a contract for that length of time... ONLY until you pay off the phone, and you can pay it off whenever you want, then you are free to do whatever you like.

Also, I get that you hate carrier contracts as evident by your vitriolic posts on the subject, but why don't you cool it with stuff like calling people dumb & desperate? I have my own reasons for going with the NEXT plan rather than buying the phone outright, none of which involve my level of intelligence or any kind of dire financial straits.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

um, there is also a 3rd option as to why people would jump onto a contract.... If they are in a premiere plan (through your employer)

I don't plan to jump ship from AT&T and i get a nice discount monthly. to top it off, i can upgrade early, and keep my unlimited plan (no 5GB warning, and actually can choose among 3 different unlimited plans, data, data+txt, data+txt+voice)

so, not all of us are dumb or desperate. the only other option for decent service where I live is verizon, and i don't plan jumping to them ever.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T NEXT plan is not a contract plan. It is a payment plan. No matter which version of NEXT you sign up for (12,18,24,30) you are not locked into a contract for that length of time... ONLY until you pay off the phone, and you can pay it off whenever you want, then you are free to do whatever you like.
Okay, I could have sworn I read on the AT&T site that you were committed to use AT&T service for the duration of the Next period. I hope it doesn't effect when a phone can be unlocked.

If you don't have to keep using AT&T after you pay the phone off (for the duration of the Next plan chosen) and can pay it off any time and can get the phone unlocked as soon as you could without Next, then I stand corrected.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
um, there is also a 3rd option as to why people would jump onto a contract.... If they are in a premiere plan (through your employer)

I don't plan to jump ship from AT&T and i get a nice discount monthly. to top it off, i can upgrade early, and keep my unlimited plan (no 5GB warning, and actually can choose among 3 different unlimited plans, data, data+txt, data+txt+voice)

so, not all of us are dumb or desperate. the only other option for decent service where I live is verizon, and i don't plan jumping to them ever.
I should not have said ANYONE. And if it doesn't lock people in or change when they can get a phone unlocked, maybe should have said a minority.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I could have sworn I read on the AT&T site that you were committed to use AT&T service for the duration of the Next period. I hope it doesn't effect when a phone can be unlocked.

If you don't have to keep using AT&T after you pay the phone off (for the duration of the Next plan chosen) and can pay it off any time and can get the phone unlocked as soon as you could without Next, then I stand corrected.

This is how it works. I have no obligation to stay with AT&T besides the phone contract. I can pay off the phone whenever and then switch to whatever service I want (and I get to keep the phone). Now if I switch to Verizon and I have a phone that only works on GSM, then the phone won't work. At that point, I would sell the phone and use that money towards the purchase of a new device. I can also unlock my phone whenever I want. It gives me the option on my account page even though I'm still making Next payments.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Pay now or later, essentially the same thing.

http://www.cnet.com/news/contract-or-no-contract-for-iphone-6-which-is-the-better-deal/

Contract or next plan, you are essentially still in the same boat... A contract on the service and phone for 2 years... Or a contract on just the phone. There is only small savings going with the next plan... One can always buy out of the contract... Whether they pay the balance of the phone off on the next plan or pay the early termination fee (essentially, the balance of the phone) to end the contract.

People try to make others feel bad or declass them for buying on contract or next rather than outright... Seriously, who jumps carriers every quarter? Personally, I have no plan to leave att. But I have not had a contract for years and have bought phones outright.

Here is the deal, ATT is making the same money... Or other carrier. No matter how you chop it up, you will pay about the same... So pick your poison. We all have a choice...

I personally like to wait a bit to buy the phone outright for a better price... I have found there is nothing life changing about having something day one... When I will be doing the same thing that I was with the previous device... If it does not make me money or save me money, it is not an investment worth chasing day one...

Get what you want, however you want and dont worry what people on the forums think of how you paid... Again pay now or later, you will still pay.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077