November 20th from ATT

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I could have sworn I read on the AT&T site that you were committed to use AT&T service for the duration of the Next period. I hope it doesn't effect when a phone can be unlocked.

I can understand why you thought that, I did as well. Honestly, I haven't given my cellular plan a second glance since 2007, so going into this new situation I had to learn how much the industry has changed over the years. It certainly seems less toxic to me than it used to be.

So, for the numbers, switching from my grandfathered Cingular/AT&T unlimited data plan to AT&T's NEXT30 my bill went from $102/mo with my OWN phone, to $76/mo with my new Lumia950 on payments. That $76 is INCLUDING payments.

When I think about all the extra money I've been giving AT&T for the past few years, I want to cry.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep. You're right. It's just amazing to me that there are people who will voluntarily lock themselves to a carrier. I mean the simple fact that the carrier considers (with some justification) that anyone who signs up is either dumb or desperate would keep me from doing it even if I was dumb or desperate. Even the desperate should have some self respect. The Devil must be pulling out his hair over carriers making him look like an amateur.

The fact is that few people switch carriers anyway. I do understand what you're saying, and you are correct to a point, but in real life whether you can switch or not makes absolutely no difference to most people. It's not like everyone is out there every other month looking for a new carrier. And kind of related, while I personally hate how US carriers lock their phones, in real life this makes no difference to most customers. But me? Factory unlocked all the way.

While we're on the subject, how often do you switch carriers?

And to add something else, this situation is pretty much limited to WP users. If you use Android or iPhone, virtually all devices are available on all carriers. WP users need to switch carriers simply to get the model they want.

Read the other forums. These rants are only here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Contract or next plan, you are essentially still in the same boat... A contract on the service and phone for 2 years... Or a contract o just the phone. There is only small savings going with the next plan... One can always buy out of the contract... Whether they pay the balance of the phone off on the next plan or pay the early termination fee (essentially, the balance of the phone) to end the contract.

People try to make other feel bad or declass them for buying on contract or next rather than outright... Seriously, who jumps carriers every quarter? Personally, I have no plan to leave att. But I have not had a contract for years and have bought phones outright.

Agreed, it doesn't make much difference how you buy your phone. In fact, in certain cases it is cheaper to buy the phone on contract and then immediately cancel the contract and pay the ETF rather than buying the phone outright. Contracts aren't all bad.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That is what people used to do with iphones and other smartphones. The subsidized price plus ETF was cheaper than the phone in a lot of circumstances. This made the carriers raise their etf prices, lol.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If I had only known.

Yeah now it is like$325 for att, but it used to be like 200, so... 200 or so for a phone... Then the etf 200... You got a $600 phone for $400, lol.

Pwople are more afraid of etf than contracts, lol. Companies have scares people with the fee to cancel and people live by it... I will cancel anything if I need to... The company will be like there ia a fee... Im like, that's next month payment anyhow... So, what's your point... Then they are like... Dont leave... And give in to my demand. Whoo hoo hah haahaaaa!!! Just kidding, But they know I can/will so we even the table to make things right.

You have to see all the sides, know the terms, know where you stand, and always know you have a choice. I always find the win for me :)

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
All three times I have contacted AT&T this month inquiring as to the status of the 950 they tried to sell me a different phone with a different OS. I wonder if MS knows that it seems to be AT&T's policy to try and steer customers away from their products?
I remember something similar with my Lumia 900 when it first came out, I was having problems staying connected to the cell network, so I called AT&T. Their response was that, yeah, the Window's OS phones were terrible, and that I should think about moving to something else. I was pretty surprised at the time, that rather than giving me help to solve my problem with their network, they suggested changing phones.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I remember something similar with my Lumia 900 when it first came out, I was having problems staying connected to the cell network, so I called AT&T. Their response was that, yeah, the Window's OS phones were terrible, and that I should think about moving to something else. I was pretty surprised at the time, that rather than giving me help to solve my problem with their network, they suggested changing phones.

similar issue with the htc titan (wp7). after 4 exchanges with crap reception, I demanded an exchange. I was told "there are no windows equivalents and to pick an android device". I sain No, and the site listed the titan 2 and lumia 900 in stock. give me one of those. well, after 1 rep refused to honor it a day later, I escalated the issue and got a new lumia 900.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss