950 and the 2-year contract

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm always leery when a company seems unusually generous.
I've had the next 12 plan since launch, its only bad if you trade in the phone before the 20 month because it ends up being an expensive rental. You end up winning, if you keep it the full term then trade in the phone for another next plan. At&t knows they are banking in because they're slowly becoming the number one network.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So if I forego the 2-year contract, that leaves me with Next or buying the device outright (either from ATT or Microsoft). If I have no intention of moving from ATT, it seems like Next is the better way to go.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I originally typed Sprint accidently, but that won't work as it uses CDMA network, so I edited it. I meant to type Tmobile, and yes it would work. ATT and Tmo are both GSM.

I can speak form personal experience in taking an AT&T phone to TMobile and the service was dramatically different. Granted this was years ago (Dell Venue Pro running WP7) so hopefully things have changed. However back then the service on TMobile was awful. I couldn't even reach 3G and had to sell the phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So if I forego the 2-year contract, that leaves me with Next or buying the device outright (either from ATT or Microsoft). If I have no intention of moving from ATT, it seems like Next is the better way to go.
The downsides have been posted so many times its not worth carpel tunnel to repeat. You don't mention the downsides of a carrier locked phone or of the Next program. You can do what you want but since you don't mention anything but payment options, hope you don't get blindsided or fall victim to just feeling lucky. Lots of people don't later regret it, hope you are one.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T chat gal told me for one line bought outright it would be $55 if I already owned the phone. The subsidized price was $149 and she told me it would be $70 total per month. (So there's your $15 being used on the Lumia 950) I sent her back the first time since she told me they would both be $70. I knew that was wrong so I made her work. I actually copied and tried to paste the conversation last night but for whatever reason the copy didn't take and the chat was gone. That's actually not a bad price considering 15 x 24 = 360 and add the $149 to that and you get $509.99 but they get a contract.

Eta is $350 -$10 for each month after... Just about price in the end... Att will make their money. People need to see the whole picture...

Op, do what method you are comfortable with paying at this, month, etc. Contract, next, or outright purchase... Just about the same in the end.

For me, next is cheaper or the same as buying outright. I have 20GB/month plus rollover... Which I never use more than$5... I need to fix this... Hmmm...

One can always buy out of a etf or next contract buy paying the balance, just about the same...

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
- If you have the cash buy the phone outright (phone is $50 cheaper than Att Next price).

- If you don't have the cash go with the next program (you get the monthly data discount).

- There is no reason to go with the $150 upfront subsidy plan, since they penalize you each month by not giving you a data discount.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, just threaten to switch. I like to do it nonchalantly and say something like 'Yea my neighbor has Verizon, he says he loves it and I've been thinking about switching. Maybe I'll head over there when we're done here'

My mom bought her first smartphone a couple of weeks ago at a local verizon store. Her and my dad have used each others upgrades and weren't sure if she could even get a new phone, the salesman also seemed like he wasn't sure. It looked like she wasn't going to be able to get it, when I said something like, 'well att will buy out your contract, we should go check them out'. He said 'hang on' and immediately went over to his computer. In about a minute, he was like 'ok we're all good, I got it straightened out and we can get you the upgrade'. Lol, it was pretty funny to see him immediately fix the issue that he couldn't seem to figure out before.

Sounds like me for sure... Knowledge is power, lol.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
- If you have the cash buy the phone outright (phone is $50 cheaper than Att Next price).

- If you don't have the cash go with the next program (you get the monthly data discount).

- There is no reason to go with the $150 upfront subsidy plan, since they penalize you each month by not giving you a data discount.

The extra money that people sees as. Discount actually is a masked payment... That is what pays the subsidy or the balance off the phone... They aren't just just trying to keep you there... You can always pay the etf and get out of the contract... Or with next, just pay the full balance.

Thing is, timing of what you want to do... Do you plan on leaving? of course buying outright is cheapest, especially later... Buy when you have otions to spread out, there is a finance change or what ever you want to call it, you are paying for that privilege which some people would find to be worth it.

Stop fearing the contract people...no matter how you chop it up, it is just about the same... With max $100-200 difference. I have seen where contract purchase plus etf being cheaper many times..;O)

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I ran the numbers and calculated total cost of ownership over 2 years:

With the 2GB Mobile Share plan I'm on now (off contract), I pay $49.30/month with a corporate discount

My calculations are:
2-year contract total cost: $1905.95 ($149.99 for phone; $45 upgrade fee; $71.29/month including $6.99/mo insurance)
Next 24 total 2-year cost: $1950 (24.95/month for phone; $49.30/month plan; $6.99/mo insurance)
Unlocked 2-year cost: $1808 (assumes $625 for phone + Microsoft Complete; $49.30/month plan)

There is a $45 "Upgrade Fee" if you buy it on the 2-year contract. What is not clear is whether I would have to pay that to use an Unlocked phone on ATT. Even if that's the case, it's still cheaper to buy the phone from Microsoft assuming sale price is $550. If I were more patients, I'd wait for the sales and bundles but my Lumia 1020 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I ran the numbers and calculated total cost of ownership over 2 years:

With the 2GB Mobile Share plan I'm on now (off contract), I pay $49.30/month with a corporate discount

My calculations are:
2-year contract total cost: $1905.95 ($149.99 for phone; $45 upgrade fee; $71.29/month including $6.99/mo insurance)
Next 24 total 2-year cost: $1950 (24.95/month for phone; $49.30/month plan; $6.99/mo insurance)
Unlocked 2-year cost: $1808 (assumes $625 for phone + Microsoft Complete; $49.30/month plan)

There is a $45 "Upgrade Fee" if you buy it on the 2-year contract. What is not clear is whether I would have to pay that to use an Unlocked phone on ATT. Even if that's the case, it's still cheaper to buy the phone from Microsoft assuming sale price is $550. If I were more patients, I'd wait for the sales and bundles but my Lumia 1020 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

You do not have to pay the 45 upgrade fee to use unlocked phone... Just put your sim card in... You're done :)

Yeah, for situations, it ai cheaper to buy the phone... U never hurts to weight all options, realistically to see what works for you... Like you did above. In the grand scheme, even the savings would not be seen by many people... They would find one way or another to waste it quickly.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I was an AT&T rep and someone came into my store and threatened to switch to another carrier over a Lumia 950, I would know that they won't!

We'll, I might, so you knew incorrectly. I'm not paying the $45 upgrade fee and a higher monthly. I can decide to just pay up for the unlocked and go to T-mobile.

Posted from this here device.

Gary Berns

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I renewed my contract and they grandfathered my plan. Saved $400. More than compensated for locked phone. Been with them for 8 years and have no thought of leaving.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I renewed my contract and they grandfathered my plan. Saved $400. More than compensated for locked phone. Been with them for 8 years and have no thought of leaving.

Cool. Glad that worked for you. Some people just try to separate and tier/class everything.

I still do y know how I will get my phone... If I will get his phone at all... Just have nit found a reason other than its new... If that is not reason enough, lol!

I don't really miss my 1520... It was buggy... my current 640 gets the job done... I will be going to check out the phone in person soon enough... I have held off going to my local Microsoft store. When I mom visits for thanksgiving, I take her to see *all* phones so I can replace her 920 with anything phone she selects... Hope she stays with windows... She said she wanted a windows tablet, but we got her an iPad mini.. Mistake... She never uses it... Shoot..

I Digressed...

boomerz

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
With the 2 year contract plan you just pay more up front with $149.99 + tax and lose either the $15 or $25 line discount if you are on Next plan or BYOD based upon which data plan you have but you will get the discount back once the 2 year contract ends. With Next plan you just pay the tax up front but will pay the full $599.99 over time but get the $15 or $25 line discount per month. I think the activation/upgrade fee is $45 for 2 year contract and now they added $15 for the Next plans.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
(1) almost
(2) its still a carrier locked phone
(3) I can replace my factory unlocked 950 five minutes after I get it. If Next lets me upgrade sooner, do I feel silly!?!

I can replace the 950 five minutes after I get it too. Just pay it off and get another phone, or just buy an unlocked phone and swap sims.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte