Lumia 950 and Insider Program

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been answered already so I apologize if it has...

I just ordered the 950 from AT&T. Can I install the Insider Preview app on it and get new builds? I'm not fond of the idea of being stuck on the shipped build. Is the phone supported by the Insider program?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I imagine you'll be able to sign up for Insider sometime after launch, so don't worry about it. Its probably going to be most recent for some time though.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I just tweeted Gabe about it as well. I hope he responds. I have to image that MS is going to push a new Insider build within the next couple of days based on Gabe's comments, but if the phones have already been manufactured and boxed, I have to image it will be a lesser build than the next Insider Preview.

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm 99% sure the Insider Program will work just fine on 950, and will be one of the first devices they check for new build compatibility.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
my guess, there will be a few updates within the next couple of months to fix and add features regardless if you're an insider or not.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I hope so. I'm just nervous because Microsoft said that AT&T will still have a say in when the updates get delivered. I don't know exactly what that means, but AT&T doesn't have a great track record of being quick with their approval process. If I can register the 950 as an Insider, then I can bypass all of AT&Ts red tape. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
10586 was delayed for OTA push to Insiders... However, I would assume that RTM went out. I expect Lumia 950 will have an OTA waiting to provide the best OOBE possible.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Installed Insider Preview App. Insider Fast Ring Configuration Update fails every time. Probably not available for the 950. *Sad face*

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So, it will be very interesting to me to see whether the Microsoft Unlocked 950 can install and accept Fast Ring. If AT&T has hobbled this, all the more reason to go straight Microsoft Unlocked.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So, it will be very interesting to me to see whether the Microsoft Unlocked 950 can install and accept Fast Ring. If AT&T has hobbled this, all the more reason to go straight Microsoft Unlocked.

At the moment, it's failing on an insider configuration update right off the bat. Can't get beyond that to install new builds.

My guess is that 950 is not currently listed as a compatible device so it's not installing.

Hopefully fix soon.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
At the moment, it's failing on an insider configuration update right off the bat. Can't get beyond that to install new builds.

My guess is that 950 is not currently listed as a compatible device so it's not installing.

Hopefully fix soon.

Just tried again, same thing. Hopefully, they'll enable the Insider Preview soon...although, not like we have a new build.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Saw this tweet from Gabe yesterday (21 Nov) in response to whether Lumia 950/XL are on Insider Preview for latest build:

@zeke_again Not yet, we need to get some support in place for 950 & 950XL to enable them for Insider Previews

I'm actually rather stunned that the flagship phone "built for WIndows fans" doesn't support Windows Insider OOTB.

I didn't have high hopes for the 950 but as a committed Microsoft fan, I have to say I'm disappointed the phones don't seem to be getting much attention at all from Microsoft.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Saw this tweet from Gabe yesterday (21 Nov) in response to whether Lumia 950/XL are on Insider Preview for latest build:

@zeke_again Not yet, we need to get some support in place for 950 & 950XL to enable them for Insider Previews

I'm actually rather stunned that the flagship phone "built for WIndows fans" doesn't support Windows Insider OOTB.

I didn't have high hopes for the 950 but as a committed Microsoft fan, I have to say I'm disappointed the phones don't seem to be getting much attention at all from Microsoft.

In all fairness to Gabe, its not like there is another build available above 10586. If they push another build and still don't have support, then I'll be a little cheesed.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In all fairness to Gabe, its not like there is another build available above 10586. If they push another build and still don't have support, then I'll be a little cheesed.

I don't blame Gabe and team at all. Just being able to join the Windows Insider program is fantastic. It's great for fans/enthusiasts and a useful crowdsourced beta testing feedback cycle for Microsoft. No complaints there. However, my understanding is that the Lumia 950 is running 10586.00 and the latest update is 10586.11, right?

Maybe it's still the silos that exist within Microsoft, but I would have expected to have support, including new builds of WM10, as a high priority for the flagship phone on day one. A bug squashing team ready to assault any problems to show Microsoft is committed to supporting the flagship phone(s).

The more I've read about the 950, the less excited I am about upgrading, especially if bugs that have been addressed in the build x586.11 are still present in the 950 but could have been fixed day 1 if the right resources had been put in place. But admittedly, I don't have the phone yet (waiting for unlocked) and maybe it's not as bad as I'm reading. As a windows enthusiast, I'd like to see this amazing new ecosystem built around windows 10 take off, but stumbles like a beta-quality OS launch on the flagship phone and the confusing launch/marketing sure don't attract more consumers.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't blame Gabe and team at all. Just being able to join the Windows Insider program is fantastic. It's great for fans/enthusiasts and a useful crowdsourced beta testing feedback cycle for Microsoft. No complaints there. However, my understanding is that the Lumia 950 is running 10586.00 and the latest update is 10586.11, right?

I just checked my 950. You're right, its .00 not .11. Consider me cheesed!

I'm surprised that Microsoft didn't have a Day 0 patch ready. All I want is for the phone to not be this buggy. They're lucky its all their fans that are buying it, because otherwise it would be doomed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo