Pictures + Videos Taken With My Lumia 950

alan saunders

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Overall, I've been very happy with the phone (especially for still photos). However, the video capabilities have been less than stellar. Lots of dropped frames. Although now I'm wondering if that has to do with videos being recorded to an SD card...
WP_20151128_15_54_25_Rich.jpg
WP_20151128_16_04_44_Rich.jpg
radar_thanksgiving.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't seem to add links to my video tests as I haven't accrued enough posts on this forum yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Although now I'm wondering if that has to do with videos being recorded to an SD card...

Yep, the card will greatly affect things.

Try scaling back on the quality being shot and see if that helps. Especially if your card is not uhs-1 or better.

FWIW, on my 4k capable 1520 I still shoot 720p at 30 fps. Quality is fine for what I'm doing and no struggles with a class 10 card.

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Went out and took some pictures with both my 950 and 1020 in order to compare images.

-The most notable difference is the speed of the camera on the 950, its fast even when saving the DNG image with it. Also, the launch time of the camera and opening the photo gallery from the camera app are all much quicker.
-The next thing that came quickly apparent was that the 950 is much better in macro (very close up) shots. With the 1020 I keep moving the camera back, little by little, and pressing the shutter halfway to see if it will autofocus on the close up object. I wind up having to take the photo from farther away and then zooming in or reframing the photo. The 950 just worked and focused well on close up objects.
-Also, big difference in the quality of the front facing camera. I rarely use the FFC, but tried them out and the 950 is much better.
-Also soon noticed, the 1020 has a wider field of view than the 950. Not sure how to measure it exactly, but coming from the 1020 it was noticeable right away that I could capture a little larger area with the 1020 than the 950.
-Was surprised how different the images looked sometimes between the two Lumias. The 950 seems to have a pretty high sharpness setting, especially when zooming in at all the edges quickly become more jagged. However, when opening the .png images the photos don't suffer from the same over sharpening as the .jpgs. So at least that's a workaround.
-Didn't really test it much, but seems like the lossless zoom by reframing and zooming in on the 1020 works better than zooming in on photos with the 950.
-Software is a little different so still adjusting to 950 camera app. Though honestly, it took me a long time to adjust to the 1020 as the different, but similarly named, camera apps were tricky to keep straight.
-Have noticed a few times accidentally triggering the camera shutter button, it's much more sensitive than the 1020 button and doesn't take much touch at all.
-Did not get a chance to compare low light shots yet, so I'll have to get around to that.

I still need to spend more time with the 950 to make a good decision about it, but so far I think it's pretty good. The photos come out sharper, but that's negated by using the .dng format and isn't that noticeable unless blowing up or zooming in. Any minor drawback in overall image quality (if there is any) would be a fair trade off for how much quicker the camera is and the ability for better macro shots. The more square shape of the 950 provides a better grip in the hand than the naked 1020 which always feels a little slippery.

Most of the drawbacks I think of are not having the camera case to add battery life, increase grip, and add tripod mount. Also, I recently started using the lanyard with the 1020 and actually like it there. The camera button does feel just a bit cheaper than the 1020 but that's nitpicking. Since I haven't tested with night time shooting, unsure if I'll miss the xenon flash or not.

**Looks like only two photos uploaded, one of my watch was the 950, the stadium was the 1020, not sure why I'm having photo upload issues. I'll try again later.

Attachments

• WP_20151128_15_36_13_Raw.jpg
    WP_20151128_15_36_13_Raw.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • WP_20151128_11_15_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151128_11_15_53_Pro.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is my first test with the new tri-color flash - colors and lines came out nice - zoomed in, detail is razor sharp - better in some regards than xenon!

WP_20151126_16_47_13_Rich_LI.jpg

This one I'm not so thrilled with. The tri-color gives a great skin texture and tone, but made him look like he's wearing lipstick. Need to learn how to partially desaturate the lips and the shot would be near perfect..

WP_20151126_18_54_17_Rich_LI.jpg

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I think the images look perfect. I am curious as trying to shoot moving objects what results we'll get. I am trying to take some photos of my daugther but she is always moving and the galaxy s6 doesn't handle it...

Can't wait the 950 that is paid and waiting to be delivered starting tomorrow so I can take some comparison shots vs the s6 (which is borrowed untill the 950 arrives) and the sony z3 compact.

From what I see up till now, is much better than the s6 (which is better than the z3compact). we'll see :)

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you use Rich Capture with the flash and adjust the result in 'custom' after the shots? (Love that option on my 1520, BTW, although I rarely use flash).

The colors look great and the flash is not intrusive.

On the 950, Rich Capture is automatically activated depending on lighting conditions unless you purposefully deactivate. in the case of the pictures I just posted, the camera just did its thing - I did not move any sliders or make any post shot adjustments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss