Pictures + Videos Taken With My Lumia 950

willyb1973

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Photo of the moon with my Lumia 950 through a big telescope in Turku, Finland.
It wasn't so easy to line up the lens with the end of the telecope perfectly and keep it still while I tried to focus & take the pic,
especially as it was -20 degrees C last night. But I was quite pleased with this one, which was my first attempt.
Someone then came along with an SLR camera and managed to attach it to the telescope (like a lens),
so she managed to get a much straighter & clearer pic, but it looked like quite similar level of detail.

(Used Adobe Photoshop Express just to crop the image)

Shooting the Moon is one of the more difficult tasks you can do With a camera/phone! This is a great result! :)

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
All 950 settings on automatic, no post processing

wp_20160320_12_52_04_pro_li.jpg

wp_20160320_12_54_28_pro_li.jpg

Mark Turner Images

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Grabbed these in my loungeroom after borrowing a few of my kids figurines. Very impressed with the 950's camera.
I'd say probably better than most entry level DSLRs in terms of detail.
Lumia950 Test 3 (13 of 14).jpgLumia950 Test 3 (9 of 14).jpgLumia950 Test 3 (7 of 14).jpg

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Unedited videos:

A quite remarkable street footage in 4K (I will explore this and others I took recently on my blog about mobile imaging):

Some really low light shot. Again, quite impressive.

Lightning:

Last edited:

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Be sure to force 1080p for best quality.

Things I've learned so far shooting concert vids on the Lumia 950:

• 1080p at 24p is KING. Don't bother with the other settings. 30fps looks like garbage video, 60fps doesn't let you zoom in worth anything and it doesn't seem capture motion evenly, and 4K - while it is a higher resolution, requires much more babying of the exposure and artifacts to gross-like status in most low-light settings... not to mention - no zoom.
  • Changing Exposure AND Zoom while shooting video is a god-send for shooting concert videos. While I miss the amazingness of the zoom on my Lumia 1020, not being able to zoom smoothly and change focus/exposure once you start shooting - is such an incredible feature that really pushes this camera ahead in just plain functionality's sake despite the lower MP count.
  • Set the auto-focus just by tapping at your subject ONCE at the beginning of the show and let the phone do it's thing. Everytime I second-guessed myself on whether I was in focus (spoiler, I was), f'n with the focus mid-song (unless you're super close), made for bad video watching. It seems just messing with the focus during a video will put the focus slider all the way to a blurry extreme that requires an immediate correction. I suspect having the 950 XL would help in this regard (easier to see whether you're in focus cause of the bigger screen)... BUT...
  • The 950 is the perfect size for shooting a stable, smooth video. I shot these vids with the digital stabilization off. Shooting with the 1520 was too bulky and awkward and it seemed everytime I went to update my settings mid-shoot, the phone would wobble like crazy.
  • Fantastic audio out of this little guy. I wish the mics were this good while I'm using the speakerphone in my car, though... :/
  • If you're going to shoot video on this phone in a concert setting - STAY AWAY FROM INSIDER BUILDS. I cannot tell you how many times my camera app either crashes or forces my phone to reboot on insider builds. I made sure to blow the phone back to factory settings and get the latest approved bits before my shoot and boy was I happy. All but two of my vids were saved to the SD card successfully (I saved the others to the phone's internal memory). No corrupted bits. No crashes. No reboots. Just three weeks ago it seemed everytime I went to take a couple of photos, two or three would be corrupted while forcing my phone into a reboot.

I'm shooting Beirut this Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv_YVVuAJOx_rx4iyCPh2UIFWFR1AXfyj[/video]

Last edited:

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaymCduPM2s

Be sure to force 1080p for best quality.

Things I've learned so far shooting concert vids on the Lumia 950:

• 1080p at 24p is KING. Don't bother with the other settings. 30fps looks like garbage video, 60fps doesn't let you zoom in worth anything and it doesn't seem capture motion evenly, and 4K - while it is a higher resolution, requires much more babying of the exposure and artifacts to gross-like status in most low-light settings... not to mention - no zoom.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv_YVVuAJOx_rx4iyCPh2UIFWFR1AXfyj[/url]

• I'll use the song title:

'Are You Serious?!?!'

Other modes are garbage? 30 fps is wonderful if you use the right settings.

4K resolution is a peach and, if you don't need zooming, is the way to go. No artifacts whatsoever.

'more babying of the exposure and artifacts to gross-like status'

What do you mean by that?

Have you seen my videos before yours?

24 fps is precisely the WORST setting for street footage. Moving subjects leave light trails on the frame as they move by. I would stick with either 25 fps or 30 fps.

Concert shooting is not proper low light, as we have strong light sources in the frame.

I currently have a blog where I dig into detail on video mode and low light.

BTW: Your left audio channel is somewhat muted. You must see my article regarding this problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss