Lumia 950 delivery...tomorrow (11/18)?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just received the white 950. I got expedited shipping from AT&T (ordered yesterday as an upgrade from my 1520). I'm restoring my last backup from my 1520. It will take a while :). Now I just need to get a case or a protective wrap. The phone feels good in the hand, easy to hold, and the screen is amazing looking. I'm still going through the setup, so I can't say how it will be moving to a slightly smaller phone from my 1520. All in all I'm happy so far.

Take care,
Alain

pls post photos of setup or other photos of when you can - we are a demanding people here at WindowsCentral :)
and of course any photos you take with the 950 itself with your thoughts of 1520 camera comparison
and congrats!

banamisin

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I just received the white 950. I got expedited shipping from AT&T (ordered yesterday as an upgrade from my 1520). I'm restoring my last backup from my 1520. It will take a while :). Now I just need to get a case or a protective wrap. The phone feels good in the hand, easy to hold, and the screen is amazing looking. I'm still going through the setup, so I can't say how it will be moving to a slightly smaller phone from my 1520. All in all I'm happy so far.

Take care,
Alain
Is there fm radio?

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
It also transfers call history too, and texts if you remember to turn on backup for that one. It would be like your phone never changed, even though it did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to restore from a backup for the old texts to come through. I believe restoring from a backup is just for apps and settings. I've wiped my 925 with the new mobile insider builds every time, never restore from backups, and the texts seem to restore without an issue.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to restore from a backup for the old texts to come through. I believe restoring from a backup is just for apps and settings. I've wiped my 925 with the new mobile insider builds every time, never restore from backups, and the texts seem to restore without an issue.

the 920 next to my 830 says you do. if i restore from the 830 backup, all txts come back, if not, no txts get restored.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
the 920 next to my 830 says you do. if i restore from the 830 backup, all txts come back, if not, no txts get restored.
You have gone into the settings and made sure text backup was turned on? It takes a little while but they will show up even on a device you never restored.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You have gone into the settings and made sure text backup was turned on? It takes a little while but they will show up even on a device you never restored.

i do, and nope, not on my 920 running windows 10, unless by litle while you mean over 2 weeks before it starts. same MS account used on both devices. has always been that way for me. restore brings back everything, no restore brings back nothing at all.

dstevek

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For those who bought the AT&T locked version, I am interested in understanding what modifications AT&T has applied to the Lumia 950. I assume their standard bloatware and carrier lock - anything else? I would prefer an unlocked one, but someone else pays my bill and I will take what I can get. :) I'll be coming from the Lumia 920, which has been a great phone for me.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
i do, and nope, not on my 920 running windows 10, unless by litle while you mean over 2 weeks before it starts. same MS account used on both devices. has always been that way for me. restore brings back everything, no restore brings back nothing at all.
Strange indeed. There was a glitch I encountered a couple weeks ago, only "certain" messages were appearing on the non-restored devices. Then I actually upgraded my primary phone to 10581 from 8.1 and I think they all showed up after that. Something about the upgrade on the device containing all the messages released them for other devices on W10M.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Strange indeed. There was a glitch I encountered a couple weeks ago, only "certain" messages were appearing on the non-restored devices. Then I actually upgraded my primary phone to 10581 from 8.1 and I think they all showed up after that. Something about the upgrade on the device containing all the messages released them for other devices on W10M.

that could be it... my 830 is still on 8.1, so none of my messages have ever been on a windows mobile 10 device. with skype integration in the messaging app on wm10, then it seems possible to have messages restored without choosing to restore at all. that is neat.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For those who bought the AT&T locked version, I am interested in understanding what modifications AT&T has applied to the Lumia 950. I assume their standard bloatware and carrier lock - anything else? I would prefer an unlocked one, but someone else pays my bill and I will take what I can get. :) I'll be coming from the Lumia 920, which has been a great phone for me.

It is my understanding that the AT&T phones contain support for dual wireless charging: PMA in addition to Qi. I don't have any PMA accessories, so I'll be unable to test this, but Daniel Rubino says so...so no argument here!

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will say this... the phone is nice. It's not as nice as I thought it would be, or would like it to be. Build quality is about on par with my 640XL. Nowhere near the quality of new Android or iPhones.

Also... the phone gets HOT. I didn't even restore a backup, and just letting it sync my contacts, it's very warm to the touch.

We'll see how it plays out once I have some time with it.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, you can't really judge heat at initial setup with all the required network activity of restores, app updates, etc. Best to let it settle down a couple of days.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just as another noteworthy piece of information. I've had the phone crash twice just trying to choose a ringtone. Also, the speaker sucks.

I'm really hoping for better out of this device. Unfortunately I have been spoiled on the overall experience of a device by using an iPhone 6 and 6S since July. Been a WP guy since the old WM days.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

There is an AT&T logo when the phone boots, and a half a dozen pre-installed apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss