Just noticed something on the Lumia 950 page... SIM Free...

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of dual SIMs but not SIM Free. I was on the Microsoft Store site in the MS Offer's tab showing AT&T's black and white selections when I noticed it. I probably have missed something here but figured I'd ask...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950/offers/

MG

Simply means that the phone isn't locked to one carrier (in a nutshell)

interesting point...
SIM free in the UK means not coming with a SIM and is NOT the same as unlocked...
and thats why the mention of 2yr contract required to get the 149.99 pricing for the black and the white (2 offers)

but why mention SIM free on a US website?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
but why mention SIM free on a US website?
Two theories

(1) To maintain a near perfect record of confusing, ambiguous or misleading information.
(2) They had an intern make the description; the intern copy pasted from a foreign market document. They didn't have an intern proof read it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Funny how free can mean no cost and without, meaning costs extra.

Example: Free OneDrive. OneDrive-free.
And a lot of people think fat free means a product has no fat when legally it just means they don't charge you for the fat.

And has anyone else noticed some restaurants charge more for gluten free items? I just order the regular and ask for the gluten on the side.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you have many a waitress going off to the kitchen confused... Then coming back all apologetic. :winktongue:
I have an ongoing battle with restaurants. Kinda like I have with everything else.

Have you ever noticed if you ask for Coke, they almost always say "Is Pepsi okay?" and if you ask for Pepsi, they say "is Coke okay?". My theory is they all have both and just want to mess with you.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
All,

As I understand it from a couple of sources including an online chat with AT&T the phone can be bought three ways:

1. Under a 2 year contract locked to AT&T

2. With no contract from AT&T. The phone is initially locked but unlocking can be requested after the 14 day buyer's remorse period.

3. With no SIM unlocked from Microsoft. Under this scenario you get a clean phone with no AT&T bloatware.

Option 3 is what I'm doing but I have to physically show up at a Microsoft Store to pre-order it. I'll be doing that Saturday and inserting the Nano SIM from my iPhone 5S. I'll be ordering a dual SIM model, so I can use it more easily for overseas travel.

My $0.02 (USD),

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos