Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

Transport3r

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have problems with Cortana replying to weather queries?
When asking 'what's the weather like today' she just searches Bing for that query.
When asking 'What are you wearing?' she responds with the usual witty phrases ('Just a little something I picked up in Engineering')
So she doesn't default to Bing searching everything, just weather queries. Her weather cards are still showing, so she is getting the weather data.
Tried a soft reset, no dice.

Fixed this with a hard reset. Unfortunately that's what it took.
I suspect it has something to do with installing the Blue Skies weather app.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A couple of new issues:

The camera app locks up relatively often. I'll be in the middle of taking pictures and it hangs. I can back out to the home screen, but to get the camera working again I need to restart the phone. A couple of days ago, however, the phone restarted while snapping photos.

I also find that when the phone is closed the camera button is usually unresponsive. Initially I found that I'd have to hold the phone vertically for the button to work, but since it's worked inconsistently. Sometimes it works regardless of orientation, like my old 920, other times not at all. I don't think it's the button itself because when the phone is on the button responds every single time.

I've also started finding the power button to be unresponsive. It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, it requires 3-4 presses before the phone turns on. Again, when the phone is already on the button responds every time.

One more thing... OneDrive never works properly. It always fails after the first upload. I've always had problems on my 920, but here it's borderline useless. I have to baby the app to ensure all photos get uploaded.

Last edited:

treeflip7

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have problems with Cortana replying to weather queries?
When asking 'what's the weather like today' she just searches Bing for that query.
When asking 'What are you wearing?' she responds with the usual witty phrases ('Just a little something I picked up in Engineering')
So she doesn't default to Bing searching everything, just weather queries. Her weather cards are still showing, so she is getting the weather data.
Tried a soft reset, no dice.

I'm having this issue too. Otherwise, cortana is super fast and responsive. Hey cortana is amazingly effective.

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
In general my 950 is acting pretty good. This morning a calendar event pop up woke me up at 6am despite the fact I have quiet hours set until 7am. It worked the morning before, but did not work this morning. It was not in 'quiet time' mode.. I changed the ending time to 7:05am and all of a sudden it knew it was 'quiet time'. Hope that makes sense.. I still need more coffee.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I have this weird issue, when my phone is off and I plug it in to charge it, about half the time it boots up automatically. Strange.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
A couple of new issues:

The camera app locks up relatively often. I'll be in the middle of taking pictures and it hangs. I can back out to the home screen, but to get the camera working again I need to restart the phone. A couple of days ago, however, the phone restarted while snapping photos.

I also find that when the phone is closed the camera button is usually unresponsive. Initially I found that I'd have to hold the phone vertically for the button to work, but since it's worked inconsistently. Sometimes it works regardless of orientation, like my old 920, other times not at all. I don't think it's the button itself because when the phone is on the button responds every single time.

I've also started finding the power button to be unresponsive. It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, it requires 3-4 presses before the phone turns on. Again, when the phone is already on the button responds every time.

One more thing... OneDrive never works properly. It always fails after the first upload. I've always had problems on my 920, but here it's borderline useless. I have to baby the app to ensure all photos get uploaded.

I'm having this issue too. Otherwise, cortana is super fast and responsive. Hey cortana is amazingly effective.
are you 2, saving to SD cards or internal storage? If using an SD card, is it new? old? class 10? etc, etc?

a screwy card "could" explain your problem..... or not.

MrVanimal

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
So far my issues are as follows:

Battery drain from 100% - My phone will go from 100% to 94% with no percentage in between. Phone lasts a day with moderate usage.
Phone does get warm when just browsing
Text notifications do not show upon the live tile or on the lock screen. I have a Band 2 and that's the only way I get notified. This is my biggest pain point,

Steve Calbert

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed an issue with syncing with out Exchange Server as well but it is not consistent. It seems to revolve around some issue with the WiFi. If I leave my office or home, the syncing works fine when connected to AT&T. But upon returning, and WiFi picks up, there seems to be an intermittent issue with the syncing. However, rebooting generally gets it working again.

I know there are no connection or server issues. I can have a iPhone with the Outlook app sitting side by side and initiate a sync. The iPhone finishes the sync within a second or two. While the 950 sits for many minutes before completing at times. As mentioned, it is intermittent but does appear to be worse when leaving WiFi and reconnecting. I am not sure if this is a DNS issue.

Also, I was just trying the wired dock and Continuum (that worked great BTW), and the issue never occurred over an hour of use. Not sure if plugging in caused a different behavior in the network connection.

BTW, tried a Startech USB to Ethernet adapter in the dock and did not seem to work. Got a message on the phone stating the USB device might not work correctly. Try using it on a PC.

Last edited:

NosmoRex

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
... I also noticed that when windows hello was on , I could bypass login by swiping up on screen...

Check the setting under "Sign-in Options". If you select "Every time" under "Require sign-in", Windows Hello will require the iris scan every time.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind the fact that the phone doesn't properly support Bluetooth voice commands in my car, while my G4 and iPhone 6S do, but when I use the "workaround" to "call" Cortana, 9 times out of 10 I get the "Sorry, I didn't hear anything..." message as a response after it tries to process my speech. Furthermore, when I do get it to finally recognize speech, and I use Cortana to play a specific artist or album through Groove Music, it opens Groove and just hangs on the spinning circle, and will not play anything. My G4 and iPhone have zero issues being recognized by and starting voice recognition from my car's factory voice command interface.

These two things alone are making me want to return the device. I spend a lot of time in the car and to me, not having these features work in my brand new vehicle with this phone is infuriating.

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have just tried the following: Shut off WIFI, Reboot device, and sync email. It didn't make a difference for me, unfortunately. I tried it on and off a charger.

Steve Calbert

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have just tried the following: Shut off WIFI, Reboot device, and sync email. It didn't make a difference for me, unfortunately. I tried it on and off a charger.

Does it fail or does it just keep "shuffling dots"? I was looking at logs I took while doing a sync. It appears that when the issue is occurring, there are many items being synced that do not need to be. Nothing really changed in my Mailbox, but about a hundred contacts and equally more calendar, emails, etc. synced.

Transport3r

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Fixed this with a hard reset. Unfortunately that's what it took.
I suspect it has something to do with installing the Blue Skies weather app. Did you install a 3rd party weather app?

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It says "your account settings are out of date". Then I click "fix account" where it prompts me to update password and username.

Steve Calbert

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
It says "your account settings are out of date". Then I click "fix account" where it prompts me to update password and username.

Ah, different issue. Same thing happened when I upgraded my SP3 to Win10. The fix was to remove the Exchange account from the app, reboot and add back in.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having issues with 3rd party USB cables? I can't get any to work except the one that came with the phone.

a google engineer named Bemson Leung has been reviewing USB c cables and adapters on Amazon, as he noticed some are not to spec and cause issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)