Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

Christopher Moor

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
My biggest frustration so far with the 950 Talkman,
The Nav buttons disappear when in the Notification Center and swipe up doesn't bring them back.
I have to lock and unlock the phone to do anything at that point.
I can only say, what a stupid thing to release in such a seriously obvious 10 second usage bug to notice.
That makes this an Alpha, not even a Beta release!

oops, I just had to get rid of the message with a checkbox telling me to swipe from the bottom. It works now...doh!

Last edited:

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The Nav buttons disappear when in the Notification Center and swipe up doesn't bring them back.
I can only say, what a stupid thing to release in such a seriously obvious 10 second usage bug to notice.

Weird, doesn't happen to me.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

So with my XL, yes, the notification buttons do vanish, but you can hold the bar at the bottom of the screen and slide up.

Christopher Moor

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I figured it out. I had not hidden the Tool Tip about swiping up yet. That prevented the buttons from swiping up.
My 950 battery is not doing very good at all. Used for half a day, I have less than half a charge on it. The specs are no where near right about the battery usage at all.
This is almost less usage than my 2011 Lumia 920?
I took 4 calls, 10 SMS messages, responded to email like normal.
I've only used 10 GB of storage and it keeps hounding me that I have used up my storage. It's a 32 GB Phone?? lol

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
as of this afternoon my 950 stopped making sounds when i got a text
i did reset
didnt work
i went to notifications, changed sound to default, reset worked for a little bit
but now i am back to no sound when getting text.
wth
i have changed nothing with this phone all week
dont get it
so buggy
love it
but dang

WindowsWarrior

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Version: 1511
OS build: 10.0.10586.0
Firmware: 01078.00017.15454.29031

I've had the 950 for 14 days now and didn't have a problem with it until now. I love the phones interface and design. Price can come down $100. Continuum has real potential. Of course something this new comes with its issues. In 14 days the major issues I ran across is this:

- Constantly sending data/receiving from cellular and wifi causing the Battery to warm up and drain fast.
- Finishing touches after Picture taking but found if you close the camera app and go straight to photo app it clears it up right away.
- Email and Calendar syncing started to act up and currently won't sync, trouble shooting it now.
- Some apps not working like they should (at least it seems that way)
- Get a notification saying I'm low on space (This device has 29.1 GB free, and I have a 64 GB MSD card installed)

I'm pretty sure the sending and receiving issue is caused from the pending windows update and its tasking the phone to near/max making it heat up like most windows devices do during an update. As well as interfering with mail syncing (possibly)? getting a Error code: (0x8007274c) I'll do the recommended steps to resolved the syncing issues when I get the update to go through. Update won't download through cellular data and the recent windows build has issues with my works wifi (security ect) so I'm trying to do this on a limited network which is most likely why its just spinning its windows doing nothing but draining my battery. It would be nice to be able to stop an update if needed and be less in the background so I can see whats going on. (pending update is: OS build 10.0.10586.29) While writing this I thought to change my storage options for downloads and new apps to be set to (this device) Something to think about when trying to install OS builds/Firmware unless Microsoft bypasses these settings?

When the phone worked it was fantastic! but currently its a warm paperweight. Apologies if this read feels like a rock randomly rolling down a hill because that is how it feels to me at this moment in time.

Update:
The change to storage options didn't seem to help even after a restart. Must be the limited wifi/works firewall? I'll try again when I get home. Had to pull battery to keep it from rebooting (to resume OS update) after I try to power it off.

Update:
A factory reset/wipe fixed all my issues except the finishing touches after a photo is taken. Made sure to turn off auto update and careful not to power off the phone if there is a update pending (powering off is like resetting). I suspect you need to be very mindful on when to start windows updates and have a stable and sound WiFi connection or risk the update hanging up. As far as Apps I'm sure there are issues that will iron out in time as well as the current issues. Hardware defects are always possible in anything you buy.

Last edited:

L_A_Curry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm fully aware of all of this, regardless of the fact even with rich capture disabled and going into pro mode my photos are still automatically retouched. The example pictures I attached earlier in the thread was an example of a picture taken in pro mode.

I have the dual SIM and this one must be defective cause those are disabled on mine too and photos are horrendous. I may have to go back to my 1520.

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Using 950 since last 2-3 days , bugs ive found so far :

1. Phone reboots during Windows Hello Authentication. It doesnt reboot always , but say at least once a day.
2. Gallery does take time to recently clicked pictures. Takes around 4-5 seconds to show up.

And , after photo is taken , "giving final/finishing touches" takes awfully long time. Say around 8-10 seconds or even more. Kinda frustrating.

Can anyone tell me how living images work? Not all images captured are living images right ?

And I am still on the 586 build. I heard there is 586.29 build out for everyone but my phone still hasnt picked it yet. I am in India with Vodafone as carrier but carriers doesnt matter here as its an unlocked version.

Though store did pick update around 30 apps.

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
whats with hustle notification tone? it started today in the morning , it wasnt so the case previously.

to explain. lets say i get a message on whatsapp. moment i recieve msg from whatsapp , there is hustle with bells kinda notification tone apart from the tone if set for whatsapp.

also observed that hustle bells sound also starts randomly.

apart from that only other issue was , moment i used to lock my screen , whatsapp would lose connection with wifi. dont know why. though reboot has fix the issue.

Christopher Moor

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, The Lumia 950, I have disabled just about every thing from using background data.
5 hrs from a full charge down to 20% sitting in my pocket 90% of the time.
I'm really at a loss at this point, there is something drastically wrong with the device to continuously discharge like this.
It is almost always warm from the battery discharging.
Just tried charging it again. Got it up to 70%.
Put it in my pocket, did a few things around the office.
Reached in my pocket, phone is hot to touch.
Battery down to 45% after 30 minutes. No calls, no texting, did nothing with it.
I think I am going to full factory reset and wipe and setup as a new device instead of restoring from a backup. Everything is on the OneDrive anyhow. Could be one lousy app not showing itself to be suspect.

Last edited:

WindowsWarrior

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chris check your windows updates. If you see it's downloading but not progressing its most likely hung up. Causing your battery drain and heating up. Factory reset/wipe fixed this for me. Immediately after boot up go straight to windows update and turn off the auto update. Make sure not to power off the phone or it will try to install pending updates and don't defer updates it will keep you from being able to install OS updates for several months and can cause a problem of the spinning windows issue draining and heating up the battery (maybe a bug). Getting updates to take seem touchy and fragile right now. Since the factory reset/wipe I haven't seen the new OS build show up.

- Limit background apps, microsoft diagnostic, syncing, and screen brightness for extended battery life.

- If you know your not going to use your phone for a period of time turn on battery saver (can pin to start) and add exceptions if necessary.

Last edited:

Kenntak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I also have the sound problem when the screen is off its makin a small sound every 5sec or so. And some small bugs here and there, but the biggest issue i have is the speed on this thing, its slow and resuming is still a ting with everything i do....

Otherwise i like the phone and i will keep it, so lets hope som apps and a greater support with the device from devs and so on joins the van, we are a small group of people so we dont need a train...yet.

Christopher Moor

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I had checked updates and background app allowances.
It didn't make sense though to kill all of them and it was still draining.

I definitely recommend to people not to restore from older Lumia device backups.
Setting it up as a clean phone last night without restoring from backup seems to have repaired the problem.
The biggest drag, is downloading that entire US Map again takes about 2.5 - 3 hrs even on 100 Mbps fiber circuit.
So far today, normal usage, I've only used about 10% of the battery from 6am to 1pm..... knock on wood.
Even with a Bluetooth ear piece hooked up and WiFi on all day.
I did kill a few app notifications just out of my own needs finding them unnecessary.

Davelicious01

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
My bad experiences with the Lumia 950XL :(

1)Continuusly Low Storage messages: (since today)
"Low storage
Your phone is low on storage space, but there's free space on your SD card.
Visit Settings > System Storage and move apps to your SD card, or delete some files to free up space."

While there is barely storage space used???
This Device: 5.18GB used out of 29.1GB
SD Card (D:) 3.95GB used out of 29.7GB

2) App store issues:
- updates do not get installed (endless waiting loop)
- icons frequently disappear from the updates list
- Checking for updates get also stuck (endless waiting loop)
(Sometimes a restart helps)
- Lumia Offers App is no more searchable in the store??? (I still got

3)Lumia free DisplayDock Offer (since the beginning 3 weeks ago)
-After 3 weeks still no free DisplayDock effer (in Lumia Offers App)
Also the Lumia Offers App seems to be disappeared from the store???
Actions:
?Reinstalled the Lumia Offers app several times
Contacted support 2 weeks ago: response we've got server issues (I don't believe that and if there would be why is this still not fixed 2 weeks later?)

4)Phone overheats very rapidly: (since the beginning 3 weeks ago)
-After several minutes normal usage (no gaming) just reading mail or checking for updates or taking photos it gets enourmously hot,
sometimes too hot that the camera refuses to work (message that phone has to cool down to be able to handle the camera app).

5)Phone restarts sometimes at random. (since the beginning 3 weeks ago)

6)Very low battery life +/- with normal usage (checking mail a few times a day) (since today)

7) Just found a new one, phone doesn't lock anymore, when I unlock I suddenly just have to swipe up, no more iris scan or pincode prompt???

Other things I tried to fix issues:
-restarted dozend of times
-removed battery
-performed factory reset (this resolved another issue with images in emails, none of the images in html parts of emails was shown?)

Q: I did not install the latest win10 update myself, does this update get pushed enforced in the background?
I've got version 1511, is that the updated version?

regards,
Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb