Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

jayruguitar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 118714I've had my Lumia 950 in the UK for 2 days, and although I'm still setting everything up and playing about with things as I get my number transferred, so far I'm very pleased with it :) Everything is just so much faster than my 1020 so I'm happy with the upgrade.

The only "defect" I have noticed so far is on the edge of the screen/glass, where I have what looks like smudges that I can't get rid of :-/ It's a little bit like when you put a screen protector on, and get a bubble near the edge, and it's not as clear as the rest. Hope that makes sense. There are a couple of these little bubbles on the left edge of the glass, and then 2 seem to have developed on the right edge, 1 of which is almost creeping over the red Hello light.

I'm not sure if it's removing the back cover and associated acrobatics with the phone that is maybe causing the glass layers to separate or something, because I've noticed more since I was messing with the SIM card earlier. Hopefully this picture shows what I'm on about! It looks like a smudge, and it will go if I wipe it really well with a microfiber cloth, but as soon as I run my finger over it, it comes back :-/

View attachment 118714

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, but @ different areas around the glass. Let me know what how/if you resolved.

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
have the same, but smaller.. on 3 of the 4 Corners. the good Thing is, that those spots are not visible anymore since ive put the glass protector on it.
I wrote about that to Lumia Germany and they said I can send the phone in. As I said These Areas are not visible anymore, so I leave it as it is and just before the 2 year warranty Ends I will send it in to maybe get a brand ne Display ;)

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Have a Question about Battery and Charging:

Had a strange thing that never ever happened to me, was charging battery, on about 70-80% i unplugged the phone and gone to the next room and plugged back there, and boom instantly 100%. Is that normal? for a battery or phone, or it was just glitch, showing lower percent.
Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a weird issue with the battery in my L950 dual sim variant.

Full charge to 100%, then after turning off & turning back on, the battery goes down to 95%.

Even doing a soft reset after full recharge will bring the battery down to 95%.

Anyone facing the same issue??

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I see the same thing. When I soft reset, I immediately "lose" ~5-7% battery. I've wondered recently whether the % battery life is accurate. Have you ever tried running your battery dead? Just wondering if it hits zero and still has some life in it. With my continued issue with battery life, wouldn't it be funny if the % was just a calibration error?

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that camera assembly makes some sort of sound on tapping near the rear camera area.

has anyone of you noticed sound if you tap gently rear camera assembly? its seems as if something is lose

i took my 950 to MS service center and they opened up the device and informed me that there is not enough / nil padding between camera chipset / assembly and the body due to which assembly keeps hitting to make that sound.

also someone on WP forums informed me that since L950 uses OIS (optical image stabilization) camera assembly is suppose to float and there will always be some sound.

but i cant recall when i got the phone on day 1 whether this sound existed. i dont have another l950 around to confirm the same.

maybe you guys can confirm for me. all you need to do is gently tap top half of the camera...rear camera and if you can hear some clickety sound?

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
it is there ant it is normal in some extent, given the OIS.
Compare it to the galaxy S6 -> that thing is twice as loud as the 950 even under very light shake.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
OK,

As much as I absolutely love this phone, there is a design defect that I really hate about it.

I have noticed that using the screen especially one-handed, sometimes it gets a bit freaky - position jumps or scrolling freezes up. I realized that the cause was my hand hitting or resting against the side of the glass screen.

The reason this never happened to me before is all of the other Lumia designs by Nokia - the edge of the glass is inset - so there is a bit of polycarbonate body that prevent accidental touching of another part of the screen.

On the 950, the glass is just slapped on top of the housing, so the edge is exposed all the way around.

Don't get me wrong - it's still a clean machine and not a deal breaker to me, but to me it's an annoying flaw that could have been avoided.

bobbyj494

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I have an att 950 and do love the phone. I was an early adopter and this is my third windows phone.

After struggling through days of instability initially, my phone seems to be functioning near perfectly except for one thing. Drive mode. How do you permanently get this to stay off? I have had to pin the driving mode tile to start screen so I can easily turn it off. It turns itself on all day long while laying on my desk. The problem is that it shuts down notifications and makes my phone pointless until I realize it and turn off the driving mode. Oh, btw, when I am actually driving, its off. So weird!

If this has been addressed already, my apologies. I read through the whole thread and saw nothing which refers to driving mode problems.

Gary Wu

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi bros,
I bought L950 in MS Store of US last Dec, now its firmware: 01078.00027.15506.02004, OS Build: 10.0.10586.29
I've used it for more than 1 months, yet I found bfollowing issues:

1. Heat. I own 930 for more than 2 years and I'm used to its heat, yet 950 is still out of my imagination, especially the front glass;
2. Battery. Better than L930 but not as well as my L640, whose battery capacity is the smallest;

Actually the above issues are not the worst which make me frustrated, another 2 are fatal:
3. Some apps could not be found in AppStore, but both my L930 (Win10 Insider) and L640 (Win8.1) can, using same account definitely;
4. Data connection issue, which I strongly disgust - When you enter a tunnel or underground or shopping mall, the phone signal normally will disappear for a while but can soon recover automatically. Different from L930 and L640, my L950's data connection will die and I have to restart to get it back. You can see the LTE 4G works on the top of L950's screen, but the apps cannot connected to Internet, sometimes with a short period terrible heat and screen freezing.

Look forward to replies soon, I'm not sure if the official Win10M will save my poor L950.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have a question about calendar... with the latest update do you still have this issue that it's impossible to go back to "today"?
I mean, when I open calendar it shows today's date, after I scroll through months/days searching a specific date... it's impossible to go back to the "today's date" by clicking the bottom menu icon. it jumps from one day to another, but never correct one...

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi bros,
I bought L950 in MS Store of US last Dec, now its firmware: 01078.00027.15506.02004, OS Build: 10.0.10586.29
I've used it for more than 1 months, yet I found bfollowing issues:

1. Heat. I own 930 for more than 2 years and I'm used to its heat, yet 950 is still out of my imagination, especially the front glass;
2. Battery. Better than L930 but not as well as my L640, whose battery capacity is the smallest;

Actually the above issues are not the worst which make me frustrated, another 2 are fatal:
3. Some apps could not be found in AppStore, but both my L930 (Win10 Insider) and L640 (Win8.1) can, using same account definitely;
4. Data connection issue, which I strongly disgust - When you enter a tunnel or underground or shopping mall, the phone signal normally will disappear for a while but can soon recover automatically. Different from L930 and L640, my L950's data connection will die and I have to restart to get it back. You can see the LTE 4G works on the top of L950's screen, but the apps cannot connected to Internet, sometimes with a short period terrible heat and screen freezing.

I am also a non-insider running the OS build .29 with the latest firmware.

With regards to heating issues make sure you close the apps completely after using it. If you're using mobile data connection and using apps no matter what, your phone will heat up. And yes, the front glass does heat up. Using wifi, heating would be much lesser. But it cools down pretty fast too.

And coming to battery performance, standby time is acceptable. But if you start using your phone, especially using internet, battery will drain fast. You can expect 10hours of life with moderate usage. Under light to medium usage, you can get through a day easily. Hard reset won't make any difference to your battery performance. This has been discussed in so many threads, under L950.

For the apps and data connection issue, try doing a hard reset. It should probably fix the problem.

Hope this helps!

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Probably reported before but I am seeing occasional restarts when I try to switch between apps fast, especially when I'm texting or using messenger and trying to switch back and fort to edge browser. I have build 0.29

Also, again probably reported many times, when scrolling in any app, it jumps occasionally and I get lost where I am on the page. It's either edge browser or any other app that has scrolling view.

Robert Heinrich

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys! Does anyone use 950 as car navigation? I have swithed from android phone and today ride with Maps (HERE?) was terrible in matter of smoothnes I found Maps interface very (VERY - looks like 5-10fps) laggy in scrolling, howewer map autoscaling is smooth which is veird, can someone please confirm this or post any solution?

I use MapQuest on WP. I have found it to work very very well. Maybe you can try it out.

Gary Wu

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I am also a non-insider running the OS build .29 with the latest firmware.

With regards to heating issues make sure you close the apps completely after using it. If you're using mobile data connection and using apps no matter what, your phone will heat up. And yes, the front glass does heat up. Using wifi, heating would be much lesser. But it cools down pretty fast too.

And coming to battery performance, standby time is acceptable. But if you start using your phone, especially using internet, battery will drain fast. You can expect 10hours of life with moderate usage. Under light to medium usage, you can get through a day easily. Hard reset won't make any difference to your battery performance. This has been discussed in so many threads, under L950.

For the apps and data connection issue, try doing a hard reset. It should probably fix the problem.

Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks very much. I have done a hard reset today, but it seems no avails. data connection issue still exist. Maybe I have to wait for next version or firmware to fix the issues. Anyway, thanks all the same.

Last edited:

NunoHelena

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Good night, someone knows please help me, I have luimia 950 xl and thought he had 3G RAM but when I test the RAM see in test applications that actually he only have 2048 mb, it is normal?
Thank you ,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion