Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

mruranski

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
As a satisfied user of Lumia 1020, being unable to upgrade it to Windows 10, last week I decided to buy a new Lumia 950. I read some reviews about it's great photo quality (especially in low light and night photography) and after my first tests I think something's seriously wrong with the phone I received.

First of all, I made all auto updates, including the Anniversary Update. I also updated all installed apps, incl. Windows Camera App.

What's wrong?

CAMERA: The camera seems to overprocess, brighten night images, even in Pro-mode with HDR set to "off". After taking a picture I'm opening the preview of a photo and it looks nice - what should be black is deeply black. But after a second the image becomes ridiculously bright, making previously black areas... dark purple. Check this out:

1xrm4Vm.jpg

I made a simple test. I went to the totally dark room, set my Lumia's camera to the lowest possible exposure (PRO, hdr off, ISO50, 1/16000sec) and taken a picture with a lens covered with a black board. Check that out and compare with Samsung ATIV S, which has a poor camera and no manual exposure.

LUMIA 950 TEST:

VzNhXgk.jpg
(with circles I've marked small white spots, propably dust on matrix or bad pixels)

SAMSUNG ATIV S:

gknfoUH.jpg

I was fast enough to take a screenshot of an underexposed night scene right after taking, just before my phone processed it. That's the first picture in the galery. A second later it became as bright as the other.

Another problem is... SCREEN

And I think I'm not the only one with this issue: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...50-display-bleed-awful-color-calibration.html

The dark gradients look really bad, unregular, with a really visible banding and sometimes, especially if you're watching a dark movie, you can see black, irregular areas, stains. Here's the comparison of my old ATIV S Amoled (up) and a screen of my Lumia 950 (down).

UMOWqcQ.jpg

bkPCsnC.jpg

I went with my Lumia 950 to the official Microsoft Authorised Device Care in Wroclaw (Poland) to make a warranty service. I received my phone back with a note:

"Code: MR, Used parts: 5140244 (by the way, this is a number of an earspeaker...),

We used parts according to the spare parts list. New software installed. Camera adjusted. Test proceeded - compliant with tech specs. The phone is OK"

And nothing's changed. The photo and screen issues remains the same...

I truly don't know what to do next.

Best regards,
Matt

Attachments

• samsung.jpg
    samsung.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Darren Lay

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I just received a 950 that I bought off Swappa. It is completely new/unopened. I just unboxed it but it is not powering on. Battery is inserted. It has been charging for 10 minutes but still no response. If this this is DOA, do I contact the seller or take it up with Microsoft?

Johan Ruda

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
2) Audio coming out of the phone speaker with 14393.5 is majorly degraded - again, if I rollback to production, the audio quality is great.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

I have this problem as well, I think, but I thought it was a hardware issue so I got the speaker replaced under warranty. For me it's only certain ringtones and when I set the volume to 5 or higher tho. It basically sounds like the speaker is cracked. Same for you?

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
That camera problem is affecting indoor concert shots. when there is a stage illuminated with a lot of spotlights. The camera post processing is just trying to make the darkness around the stage more bright. Then the stage becomes too bright. When stuff in the view is evenly illuminated it works fine, but when there is a big contrast post processing is failing.

Green2Vision

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I notice a 400 by 400 pixels spot on my pictires - when OIS works I notice this spot move with OIS lense - dust? Shake with a vibro is possible?

Attachments

• defect1_.jpg
    defect1_.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
  • defect2_.jpg
    defect2_.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 6
  • defect3_.jpg
    defect3_.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 6

Tran Viet Ha

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia dual sim sometimes freezes at lock screen: After turning on, the iris does not work. If I slide up, no key pad to type the pin number will appear. The only way is to restart the phone. This happens 3 or more times a day. I tried factory reset without recovering and did not install any more apps, no more freezes. It seems that when an app related with reminding (tasks, reminders, calendar) is installed and when a remind is made, I see that problem. My phone is up to date. I would like to know how to solve the problem, thanks.

ayos1020

May 29, 2014
Visit site
when viewing photos, issues with pinch to zoom, sometimes it wont zoom back, had to double tap or exit the app. i have a screen protector on, not sure if that is the culprit.

Ntois

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Greetings
I run redstone one with region Greece and language English US. Everything was running good. I added greek language as a language but I did not change system language. I restarted the phone and now tile from people doesnt saw pictures, the tile only. also the app MSN News translated in greek ''Eidhseis''.
This is very weird because only one app changed name all the other apps are still in english as they should. I cant understand what is wrong, I pin unpinned the news up I unistalled it and installed it again , I removed the greek language and did soft reset but the app is still in greek. Also the people app doesnt saw pictures, I did the same things except install unnistall because this cant be done. Any suggestions?? Thanks

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I am running the latest Insider fast ring build 14926 so far what I have found are the call forwarding still isn't working. Which this hasn't for a few builds now. The big problem I have is my 950 will not connect to any wireless display. I have tried everything I have tried 3 computers and 2 TVs nothing. It just won't pair. Maybe next build. Or maybe I switch back to standard builds.

mruranski

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
How to lose a devoted customer? Well done, Microsoft Mobile! I never used Android nor iOS, always being commited to Microsoft's mobile operating system, beginning from Windows Mobile 5, ending with Windows 10 Mobile. I was loyal even despite the fact that Microsoft doesn't care of Polish customers and Polish market (still lack of Cortana, poor device suport, etc.) but recent troubles with my Lumia 950, I described above, finished my patience.

As you could read above, I bought my Lumia 950 with serious screen and camera issues. The next day I went to Microsoft Authorised Device Care in Wroclaw (PL) and I received my phone back with flashed OS and... a new earphone (!?), with a note, saying that device is now 100% OK. Of course nothing changed and the problem persists.

Then I've started this topic and I tried to send my complaint via support.microsoft.com but the online form seems to be useless. After pressing "SEND" i received a blank page, both under Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.

So, I decided to call Microsoft's Polish call centre and after a minutes spent listening the automatic caller ("press one, press two") I realised, there's no support for mobile devices in Poland!!! So, I called Microsoft's Polish office, described everything and they asked me to send my warrant claim directly via e-mail.

This is what I've done and after a few days someone called me, speaking only English, to describe the issues with my device. I asked if there's a possibility to speak with a support in Poland and he told me Microsoft Mobile has no support in Poland. By the way, is it legal under the EU-law to distribute your products in EU countries without providing a customer support in their languages?

Anyways, I described my device's issues one more time and the guy told me, I have to send my device back to Microsofr. I asked for the address and he told, I have to register my device at devicesupport.microsoft.com and then I will receive a physical address of a service point.

Guess what? I opened Devicesupport.microsoft.com website --> Repair Device. Asked for my region I've chosen "POLAND" and... the "Mobile devices" option disappeared, leaving me only the choice between Surface and Xbox.

And this is where I finished my long adventure with Microsoft Mobile. I can't stand the way MS ruined Nokia's good reputation. I can't stand the way MS Mobile treats Polish customers. And finally, after a few weeks of using Windows 10 Mobile, I can't understand how it's possible to make an operating system with so many irritating issues - issues that were removed from WP8.1 months ago!

Goodbye Microsoft Mobile. Hello Huawei P9...

Keith Patrick1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Add another to the list of people who are ready to ditch MS after the Lumia 950. I've had WinPhones from day 1, but this one is the worst of them. I could go in depth on every gripe I have about this phone (notifications at 3am asking me what I think of the phone, the fatfinger keyboard, the crashes when emailing from the clipboard, the brain-dead music player that changes with every release and never for the better), but what really REALLY set me off on this phone is that the wi-fi dies on it. By that I mean that periodically, the phone cannot see any Wi-Fi network and goes to the data plan. I've already gotten $30 in overage charges in a single month because of this. Once the phone reboots, it sees the networks again, but I am having to constantly check to make sure it's using Wi-Fi (and thank you, MS for taking the indicators off the web browser...now I'm having to constantly go back to the start screen to check that, and batter, and the frickin TIME)
What makes the whole phone even more irritating is that getting tech support for it is an hour-long process of dealing with AT&T sending me from one call center to another. I get borderline anxiety attacks when I need to get support for it because I know it's going to be an ordeal. I'm just fed up with the damn thing...I don't think I've ever seen a bug on one of these actually fixed. Instead, MS replaces the feature with something else on the next version, introducing new problems. But the Wi-Fi issue is one that is costing me money, and for that, I am SO glad that Lumia is dying a well-deserved death.
BTW: AT&T finally just sent me a new phone. I told them it wouldn't fix it, since it's a problem MS has to actually FIX. New phone dropped Wi-Fi within 2 weeks of getting the new phone. Shame.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
possibly reported but yet here again. trying to copy music from the sd card on the phone using a usb connection to my computer... and guess what? connection drops after a couple of minutes. Not just the sd card but the whole connectivity to the phone is lost. and guess what, my computer is a windows pc :)) what a shame, what a shame.

a 10 minute job takes an hour. thanks mikisoft.

million72

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi.
first post here as ive run out of ideas on how to get this phone dorted
Lumia 950
Version 1607
OS build 10.0.14393.448
Firmware revision 01078.00053.16236.35015
Hardware revision 2.1.1.2

So after the last update in the UK my phone pulled over night, maybe 2 weeks back now my phone has done nothing but crash consistently.
opening the lock screen, crash/restart.
In a call crash/restart.
open an app crash/restart.
reply to a text crash/restart.
This is happening around 20 times a day which makes this phone now totally useless.
Ive had zero help from ms on the problem or 02
The b2x site is a waste of time, no one ever calls back or answers the chat.
I have done a soft reset which hasnt helped.
Im reluctant to do a hard reset just yet as i was informed on reddit a new patch was issued in the USA which fixed this problem and would be coming to the UK, this hasnt happened.
Does anyone have a similar issue here?
this phone has worked flawlessly until this update was pulled.

If doing a backup and restore /hard reset will everything be restored to how it was exactly, i dont want to loose anything from the phone

Any help gratefully received
Thanks

Skywalker70

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I've just bought a Lumia 950 Dual sim and I have a question to you, if you please you might respond to me: every time I turn the phone about 20 degrees in any direction, the screen dramatically changes into a greenish hue with a purple spot who moves in the side the phone is moving (it's an AMOLED panel an it shouldn't behave like this I suppose) I want to know if that is normal, or the display of my phone is just poor quality, so in that case I have to return it or change the display.Sorry for my poor language but English isn't my first language. Thanks in advance.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I've just bought a Lumia 950 Dual sim and I have a question to you, if you please you might respond to me: every time I turn the phone about 20 degrees in any direction, the screen dramatically changes into a greenish hue with a purple spot who moves in the side the phone is moving (it's an AMOLED panel an it shouldn't behave like this I suppose) I want to know if that is normal, or the display of my phone is just poor quality, so in that case I have to return it or change the display.Sorry for my poor language but English isn't my first language. Thanks in advance.

From what I heard the little green hud is viewable at a degree when screen is tilt at a degree. I believe mine does it when I tilt it very much on the side nothing to worry.

anon(9833501)

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I am having more and more problems with this phone every day. For starters what's up with Facebook Messenger app? It rrally has problems sending pictures recently, takes forever and doesnt even send. On a 4g connection. Text is no problem except when it freezes totally and I have to reset it. I've tried soft reset several times, logout several times. No effect. I am running 10.0.14965.1001 OS build. I am also part of Windows Insider program, fast ring. Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
There your problem. Go back to production ring and don't go in windows insider slow or fast ring. Preview ring is fine since that tied to production ring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea