Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Is your Lumia 950 having problems? Sound off here! Maybe even keep track of what's going on.

It is worth noting that with any phone, there are bad units. One may not be representative of the entire lineup. Circumstances vary and others may not be able to replicate your issue right away, or at all.

Is it behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.:

Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Software Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to this Microsoft FAQ page for more info.

Make sure to check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]

[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Software Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]

Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed...

[INFO]
When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).

"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don’t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
7.Your feedback will automatically upload when you are charging your phone and connected to Wi-Fi, but you can also upload the feedback manually by tapping … > Upload feedback data."

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...singleTopic%26topic%3DFA144635&token=TzFatnwb[/INFO]

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Is your Lumia 950 having problems? Sound off here! Maybe even keep track of what's going on.

It is worth noting that with any phone, there are bad units. One may not be representative of the entire lineup. Circumstances vary and others may not be able to replicate your issue right away, or at all.

Is it behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.:

Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Software Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to this Microsoft FAQ page for more info.

Make sure to check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]

[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Software Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]

Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed...

I'm sure this is great advice and will hopefully help some people. Thank god i don't have these problems with my dishwasher, tv, car, microwave .... Damn, i miss the good old analog times.

Gary Berns

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
There was a post that said that linked inboxes were in final version. Got my phone today and can not find this feature. Also do not know how to check if phone has build 10586 which did the add on.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
There was a post that said that linked inboxes were in final version. Got my phone today and can not find this feature. Also do not know how to check if phone has build 10586 which did the add on.

Go to Settings >> System >> About and look at the OS and build version, it should say 10586.3 and 1511.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

The phones were shipped before the update to Mail and Calendar were applied to the phones. You'll need to check for Phone Updates as well as Store Updates.

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) was that the 950 was shipped with Build 10586.3. There was a build released today to Insiders upping that to 10586.11. Also, Mail and Calendar has been updated two times in the last few days. Update that, and try again.

Gary Berns

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
It is build number 10586.0.

Also forgot to mention that phone will not activate. Spent over two hours with them on phone. They say system shows "pending." I think it's a bad sim but they have to admit that before I do anything (like get a refund).

added 2 hours later. They finally said bad sim and said I could go to any store to get new one. Offereed to do this hours ago but they requested I not do so.

Also store had many updates for me. Update to mail did add linked inbox.

Last edited:

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is somethign wrong with my Lumia 950 5Ghz Wifi....I was waiting for my pictures to upload to onedrive, but noticed my WiFi icon kept disappearing. When I went into WiFi settings it kept saying "no networks found." This happened about 3 separate times, and always after i had already added a 5Ghz network. Doing a soft reset would fix the problem temporarily, only for the same issue to happen again. The apps I was in during this issue was the photo apps and the onedrive settings and onedrive app. I switched to 2.4Ghz with same security settings, and it seems to be fine. Please test your 5Ghz connections and let us know if you have problems as well. I'm using a Asus RT-AC87U fwiw.

Side note: Is it just my photo-taking skills or the fact i came from a 1020, but MAN!, definitely not impressed with the picture quality so far :( However, I can take pictures incredibly fast compared to the 1020.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is somethign wrong with my Lumia 950 5Ghz Wifi....I was waiting for my pictures to upload to onedrive, but noticed my WiFi icon kept disappearing. When I went into WiFi settings it kept saying "no networks found." This happened about 3 separate times, and always after i had already added a 5Ghz network. Doing a soft reset would fix the problem temporarily, only for the same issue to happen again. The apps I was in during this issue was the photo apps and the onedrive settings and onedrive app. I switched to 2.4Ghz with same security settings, and it seems to be fine. Please test your 5Ghz connections and let us know if you have problems as well. I'm using a Asus RT-AC87U fwiw.

Side note: Is it just my photo-taking skills or the fact i came from a 1020, but MAN!, definitely not impressed with the picture quality so far :( However, I can take pictures incredibly fast compared to the 1020.

Have you tried updating the camera app in the store? I'm not saying you're 1020 doesn't take good pictures, but according to the people (nokia guys) who worked on the 950's camera , it's the best one they've made yet. Nothing will beat the 1020 for zoom (that's obvious lol) but what about things like white balance? Focus speed? Low Light? Video?

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad you asked. I took a closer look at the settings and noticed Living Images is on by default. I'm going to test the camera a bit more and I will comment on the quality. As far as the speed...I can't even begin to describe how much faster the 950 is compared to the Lumia 1020. Living images were turned on which basically seems like a video but it was still shooting incredibly fast. The flash is amazing as well. When I figure out why my onedrive uploads are taking long/failing, I will be able to comment more. I like to see the images on a monitor before I comment. However, I can confirm living images make for some ugly still pictures :)

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

Everyone will be glad to know it was my photo taking skills. The ugly images I was viewing initially were living images. That feature is now turned off, since we have this thing called video capture...Anyways, the images are impressive, and the speed at which they can be taken makes it even better.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Everyone will be glad to know it was my photo taking skills. The ugly images I was viewing initially were living images. That feature is now turned off, since we have this thing called video capture...Anyways, the images are impressive, and the speed at which they can be taken makes it even better.

Nice! Good to hear, now let's see some side by side comparisons of the 1020 and 950 pictures. If you have time that is.

anon(5354555)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having trouble with the Calendar app not opening? Worked yesterday and now just flashes back to start and can't get the app open.
Version 1511 build 10.0.10586.0

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This morning I found that my Band was unable to communicate with the phone, even though they were paired and connected.

Removing the Bluetooth profile fixed the problem, but hopefully it doesn't recur.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So interesting to note - but not too surprising i suppose...
devices coming with 10586.0
fast ring got 10586.11

so unless you go back to preview - you wont get the .11 update yet.... as its not released...

SpicyKB

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The major bug right now is with my Camera/Photos apps and Windows Hello (which very much is in beta, I know).

I'll record a 4K video and play it back. The playback has a highly noticeable line across the video that looks like it divides the screen into separate white balance settings. The top half is hazy and yellow, the bottom remains fine. I'll lock and unlock the phone (sometimes it take two or three times). When I get back to the Photos app, the line disappears... but iris scanning for Windows Hello no longer functions.

It feels like these are linked bugs, but I can't say for certain. It does not occur with recording video resolutions less than 4K, but it does occur at all framerates for 4K.

Super tiny minor bug #2 The keyboard pops up when I swipe left back to the home screen from app list. Weird but whatever.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess the problem with the Band really isn't solved. I'm not getting notifications or texts or calls. Although I can access Cortana messages sent from the Band are not getting out.

UPDATE #1: From the MS Health app I removed all the tiles from my Band and added them back. That seems to have fixed the problem. I guess the tiles were stuck expecting updates from my old Lumia.

UPDATE #2: I don't have full functionality with the Band. I can't hang up incoming calls from the Band. Kind of defeats the purpose of screening calls.

Last edited:

SoapBox3000

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Phone: Microsoft Lumia 950
OS Build: 10.0.10586.0
Version: 1511

I love this phone. I came from a Lumia 1520 which is a huge jump size wise but i love this phone. It is nice, pretty, ultra fast and responsive. I am totally digging the Windows Hello (Beta). Great phone over all! One of the best Windows Phones I have ever owned.
Errors/Issues Below:
  1. Xbox app is getting 0x87DD0005 error "We couldn't sign you into Xbox Live".....I am using my MSA that i use with my XBox One. all of the help topics for this issue wont work or dont exist. (I have already rebooted the phone several times and checked for App Updates).
  2. Apps Lumia Help+Tips and Advance Info wont update with 0x803F8006. Everything else has updated without issue. (I have already rebooted the phone several times and checked for App Updates).
  3. in trying to see if the above issues could be resolved by going to the next build via Windows Insider I tried installing Insider Fast Configuration wihch fails with 0x800b010a.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Phone: Microsoft Lumia 950
OS Build: 10.0.10586.0
Version: 1511

I love this phone. I came from a Lumia 1520 which is a huge jump size wise but i love this phone. It is nice, pretty, ultra fast and responsive. I am totally digging the Windows Hello (Beta). Great phone over all! One of the best Windows Phones I have ever owned.
Errors/Issues Below:
  1. Xbox app is getting 0x87DD0005 error "We couldn't sign you into Xbox Live".....I am using my MSA that i use with my XBox One. all of the help topics for this issue wont work or dont exist. (I have already rebooted the phone several times and checked for App Updates).
  2. Apps Lumia Help+Tips and Advance Info wont update with 0x803F8006. Everything else has updated without issue. (I have already rebooted the phone several times and checked for App Updates).
  3. in trying to see if the above issues could be resolved by going to the next build via Windows Insider I tried installing Insider Fast Configuration wihch fails with 0x800b010a.

Issues with those apps have been reported by multiple people, so you're not alone. I would assume MS is working on fixes.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This morning I found that my Band was unable to communicate with the phone, even though they were paired and connected.

Removing the Bluetooth profile fixed the problem, but hopefully it doesn't recur.

I guess the problem with the Band really isn't solved. I'm not getting notifications or texts or calls. Although I can access Cortana messages sent from the Band are not getting out.

UPDATE #1: From the MS Health app I removed all the tiles from my Band and added them back. That seems to have fixed the problem. I guess the tiles were stuck expecting updates from my old Lumia.

UPDATE #2: I don't have full functionality with the Band. I can't hang up incoming calls from the Band. Kind of defeats the purpose of screening calls.

Have you Factory Reset the Band? Seems to be a requirement when swapping it between phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3