02-10-2017 01:56 PM
609 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Maybe it would have been better that the phone has face features recognition ability like the surfaces and forgot the iris recognition till better and more reliable performance.
    Face recognition like in the Surface would require extra camera hardware to detect a "live" face to prevent photo spoofing, but that would mean cramming extra stuff at the top bazal and potentially increasing the size of the device, which means angering another bunch of people who are really picky about that sort of thing. Same if they went with fingerprint.

Iris is totally the right call for a mobile phone with limited physical real estate and the anti-bazal crowd out there ready to jump on anything with a bazal that is more than 2mm thick, but it looks like they need to tune it and they probably didn't have the time to do it, hence the "beta" tag.
    11-23-2015 11:02 PM
    You love this phone? Doesn't it feel cheap like fisher-price plastic toy?
    nope, not even close. it would be nice if fisher price toys felt as nice as my 950 :)
    11-23-2015 11:42 PM
    Face recognition like in the Surface would require extra camera hardware to detect a "live" face to prevent photo spoofing, but that would mean cramming extra stuff at the top bazal and potentially increasing the size of the device, which means angering another bunch of people who are really picky about that sort of thing. Same if they went with fingerprint.
    That maybe so and I hope future updates may improve the iris recognition login process. Just saying that current "put the phone on top of your nose" way to successful login, the 950's Iris Hello is just a gimmick and prone to mockery.
    I would not try to unlock my phone in that way in any serious or business situation.
    11-24-2015 12:35 AM
    That maybe so and I hope future updates may improve the iris recognition login process. Just saying that current "put the phone on top of your nose" way to successful login, the 950's Iris Hello is just a gimmick and prone to mockery.
    I would not try to unlock my phone in that way in any serious or business situation.
    Some people have success just looking at it with phone at chest high level and not the exaggerate "right up to the tip of the nose" demos as well as with glasses etc, also because the iris recognition camera uses IR light which is supplied by the device itself, so contrary to "common sense" move AWAY from bright light sources which would introduce light pollution in the recognition, so definitely YMMV. Either way there is a very lack of understanding of the tech in most reviews/hands-on impression I've found which may be the cause of lack of accuracy of the system.

Also iris recognition is inherently more secure than fingerprints and facial, if you are in a business situations who cares about security then the image thing should be least of your concern and you can tell those people who does to get stuffed instead. I really hope MS gets going with improving the iris recognition tech because this is the way to go as fingerprints is really yesterday's technology that is already shunned in serious security applications which has moved to much more secure tech like vein and retinal which is only hindered by price and miniaturization of the hardware to perform the recognition. Fingerprint is only making its way into consumer's hands as a swan song for that last bit of remaining profit of a matured tech that's due to be phased out.
    11-24-2015 02:35 AM
    Owners, what about volume in earphones?
    11-24-2015 03:31 AM
    Owners, what about volume in earphones?
    I have it connected to speakers at work in my office and if works well. Headphone levels are adequate and sound good, equalizer helps.

I do have to say call quality is stellar at times. I felt like I was sitting in the same room as my best friend...I'm in Miami he's in Austin...on a call I made. It's pretty amazing.

I really like this device. I thought it wouldn't be as nice as it is but I really like it. The 920 has been dethroned...a few BT issues to work out and it will be perfect.
    11-24-2015 08:28 AM
    I have it connected to speakers at work in my office and if works well. Headphone levels are adequate and sound good, equalizer helps.

I do have to say call quality is stellar at times. I felt like I was sitting in the same room as my best friend...I'm in Miami he's in Austin...on a call I made. It's pretty amazing.

I really like this device. I thought it wouldn't be as nice as it is but I really like it. The 920 has been dethroned...a few BT issues to work out and it will be perfect.
    That is HD voice. I was blown away Sunday when I talked to my brother who also has an HD voice handset.
    libra89 and Jeff Merritt1 like this.
    11-24-2015 08:43 AM
    Can you please tell me which of this phones you prefer and why?
    I'm considering the Lumia 950 but otherwise it will be the iphone 6s, i absolutely don't want android.
    Love the 950, I had the Lumia 830 ..big difference, My plug AGAINST the Iphone6 .. 950 has QI Charging, Fast charging, Live tiles are awesome. Ease of use , It is exactly like windows 10 on my Surface pro 3.
    Xsled likes this.
    11-24-2015 09:03 AM

Thank you! But the question is about the volume of the headphones! My L920 and L1520 much quieter than iPhone and I want to know how loud is 950 plays music through headphones.
    11-24-2015 09:13 AM
    Hello all and congrats to the first lucky owners of the 950. I am in the waiting room in my country (Athens, Greece) for the device official launch.
    User of WP since 2012 and currently with an 830 with W10M TP latest build. I like very much W10M and in general WP as they offer some key advantages, to my needs, that no other OS can offer.

I would like, if possible, any of the 950 owners to clarify the following:
    1. On glance screen is the day of the week also displayed along with the date and time? Currently on my 830 with W10M TP the day of the week is only displayed and the date is not (the date is normally displayed on lock screen though). What is the situation on 950?
    2. On WP8.1 when i was dismissing a notification, e.g. a call, sms or mail, from notification area at the same time the icon from lock screen and also from glance screen was removed cause i have seen the notification and had decided to dismiss it. But on W10M TP this is not the case. And even when seeing a call or sms form its application the icon from lock/glance screen may take hours to disappear. What is the situation on 950?
    3. On 950 are the "resume" or "loading" screens totally disappeared?
    4. With 3GB RAM, what is the case with the Edge browser if I have opened e.g. 6 pages and I move from one page to another. Then i go off Edge and after some hours I open again Edge. Are the pages I had opened still there? And if I select any of the pages is it reloaded or I can just continue seeing the page from previous state?
    5. Are Mail, Calendar, Store, messages, i.e. MSFT built in apps, open really fast without lagging?
    6. What about the multitasking abilities? Do we really have true multitasking on 950? I mean if i resume a previously opened app do i continue from the point i left it or the app reloads from scratch?

That's all, sorry for the long list guys.
    Appreciate your feedback.
    eomes likes this.
    11-24-2015 10:02 AM
    That is HD voice. I was blown away Sunday when I talked to my brother who also has an HD voice handset.
    Yes. The HD voice is something else. I haven't been able to understand or hear my buddy for a long time, I called him last night and I was caught off guard. It is amazing. I hadn't even heard of it until now!
    11-24-2015 10:04 AM
    Headphone levels are adequate and sound good, equalizer helps.
    I don't think as loud as iPhone, but it is appropriate for me. I have in-ears (Klipsch) and over the ear (Polk) and they both sound great to me. I will give it a further listen this afternoon on my bike ride.
    11-24-2015 10:08 AM
    Are the whites better than those were on the Lumia 930's display? On my 930 the white is rather grayish with standard colour settings compared to the latest iphone or galaxy.
    11-24-2015 10:21 AM
    Hello all and congrats to the first lucky owners of the 950. I am in the waiting room in my country (Athens, Greece) for the device official launch.
    User of WP since 2012 and currently with an 830 with W10M TP latest build. I like very much W10M and in general WP as they offer some key advantages, to my needs, that no other OS can offer.

I would like, if possible, any of the 950 owners to clarify the following:
    1. On glance screen is the day of the week also displayed along with the date and time? Currently on my 830 with W10M TP the day of the week is only displayed and the date is not (the date is normally displayed on lock screen though). What is the situation on 950?
    2. On WP8.1 when i was dismissing a notification, e.g. a call, sms or mail, from notification area at the same time the icon from lock screen and also from glance screen was removed cause i have seen the notification and had decided to dismiss it. But on W10M TP this is not the case. And even when seeing a call or sms form its application the icon from lock/glance screen may take hours to disappear. What is the situation on 950?
    3. On 950 are the "resume" or "loading" screens totally disappeared?
    4. With 3GB RAM, what is the case with the Edge browser if I have opened e.g. 6 pages and I move from one page to another. Then i go off Edge and after some hours I open again Edge. Are the pages I had opened still there? And if I select any of the pages is it reloaded or I can just continue seeing the page from previous state?
    5. Are Mail, Calendar, Store, messages, i.e. MSFT built in apps, open really fast without lagging?
    6. What about the multitasking abilities? Do we really have true multitasking on 950? I mean if i resume a previously opened app do i continue from the point i left it or the app reloads from scratch?

That's all, sorry for the long list guys.
    Appreciate your feedback.

1: Yes, the day of the week shows on display. Example: Tuesday, November 24 - currently showing on my display.
    2: Dismissing (swiping) the notification away from the action center removes the message icon on lock screen. Just tested and it went away immediately.
    3: I don't think I have seen a loading screen yet. May have missed it due to being so used to them, but I don't believe I have seen it once.
    4: Yes, even in Continuum they are still there. Just tested one I had open last night and it didn't refresh. Not sure if that is always the case, but this morning it didn't refresh.
    5: Super fast, will touch more on that in #6.
    6: True universal apps continue where you left off with almost zero load time. Well, almost where you left off. If you had an email open, it will launch back to inbox. But, if you have scrolled, it stays where you scrolled to.

This is my experience. Others may not have the same, but this is what I am seeing so far. I love this device, a lot.
    11-24-2015 10:30 AM
    Are the whites better than those were on the Lumia 930's display? On my 930 the white is rather grayish with standard colour settings compared to the latest iphone or galaxy.
    I use the light mode and the white is super bright. Almost too bright, I have brightness down to 50% with automatic turned on.
    Istvan Szitas likes this.
    11-24-2015 10:32 AM
    I also read in a lot of reviews that the display is a little bit dim. Is it true? If true, could it be software or hardware related?
    11-24-2015 11:56 AM
    I also read in a lot of reviews that the display is a little bit dim. Is it true? If true, could it be software or hardware related?
    Oh, gosh no. I cannot leave it at 100% without feeling like my retinas are burning. It is VERY bright. Folks need to keep in mind that you can still manually adjust even with auto mode on. So... IE, I have set at 50% and it will get brighter as it needs to. But, in no way do I think it is dim, at all.
    11-24-2015 12:09 PM
    That person turned the brightness up though the notification center which apparently has some issues. If you go to settings and adjust it there, it is a lot brighter. I turn mine all the way down to 0 and I can still see it just fine.
    jmajid likes this.
    11-24-2015 12:51 PM
    1: Yes, the day of the week shows on display. Example: Tuesday, November 24 - currently showing on my display.
    2: Dismissing (swiping) the notification away from the action center removes the message icon on lock screen. Just tested and it went away immediately.
    3: I don't think I have seen a loading screen yet. May have missed it due to being so used to them, but I don't believe I have seen it once.
    4: Yes, even in Continuum they are still there. Just tested one I had open last night and it didn't refresh. Not sure if that is always the case, but this morning it didn't refresh.
    5: Super fast, will touch more on that in #6.
    6: True universal apps continue where you left off with almost zero load time. Well, almost where you left off. If you had an email open, it will launch back to inbox. But, if you have scrolled, it stays where you scrolled to.

This is my experience. Others may not have the same, but this is what I am seeing so far. I love this device, a lot.
    Xsled thank you so much for your detailed and clear answers! much appreciated!
    From your answers I understand, firsts, that MSFT has not yet tuned W10M TP for all devices and secondly that new processor + 3GB RAM due make significant difference.
    One last question, if possible. If you have set more than one mail accounts (like yahoo, gmail, corporate etc), does the notification area group the mail accounts different so that there is on grouped mail for Yahoo, another one Group for corporate etc? This is something handy in WP8.1 that during the W10M TP builds and different Outlook mail versions, sometimes it kept the 8.1 functionality by grouping account separated and sometimes it merged all the mails into one "Outlook Mail" group. Right now it still has the one "Outlook Mail" behavior which frustating. Please not that in order to check this option you need to have not set the mail accounts as merged under Mail settings.

Again thank you very much for your answers.
    11-24-2015 01:06 PM
    Got mine on Sunday. Compared my 830 running build 10586 to the display unit and was impressed. The screens are about the same size except that the 950 has the back/home/search buttons on the screen. Was pleased to see that a simple swipe up makes the buttons drop out, and then the same gesture makes them come back.

Very impressed with the display! The text was about the same size when visiting the same website on the two phones, but the text on the 950 is extremely clear. The 830 isn't so bad, but the 950 is noticeably superior. The 950 is also has superior responsiveness. Running the 950 for two days now, quite happy, Hey Cortana is fun, and I'm about to try out the iris scanner.

The camera flat-out rocks. The adjustable flash after the photo has been taken is very cool, and glad to see slow motion video. Here's hoping they up the frame rate to 120 or better soon.

Keep it up MS!
    jmajid likes this.
    11-24-2015 02:04 PM
    Got mine on Sunday. Compared my 830 running build 10586 to the display unit and was impressed. The screens are about the same size except that the 950 has the back/home/search buttons on the screen. Was pleased to see that a simple swipe up makes the buttons drop out, and then the same gesture makes them come back.

Very impressed with the display! The text was about the same size when visiting the same website on the two phones, but the text on the 950 is extremely clear. The 830 isn't so bad, but the 950 is noticeably superior. The 950 is also has superior responsiveness. Running the 950 for two days now, quite happy, Hey Cortana is fun, and I'm about to try out the iris scanner.

The camera flat-out rocks. The adjustable flash after the photo has been taken is very cool, and glad to see slow motion video. Here's hoping they up the frame rate to 120 or better soon.

Keep it up MS!
    thanks for the tip about the virtual buttons and swiping up from the bottom...
    I love Hey Cortana feature on my desktop - cant wait for this on the phone too.... and the sensorcore also for the step tracking :)
    11-24-2015 02:20 PM
    Xsled thank you so much for your detailed and clear answers! much appreciated!
    From your answers I understand, firsts, that MSFT has not yet tuned W10M TP for all devices and secondly that new processor + 3GB RAM due make significant difference.
    One last question, if possible. If you have set more than one mail accounts (like yahoo, gmail, corporate etc), does the notification area group the mail accounts different so that there is on grouped mail for Yahoo, another one Group for corporate etc? This is something handy in WP8.1 that during the W10M TP builds and different Outlook mail versions, sometimes it kept the 8.1 functionality by grouping account separated and sometimes it merged all the mails into one "Outlook Mail" group. Right now it still has the one "Outlook Mail" behavior which frustating. Please not that in order to check this option you need to have not set the mail accounts as merged under Mail settings.

Again thank you very much for your answers.
    My outlook has separate inboxes for each account (yahoo, google).
    Xsled likes this.
    11-24-2015 03:30 PM
    Has anyone with a 950 confirmed it will work with Band 2?
    11-24-2015 03:47 PM
    First impressions of the white LUMIA 950:
    1. It feels cheap, just like the 635 and 640. Does NOT feel solid and sturdy like the 920 and 1020 both do.
    2. The white is easily marred, so if keeping a good finish is important to you, get a case.
    3. STILL HAS SEVERAL APPS THAT WON'T UPDATE
    4. Wireless charging is hit-or-miss. You have to position it just right on the pad. Never had this problem with the 920 or 1020.
    5. The camera simply doesn't compare to my 1020, PARTICULARLY in low-light conditions. Images are washed out and the contrast is stark compared to the 1020 (I'm talking about images taken without making adjustments ahead of time). I'll be sticking to my 1020 for pictures, period.
    6. The autofocus doesn't work very well at all on the 950, and I find I resort to manual focus 60% of the time. It tested this on my wife's identical 950 to see if I just got a bad unit, but the problem was consistent. Autofocus on the 1020 is precise every time.
    7. Almost all performance is jerky. Scrolling, switching screens, selecting from drop-lists, doesn't matter. Given this is supposedly better specs than my 1020 I should see almost universal smoothness. Of course, this is W10, so I'm not at all surprised.
    8. Increasing text sizes does NOTHING to fix how absolutely, stupidly TINY fonts are on the tiles. Having the TINY numbers for outstanding notifications on tiles is an idiotic choice compared to how large and bold they are on WP8.1. Major fail.
    9. Icons on many third party app tiles are VERY TINY as well, creating a horrible look on the Start Screen.
    10. Hello is virtually useless. Even after MULTIPLE attempts to "Improve Recognition", the stupid thing half the time says, "Couldn't detect your eyes". Several times it has come up with an error saying "Hello has been blocked due to too many failed attempts" forcing me to use the PIN. I'm turning of this ridiculous feature.
    11. Motion data doesn't work correctly, rarely picking up that I have accumulated steps--even thought I've made all the motion settings are on.
    12. When trying to configure individual app sounds it locks up and crashes within a few seconds of trying out different sounds. It took an hour of this just to configure custom sounds for a handful of apps. Ridiculous.
    13. Battery life is "meh". I can get as much battery time out of my 1020 that's over two years old and had thousands of charges. I should get significantly better battery from a new device.
    14. I see the "dots" in random cases when trying to start an app or switch screens. I'm assuming this is merely the replacement for "loading" or "resuming" used in most situations.
    15. I also see the circular arrows come up randomly, also something I'm betting is analogous to "resuming".
    16. Often huge delays in Cortana responding. Or you'll hear the "bleep" indicating that Cortana is listening BEFORE you get the notifications (e.g., you hear "bleep".... long pause...." You have a text from <insert name>".
    17. I've decided that 5.2 inches is just too big of a device to be comfortable to use, a problem that is made worse when you put a case on it (which you absolutely will need to do because this thing feels and is built like a cheap toy).
    18. All of the rest my limitless complaints about how bad Windows 10 is still apply.
    11-24-2015 03:49 PM
    Has anyone with a 950 confirmed it will work with Band 2?
    Yep, works just fine.
    11-24-2015 03:50 PM
609 ... 1314151617 ...