[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

I'd like to thank all the ATT 950 beta testers. Hopefully the last few bugs will be taken care of by the time my XL ships.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

I have always complained that the 930 didn't go dim enough, it is always too bright, especially at night...

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

View attachment 116707

Have you tried changing the brightness profile in the display settings under 'extra'. That might help somewhat.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I was all excited for 950xl, but I cant't justify spending so much on flimsily build phone :-(, I think ill have to stay with 920 for little longer until it dies, then get cheap lumia after than until Panos do his magic with phone department (I guess another year of waiting)

Why do you want to change the legendary L920 to a cheap Lumia? & moreover L920 is a solid device, I'm sure it won't die easily that soon. With W10 TP it works like a charm, except for the front camera & the battery life now lasts for 12-13hrs. Mine is 3yrs old now.

L950xl is really good, no denying that, & it's miles ahead of L920. But it is definitely not like how the L920 was in 2012 when launched. If you still need an upgrade, wait until Jan and get the pocket friendly L950 when prices fall down.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I cannot wait to walk into the conference room, use Windows Hello to unlock my phone, and fire up continuum to do a presentation. All this time being clowned for having a Windows Phone is about to pay off. hah!

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Why do you want to change the legendary L920 to a cheap Lumia? & moreover L920 is a solid device, I'm sure it won't die easily that soon. With W10 TP it works like a charm, except for the front camera & the battery life now lasts for 12-13hrs. Mine is 3yrs old now.

L950xl is really good, no denying that, & it's miles ahead of L920. But it is definitely not like how the L920 was in 2012 when launched. If you still need an upgrade, wait until Jan and get the pocket friendly L950 when prices fall down.

Well, I'm still waiting to play around with 950xl when they come to stores where I live, I might get nice surprise and will actually like the 950xl and get one. I dont really want to part with 920 yet, as it is amazing phone (i will miss that screen I think, I always liked LCD better than amoled especially with clearblack), but if I choose not to upgrade to 950xl and 920 dies (it is 3 years old now and battery is slowly dying ) on me then ill have to get something cheap (like 640) until Panos realises new amazing lumias with sd820 (hopefully)

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't omit the feeling that user eeewing is a fine tuned throll.

...and I would advise that before calling names, you check out my profile and past posting history. I've been a member here since this site was a baby, and have had (and enjoyed) Windows Phones of every generation. However, the devices have ALWAYS had problems, and I don't wear blinders. The build quality of this phone is fine, but not up to the par of other platform's flagships. If you have one and disagree, great! That's why this is a "first impressions" thread...so we can all post our gut impressions of the phone.

anon(5354555)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
OK, got mine and here are some impressions - coming off a Lumia 920 and wife has Samsung Galaxy S6 for comparison:
1. Wow, this thing is light..and slick.
2. Screen is pretty amazing
3. Had a bit of a setup issue in that I did a restore from the 920 and it wasn't pretty. Reset and started from scratch. ATT has bloatware on it and I removed it. However, I still have two apps that will not update: Advanced Info and Lumia Help+tips. Error codes thrown which can't find anything related.
4. Phone gets warm
5. Hello Windows sign in is pretty cool and fast
6. Build quality seems good but cheap. I expect as back covers by mozo are added, it will be premium looking and feeling anyway.
7. Haven't used the camera yet
8. Since I haven't played with Win 10 mobile and the apps, there are some nice features I haven't seen before and nice apps like Pandora.

Overall, I am very pleased. I think the glance and Hello, Windows features are really awesome. Now to continue playing... :)

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
OK, got mine and here are some impressions - coming off a Lumia 920 and wife has Samsung Galaxy S6 for comparison:
1. Wow, this thing is light..and slick.
2. Screen is pretty amazing
3. Had a bit of a setup issue in that I did a restore from the 920 and it wasn't pretty. Reset and started from scratch. ATT has bloatware on it and I removed it. However, I still have two apps that will not update: Advanced Info and Lumia Help+tips. Error codes thrown which can't find anything related.
4. Phone gets warm
5. Hello Windows sign in is pretty cool and fast
6. Build quality seems good but cheap. I expect as back covers by mozo are added, it will be premium looking and feeling anyway.
7. Haven't used the camera yet
8. Since I haven't played with Win 10 mobile and the apps, there are some nice features I haven't seen before and nice apps like Pandora.

Overall, I am very pleased. I think the glance and Hello, Windows features are really awesome. Now to continue playing... :)

Warm...does 950 has liquid cooling?

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
not only you will get cooling system, but also the ram on xl is lpddr4 instead of lpddr3, and obviously better GPU and CPU (i don't think CPU is concern but better GPU is always plus)

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
So, I just talked on the phone for an hour, and the phone was as cool as a cucumber in my pocket. Now I'm streaming TV to it while I work and it's still nice and cool. So I don't know what the deal was because earlier I was installing apps and surfing through menus and the phone was getting really warm. My iPhone used to get really hot when I would talk on the phone, so I figured that, if anything, would cook the 950. But, nope. Looking at the settings menu is apparently more taxing.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just set mine up, and I'm transfering my number etc over!

First impression is it feels and looks like it's from the future, lol. It weighs a lot less than my iPhone5, and it's a LOT bigger! The screen looks fantastic, text looks amazing. Added my MS account and everything transferred over like magic, thanks to RumoredNow's awesome post giving me all the information I needed to prep my iPhone to have everything migrate seamlessly.

I'll give more detailed opinions after I get a chance to use it for a bit.

The only iPhones which weigh more than the 950 (150g) are the 6 Plus (172g) and the 6S Plus (192g). The iPhone 5 was only 112g, though it was also a much smaller device.

Only xl has liquid cooling

No, the 950 DOES have liquid cooling in it.

Microsoft Lumia 950 goes official with PureView camera, liquid cooling - GSMArena.com news

"The Lumia 950 is powered by Snapdragon 808 with liquid cooling and 3GB of RAM."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism