[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you just unboxed a Lumia 950? Is it so recent that you haven't stopped fiddling with it yet? Which variant did you get?

Give us some quick thoughts on how you like your new device. What stands out right away as a major draw? What seems to be lacking?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

Remember, this thread is for quick impressions of the device. Please post your full reviews over here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/394739-[real-users]-my-lumia-950-review.html We definitely want to see both: the quick blurbs here and in-depth user reviews in the other thread.

Thank you for helping all the curious members and guests to get a glimpse of this device.

Last edited by a moderator:

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I just set mine up, and I'm transfering my number etc over!

First impression is it feels and looks like it's from the future, lol. It weighs a lot less than my iPhone5, and it's a LOT bigger! The screen looks fantastic, text looks amazing. Added my MS account and everything transferred over like magic, thanks to RumoredNow's awesome post giving me all the information I needed to prep my iPhone to have everything migrate seamlessly.

I'll give more detailed opinions after I get a chance to use it for a bit.

20151118_173906262_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just set mine up, and I'm transfering my number etc over!

First impression is it feels and looks like it's from the future, lol. It weighs a lot less than my iPhone5, and it's a LOT bigger! The screen looks fantastic, text looks amazing. Added my MS account and everything transferred over like magic, thanks to RumoredNow's awesome post giving me all the information I needed to prep my iPhone to have everything migrate seamlessly.

I'll give more detailed opinions after I get a chance to use it for a bit.

"from the future" :) LOL - it is from the future for the rest of us :)
Congrats though and do come back and share what you like and what you dont... dont forget us here!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...thanks to RumoredNow's awesome post giving me all the information I needed to prep my iPhone to have everything migrate seamlessly.

My pleasure John. Happy to help. I'm excited for you and a bit jelly. Today has me rethinking my decision to stand pat with 1520.

I look forward to more from you here, and a full review in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/394739-[real-users]-my-lumia-950-review.html

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
First impression was: wow! what a gorgeous display, coupled with: wow! this device feels *really* cheap in-hand. Tactile feedback on buttons is good, but a noticeable quality difference between these and the porcelain buttons used by Nokia on past devices. Haven't updated the software yet, but installed build is a little laggy in places. Anxious to give this guy a spin for the rest of the day, and to try out this camera...!

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Awesome... Any updates available when you unboxed or was 10586 native?

I'm not entirely sure... it did go through a whole setup process, but I don't think I saw any kind of specific updating process. It did sit and think for about 3-4 minutes, but I think it was downloading and setting up apps.

Jurbatov

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
My pleasure John. Happy to help. I'm excited for you and a bit jelly. Today has me rethinking my decision to stand pat with 1520.

I look forward to more from you here, and a full review in this thread: [/url]

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

Where can I find your awesome post about the migration from iOS to WM10? Thanks!

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
can someone who already has one answer my questions please
- how do buttons feel ??? I am asking because the button are part of the cover now, which leads me to believe they will feel cheap and flimsy compared to ceramic buttons on my lumia 920
-since you got your phone was it getting warm/hotish at any time?
-is build quality of the phone good? I'm not asking about aesthetics, but purely build quality.
-one of the most important questions, how is the single rear facing speaker ('face-palm!!!' 2015 flagship with this arrangement is not acceptable in my opinion)

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
- how do buttons feel ??? I am asking because the button are part of the cover now, which leads me to believe they will feel cheap and flimsy compared to ceramic buttons on my lumia 920

They feel very cheap (wobbling back and forth easily), especially as compared to the ceramic buttons on the 920.

Nope, not yet!

-is build quality of the phone good? I'm not asking about aesthetics, but purely build quality.

It's...okay. I would really be hesitant to call it flagship-level. Lots of plastic, dirt/dust gets trapped in odd placed (the embossed logos on the back, or edges of the display), and it feels in-hand similar to a device like the Moto E. Screen appears to have no oleophobic coating.

-one of the most important questions, how is the single rear facing speaker ('face-palm!!!' 2015 flagship with this arrangement is not acceptable in my opinion)

In all honesty, the speaker's not great.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Having handled the XL in a store, I didn't notice a lot of difference. The buttons on the 920 are also part of the cover, main difference is that on the 920 the cover isn't (easily) removable.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

They feel very cheap (wobbling back and forth easily), especially as compared to the ceramic buttons on the 920.

Nope, not yet! EDIT: it is now that I've begun loading apps.

It's...okay. I would really be hesitant to call it flagship-level. Lots of plastic, dirt/dust gets trapped in odd placed (the embossed logos on the back, or edges of the display), and it feels in-hand similar to a device like the Moto E. Screen appears to have no oleophobic coating.

In all honesty, the speaker's not great.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks for quick reply, a lot of first impression from Microsoft conference omitted all of these small things. I think when they come out in carphone warehouse in UK ill go play with one to see them in person, I was all excited for 950xl, but I cant't justify spending so much on flimsily build phone :-(, I think ill have to stay with 920 for little longer until it dies, then get cheap lumia after than until Panos do his magic with phone department (I guess another year of waiting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3