[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
can someone who already has one answer my questions please
- how do buttons feel ??? I am asking because the button are part of the cover now, which leads me to believe they will feel cheap and flimsy compared to ceramic buttons on my lumia 920
-since you got your phone was it getting warm/hotish at any time?
-is build quality of the phone good? I'm not asking about aesthetics, but purely build quality.
-one of the most important questions, how is the single rear facing speaker ('face-palm!!!' 2015 flagship with this arrangement is not acceptable in my opinion)
Not so weird. The V10 the G4 has rear facing speakers too right?

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

I know the V10 has a rear speaker, and while it's pretty loud, it is terrible in comparison to front facing stereo speakers. At least compared to my M8. I was really hoping HTC ushered in a new standard feature with ffs. Oh well, maybe next phone.

If you haven't noticed, the writers don't spend much ink on phones anymore. Too much heat. Laptops and corporate infrastructure is how they roll.

And yet they have a bunch of articles about the Lumia 950/XL on their homepage...

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I guess the V10 I have is faulty, because the speaker is on the bottom edge of the phone.

My bad, it's on the bottom. I got my phones mixed up, my girlfriend has a V10 but I've been so wrapped up in the 950/XL's release (XL has it on back) that I confused the two in my mind.

So I stand corrected, the V10 speaker is on the bottom.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
My bad, it's on the back. I got my phones mixed up, my girlfriend has a V10 but I've been so wrapped up in the 950/XL's release (XL has it on back) that I confused the two in my mind.

So I stand corrected, the V10 speaker is on the bottom.

Mate, I wish the speaker WAS on the back, that way they could have placed a larger diameter driver in there. Apple seems to be the only manufacturer who knows how to get good sound out of a speaker placed in that particular edge location. The V10's speaker is alright, but far from the best I've heard :)

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

only g4 had rear facing speaker, biggest mistake lg made, but at least it is in position where you can cup your hand to direct sound, on 950 you can't do that. If the speaker was on bottom, that's not perfect solution but it is better than back.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I would say that speaker on the back is way better than on the bottom. Think about playing a game or watching a video in landscape. You will most likely cover it with your hand.
At least that is what happened to me like everytime I did those things with my ex Sony Z1 Compact with bottom speaker. Allways had to reposition in hand so that I don't cover it.
No doubt front speakers are the best, otherwise on the back.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's that big of a deal really.

after all it depends on every individual's needs, I watch a lot of videos on my phone (like buzzfeed on youtube) and having the front facing speakers would be perfect solution, on lumia 920 speaker is on bottom so I can wrap my hand around to direct sound towards me, but this is pretty much impossible on 950.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with idea of comparing this device to flagships from other platforms, after all as a customer when I pay ?470 for lumia 950xl and I can get nexus 6p for ?450 (only 32gb I know before someone points this out) I would expect the fit and finish to be on par, I don't care if Microsoft uses plastic, frankly I think it makes more sense when is comes to durability of the phone. But Fit and Finish should be on par.

The build quality on the Nexus 6P is extremely bad. If you compare the 950 to that thing, the 950 will destroy it in almost every front.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The build quality on the Nexus 6P is extremely bad. If you compare the 950 to that thing, the 950 will destroy it in almost every front.

Huawei always sucked at build quality. It is cheap, low quality manufacturer, as is usually case with chinese stuff (no offense).

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So initial impressions:

The iris scanner works flawlessly. The only odd thing is that it does the scan every single time even when there's a delay on password unlock.
On the topic of liquid cooling, the 950 isn't equipped with it. Far too many tech sites simply repeat what they've read elsewhere and don't do their own research.

thanks for taking the time to give your first impressions...
can you elaborate and clarify what you meant when referring to windows hello (iris scanner)?

i have reported and posted the FCC internal photos of the 950 and 950XL several times on these forums - people just want to listen/"believe" some tech bloggers who dont know what they are talking about... the 950 does NOT have any liquid cooling in it... the pipes are very obviously there in the 950XL, you cant miss them...

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you own a 950?

I don't own 950, but why does it matter? If you are going to say you can direct sound towards me then yes you can, but speaker is where camera module is so that would be very uncomfortable to use. Whatever people say will not change my mind on how badly speaker is paced on this phone, but that one future does not cause me to abandon idea of buying 950 xl

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks for taking the time to give your first impressions...
can you elaborate and clarify what you meant when referring to windows hello (iris scanner)?

Sure... So, I have my phone set so that it locks (requiring a password) to unlock after a delay of 5 minutes. This way I don't have to re-enter the password if I've just done something with the phone. I assumed the iris scanner would follow the same rule, but it doesn't.

Now, to be clear, if the phone is unlocked you can ignore than scanner and just swipe to home. It just seems odd that it would come on at all in that situation.

I will add that there is a setting that automatically jumps to home from the lock screen using the scanner. I've got it turned on, because with it off the scanner comes on anyway, even when the phone is unlocked. It just confirms your identity and leaves you at the lock screen.

That functionality strikes me a bit odd. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just function like a traditional password unlock always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3