[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Sure... So, I have my phone set so that it locks (requiring a password) to unlock after a delay of 5 minutes. This way I don't have to re-enter the password if I've just done something with the phone. I assumed the iris scanner would follow the same rule, but it doesn't.

Now, to be clear, if the phone is unlocked you can ignore than scanner and just swipe to home. It just seems odd that it would come on at all in that situation.

I will add that there is a setting that automatically jumps to home from the lock screen using the scanner. I've got it turned on, because with it off the scanner comes on anyway, even when the phone is unlocked. It just confirms your identity and leaves you at the lock screen.

That functionality strikes me a bit odd. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just function like a traditional password unlock always has.

if im understanding you correctly... there is an option to have the lockscreen active, and it not require the passcode to be entered? and at this active lockscreen, windows hello is still there and is used?

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
950 impressions - Another post from an early adopter

The Good:
  1. Display
  2. Thickness - so thin
  3. Speed - so this is what a fast phone feels like!
  4. Windows Hello - neat little trick
  5. I can use my DT-900 and DT-910 Qi chargers
  6. SD card slot!
  7. Camera (thanks for the reminder Zujko)

The Bad:
  1. Windows 10 Mobile - Double tap is missing
  2. Windows 10 Mobile - it isn't a finished build (we knew that though)
  3. Windows 10 Mobile - Messaging + Skype app just isn't 'there' yet, but you can see the promise in it
  4. Windows 10 Mobile - Lumia Help+Tips and Advanced Info will never install, always result in error 0x803F8006
  5. Me - I choose a clean setup and learned I have a 2 year gap in text messages (all present on old phone), I am missing 11/30/2013 - 11/18/2015
  6. Me - Sonic Dash dev's says it's impossible to backup data on a Windows Phone/Mobile device... REALLY?! iOS uses iCloud, Android uses Google+ Cloud, but Windows doesn't have a cloud that they knew of apparently
  7. Me - I have to buy a new army of chargers/cables

Major Annoyances (for me)
  1. AT&T - Visual Voicemail is missing/broken/inconsistent
  2. Unknown - Windows Central live tile is not updating until I open the app
  3. Email/Text alerts no longer make it to my 1st Gen MS Band

I have yet to encounter a show stopper that would make me want to return it. All in all, this is a dream compared to my well worn and used Lumia 920.

I am hunting for a Qi compatible case, if you know of one please share (Mozo?).

Last edited:

SpicyKB

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
if im understanding you correctly... there is an option to have the lockscreen active, and it not require the passcode to be entered? and at this active lockscreen, windows hello is still there and is used?

Take a look here. http://1drv.ms/1NdYENp (Account's too young for links, so delete the space between slashes.)

You can biometrically authorize the phone with the iris scanner and choose to have it stay at the lockscreen until you physically swipe up with your finger. Alternatively, you can see I chose the setting where it needs no physical finger swipe and -- after checking my iris -- unlocks itself to the home screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
How do you like the V10? I'm on the fence about getting one. Thanks.

I think it's a great phone. It is on the larger side, and all the reviews I read talked about how huge and heavy it was, I didn't think so. I thought it felt pretty light and good in the hand. The camera is the stand out feature on that phone, it is the same one from the G4, but better. There's also cool stuff like a 32 bit DAC and headphone amp built in, I was really impressed by it. I almost got it, but I held out for the 950. I don't think anyone could go wrong with that phone, but that's just my opinion.

Shane_B

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
They feel very cheap (wobbling back and forth easily), especially as compared to the ceramic buttons on the 920.

Nope, not yet!

It's...okay. I would really be hesitant to call it flagship-level. Lots of plastic, dirt/dust gets trapped in odd placed (the embossed logos on the back, or edges of the display), and it feels in-hand similar to a device like the Moto E. Screen appears to have no oleophobic coating.

In all honesty, the speaker's not great.

Damn.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Both lumia 950/950 xl are made in vietnam, my country, but they're not yet ready for shopping here and no date announcement so far :angry: Only thing is that there's at least 20% of people having smart phones here are using Windows phone

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.

I have to say that I agree with the comments about the flimsy plastic. I had a chance to play with a 950 XL in a MSFT store before the phones were recalled and the backs are quite thin and flimsy compared to the back of my 928.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a great phone. It is on the larger side, and all the reviews I read talked about how huge and heavy it was, I didn't think so. I thought it felt pretty light and good in the hand. The camera is the stand out feature on that phone, it is the same one from the G4, but better. There's also cool stuff like a 32 bit DAC and headphone amp built in, I was really impressed by it. I almost got it, but I held out for the 950. I don't think anyone could go wrong with that phone, but that's just my opinion.

My sentiments exactly, I honestly saw it as the best Android phone available today. With the stainless steel construction and rubbery knurled back, it feels like a weapon when you hold it.

f1.8 aperture, with full manual control over photos and video, shoots in raw, and you can adjust the audio level when recording through front or rear microphones.

ESS Technologies high resolution DAC and headphone amplifier built into the phone. It sounds freaking amazing through my Audio-Technica headphones

Removable battery and expandable storage. I got a free spare battery, charging cradle, and 200GB MicroSD card included.

redmisfitx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The phone feels premium, is it like previous high end Lumias design wise? no. But look how well those sold. The camera is faster and takes better pictures than my 1020 and 930. The screen looks light years ahead of every other phone I've laid my hands on, its light and thin. You can't please everybody, but its funny reading all of the comments trashing the device when pound for pound there is nothing better out there. Well I guess there's the app gap and lack of mobile payment, but that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs