[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
YES! Thank you, hahaha. So obvious, both of them. I kept doing long-press on the Windows Home button thinking that would do it, but that brings you into 'one-hand mode'.

Also, no idea how I missed that in lock screen settings. :confused:

What made you choose a Windows Phone. Was it the OS or the phone (l950) itself? just curious.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Splitting hairs now. RTM is not the right term and I used it improperly.

True, but missing VVM and it becoming a nag screen, double tap to wake is missing, and other annoyances is a little much (alerts not making it to Band 1st Gen, live tiles not updating, app crashing). It feels less than half baked and will not help the reputation of Windows Mobile now that these flagships have been released.

I was so excited for this device and now I am severely disappointed. I do have a tolerance for bugs and defects, beta this... blah blah blah and so on, Insider Preview here and there... blah blah blah. All the testing I've participated in for various products/companies means little. How I feel with this device in my hand is what matters to me now and it is total disappointment.

I'll continue with the preview program in the hopes that the releases solve some of my issues and concerns. I am not ready to give up on the platform, so I am holding out hope that it stabilizes soon. I've been with it for far too long to give up.

VVM works fine on 10586. Use it daily here on my L830. In fact it the last WM10 build is excellent and I haven't found one issue yet.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Splitting hairs now. RTM is not the right term and I used it improperly.

ok, then it's a non issue :)

True, but missing VVM and it becoming a nag screen, double tap to wake is missing, and other annoyances is a little much (alerts not making it to Band 1st Gen, live tiles not updating, app crashing). It feels less than half baked and will not help the reputation of Windows Mobile now that these flagships have been released.

I was so excited for this device and now I am severely disappointed. I do have a tolerance for bugs and defects, beta this... blah blah blah and so on, Insider Preview here and there... blah blah blah. All the testing I've participated in for various products/companies means little. How I feel with this device in my hand is what matters to me now and it is total disappointment.

I'll continue with the preview program in the hopes that the releases solve some of my issues and concerns. I am not ready to give up on the platform, so I am holding out hope that it stabilizes soon. I've been with it for far too long to give up.

Not everyone seems to be having issues with VVM.
As for the Band, I don't have one, so no comment.

And hey, if you are not happy with the current state, then it's fine. everything should begin to get smoother out over the next few days and weeks for major issues.

Then again, I am a veteran of the "At&t lumia 830 wait for full denim" campaign, so I have EXTREME patience :)

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
What made you choose a Windows Phone. Was it the OS or the phone (l950) itself? just curious.

It was more Windows10 and Microsoft's vision of continuity across devices. I use my PC's every day for both work and play. I run a server, I have an HTPC, a Dell laptop, a gaming rig... all Windows10. Yet my phone and my tablet completely live outside of that ecosystem. Back when I got the first iPhone, and the first iPad, Microsoft and its manufacturers didn't really have a decent alternative for me, so I didn't have much choice. I feel that now with Windows10, they've finally given me a compelling reason not only to buy their products instead of Apples, but to actively switch from one to the other on top of that.

I was always one foot out of the door with Apple, anyway, though. I never invested in iTunes or any of their ecosystem. Didn't even use iCloud to back up my photos. I bought and/or consumed all my media through third party sources, never used anything 'Apple'. I almost went Android this last round, but then I took a long hard look at what MS was doing before I made my decision. Android would have put me in the same position as iOS, having my mobile device be completely Alien from the machines that I use all day, every day.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Need more reports on battery life! If the battery life isn't good for 2 days with moderate usage, I'm running out of excuses to purchase this phone. Maybe the XL if it has better battery life...

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
VVM works fine on 10586. Use it daily here on my L830. In fact it the last WM10 build is excellent and I haven't found one issue yet.
Not everyone seems to be having issues with VVM.
That is what irritates me the most. VVM works on other devices and consistently for some 950 owners.

Then again, I am a veteran of the "At&t lumia 830 wait for full denim" campaign, so I have EXTREME patience :)
You sir, are a very patient and tolerant man!

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
please send your feedbacks on the phone through the feedback app (especially the double tap to wake)..I need MSFT to take note of them. i'm getting the 950 in a few days too and I NEED double tap to wake to be working/included. I've used that feature for so long that I literally will find it very difficult adjusting to clicking the physical power button.
Also, how is windows hello (iris scanner) working for you. I've received mixed feedbacks from this forum on it. some say it's amazing, others complain that they have to bring the phone really close to their faces. but the general advice is that we set it up several times for it to work great.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: double tap to wake missing.

this kinda sucks. it went missing with the Insider builds a while back on my 810. I guess now they're giving up on it in favor of Windows Hello?? even my HTC One A9 has double tap for pete's sake.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I still have double tap to wake on my L830 and L930. Both with latest build of W10M, so I don't know why you say it's missing.... ?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Who all is looking forward to buying new USB-C cables??? lol and also if you're in a situation where you're low on charge and your friend has a charger, you won't be able to use it!! USB-C is a double edged sword until the rest of the industry catches on...which could be 2-3 years

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
well, it helps that google's nexus line and oneplus are both on USB-C as well.....but yeah, going to have to order a couple of cables

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think it was a trade off, I think it's just omitted for the moment. something tells me it'll be returned in a coupla weeks.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Need more reports on battery life! If the battery life isn't good for 2 days with moderate usage, I'm running out of excuses to purchase this phone. Maybe the XL if it has better battery life...

I doubt you're going to get anywhere NEAR 2 days. From what I've seen so far, a day with moderate usage looks about right... but problem is the battery on my iPhone was so bad, I've gotten used to plugging my phone in everywhere so I'm currently doing the same with the L950.

I'll be out and about with my friends for about 8 hours tonight and I'm sure it will see some decent usage as I show it off, so we'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa