[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I havnt held the phone in my hands, coupled with a few of the comments about cheap feeling material/buttons etc and Microsofts slight dismissiveness (it is after all a remnant from Nokia, not a fully MS design/build) would you on hindsight have waited for the Intel Surface Phone, rumour ofc but we all know its coming at some point in 2016

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I havnt held the phone in my hands, coupled with a few of the comments about cheap feeling material/buttons etc and Microsofts slight dismissiveness (it is after all a remnant from Nokia, not a fully MS design/build) would you on hindsight have waited for the Intel Surface Phone, rumour ofc but we all know its coming at some point in 2016
Loaded question for me right now, but at this moment I say "no". I needed a new phone, my Lumia 920 is now possessed and is able to crash my home router when I connect it to my Wi-Fi (not kidding).

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Most people wear blue tooth or wired headphones when using a smart phone so the placement of the speaker is secondary and almost a non issue.

Have you ever experienced front facing stereo speakers on a phone? I didn't think it was that big of a deal, until I listened to them. I don't consume a ton of media on my phone, youtube videos and what not, but man I didn't know what I was missing until I heard them on my M8. After you use a device with awesome speakers that actually sound really good, you won't want to go back to anything else. My girlfriend would listen to music all the time and I had to walk into the room she was in to see what speakers she was playing it on, they sounded that good. Loud and clear with no distortion. I'm really not looking forward to going backward to a rear facing mono speaker :eck:

PC1589

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Most of these reviews are pretty disheartening. I love Windows Mobile, but maybe I'll wait. I was really wanting a great camera, but not at the expense of everything else. Wonder what the Acer's phone will be like?

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Received my 950 yesterday. I was so excited and my anticipation was high waiting for this since the announcement. I have to say, I am disappointed. I have listed some items below:

1. Battery Life so far is poor (Had to charge 3 times today)
  2. Windows Update, after setting up Windows Insider, does not work.
  3. Video Playback from recorded videos are very choppy. Audio plays but video stops for long periods.
  4. Have had settings app just crash (close) with no error
  5. Store has crashed several times.
  6. Windows Hello is slow and often does not work. Need to be inches from the phone for it to work.
  7. Performance is not as good as I was expecting but that is just my current perspective.
  8. XBox can't login
  9. Groove needed an update to login
  10. Lumia Creative crashes

Need to work with it for a few more days but so far, not impressed.
:unhappy:
Very sorry to hear . You may just have a factory lemon(All products have em),Exchange for another unit my friend.. My 1st 1520s were merely bad units

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Most of these reviews are pretty disheartening. I love Windows Mobile, but maybe I'll wait. I was really wanting a great camera, but not at the expense of everything else. Wonder what the Acer's phone will be like?
I believe it is the OS, the 950 hardware seems pretty solid (despite the flimsy back). It just isn't ready for release. The recent Windows 10 releases for XBox and PC's only added to the hype generated by the Insider program.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
personally I played around with nexus 6p and and i though the build quality was very good, not exeptional but very good, at least to my standards.

Yeah I have no idea what they're talking about, the 6P feels very premium in the hand.

Check on the Internet. YouTube and Reddit; there's a lot of people complaining about their Nexus 6P
breaking. Front glass and rear camera glass seem to be very fragile. And supposedly (this one I do take with a grain of salt), someone bent two of them and on top of that found that the screen is not even properly attached to the chassis of the phone. Just glued there. Not even clips.

From what I can see about the 950 so far, quality seems quite better.

Out of topic but: "Visa Declined"? I like your nickname! :)

It Wasnt Me

Banned
Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Check on the Internet. YouTube and Reddit; there's a lot of people complaining about their Nexus 6P
breaking. Front glass and rear camera glass seem to be very fragile. And supposedly (this one I do take with a grain of salt), someone bent two of them and on top of that found that the screen is not even properly attached to the chassis of the phone. Just glued there. Not even clips.

From what I can see about the 950 so far, quality seems quite better.

Out of topic but: "Visa Declined"? I like your nickname! :)

I've always liked Visa's name to.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The initial break in period with a new-in-hand device, when users typically spike their activities through the roof, is not the best time to gauge day to day battery life. It is more appropriately gauged over a longer period than the initial 48 hours.

Initial use also usually includes lots of app updates and downloads in the background.

It Wasnt Me

Banned
Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
They feel very cheap (wobbling back and forth easily), especially as compared to the ceramic buttons on the 920.

Nope, not yet!

It's...okay. I would really be hesitant to call it flagship-level. Lots of plastic, dirt/dust gets trapped in odd placed (the embossed logos on the back, or edges of the display), and it feels in-hand similar to a device like the Moto E. Screen appears to have no oleophobic coating.

In all honesty, the speaker's not great.

Tempered glass would fix oleophobic coating.

It Wasnt Me

Banned
Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

All of my settings and contacts synced perfectly (including my alarms).

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

View attachment 116707
You need to adjust the display settings. You can set how bright you want the screen to be even while in automatic.

You should know this already considering you own a 930.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A couple of days in I have some further thoughts:

Speaker placement is a total non-issue for me. The camera bump allows for enough clearance that sound doesn't get muffled. And, in fact, it's probably better located than the speakers on my old 920. Any time I played games on that phone my right hand would obstruct the speakers.

Regarding OS stability, overall it's been pretty good and it feels quite responsive. That said, I've had settings and messaging crash on me a couple of times. It almost always happens on opening, popping right back to home. It happens once and then opens fine on the second attempt.

Playing around with the OS the phone gets warm. Cortana, in particular gets the phone quite hot if you're using it a lot. I haven't tried many games, so I don't know what the impact there might be. My 920 never got hot within the OS, but with some games it warmed up quite badly.

On the 950, however, I've noticed a side effect where the display starts acquiring a faint pink glow towards the bottom end of the phone, where it's hottest. It was only evident in a dark room, on a black background and it disappeared once the phone cooled down. I think this sort of thing may have also happened with the 920, but it seems especially pronounced with the 950.

Connectivity with my Band has been the biggest source of frustration. Most of the day I haven't been able to maintain much more than basic functionality. It's like the communication is only going in one direction. The Health app is collecting data, but the phone refuses to accept most commands from the Band. I never had a problem on my 920.

After resetting the Band, reinstalling the app, and deleting the Bluetooth profile a couple of times everything finally seems to be working properly. Hopefully it sticks.

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Does Outlook have its own account sign-in like Win 10 on my Surface or did they keep the device-centric sign-in through the universal account setup? My company is blocking my 640 XL with the newest fast insider build due to the device-centric sign-in. Outlook works on Android and iOS but blocked on the 640XL.

Would love to know if I need to cancel my 950XL order. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)