[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Mind to explain better why you say there isn't liquid cooling in the 950?

Click on the link he provided and then click on Internal Photos. These are FCC pictures that show the device in various states of disassembly. I don't see a heat pipe in there.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Does Outlook have its own account sign-in like Win 10 on my Surface or did they keep the device-centric sign-in through the universal account setup? My company is blocking my 640 XL with the newest fast insider build due to the device-centric sign-in. Outlook works on Android and iOS but blocked on the 640XL.

Would love to know if I need to cancel my 950XL order. Thanks.
Outlook can connect to many different types of mail server, and the MS account you use for the store and other things on the phone doesn't have to be one of them. I'm not sure what you mean when you say they are blocking the device-centric signin?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I guess all the other previous Galaxy flagship phones weren't flagships either? News flash, these are flagships and if you skip them waiting for other flaghips then those may never come because of poor 950 sales..

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I love saying "I told you so". Nobody believed me when I insisted these are NOT flagships.

I have stated the same but everyone made me a troll, mad man etc etc. I've read all the pages in this thread and from the issues people have encountered, I would not buy this as it is now. The OS is still BETA so spending money on a new phone with a broken OS is not ok. Second, the fact that the phone is getting so warm in basic tasks is not good. Third, windows hello is pretty useless as I've said!! All fanboys were yelling to me that it would be much better than a touch ID. I am asking them now! How is it better?? By the fact that you have to stare a few inches of the phone to make it work?? you call this better?
I've seen reports from other phones that needed freq. charges after you start setting in it for the first time, but I've read NONE saying that they needed 3 charges in one day!

Conclusion: I would really want to get this, mainly for the camera, but as it is now, the OS is a major drawback, still unacceptable low quality in it. As for the hardware, I'll wait to see how many return their phones because of HW problems, as most of the Lumia devices had at launch date.
I'll get one maybe in 5 or 6 months when MS, maybe, will wake up and fix windows 10 to be a reliable mobile OS, not a joke.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go).

Where did you see that the 6S costs more ? I think you are mixing sales price with cost.
The BOM of the 6S is 245$. For instance, another flagship like the Samsung S6 is ... 278$, significantly costlier.

The cost of manufacturing of the iPhones has always been in line or cheaper than the same generation flagships and I expect a Lumia 950 BOM to be pretty much on par or above the iPhone as well.
This is just that Apple prices are just IN-SA-NE-LY higher than any other comparable hardware. Seems to make an impact on some people when we read this comment that you believe price = cost... So probably a good tactic from Apple.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Splitting hairs now. RTM is not the right term and I used it improperly.

True, but missing VVM and it becoming a nag screen, double tap to wake is missing, and other annoyances is a little much (alerts not making it to Band 1st Gen, live tiles not updating, app crashing). It feels less than half baked and will not help the reputation of Windows Mobile now that these flagships have been released.

I do not want to make any generalization but this is funny calling the lack of double-tap to wake up a "half-backed" product when iPhone ... does not have those functionalities. Are iPhones half-backed ?
Also Visual Voice Mail is not available for double-SIM devices. Do you have a single SIM phone ?

For the rest, I cannot comment specifically on the 950 but Build 10586 on my work 640 has been awesome, no problem with Live Tiles or others so let's see.
I still think that you need to let the phone does it stuff the 1st hours of usage before taking any conclusion on speed, hiccups or battery life.

emma0

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Quick question. Those having double tap issues, have you tried disabling windows hello first? Maybe it can't be triggered with double tap so gets disabled

could it be? it makes a lot of sense if double tap isn't there because of an active windows hello. double tap should be there though if you only set the lockscreen to accept pin/nothing. a simple settings app update will fix this if it was originally omitted.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Ordered mine from AT&T and got it the next day (late yesterday). Here's my take after a couple hours

The good:
- The camera is awesome. Its the best PAS camera I've ever owned. Even better than my 1020. Sure the 1020 could do higher resolution, but this phone produces a better pic without any post processing. The pic delivered to your photo folder is ready to go and share. Low light sensitivity is noticeably better. Indoor photos without flash look great unlike the 1020
- It's light and thin
- screen is very good as expected
- screen based nav buttons work fine. No issues to complain about. It's just a non issue.

The bad:
- Its just running Build 586 which we know well. No magic happened. It has all the flaws we are aware of, but it does perform fast with the new hardware. That's a problem but I realize they had no choice. The os team missed the mark. Someone really need to be fired for this
- The screen has a serious issue. It goes unresponsive at times. Sometimes for a second or more. Also scrolling will stutter because of this. Really needs to be fixed immediately .
- Hello is embarrassingly flawed. Should have been disabled and unavailable until it was done. The feature is always on even when in lock mode on my charger. So when laying in bed with it on a stand facing me, it keeps blooping and beeping, asking me to "move closer". It also drains the battery FAST. I've already disabled it

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for two days. My only complaint is no tap to wake, maybe it'll come in an update? Camera, UI, battery life, everything else is very good. I'm very happy!

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have stated the same but everyone made me a troll, mad man etc etc. I've read all the pages in this thread and from the issues people have encountered, I would not buy this as it is now. The OS is still BETA so spending money on a new phone with a broken OS is not ok. Second, the fact that the phone is getting so warm in basic tasks is not good. Third, windows hello is pretty useless as I've said!! All fanboys were yelling to me that it would be much better than a touch ID. I am asking them now! How is it better?? By the fact that you have to stare a few inches of the phone to make it work?? you call this better?
I've seen reports from other phones that needed freq. charges after you start setting in it for the first time, but I've read NONE saying that they needed 3 charges in one day!

Conclusion: I would really want to get this, mainly for the camera, but as it is now, the OS is a major drawback, still unacceptable low quality in it. As for the hardware, I'll wait to see how many return their phones because of HW problems, as most of the Lumia devices had at launch date.
I'll get one maybe in 5 or 6 months when MS, maybe, will wake up and fix windows 10 to be a reliable mobile OS, not a joke.

I would try it yourself before you make any statements, I have tried it and the window hello did not need to be in front of my face to unlock.
It's quite simple, buy one if you are not happy, exercise your consumer rights and return it. Then come on the forms and talk facts and not what you have read in some other post or what you think or feel something is.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
- Hello is embarrassingly flawed. Should have been disabled and unavailable until it was done. The feature is always on even when in lock mode on my charger. So when laying in bed with it on a stand facing me, it keeps blooping and beeping, asking me to "move closer". It also drains the battery FAST. I've already disabled it

Damn...that is sad :(

Shane_B

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I've never owned a Windows phone before but I'm really interested in this phone... Or I was.

Is it normal for Microsoft to release phones so broken? I'm kind of in shock how they could sell this to the general public....

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you're going to get anywhere NEAR 2 days. From what I've seen so far, a day with moderate usage looks about right... but problem is the battery on my iPhone was so bad, I've gotten used to plugging my phone in everywhere so I'm currently doing the same with the L950.

I'll be out and about with my friends for about 8 hours tonight and I'm sure it will see some decent usage as I show it off, so we'll see how it goes.

A phone with a 3000mah batter should last longer than a day. The Droid Maxx phones have 3000mah batteries and last like 3 days!! This is madness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99