[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pusta1122

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Here is my two cents…….I have had my 950 for a few hours. Overall, I am happy and really like the device. To me, the build quality is not an issue and the phone feels pretty sturdy. The plastic back is not an issue because I normally place a case on my phone anyway. As for Windows Hello has worked well thus far. It’s been fast to log me in and I see no massive battery drain. However it’s only been 2 hours, so we will see after a few more hours of testing.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I unfortunately am not able to get the new Windows phones because I am on Verizon who as you know won't be carrying or allowing these Lumia's on their network. I had been using a Lumia Icon since they came out and have decided to upgrade to an iPhone 6S Plus until a new Windows phone comes to Verizon. Sad to leave the Windows Phone community after so many years, but I just couldn't see staying with the Icon for another year or more without any assurance that Microsoft would finally release something new on Verizon. Please don't roast me for leaving as I do it only as an interim situation until MSFT and VZW work things out and bring a great Windows Device to those of us on Verizon!

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Advanced info not updating. Other than that love the phone. Does run hot at times. Contacted Lumia support for help with issue and they can't help me.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
A phone with a 3000mah batter should last longer than a day. The Droid Maxx phones have 3000mah batteries and last like 3 days!! This is madness!!

What kind of CPU is in that phone? And the screen? It seems the L950 and 950XL are resource hogs hardware-wise, comparatively. Hopefully MS can mitigate battery drain somewhat over time through optimization of the OS.

As for my promised report on battery usage, left the house around 7:30pm last night with a fully charged phone. Got home at 3:30am and the phone was at 50% battery. The use activity included 2 solid hours of audible audiobook listening during my commute, perhaps 15-20min on the phone, several youtube videos watched, wikis searched, imdbs checked, Facebooks surfed, txts sent and replied to, pictures taken edited and shared, and various other sporadic internet usage. Also, showed the phone around quite a bit, so a lot of 'screen on' time while people checked it out and surfed through menus, launched apps, etc.

So, IMO... smashing success! The phone saw a lot more activity last night that it normally would for me over the course of 8 hours, and I came out the other end with essentially another 8 hours worth of moderate use.

*One thing to note, when I got home I unplugged the audio cable from the phone that I was using to pipe the audiobook through my truck's system, and plugged in my Apple earpods to continue listening to the book, and the app refused to play it. Also, while the Audible app sat there and did nothing, the phone got hotter and hotter and the battery level started noticeably dropping like a rock. It actually lost quite a bit of battery over the 15 minutes or so that I had it sitting in my pocket not playing a book while I did stuff around the house. I was shocked when I saw the level when I finally force quit the app. Also, after re-launching the app it still did not work, so I re-booted the phone. It worked after that. I re-started audible, and now with my battery around 25%, I went to bed with a book on (sleep mode set to 8 min) and woke up 7 hours later with 5% battery left and my phone telling me I should think about putting it into battery-save mode. The end. :wink:

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I've ordered mine and it's due on 3 December, but what I'm really wondering about: how's the front camera quality?

Check the photos thread, I posted a front camera pic. The quality is far superior to any other selfie-cam I've seen. I was impressed.

- Hello is embarrassingly flawed. Should have been disabled and unavailable until it was done. The feature is always on even when in lock mode on my charger. So when laying in bed with it on a stand facing me, it keeps blooping and beeping, asking me to "move closer". It also drains the battery FAST. I've already disabled it

I, too, shut off Windows Hello after using it for most of a day. It's pretty broken, true... but to be fair, calling it 'embarrassingly flawed' is a bit harsh since it is disabled by default, and where you turn it on in settings there is a noticeable BETA warning. If you decided to turn it on to help test it, then I hope you also sent your feedback to MS about its flaws so they can address them.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
For the time being as a VZ user I have to be all psyched for you and yet quietly be sad. Can't switch over quite yet (too busy) so for now I am very happy as those who use this phone are using one of the best devices on the planet. Congrats

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
A phone with a 3000mah batter should last longer than a day. The Droid Maxx phones have 3000mah batteries and last like 3 days!! This is madness!!

The Droid Maxx was (as its name implies) engineered around having an extreme battery life. That was its only claim to fame and its attempted niche. It had a 3500 mAh battery actually, and a 720x1280 screen, and a Snapdragon S4Pro, not the specs needed for a powerhouse of a phone, but selected to maximize battery life. Not a fair comparison.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
do you need something that specific app provides or is it just annoying you? just asking since my 920 hasn't been able to update glance (on w10) and is has not hindered performance and doesn't bug me

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
do you need something that specific app provides or is it just annoying you?
Live tiles don't update
Bluetooth doesn't connect to headset, band or car without a reboot
Backups don't appear in OneDrive
Apps crash consistently, especially messaging + Skype
VVM nag screen now for pin

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Live tiles don't update
Bluetooth doesn't connect to headset, band or car without a reboot
Backups don't appear in OneDrive
Apps crash consistently, especially messaging + Skype
VVM nag screen now for pin

interesting:
my live tiles do update fine
haven't had bluetooth issues yet
I see my onedrive backup
messaging does crash sometimes, but it's less than 2 seconds worth of work to get it back up
my VVM works fine. no nagging

have you gone into backup in settings and initiated a backup? the auto backup schedule, from my experience, isn't nightly, and sometimes takes a few days (up to a week) before another backup is done.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Got 2 today. I have NO problems at all. VVM went thru setup once. Works fine. Apps are still updating, but the ones that have finished have live tile working fine. No crashes. Trained Hey Cortana, works as expected. Hello works super cool, even with very dark sunglasses. Bluetooth working fine. Like the options to tell BT what to do and which apps it can connect to for a device.
Like I said, so far, Love it!

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The device (640 XL) identifies itself as a WP8 device which is being blocked by my company. Outlook as an independent app will typically get through but the "unapproved" devices such as Windows Phone, Android devices are either quarantined or just blocked. One of the insider builds had Outlook setup as the same type of app as the iOS version but there were issues with the build that would not allow new account additions.

Here is an example:

Nexus 6P was blocked by my IT department when adding my corporate Office 365 account info into the phone's settings (new account) yet the MS Outlook app for Android registered perfectly. Galaxy Note 4 had a third party exchange mail system that enabled some kind of corp policy that allowed my device to register. Nexus 6P----no, iphone----yes, 640 XL---no, Note 4---yes. Strange.

So, how is the 950 Outlook app setup? Same as the fast insider recent build as part of the device (device-centric) or separate like the iOS version?

Thanks

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
have you gone into backup in settings and initiated a backup? the auto backup schedule, from my experience, isn't nightly, and sometimes takes a few days (up to a week) before another backup is done.
Many times, even triggered backups on a 635 with the latest preview release. I can see a backup from the 635, but not the 950.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786