[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsantosf

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
great camera, updates funny

First thing: camera is great at low light, and FAST! I can click to take multiple in sequence without having to wait a few seconds in between. It processes them in the background apparently.
BUT, after activating the insider preview again, got stuck with an error installing 'insider fast configuration update'. Linked inbox suddenly went away as well.
Screen is bright, very visible even outside. Double-tapping action bar to turn it off is great but double-tap to wake up missing.
I also got a samsung 64gb sdxc card for around $20, getting my mozo back tonight.

So, apparently great hardware, software almost there.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, me too. Are Screenshots broken for any other 950 users? I get an error message when I attempt to take one. Also, did anyone else use the phone restore feature on your 950 when you initially set it up? I used my previous phone's backup (Lumia 1020 running W10 b10581) and many of the apps in the start list are duplicated but the duplicate is grayed out and cannot be selected or removed. Anyone else seeing these issues?

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, me too. Are Screenshots broken for any other 950 users? I get an error message when I attempt to take one. Also, did anyone else use the phone restore feature on your 950 when you initially set it up? I used my previous phone's backup (Lumia 1020 running W10 b10581) and many of the apps in the start list are duplicated but the duplicate is grayed out and cannot be selected or removed. Anyone else seeing these issues?

Works fine for me. Someone else mentioned this problem and discovered it was because they were out of storage space.

metalb00

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
The Droid Maxx was (as its name implies) engineered around having an extreme battery life. That was its only claim to fame and its attempted niche. It had a 3500 mAh battery actually, and a 720x1280 screen, and a Snapdragon S4Pro, not the specs needed for a powerhouse of a phone, but selected to maximize battery life. Not a fair comparison.

i had a maxx new and it never lasted me more than a day. the 950 also has more advanced/demanding hardware and a slightly bigger screen, those items prob suck up a bit more juice

Edit: i meant to reply to the original post

Last edited:

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
First 2 hours with the phone and it's working fine for me (knock on wood). Hello Windows works better on my Surface Book - I can have it in my lap and it will recognize me. The phone has to be about a foot from my face - I hope it gets better..but it's working for me. No 'advances info update error' yet at least. Double tap is not working :( Hopefully that will come. There seem fewer bugs then there were when the Surface Book just came out.. so i'm pleasantly surprised. I'll let you know if I still feel this way at the end of the day.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
the 950 also has more advanced/demanding hardware and a slightly bigger screen, those items prob suck up a bit more juice

Significantly larger screen. Maybe only slightly bigger in physical dimensions, but that's not what matters. What matters is that it's a much higher resolution screen and that takes more juice.

Pusta1122

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Is everyone getting the advances info update error? I know it's a small issue but definitely driving me nuts.

Mine finally updated and installed correctly. It seemed to work once all the other apps finished installing. My advice would be to put it on WiFi and wait a hour or two (I know if not much help).

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I got mine at 9am right when the AT&T store opened this morning. Nobody else there (not surprising). They still didn't have the demo phone in place, but did have some signage up where the phone is going to be displayed. Got the all black, since I had seen the white XL at a Microsoft store and didn't really care for the look. I like the phone very much so far. Coming from a 1020 with 8.1, it is night and day as far as speed. Also I've been using a 635 to test windows 10 on. So I'm pretty familiar with how it works already, but again it's like a different world using the 950 in comparison. One not so obvious improvement that maybe hasn't been metioned: Music through headphones/aux is better on 950 vs. 1020. Other impressions - windows 10 apps from microsoft such as groove, weather, and cortana are much better than their predecessors. Getting used to the slightly larger phone. The screen is worth the trade-off of the perfect fit in my hand of the 1020. I can still use the 950 one handed, just not as effectively. The one handed mode in 10 is very cool. I haven't even used the camera, but from what I have seen and heard I may like it more than the 1020. I sure won't miss the saving... delay on the 1020. USB C is great. I like the design of the phone just fine.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
FORMER 1520 WHO WANTED THE 950 XL].. " I have fallen back in love with Windows Again" I do not miss the 1520 ( Thus far)

Coming from the Insider Preview ( which was a nice opportunity ) but I am surprised how much I like this smaller , Lighter ' FLAGSHIP !!!!!! Device. Tight , Snappy and full of cutting edged technology.. I like being the kid that the other kids are jealous of lmao

ChrisG_MS

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Coming from a 920. Picked my 950 (white) up this morning at a local AT&T store (been on a list for it for the last three days) and it is fantastic.
The camera in particular is ridiculously good. Did a photo from inside my office building looking out and it gets a huge amount of detail from a bright day outside as well as being able to capture the carpet detail in the dimly lit interior. My colleague tried to take the same photo with his iPhone 5S (yes, not a 6 but still) and it couldn't get any carpet detail. Cropped image...
Lumia950TestPhoto_WP_20151120_13_03_40_Rich_LI.jpg
Windows Hello is pretty quick. It regonizes me in about the time I'd take to swipe up and tap one digit. And when my work mandates a 6 digit PIN then Windows Hello is a lot quicker :)
Very happy with this...

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Picked up mine today at ATT around lunch. Was happy to find they had several Continum Docks in stock but I didn't pick on up as I still cannot find a use case for it. To each his own I guess.

Liking the device so far but man, is it hard to say its worth the $630 price tag (after tax and such) Seems not too much different in the hand as compared to my sons L640. I know the differences are on the inside but still, its tough to say this device should cost that much when it has such an up hill struggle to go. Anyways, things are working well. Still having issues restoring from backup as the apps are slow to download and install but the list was over 120+ apps at the beginning. I like the idea of hello but still not working 100% of the time..... May need more training. I'm going to hold off more impressions on the unit until everything is installed and updated. Still stoked to have a new fresh windows phone on my desk. Happy Happy

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I tried that but will try again. Ty.

Maybe it's because I have no case yet. Or maybe I got a demo unit since my local AT&T store sold me one. Buy I'm likely just over thinking, seems to be running quite hot even when not used for long periods.

nightsurf

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Arrived and setup today. Very good first impression. Other 30 apps installed, all working well. No bugs so far.
Tested Bluetooth - Car, Wireless headphones, Microsoft WiFi Foldable keyboard, Microsoft WiFi Sculp mouse and MS wireless display adapter - used continuum - Excel, work, powerpoint, news - Love that feature. Setup 30 plus core apps, Twitter, Expedia, Facebook, Instagram beta, Work and personal(MS Outlook) email profiles. Camera, onedrive, Iris authentication is accurate and fast, netflix, amazon, plex, vimeo, iheart, groove music, maps, cortana, a few games - All good experiences. Battery - running it hard for 7hrs from 100%, now 35% (WiFi, BlueTooth). Tested Mobile HotSpot. Just need a good cover now, any recommendations? If you don't mind the Windows App situation, highly recommend.

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Arrived and setup today. Very good first impression. Other 30 apps installed, all working well. No bugs so far.
Tested Bluetooth - Car, Wireless headphones, Microsoft WiFi Foldable keyboard, Microsoft WiFi Sculp mouse and MS wireless display adapter - used continuum - Excel, work, powerpoint, news - Love that feature. Setup 30 plus core apps, Twitter, Expedia, Facebook, Instagram beta, Work and personal(MS Outlook) email profiles. Camera, onedrive, Iris authentication is accurate and fast, netflix, amazon, plex, vimeo, iheart, groove music, maps, cortana, a few games - All good experiences. Battery - running it hard for 7hrs from 100%, now 35% (WiFi, BlueTooth). Tested Mobile HotSpot. Just need a good cover now, any recommendations? If you don't mind the Windows App situation, highly recommend.

Is your phone hot/warm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05