[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s and the 950. The 950 to me is nice in the hand, very light with a sharp screen. Picture quality is excellent and highly detailed, I took a pic of a soda bottle and you could see the condensation on it, very impressed! The screen makes all the apps in dark mode look plush and liquidy, is that a word? Phone is fast and IMO, feels like a quality device. Now the bad, had to turn off windows hello as it was draining battery and causing bugginess to phone. Screen is a tad too sensitive, speaker is ok but kinda muddled. W10 mobile is definitely a work in progress but at this point very, very close to being finished and over all 97% complete. MS is probably another update away to completion. I brought up the iPhone because W10 mobile reminds me of the current ios so much. Anyway, a great phone. Highly recommended!

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Camera setting. Are you guys using jpg only or jpg + dng for the main camera setting? Don't remember what I had set before on my previous windows phone

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Correct. Both sync up fine and work fine. As well, the 950 also becomes a touchpad and keyboard. Couple of options. I am still blown away by how well it works.

So what works better, the Nokia or the Microsoft mircast device or the new dock for the phone? Will all this work with phones other than the 950 /950XL if they are running Windows Mobile 10?

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love this phone. To me it doesn't feel cheap at all. Screen is amazing. It is speedy. Camera is top-notch. Love having Qi again! So much so, I bought a JBL Power up speaker on eBay for $50, totally worth it! I don't miss my 1520 at all. I am very happy having a smaller screen again 5.2" is perfect. I will be buying my wife one for X-Mas to get her off the lousy 830. Black Leather Mozo back cover for me, white for her. I have to say as of right now. It is better than my beloved 920.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
@dalydose In regards to #8. What do you mean wireless continuum isn't here? It isn't a good experience or it isn't working? For me, not only is it working, but I am blown away by how well it does work. Roku is a little laggy, but my MS wireless display adapter works great. Really great, actually.
Well, I listened to the ill informed rep at the MICROSOFT STORE who told me that it does not and can not currently work. Interestingly, it recognized my Roku and worked when I got home. He was so confident that it didn't work that he interrupted my question to just shoot down the idea. Sad that this was at the Microsoft Store.

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It may be a small and silly thing, but I'm loving "Hello Cortana" on my 950. I found it annoying on the desktop (kept thinking I was calling to it, and suddenly browser windows would open to weird requests). But on the phone? Awesome.

For example... Heading to bed, pulling back the covers, settling in, etc. Phone is on the wireless charger on my night stand. "Hey Cortana! Wake me up at 6:00." Alarm set and ready to go. In the morning, when the alarm goes off, "Hey Cortana! Turn off alarm." Done. "Hey Cortana! What's on my schedule for today?" As she lists off my appointments, I'm getting up, turning on the shower, etc. A few minutes later, I'm at the sink finishing shaving and preparing to get dressed. "Hey Cortana! What's the weather like today?" Now I know what to pull from my closet. "Hey Cortana! Remind me to send an email to Bill when I get to the office." As I pull into the parking lot, the reminder pops up.

All that goodness without touching the phone. Love it. My daughter thought it was cool and tried it out herself. "Hey Cortana! Tell me a joke." Nothing. Silence. Cortana doesn't recognize my daughter's voice.

I know, I know... Other platforms do this as well. And I never thought I'd talk to my devices. But I'm actually kind of getting into the groove of it. (Now if only I could find out what Cortana is supposed to do on my Band 2. Why is it even there?)

wilfredo_lagares

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well..well...

This is interesting...Even the Microsoft store nor the AT&T where ready for the 950 launch on the 20th in Puerto Rico...I was able to make the purchase via web been assisted by a AT&T customer rep who kindly located me the ONLY AT&T store in Puerto Rico with the device available after spent my whole morning calling different AT&T offices.

The Microsoft store will not have it until Black Friday!!! WHAT A HECK!!!!

For me the device its awesome...behaves & performs great...my only pending stuff to sets is the Cortana speech recognition...all other stuff its done.

Nice good looking device...not to big or heavier. Just Perfect.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well..well...

This is interesting...Even the Microsoft store nor the AT&T where ready for the 950 launch on the 20th in Puerto Rico...I was able to make the purchase via web been assisted by a AT&T customer rep who kindly located me the ONLY AT&T store in Puerto Rico with the device available after spent my whole morning calling different AT&T offices.

The Microsoft store will not have it until Black Friday!!! WHAT A HECK!!!!

For me the device its awesome...behaves & performs great...my only pending stuff to sets is the Cortana speech recognition...all other stuff its done.

Nice good looking device...not to big or heavier. Just Perfect.

The store I went to here in Miami didn't have the display setup or have it ready. The sales person was very reluctant to even get it for me. He first told me they didn't have it...I said are you sure? Go check. He did, he came back and said "The display won't be setup for a other hour." I asked again "Well, do you have the phone?" His reply "Yeah, only in black" I said "well I'd like it." He goes back gets the phone, opens it up...and the damn thing is white! Totally lied to me. It looked good by the way, black is wayyy better. AT&T needs some education...or MS needs to push these damn things more. Or it will be lights out for sure. This could be my last Lumia. I don't want that.

David Fournier

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I visited the AT&T store at the local mall this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the sales staff. Although they didn't have any of the Lumia 950's in stock, they did have one on display. They said they were surprised they didn't have them in yet and expected them any day. The salesperson was actually excited about the phone and said he is planning on buying one to replace his iPhone. He had been to the training and was impressed by Continuum and the camera.

tanders04#WN

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I went to check it out this weekend and one of the reps was just getting the display set up. She said it should be a couple of minutes so my wife and I walked around the store a bit. There didn't seem to be much movement on the display and my wife was getting noticeably bored so we left. The rep that was setting up the display followed us out and said that she had the phones ready to go and was just waiting for me! Went back inside, played with it a bit, fell in love.

My wife and I went out for some drinks, talked pros and cons of me getting it, and I went back and bought it. Couldn't be happier, love the phone!

brabso

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s and the 950. The 950 to me is nice in the hand, very light with a sharp screen. Picture quality is excellent and highly detailed, I took a pic of a soda bottle and you could see the condensation on it, very impressed! The screen makes all the apps in dark mode look plush and liquidy, is that a word? Phone is fast and IMO, feels like a quality device. Now the bad, had to turn off windows hello as it was draining battery and causing bugginess to phone. Screen is a tad too sensitive, speaker is ok but kinda muddled. W10 mobile is definitely a work in progress but at this point very, very close to being finished and over all 97% complete. MS is probably another update away to completion. I brought up the iPhone because W10 mobile reminds me of the current ios so much. Anyway, a great phone. Highly recommended!

Can you please tell me which of this phones you prefer and why?
I'm considering the Lumia 950 but otherwise it will be the iphone 6s, i absolutely don't want android.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, I listened to the ill informed rep at the MICROSOFT STORE who told me that it does not and can not currently work. Interestingly, it recognized my Roku and worked when I got home. He was so confident that it didn't work that he interrupted my question to just shoot down the idea. Sad that this was at the Microsoft Store.
I had a recent experience with a MS Store rep telling me that Xbox Store and Microsoft Store cards are different and the MS Store card does not fund the Xbox Store card. That was this year and in the last few months. :(

I take anything from a sales rep with a grain of salt until I can verify it.

I still chuckle/cringe when I recall overhearing a Best Buy rep telling a customer that if they bought PC "X" they would never need to buy another PC in their lifetime. That was during the P4 era.

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So what works better, the Nokia or the Microsoft mircast device or the new dock for the phone? Will all this work with phones other than the 950 /950XL if they are running Windows Mobile 10?

The dock will work better no matter what. I can't speak to any other Miracast receiver other than my Roku, TV and MS adapter. The Roku and TV aren't a horrible experience by any means, but the MS adapter is quite a bit better. Very little to no lag when sitting about 10' away from the adapter.

As you can imagine, it puts a pretty heavy drain on the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05