04-23-2017 11:02 PM
183 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not so sure about your keyboard complaint, Microsoft has a foldable Bluetooth keyboard that seems like it was made specifically for continuum and these phones, it came out a couple months ago, it can slide right into your back pocket

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=jfH33LkL

I was thinking more in terms of their marketing approach
    11-19-2015 09:42 AM
    Sorry! No no no, it's still Instagram BETA. I was just saying these are not beta apps in that they don't lag behind the other OS versions. These are pretty and fast and feature-filled. (I get excited writing about tech. Apologies.)
    11-19-2015 09:48 AM
    I got mine yesterday. Still a bit choppy here and there, but certainly usable.
    The screen is just amazeballs! I've used Hulu, Netflix, and Plex, and everything looks great. Upscaling works well. I pulled up an episode of Stargate Universe and it filled the screen and was amazingly sharp.

Local Scout has been stripped and moved to a submenu of individual components. LS was always one of my favorite features as I frequently find myslef in unfamiliar territory when hunger strikes.

I don't know if this is AT&T hamstringing the device or not, but I can't find the FM Radio. My 830 running DP 10 still has an FM Radio app, but I've not found any way to access it on the 950.

Wireless charging seems to work with my old DT-900 plate, but no idea yet on how fast the charge rate is.

I like the dark theme for email lists, but wish you could do the same within actual emails instead of jumping to a white screen.

I've had to do teh unistall/reboot/reinstall dance on several apps to get them working. Netflix, Plex, etc.

TeamViewer works well.

The camera takes great pictures, but I haven't had time to set up a structured comparison to my 1020.

Unlock PIN setup was interesting in that it referenced that PIN would also be used to "access apps", I'm just not sure what to make of that yet.

lumia-950.jpg
    aximtreo, libra89 and el_mono70 like this.
    11-19-2015 09:52 AM
    I was thinking more in terms of their marketing approach
    Well on that note Microsoft ABSOLUTELY SUCKS, they are one of the worst billion dollar marketing companies out. That is just fact. Always mixed messages and never consistent. That's the one thing that totally baffles me about the company
    11-19-2015 10:02 AM
    Since you have recorded video, can you please verify that it doesn't record mono (OneDrive app --> find the video file --> check properties)? How many channels does it say for audio? I need to settle a hypothetical bet and this is driving me crazy to know!

Also, have you uploaded video somewhere? I am very curious about its capabilities compared to the Icon I have.
    jmajid likes this.
    11-19-2015 10:07 AM
    One day in here it is.

1. Design. Underwhelming but acceptable. The snap on back and large bezels make this feel like a low end Lumia. Actually feels less premium than the 830 and thats saying something. The phone is thin, but still too large for a 5.2" phone. I was hoping something sized like my second gen Moto X. This is bigger.
    Sadly, I have to agree. It looks good from afar, but the moment you pick it up the phone feels underwhelming. Maybe it's the texture because my Lumia 920 was polycarbonate and it felt nice. On the other hand, it feels comfortable to hold and I don't feel like it's going to slip out of my grip.

I'm looking forward to replacement shells, but the ones that have been announced from Mozo are awfully pricey. And I'd like an option other than leather.
    11-19-2015 10:59 AM
    Guys... I understand we are excited about the new phones... However, a Review should probably have more time than just a few hours of use behind it.

Remember we do have a thread for first impressions: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...mia-950-a.html
    11-19-2015 11:28 AM
    Oh, and the iris scanner is great.
    Random question: do you wear glasses? Does it work with glasses? I know someone who said that with glasses on they can't really get it to work. If that's the case, it becomes useless to me. Or at least a pain to have to lift up or remove my glasses to unlock it. Might as well use a PIN if it won't work with glasses on.
    11-19-2015 12:35 PM
    Random question: do you wear glasses? Does it work with glasses? I know someone who said that with glasses on they can't really get it to work. If that's the case, it becomes useless to me. Or at least a pain to have to lift up or remove my glasses to unlock it. Might as well use a PIN if it won't work with glasses on.
    Sunglasses are a no go. Nighttime darkness is also a no go, which is weird because I thought it was IR. I'll to borrow some lenses for regular glasses test.
    jdballard likes this.
    11-19-2015 12:41 PM
    You have to run setup without glasses once, but after that it gives you the option to "Improve Recognition". That is the point where you can set it up to recognize you with glasses on. The more you do it, the better it gets.
    inffy, RumoredNow, hiya15 and 3 others like this.
    11-19-2015 12:53 PM
    I can't find the FM Radio. My 830 running DP 10 still has an FM Radio app, but I've not found any way to access it on the 950.
    I'm pretty sure that's one of the other minor differences between the 950 and the 950 XL, they omitted the FM radio with the 950. Why? Who knows.
    11-19-2015 01:07 PM
    I'm pretty sure that's one of the other minor differences between the 950 and the 950 XL, they omitted the FM radio with the 950. Why? Who knows.
    According to MS's site, the 950 has an FM radio. Scroll down to the audio section:

Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 - Microsoft Store

I can't confirm this, as I won't have my 950 until tomorrow night, and I know MS's site doesn't have the most reliable info. But they say it's there.
    11-19-2015 01:39 PM
    According to MS's site, the 950 has an FM radio. Scroll down to the audio section:

Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 - Microsoft Store.
    Hmm, I could have sworn that wasn't there before. Let's hope it's true. That's one less reason for me to go for the 950 XL then. :)
    11-19-2015 02:21 PM
    It recognized me in a dark room; it wasn't pitch black, but it was definitely dark.
    libra89, RumoredNow and Stocklone like this.
    11-19-2015 02:35 PM
    It recognized me in a dark room; it wasn't pitch black, but it was definitely dark.
    It should, it uses infrared which will work in complete darkness.
    11-19-2015 02:47 PM
    Hmm, I could have sworn that wasn't there before. Let's hope it's true. That's one less reason for me to go for the 950 XL then. :)
    All of my research has pointed to both phones having fm radios.
    11-19-2015 02:48 PM
    [HR][/HR]I have a standard AT&T 950 in black.

The build quality is mostly fine. I'm itching to replace the plastic back cover with a Mozo or something, but it'll suffice. The thing is when you tap it where it attaches... I don't know I might be crazy, but it kinda reminds me of plastic tupperware.

The screen is stunning, bright and crisp. USB 3.1 is fantastic with my Skylake PC. And can we get an Amen for removable battery?

The OS is a little choppy still compared to the uber-slick 8.1, but it more than makes up for it with the overall new look. The icons... The menus... AND ACTIONABLE NOTIFICATIONS. My goodness, they're worth their weight in gold.

There are APPS!!! AND THEY WORK! Facebook... Instagram... UBER! These aren't betas anymore. They are glorious and beautiful first-party apps catered to the WP10 interface. Windows Phone is back in the game, baby. I love the new maps app. Much like HERE Maps and Drive, Microsoft once again has the best navigation system on earth. It's crazy intuitive and a little too smart (taking my old routes and favorites from my 920). Groove Music is spectacular. Outlook is great and trust me, I've HATED IT all during the Insider program. But it's good now. Real good and real usable.

Windows Hello is going to be a showstopping, killer, tell-your-friends feature. My roommate was blown away. Hey Cortana is similarly a wonder as it combines the always-on cleverness of Google Now with... well, with Cortana, which was already the most accurate AI assistant.

The bad...

Windows Camera has a long way to go. Going to your Collection (formerly Gallery) from the Camera app is a nightmare and a half. Bugs and glitches and missing files galore. The Photos app is much better, but the refresh time can be frustrating after taking a new 1080p60 or 4K video or photo burst. It has more to it, but it doesn't FEEL as good as 8.1. Overall, the Camera and photo functions are just not very good, even if the pictures (including low-light) are pretty. Microsoft needs to up their game FAST in this area.

Microsoft Edge is just... not up to par yet. It's clumsy with render certain sites (yup, Windows Central too). I can't use WordFlow typing? The tab screen leaves a lot desired as far as navigation. Not intuitive, but I'm used to it by now.

Finally, the combination of pivots and hamburger menus creates issues with swipe registration. I'll want to yank a pivot up and get a hamburger or vice versa. It's annoying periodically, but fairly rare after a few hours. Good news is that I don't miss the hardware buttons and the haptic, on-screen versions are great and don't get in the way.

That's my knee-jerk review. Hit me with specific questions.
    Very Very well written and honest review ( not to mention the1st) ......I so needed to hear encouraging words. I was aiming for the 950 XL 5.7 ( Size Queen) ha ha ha ... But" I have changed my plea to Guilty" ( MOZ quote) for the 950 and you sir have made the bitter pill sweet!!!! Long live 950!!!!!

Weird mood Family

(Damn you AT&T !!!! ) (" Damn Damn Damn" Florida Evans Voice)Good times for you kids
    Tamer81 and dgrn23 like this.
    11-19-2015 04:21 PM
    All of my research has pointed to both phones having fm radios.
    No FM radio on my 950
    11-19-2015 04:24 PM
    It would help if this had double tap to wake (a glaring mistake to leave out)
    wait no double tap to wake?
    WTH MS?
    uFlock and Achike Da like this.
    11-19-2015 10:29 PM
    Any grounds or just being incendiary?

Nice avatar. Mr freaking meeseeks!! Lol.
    11-20-2015 12:35 AM
    Nice avatar. Mr freaking meeseeks!! Lol.
    Rick and Morty rule! I love Dan Harmon's stuff.
    11-20-2015 01:16 AM
    Well on that note Microsoft ABSOLUTELY SUCKS, they are one of the worst billion dollar marketing companies out. That is just fact. Always mixed messages and never consistent. That's the one thing that totally baffles me about the company
    I curious as to whether they use in-house marketing or an outside company. Either way, they need to change how their advertising and marketing is done.

It appears to me MS assumes we know that their products are great so why make any effort to shout it out. You know what happens MS when you assume something!
    libra89 and triageatdawn like this.
    11-20-2015 07:33 AM
    I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

I love the vibrant screen colors! Everything is so warm and inviting! It is crystal clear and so smooth.

I love the look of this phone. I thought it was a little small next to my Lumia 640xl. I didnt think there would be such a big difference between 5.2 and 5.7 screens.

I am not an apps person, I like to download and poke around them, but I am not an APP *****. Most of these folks that complain about the app situation are very silly to me! This stuff is not that darn serious. Who really needs 50 versions of a chat app???? Who needs 50 versions of a calculator? The problem I have with so called windows phone fans is the lack of pride and back bone! Instead of worrying about developers bringing the same apps over to WP, the users should be taking advantage of the tools microsoft has made available to create apps. We need to be creating the apps we want to see and better than ever. There is help out there if you need it. I dont want to see the same darn apps across every platform. I want my windows phone with apps no one else has! That's why I keep buying windows phones! A lot of people do not have them. But the reaction I get when people see them is wonderful. It makes me feel good.

The iris scanner is fabulous and works in the damn dark too! My coworkers volunteered to be my guinea pigs as I demonstrated this Iris scanner for them. They were amazed! They loved it!

My one thing I dont like is the Heat. The phone gets hot if you try to use it on a charger and after a long time using it. My 640 never got hot! ever! This phone got so hot, if I had an STD, I could smoke the crabs out of my crotch! And probably snack on them too if I had some old bay seasoning. But then I realized thats the genius of microsoft. They not only nourish my technological needs , but my physical needs too! Microsoft knows I need to eat. I now have a phone and a crab smoker! Now how darn cool is that!!?
    Bjfcm, libra89, dharmababa and 8 others like this.
    11-20-2015 10:58 PM
    It's only been one day, but I've had none of the issues reported elsewhere.

Basically, I'm loving everything about this phone.
    libra89, dharmababa and editguy like this.
    11-20-2015 11:55 PM
    I just got my 950 yesterday. I have to say that all of the bugs that were causing me problems on my 640 are still there. Apps fail to start and crash more than they should (I'm looking at you, messaging). Edge still likes to show the auto-complete list from the address bar after you have already selected something. I'm willing to put up with most of these problems, but I can't imagine trying to convince an iOS or Android user to switch. It was hard enough when the app gap was the only problem. Hopefully most of this gets fixed in the near future.

The one thing that blew me away was Continuum. I have the wireless display adapter, and the lag was lower than I have experienced when screen mirroring on my other devices. I don't know that I'll ever use it, but Continuum is definitely cool.
    11-21-2015 04:11 PM
183 1234 ...