04-24-2017 12:02 AM
183 ... 45678
tools
    before we get started I gotta get this out of the way..

Dear Microsoft,

You need to remove your head from your rectum. You have totally screwed yourself over when you abandoned Windows Mobile in favor of that TURD known as Windows Phone 7 where one had no expandable storage and there was no way to run what could have been arguably called the world's largest app library (Windows CE apps) When you announced in 2010 that you were ceasing development of WM, you shot yourself in the foot as everyone turned to Android... Tell me how did that work out for you? To date you STILL have not fixed what made WM 6.5 and earlier so great

My impression of the 950

Pros
    It is fast
    The screen is amazing.. text is razor sharp and color reproduction is very, very good. Pixel density is so high you cannot see individual ones
    The iris scanner is slick, but you will have to run the tool several times to get best results.
    Windows Mobile is a nice improvement over WP 8.1x.
    The integration with the desktop is nice and is progressing nicely
    Removable Battery.

Cons
    It feels cheap in your hand compared to previous Lumia devices like the 800
    Locating spare batteries is going to be a PITA

Windows 10 is extremely responsive on this device and there is absolutely no screen lag when scrolling. Apps load quickly and are very fast when using them. MS seems to be working very hard to get the OS to be better with each release. Windows 10 has corrected almost every single shortcoming of WP 7 and vastly improved on WP 8.1X which was good in of its self.

Apps load very fast and are extremely responsive.

Windows Hello; I love it. Just look at the phone even when wearing shades and the device unlocks it is a tad bit slow but it is in beta (for a beta app it runs very well)

Call quality is on par with every other Lumia device I have had in the past.

Build quality. while this device feels like a mid range device, it appears to be built like the Lumia 810/20 was and if my experience with my 810 is any indication, I should be able to use this device for the next 3+ years. The device is very light for it's size and feels comfortable in the hand. The device is the same size as a Lumia 830

Migration from a previous device to this device.

Migration was extremely painless I just logged into my new phone and it downloaded and setup my phone just like it was on my Lumia 830. The OS settings and application settings (for apps that support that) moved over without incident.

Network performance

LTE is OK and I have no issues watching full HD even when I am out in the sticks where I average about 20Mbits/sec When I am in the twin cities, the speed is about triple that.

WiFi performance is on par with the rest of the devices in my house in terms of download speeds roughly 50Mbps

Bluetooth has outstanding range on this phone. I have a Banana Boat BT speaker that I use in the bathroom and a Motorola Roaster 2 and both devices can maintain connection out to about 60 Ft from the phone
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-01-2016 06:43 AM
    ill share my review but it'll be a four post review
    Review for the Microsoft Lumia 950 (part 1)
    Context: I figure I give some context before I start my review. I have come from the Nokia Lumia 810 and the Nokia Lumia 830. Those have been my main devices through the years. As you can tell I have been using windows phone since windows phone 8 but I have used iOS before I got my Lumia 810. I still use my iPod to this day. I am considered to be a medium user and as you can tell with my pervious devices I am a mid-range user so the 950 is overkill for me I dont play any games on my phone but I do listen to music. Ive always considered the 810 to be the best windows phone to date, there was something about the 810 that made me want to come back . With that being said now you know my background on phones and what led me to the 950

Intro:
    I have always been a midrange phone user, I never really needed the high end specs of flagship phones. While using the 830 as my daily driver I have always missed my 810 because the 830 felt like I had to baby it around since it had an aluminum side and fear it would dent. When the 950 came out it looked so much like my 810, and when some reviews came out, some mentioned that it looked like the 810. I knew I wasnt going to buy it any time soon but I had it in the back of my head that I was going to get the 950. Fast forward to April and something great happened. Microsoft was having a buy one 950 XL get one 950 free. At that moment I knew I was going to get the 950! When it came to my house I unboxed it and set it up. I used it for about 2 weeks putting it thought its paces to see if it really was like the 810 in the sense that it makes me want to come back to it. Will it pass my test or will it just be another Meh phone?
    Last edited by sahib lopez; 05-14-2016 at 01:44 AM.
    05-13-2016 07:34 PM
    Part 2
    Hardware and specs:
    The device feels sturdy in the hand, the type that you know doesn’t need a case. It has a hard soft plastic feel in the hand. The back cover is removable and upon close inspection the back edges have a slight curvature that molds to the hard stair edges of the 950. It feels like it contours to my hands. Supports Qi and PMA wireless changing. It’s not heavy at all in fact it’s the same weight as my 830 weighing in at 5.29 ounces. Now to move on my favorite part of the phone the screen. One thing that I have missed about my 810 was the AMOLED panel. I don’t mind LCD but with windows phone the deep blacks make windows phone pop. The ppi for this is at 564 compare that to the 217 on the 810 and 294 on the 830. To me that a lot of pixels but I don’t really care since I was fine with the 810 ppi. That being the text is sharp and can easily read it and I can see this screen in the northern California sun. There is a red tint when the room is dark. It’s great under normal circumstances but its only noticeable when the lights turn off and you can see it. The rest of the specs is as follows
    Camera: 20 megapixel f 1.9 tri color flash
    Storage: 32 GB (29 GB usable) expandable using SD card
    Ram: 3GB
    Battery: 3,000 mAh battery
    SoC: snapdragon 808
    Connections: USB Type-C
    There is a cool thing in my opinion that I enjoy using. That is the Iris scanning infra-red camera that signs you in into the phone. While it doesn’t work 100% of the time it works for me 98%. It even works in the dark, how cool is that!

OS and daily usage:
    on my 950 I am currently on build 10.0.10586.318 but at this time of the review I was on 10.0.10586.242. My day starts at 5 am everyday Monday through Thursday and ends at 4 pm. I go to school so as a student being connected is necessary considering the emails and texts and phone calls and occasional music playing. Windows 10 works with my college with setting up with exchange. So that’s a good sign. I have location setting on, cellular data on, Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth on, automatic brightness on, email is set to sync when things arrive. With that being said Battery life is awesome and lasts me through the whole day no problems
    wp_ss_20160509_0002.jpgwp_ss_20160509_0004.jpgwp_ss_20160510_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160510_0002.jpg . I also have my Microsoft band connected on me. Texts come through and notifications show up. The band works fine on it. On a side note I was weary that the 950 would not be able to connect to T-Mobiles’ band 12. I went to ##3282## and to my eyes the EARFCN read: 5035 so I am glad it runs on T-Mobile native network. Don’t ask me if it has WI-FI calling that horse has been beat to death so much it still feels it in its death. It does get hot from time to time and I can feel it when I am jumping to Tapatalk to other apps. Maybe its tapatalk but I am not going to “hard reset my phone” that is whack to do that when it’s just one app. I font experience any lag or stutter. No apps crash on me and everything is responsive. There is one thing that people fail to mention is the sound quality with headphones while listing to music. I listen to music from my commute from where I live to my college. It’s a 45 min commute so music is a big part of my day. I still use my iPod touch 4th gen to listen to music. Comparing it to my iPod 4th gen the iPod blows the 950 out of the water when it comes to listening to music through headphones. It came out in 2010, that’s 6 years and MSFT still can’t make a phone that produces good sounding audio?! Don’t even get me started on how behind MSFT is against the 5th gen. other than that, that’s my only complaint.
    anon(9603734) and Jonathanmr7 like this.
    05-13-2016 07:40 PM
    part 3
    Camera: I enjoyed using the 830 as a main shooter though I was never found of the single LED flash. Luckily the 950 comes with a triple LED flash colors are pink (or magenta) cyan, and yellow. The camera is an upgrade from the 830 in the sense that it’s faster at taking pictures. Also I like the fact that it comes with stereo rich captures mics that still wows me every time. Thought one thing I noticed is that colors on pictures tend to be on the cooler side but I think that’s on images that has pink or magenta colors. I would post pictures but there is a whole thread dedicated to pictures ;)

Performance: first and for most I do not like benchmarking phones because it doesn’t tell you the whole story about a phone. It only tells how it compares to other phones. For the people who do like benchmarks here you go. wp_ss_20160513_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160513_0002.jpgwp_ss_20160513_0003.jpg
    anon(9603734) likes this.
    05-13-2016 07:46 PM
    Part 4
    Conclusion: considering that it fits my needs (although overkill) and feels just like my 810, seriously it does, it is priced way too much at launch. If it was priced around 400$ I think it would be a great buy but for 540ish$ I wouldn’t of have bought it. Sure it has great features and works like another other smartphone, I think Microsoft missed its chance with the 950. In my opinion if you are coming from a X20 phone, I think it’s a great phone and a definite buy. If you are coming from a X30 phone that would depend, anything under the 830 yeah I think about the 950 anything over the 830 and I would hold off from upgrading. As for me this is the phone I was waiting for and MSFT did say it was for the fans and I’m happy with the 950. I’ll call it the 810 v2. Ill wrap it up with my pros and cons
    Pros:
    • runs windows mobile 10 great
    • removable battery / SD expansion
    • lasts me a whole day
    • great camera
    • charges really fast

Cons
    • Expensive
    • Audio quality though headphones can’t compare to apple
    • Gets a bit hot under heavy loads
    • Only comes in white and black
    05-13-2016 07:48 PM
    The 950 is my first mobile Windows device, so here's my take on it (I've previously been using Apple iPhone 3g+5s, various Android devices, Nokia N9 with Meego Harmattan, BlackBerry Z10, etc).

Short version: Camera sucks, Continuum rocks, everything else is quite okay.

Long version:

Let's start with some positive remarks:
    • Continuum is an awsome feature. I wouldn't do without it anymore. My work simply does not allow me to do private surfing, etc, on my work computer, but they have no policy against using a phone as a computer. I previously used an iPad Mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, but it didn't work that well with a keyboard and it had no mouse support.
    • Mouse, keyboard and USB OTG support.
    • Windows 10 Mobile applications look nice. Like a mix of Android and BlackBerry 10.
    • USB-C is much nicer than the old Micro USB.
    • Battery life is better than expected.
    • I finally found out how to set up a PPTP VPN, and it works.
    • A bit less restrictive than iOS. I can for example download a zip file with music files and unpack it to the SD card, and then later listen to those files using a music player of my choice. That simply isn't possible in iOS.
    • I haven't used wireless charging, but I guess it could be a nice feature on cafs and such.
    • Most applications can be installed on the SD card, without feeling laggy. This is a great way to expand storage.
    • The bottom row can be hidden with a swipe in Windows 10 Mobile applications.
    • The hardware build quality isn't that bad. I do not agree with people saying it feels cheap. To me, it's quite solid. At least it won't shatter like phones made out of metal.
    • Iris scanner is nice when it works. See the bad part too.
    • Call quality is extremely good (the best I've ever experienced).
    • The speakers are decent, but I tend not to enforce my music taste onto other people.
    • The dialer is awsome, since one can use the "letters on the numbers" to quick dial. E.g. start typing 466453 to call Google ( :P ) (3 = def, 4 = ghi, 5 = jkl, 6 = mno).
    • Glance screen is very nice and much more useful than e.g. notification LED:s. I really missed this from the Nokia N9 (but it works better in W10M where it much more configurable).
    • UWP applications with Continuum support is really the future of mobile computing (forget x86 on a phone - ARM is still cheaper, less power hungry and brings much more competition to the market - i.e. is better for consumers). It's going to be interesting to see Google's solution (and whether or not Apple catches onto the idea).

The bad:
    The camera sucks b***s in real world use. None of the reviews I've read use the camera the way I and many others use (the iPhone is still unbeatable in my humble opinion).
    • The automatic white balance is waaaay off. The videos and images are too warm 95% of the time, and it doesn't look well. Trying to fix the images after shooting them isn't what I want from a camera in 2016.
    • It cannot handle moving objects that well, and it has no continous burst mode like the iPhone, so capturing that special moment is really difficult (try using the 950 for photographing animals and children then you'll understand).
    • Image filtering at high ISO values causes so much detail reduction that they could almost have removed the low light support altogether. It doesn't look well.
    • Shooting video… OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.
    • No automatic refocusing when using the on screen focus ring.
    • Camera button seldom works right away (and yes, I know about the setting for stopping the camera to be accidentally lanched in e.g. the pocket).
    • The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).
    • Slow motion video is too low res. 480p? My iPhone 5s does 720p in 120 fps.

Other bad stuff:
    • Windows Phone applications look ugly, waste too much space with the large fonts and unused areas. They're also extremely unstable on the 950 (constant problems resuming applications). There's a reason why I never bought into the Windows Phone eco system.
    • Why can't I set the volume rockers to only control the playback audio, instead of both the playback and notification levels? The iPhone has it and it's great.
    • There's no good software for editing videos as far as I've seen.
    • Cortana isn't available in my region, so a lot of hyped features simply does not exist for me.
    • The image viewer in Windows 10 Mobile isn't the same as in Windows 10. It has far fewer editing options.
    • There's practically no bass in the analog audio output, but at least there's an equalizer so it can be partially rectified.
    • The Mozo cases with painted edges. I've only had mine for 2 months now and the colours are wearing off.
    • The iris scanner is basically useless when wearing glasses, lenses or being on the move. You really have to stand still to make it work. Entering a pin code is faster 9 out of 10 times.

Not directly related to the phone, but still relevant:
    • The image gallery in Windows 10 (not mobile) cannot playback the videos I shoot with this phone without crashing. What?!

Improvements that I'd like to see:
    • Windowed mode in Continuum.
    • Running non-uwp/continuum enabled applications in windows (in Continuum).
    • More correct colours in photos and videos.
    • Higher resolution slow motion videos.
    • Continous photo burst mode.
    • Remove the search button. Bing is quite useless in my region and Cortana isn't supported either.
    • When using the virtual touch pad, never show the virtual keyboard when a real keyboard is connected.
    • Allow the use of the virtual touch pad upside down. The USB cable is in the way for the arm to comfortably rest on the table.

Final remarks:
    Would I recommend the phone to other people? Depends. Are you often in need of photographing children and/or animals? Get an iPhone. Do you require the absolute latest and greatest applications ? Get an iPhone. Are you tired of iPhone/Android and wish to try something different? Get the Lumia 950. Do you want to partially replace your computer with your phone? Get the Lumia 950. Do you like iOS but think it's a bit too closed, but still want something more secure than Android? Get the Lumia 950.
    Last edited by Blomsternisse; 05-25-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    05-23-2016 02:54 AM
    Hi, I have had my 950 for almost 3 months now. I love it but I have a couple of problems which are:

1. HEAT: I realized that phone heats up. After testing and playing around I realized the reason behind the heat is the Facebook APP.. If I use Twitter APP or Instagram or YouTube via EDGE is doesn't heat up. I think the problem is with Facebook APP! I with they can make a better app. It's very slow and loading is terrible and uploading pics is terrible as well.

2. Battery is good. I always disconnect location and Bluetooth to avoid battery drain. Otherwise is goes through the day without charging.

3. Onedrive APP is slow comparing it to iPhone and Android. It opens faster on my iPhone. Which i see very strange. It's an Windows thing how can apple beat Lumia in this?

4. UBER APP sucks.. I always have issues with the map integration. UBER APP on iPhone and Android is 1000 times better in performance and looks. I really think they should find a solution for this issue.
    05-24-2016 03:57 AM
    The 950 is my first mobile Windows device, so here's my take on it (I've previously been using Apple iPhone 3g+5s, various Android devices, Nokia N9 with Meego Harmattan, BlackBerry Z10, etc).

Short version: Camera sucks, Continuum rocks, everything else is quite okay.

Long version:

Let's start with some positive remarks:
    • Continuum is an awsome feature. I wouldn't do without it anymore. My work simply does not allow me to do private surfing, etc, on my work computer, but they have no policy against using a phone as a computer. I previously used an iPad Mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, but it didn't work that well with a keyboard and it had no mouse support.
    • Mouse, keyboard and USB OTG support.
    • Windows 10 Mobile applications look nice. Like a mix of Android and BlackBerry 10.
    • USB-C is much nicer than the old Micro USB.
    • Battery life is better than expected.
    • I finally found out how to set up a PPTP VPN, and it works.
    • A bit less restrictive than iOS. I can for example download a zip file with music files and unpack it to the SD card, and then later listen to those files using a music player of my choice. That simply isn't possible in iOS.
    • I haven't used wireless charging, but I guess it could be a nice feature on cafs and such.
    • Most applications can be installed on the SD card, without feeling laggy. This is a great way to expand storage.
    • The bottom row can be hidden with a swipe in Windows 10 Mobile applications.
    • The hardware build quality isn't that bad. I do not agree with people saying it feels cheap. To me, it's quite solid. At least it won't shatter like phones made out of metal.
    • Iris scanner is nice when it works. See the bad part too.

The bad:
    The camera sucks b***s in real world use. None of the reviews I've read use the camera the way I and many others use (the iPhone is still unbeatable in my humble opinion).
    • The automatic white balance is waaaay off. The videos and images are too warm 95% of the time, and it doesn't look well. Trying to fix the images after shooting them isn't what I want from a camera in 2016.
    • It cannot handle moving objects that well, and it has no continous burst mode like the iPhone, so capturing that special moment is really difficult (try using the 950 for photographing animals and children then you'll understand).
    • Image filtering at high ISO values causes so much detail reduction that they could almost have removed the low light support altogether. It doesn't look well.
    • Shooting video… OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.
    • No automatic refocusing when using the on screen focus ring.
    • Camera button seldom works right away (and yes, I know about the setting for stopping the camera to be accidentally lanched in e.g. the pocket).
    • The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).
    • Slow motion video is too low res. 480p? My iPhone 5s does 720p in 120 fps.

Other bad stuff:
    • Windows Phone applications look ugly, waste too much space with the large fonts and unused areas. They're also extremely unstable on the 950 (constant problems resuming applications). There's a reason why I never bought into the Windows Phone eco system.
    • Why can't I set the volume rockers to only control the playback audio, instead of both the playback and notification levels? The iPhone has it and it's great.
    • There's no good software for editing videos as far as I've seen.
    • Cortana isn't available in my region, so a lot of hyped features simply does not exist for me.
    • The image viewer in Windows 10 Mobile isn't the same as in Windows 10. It has far fewer editing options.
    • There's practically no bass in the analog audio output, but at least there's an equalizer so it can be partially rectified.
    • The Mozo cases with painted edges. I've only had mine for 2 months now and the colours are wearing off.
    • The iris scanner is basically useless when wearing glasses, lenses or being on the move. You really have to stand still to make it work. Entering a pin code is faster 9 out of 10 times.

Not directly related to the phone, but still relevant:
    • The image gallery in Windows 10 (not mobile) cannot playback the videos I shoot with this phone without crashing. What?!

Improvements that I'd like to see:
    • Windowed mode in Continuum.
    • Running non-uwp/continuum enabled applications in windows (in Continuum).
    • More correct colours in photos and videos.
    • Higher resolution slow motion videos.
    • Continous photo burst mode.
    • Remove the search button. Bing is quite useless in my region and Cortana isn't supported either.
    • When using the virtual touch pad, never show the virtual keyboard when a real keyboard is connected.
    • Allow the use of the virtual touch pad upside down. The USB cable is in the way for the arm to comfortably rest on the table.

Final remarks:
    Would I recommend the phone to other people? Depends. Are you often in need of photographing children and/or animals? Get an iPhone. Do you require the absolute latest and greatest applications ? Get an iPhone. Are you tired of iPhone/Android and wish to try something different? Get the Lumia 950. Do you want to partially replace your computer with your phone? Get the Lumia 950. Do you like iOS but think it's a bit too closed, but still want something more secure than Android? Get the Lumia 950.

Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.
    Guytronic, jdballard and libra89 like this.
    05-24-2016 11:21 AM
    Are you a photographer? I ask because for most people the camera is amazing and perhaps a trained eye spots things an untrained eye can't? I personally think it's fantastic.

Shooting video OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.
    I have seen this happen as well. Also doesn't work well at a concert when the lights are constantly changing. It keeps trying to focus.

The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).
    Yeah, unfortunately I've had the camera crap out on me. Hardware? Software? Who knows, doesn't matter. It crashes too often.

I agree with a few of your other non-camera points as well.
    05-24-2016 02:21 PM
    Are you a photographer? I ask because for most people the camera is amazing and perhaps a trained eye spots things an untrained eye can't? I personally think it's fantastic.

I have seen this happen as well. Also doesn't work well at a concert when the lights are constantly changing. It keeps trying to focus.

Yeah, unfortunately I've had the camera crap out on me. Hardware? Software? Who knows, doesn't matter. It crashes too often.

I agree with a few of your other non-camera points as well.
    No, I'm not a photographer - I'm not even close to an amature photographer, but some things are so incredible easy to spot. A few things I mentioned already, but I'll try to be more specific (I only use automatic mode by the way) :

1. Automatic white balance isn't very good. The images tend to be too warm (lower colour temperature), which is a problem when I photograph one of my dogs who have similar colours to a Golden Retriever. His colours turn out to be almost neon orange when using the 950.

2. The focusing is poor even in good light, and it does not refocus unless you hammer the screen. Since the 950 camera has such a low f-number (very short depth of field), they should probably have equipped it with a laser based metering system like Samsung's Galaxy S7 (which happens to be very fast and accurate). I have no idea how iPhone does it algorithmically, but it does it better than the 950.

3. It might be a combination of too large images, slow (cheap?) internal flash storage and/or software, but a lot of times the camera just stalls/hangs with a text saying "Saving..." for 5-10 seconds. The iPhone spoiled me, since it has never ever happened on Apple's hardware.

4. I tend to photograph moving objects (mostly animals), which doesn't work very well when the focusing is poor (and the exposure is too long? I haven't looked at the exposure times). Apple's software seems to have a different strategy where it takes higher ISO numbers with shorter exposure times and heavier filtering, even in well lit situations. This leads to sharper looking images when there's a lot of movement (even though it's quite heavily filtered). Unlimited (well, except storage wise) continous burst shooting (10 fps) also helps a lot on the iPhone where the object is moving.

5. In the latest stable W10M release, the camera often starts up with "Resuming..." for a second or two. Not very nice.

Nonetheless, I still like the 950 and have great hopes for it. I'll carry it as long as possible. Android doesn't interest me anymore and iOS is a bit too limited for my taste after using W10M.
    05-25-2016 06:29 AM
    Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.
    Besides all the negativity concerning the camera, I still have a very positive stance towards the 950. :) It's easier to highlight the negative experiences than the positive ones. I'll try to add a few more positive ones.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-25-2016 06:41 AM
    Screen: Excellent
    Speed: Ok (its about as fast as an iPhone 6.)
    Camera: Excellent
    Build Quality: Ok
    Battery drain: Bad (upwards of 10% during use.)
    Other mentions: Hate the onscreen buttons, take up too much space.
    05-26-2016 05:00 PM
    its in extras>touch
    sahib lopez likes this.
    07-18-2016 12:42 AM
    Whenever I look at the Microsoft Lumia 950, it scans my eyes, winks at me and unlocks with the words "Hello, Matt" as if it knows me and wants to flirt. In a way, I feel like I recognize it, too. And, I won't lie, I kind of like it back just not that much.

It reminds me of my first true smartphone, the Audiovox SMT 5600, a rebranded HTC Typhoon, before HTC even sold phones. It was small, so it looked like an everyday phone and, importantly for me at the time, it ran Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Microsoft Lumia 950 reviewMore than a decade later, that's once again the appeal of the Lumia 950. It looks, feels and runs like your average-sized Android phone. Only the phone's operating system is Windows 10 Mobile, much to the benefit of Microsoft's diehard fans and PC holdouts.

Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 (32GB) at Amazon for $443.49
    This 5.2-inch phone does try a few interesting tricks so that it's not too basic. Its iris-scanning technology makes for a nifty unlock method and Continuum lets me scale the software to TV proportions for a useful desktop-like mode.

Lumia 950 lays the foundation for Windows 10 Mobile, and it's off to a better start, even if Lumia sales are dismal. I felt like that about the Audiovox SMT 5600, too, before the Redmond company blew it in mobile.

But now it's up against the best phones ever made, like the similarly-sized Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 6S, LG G4 and Nexus 5X. Does it really have what it takes to win converts from iOS and Android, or keep Windows Phone 8.1 users from defecting? Clearly, it's not that simple.
    My site: Tiny Tanks Tiny Planes Carracing Game Donkey Kong Unblocked
    07-22-2016 03:31 AM
    Have you used continuum on the 950 extensively? Is the processor fast enough to hand it or does it feel sluggish?
    08-04-2016 12:11 PM
    You forgot a couple of annoying issues:

When taking a couple of photos the phone heats up! Then it starts saving photos and that takes some time.
    When using Facebook or Twitter for a couple of minutes the phone heats up! Somehow annoying and frustrating!
    08-08-2016 04:18 AM
    I love Continuum. It's amazing. I replaced my Surface 3 with my 950. It's doing the job and I can't complain. I just have a couple of comments on attachments via OneDrive. Not as easy and takes some time. But it's not bad for a phone!
    08-08-2016 04:19 AM
    Just some thoughts after two weeks with my 950 (black version)

1. I complained about the design when the phone was presented. Although I still think it's not mind-blowing it doesnt look cheap in my hand. In times with things like golden IPhones the simple appearance of the phone begins to attract me. This lack of bling and the underlying "i'm made for productivity" is something i always liked about windows phone.

2. I simply love that the os is almost the same i know from my pc/Surface. All so familiar.

3. Just Windows 10 (mobil). It is a beauty.

4. Apps, i know. I get everything i need but i can understand the kids wanting the games and applications all their friends use (Pokemon Go etc.). I really hope the Universal App is something that gets more developers interested in Win 10.

5. Battery-life is good after some troble in the first time. I made a post in the appropriate thread.

6. Hello works pretty good (9/10) and i don't think using it in public is awkward. Is it out of beta with the anniversary update?

7. I wanted to stay with my (beloved) 920 for another year untill the Surface Phone. But wit the dramatically fallen prices i no longer could resist. For me it is a good buy at actual prices.

I recently bought a cheap Samsung tablet because i thought i was missing so many cool applications. Well, i found out that I hate Android and the Play Store is full of stuff I don't need. But of course some people will disagree, just fair.
    I so much hope windows will survive as a phone os, not only for business but for private users as well.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-14-2016 07:47 AM
    By the end of today, it will be one week officially since I have had a 950. I think I have had enough time to try things out and do a review.
    Anyway, let's go:

Short version:

-It feels nice in the hand. Not that big in comparison to the 640.
    -Cameras are very good. The "finishing touches" bit is kind of annoying.
    -My app experience is alright. It's not as poor, since I have most of what I use and it works well.
    -Battery life seems to be a 20-24 hour deal, I'll place it as above average.
    -What is bugginess? Not seeing any.
    -Iris scanner randomly works for me. 1 out of 8 times at the most, it's much faster to just use my PIN.

Long version.
    -The 950 feels great in the hand. Not as great as my iPhone SE, but it feels like it isn't huge to me like some of my previous Androids have been. If not huge, it felt tall. I spend a good amount of time under the hair dryer (in and out of the salon), and it was great that my hand did not get tired or feel strained from holding it. The back of this phone not being metal was great for me because I didn't feel like it was burning me as much. lol. It just felt slightly wider than my Lumia 640. I made a thread about that here, with pictures: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...rent-size.html

-The cameras (both of them) are pretty good. I have been mostly pleased with every picture I have taken on it. In my case, it's random pictures and selfies, here and there. I say mostly because I'm not a fan of the "finishing touches" thing. I don't use HDR, and I'm indifferent about all of that. I would like if there's a way that I can skip the finishing touches, better. I love the results I see in the lenses but it feels like it's slightly less nicer with the final picture?

-The grand question most people probably want to know is the apps. "How do I deal with the apps? Do I have all of them, etc.". In this week, for the first two days, I picked up my iPhone because I was missing Instagram Stories. To be honest, I am still kind of missing it, but not as much. Instagram is just fine on the 950 for me. Before doing this trial, I noted that there are 2 apps that are lacking/not the same on W10M that I actually use on a regular, pretty much daily basis. One of them is a social media app, and my solution has been to use Edge, which I'm missing the push notifications. The other one is a book app. It's here but so outdated. I use it to check out books, but I use Edge to read said books. That has been great. Everything else, I am good with substitutions or they work great.

-Battery life hasn't fully impressed me. It's not horrible, but it's just above average. It seems like I can use it for 20-24 hours before charging. I have had an oddball day when I have been able to charge it the day after the next. In my opinion, it gets scary hot when fast charging. When it charges slowly, I'm good. I generally slow charge most of the time at work or in the car. To be fair, it does have an estimated time of a day and 6 hours on a full charge. Just missing my iPhone battery life, but this is better than all of the Androids I have tried. I must note that there were 2 days when I have been installing updates.

-Haven't experienced much bugginess software wise. No issues really. Wow, I know, this is short. There really isn't much to say.

-The iris scanner is random. Maybe I need more practice with it but I feel like it takes too long to recognize me most of the time so I'm kind of preferring to just put in the PIN. I would say maybe one out of 8 times, it recognizes me. I do have to give it props for being able to work through my not as light prescription for my glasses though. Very cool, when it does work.

Notes:
    -I have had MMS issues that have been resolved thanks to the great patience of @Werentuckl with my particular model.
    -I do kind of fear burn-in though with this AMOLED screen.
    -I have had random display issues. Not frequent enough to be bothersome but they happen here and there. More so double tap to wake and the power button having a delayed response.

As for if I will keep it, I'm going to have to give it another week. I have really liked some phones I have tried after the first week, and by the second, I started to feel differently. My SE has been the only exception.

Edit: Decided to edit the text around to make it easier to understand. Added a tl;dr version at the top.
    Last edited by libra89; 08-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    08-15-2016 12:31 PM
    Not too bad. One other thing is maybe to disconnect messaging and skype. That should improve battery life.

Sent from mTalk
    08-16-2016 08:14 AM
    Sorry, no detailed review.
    Finally I got to the conclusion that the 950 is a piece of cr*p. The battery life is a joke. You had a year to fix it, Microsoft. Shame on you. Shame on you, Microsoft.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-26-2016 08:09 PM
    This is about as detailed as I can get. Not a power user. I've had the U.S. 950DS for a little over 2 weeks on T-Mobile running Anniversary Update.
    I don't play games on this phone. No use for Skype or any Office app. OneNote is all I use for a shopping list. Skype and Office apps uninstalled.
    The only apps running in the background are:
    Chronos Calendar+
    Email and accounts
    Gestures and touch
    MSN News
    Mail and Calendar
    MetoLens weather app
    Microsoft Messaging
    MyRadar Ad Free
    Network Services
    OneDrive
    OneNote
    Package Tracker (ITECTURE.consulting)
    Windows Alarms & Clock
    Windows Default Lock Screen
    Windows Maps
    Your account

I don't use Windows Hello recognition.

Display is really really nice.
    Phone is very responsive and pretty fast.
    Bluetooth connectivity was a breeze on my 2013 Focus ST with Microsoft SYNC (used for streaming Slacker Radio)
    Rear speaker is OK. Loud enough I can hear notifications/ringtone when in another room. Not as tinny as the 830 (also loud)
    Call quality is good. I can hear others on the other end well and they can hear me clearly. Not bad at all considering the phone
    doesn't use T-Mobile's HD Voice.
    The camera is VERY good and takes great detailed pictures. Very happy with the camera. I'm not experiencing the long 'finishing touches'
    I save all my photos to an SD card and can view them almost instantaneously. Love the camera.
    Battery life is very acceptable for me with my usage. Starting with a full charge at 6am the phone has never been below 70% at 4pm.
    My usage is generally light/moderate at work with acceptable LTE signal. No phone calls, 5-10 texts, one or two emails, glancing over several news
    stories via MSN News, DailyMail Online, Windows Central app, viewing some short videos via LiveLeak+ app, browsing thru Readit, Monocle Giraffe

Thus far I haven't encountered anything to make me dislike this phone. I'm happy with it at the moment.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2016 03:42 PM
    This is about as detailed as I can get. Not a power user. I've had the U.S. 950DS for a little over 2 weeks on T-Mobile running Anniversary Update.
    I don't play games on this phone. No use for Skype or any Office app. OneNote is all I use for a shopping list. Skype and Office apps uninstalled.
    The only apps running in the background are:
    Chronos Calendar+
    Email and accounts
    Gestures and touch
    MSN News
    Mail and Calendar
    MetoLens weather app
    Microsoft Messaging
    MyRadar Ad Free
    Network Services
    OneDrive
    OneNote
    Package Tracker (ITECTURE.consulting)
    Windows Alarms & Clock
    Windows Default Lock Screen
    Windows Maps
    Your account

I don't use Windows Hello recognition.

Display is really really nice.
    Phone is very responsive and pretty fast.
    Bluetooth connectivity was a breeze on my 2013 Focus ST with Microsoft SYNC (used for streaming Slacker Radio)
    Rear speaker is OK. Loud enough I can hear notifications/ringtone when in another room. Not as tinny as the 830 (also loud)
    Call quality is good. I can hear others on the other end well and they can hear me clearly. Not bad at all considering the phone
    doesn't use T-Mobile's HD Voice.
    The camera is VERY good and takes great detailed pictures. Very happy with the camera. I'm not experiencing the long 'finishing touches'
    I save all my photos to an SD card and can view them almost instantaneously. Love the camera.
    Battery life is very acceptable for me with my usage. Starting with a full charge at 6am the phone has never been below 70% at 4pm.
    My usage is generally light/moderate at work with acceptable LTE signal. No phone calls, 5-10 texts, one or two emails, glancing over several news
    stories via MSN News, DailyMail Online, Windows Central app, viewing some short videos via LiveLeak+ app, browsing thru Readit, Monocle Giraffe

Thus far I haven't encountered anything to make me dislike this phone. I'm happy with it at the moment.
    Nice! It sounds like you made a great choice in trying it out. I must ask, do you still use Slacker Radio? I noticed that you didn't list it, and I remember your issues with the audio quality(?) with just the Windows Mobile app.
    mark233 likes this.
    08-27-2016 10:06 PM
    Nice! It sounds like you made a great choice in trying it out. I must ask, do you still use Slacker Radio? I noticed that you didn't list it, and I remember your issues with the audio quality(?) with just the Windows Mobile app.
    Yes I've got Slacker Radio installed and I do stream it. Audio quality isn't as good as it is on my android and iPhone. ... it's tolerable tho.
    The Slacker Radio Windows Mobile app sorely lacks in options that are available on android and iphone. On android and iphone there's the options:
    Explicit Content --- on or off
    Prefetching --- on or off
    Volume Normalization --- on or off
    Audio Stream Quality --- 64 KBPS ... 128 KBPS ... 320 KBPS
    Mobile Network Refresh --- on or off

The Windows mobile app basically just has the Explicit Content --- on or off

But wow what a difference (to me) in the streaming audio quality (I prefer 320 KBPS). I much prefer streaming using either android or iphone. I'm sure Windows system defaults to 64 KBPS .... plus on Windows mobile there's definitely a difference in volume from one song to the next because of a lack of Volume Normalization option.

These are the options differences that stand out the most between the systems.

EDIT: Desktop app gives streaming quality option
    capture.png
    Last edited by mark233; 08-28-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:27 PM
    I picked up a white 950 recently, coming from a 640 and also a Note 4 for work. During the initial set up the phone was really hot and slow - store apps updates were tedious. I was worried!
    However, once the Anniversary build landed, installed, and all apps got fully updated its running totally cool to the touch. Battery life seems fine, its early days but the battery app I usually use as a guide tells me its using 1.5% per hour which isn't much. (One thing I will not put on any phone is Facebook Messenger, a known battery hog).

So far, looking good.

EDIT: Forgot to mention double tap to wake is working.
    Last edited by agaskew; 09-05-2016 at 04:49 AM.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-02-2016 04:34 AM
183 ... 45678