[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Quick Review of the 950

Finally continuum. It's really impressive. Still doubt it's practicality, since when I travel it's just as easy to carry a surface than the display dock and a portable keyboard, but it really feels like a glimpse into the future. I've used it wirelessly and it looks incredible for PowerPoint presentations. MS really dropped the ball on coming up with a specific accessory keyboard for this like they did Surface.
Lg has an awesome one that rolls up. You can put it in your man purse or jacket, whatever.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

I have a standard AT&T 950 in black.

Microsoft Edge is just... not up to par yet. It's clumsy with render certain sites (yup, Windows Central too). I can't use WordFlow typing? The tab screen leaves a lot desired as far as navigation. Not intuitive, but I'm used to it by now.

I am using 10586.11 on my preview device (521) while i wait for the 950XL.
I too miss wordflow in Edge for typing the web address.... its there in 8.1 and internet explorer, cant see how they have left this out... i have asked for it several times in the windows insider forums... tried it last night and i agree with you, the rendering of some sites is good but some sites including WC are just plain bad in Edge, they are jerky and not at all fun to browse...

Thanks for taking the time to review; post some camera photos when you can... and your thoughts after a few more days too... esp about battery life.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

any reason I don't see Cortana as an app but I can use it with the search button? trying to pin it to the screen.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Finally continuum. It's really impressive. Still doubt it's practicality, since when I travel it's just as easy to carry a surface than the display dock and a portable keyboard, but it really feels like a glimpse into the future. I've used it wirelessly and it looks incredible for PowerPoint presentations. MS really dropped the ball on coming up with a specific accessory keyboard for this like they did Surface.
I'm not so sure about your keyboard complaint, Microsoft has a foldable Bluetooth keyboard that seems like it was made specifically for continuum and these phones, it came out a couple months ago, it can slide right into your back pocket

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fmk_UFK_blk_otherviews01.jpg&token=c2MM0MsO

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

SpicyKB

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Sorry! No no no, it's still Instagram BETA. I was just saying these are not beta apps in that they don't lag behind the other OS versions. These are pretty and fast and feature-filled. (I get excited writing about tech. Apologies.)

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I got mine yesterday. Still a bit choppy here and there, but certainly usable.
The screen is just amazeballs! I've used Hulu, Netflix, and Plex, and everything looks great. Upscaling works well. I pulled up an episode of Stargate Universe and it filled the screen and was amazingly sharp.

Local Scout has been stripped and moved to a submenu of individual components. LS was always one of my favorite features as I frequently find myslef in unfamiliar territory when hunger strikes.

I don't know if this is AT&T hamstringing the device or not, but I can't find the FM Radio. My 830 running DP 10 still has an FM Radio app, but I've not found any way to access it on the 950.

Wireless charging seems to work with my old DT-900 plate, but no idea yet on how fast the charge rate is.

I like the dark theme for email lists, but wish you could do the same within actual emails instead of jumping to a white screen.

I've had to do teh unistall/reboot/reinstall dance on several apps to get them working. Netflix, Plex, etc.

TeamViewer works well.

The camera takes great pictures, but I haven't had time to set up a structured comparison to my 1020.

Unlock PIN setup was interesting in that it referenced that PIN would also be used to "access apps", I'm just not sure what to make of that yet.

Lumia 950.jpg

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking more in terms of their marketing approach

Well on that note Microsoft ABSOLUTELY SUCKS, they are one of the worst billion dollar marketing companies out. That is just fact. Always mixed messages and never consistent. That's the one thing that totally baffles me about the company

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Since you have recorded video, can you please verify that it doesn't record mono (OneDrive app --> find the video file --> check properties)? How many channels does it say for audio? I need to settle a hypothetical bet and this is driving me crazy to know!

Also, have you uploaded video somewhere? I am very curious about its capabilities compared to the Icon I have.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

One day in here it is.

1. Design. Underwhelming but acceptable. The snap on back and large bezels make this feel like a low end Lumia. Actually feels less premium than the 830 and thats saying something. The phone is thin, but still too large for a 5.2" phone. I was hoping something sized like my second gen Moto X. This is bigger.

Sadly, I have to agree. It looks good from afar, but the moment you pick it up the phone feels underwhelming. Maybe it's the texture because my Lumia 920 was polycarbonate and it felt nice. On the other hand, it feels comfortable to hold and I don't feel like it's going to slip out of my grip.

I'm looking forward to replacement shells, but the ones that have been announced from Mozo are awfully pricey. And I'd like an option other than leather.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Oh, and the iris scanner is great.

Random question: do you wear glasses? Does it work with glasses? I know someone who said that with glasses on they can't really get it to work. If that's the case, it becomes useless to me. Or at least a pain to have to lift up or remove my glasses to unlock it. Might as well use a PIN if it won't work with glasses on.

SpicyKB

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Random question: do you wear glasses? Does it work with glasses? I know someone who said that with glasses on they can't really get it to work. If that's the case, it becomes useless to me. Or at least a pain to have to lift up or remove my glasses to unlock it. Might as well use a PIN if it won't work with glasses on.

Sunglasses are a no go. Nighttime darkness is also a no go, which is weird because I thought it was IR. I'll to borrow some lenses for regular glasses test.

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

You have to run setup without glasses once, but after that it gives you the option to "Improve Recognition". That is the point where you can set it up to recognize you with glasses on. The more you do it, the better it gets.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that's one of the other minor differences between the 950 and the 950 XL, they omitted the FM radio with the 950. Why? Who knows.

According to MS's site, the 950 has an FM radio. Scroll down to the audio section:

Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 - Microsoft Store

I can't confirm this, as I won't have my 950 until tomorrow night, and I know MS's site doesn't have the most reliable info. But they say it's there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss