[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I FINALLY received my lumia 950 today. Picked it up during my lunch break got back to work and set up the phone. Before I go on I have to say my first run through, the battery went from 40ish% to 0 in about 3 to 4 hours. That was between me getting familiar with the settings and provisioning everything.

The phone took 45 mins to charge to max. I think the system needs to read the battery and measure the charge that it can hold. It's been over 4 hours and I have 50% I am still provisioning the settings so I'll update on the battery.

For the settings I turned off glance, I don't need it. Notifications are set to necessary apps. I'm using Hello and it works good, open your eyes and click improve Hello. I did that 3 times and it has read everytime.

The phone is FAST and the pictures, omg amazing quality. So far I love everything I've experienced. I left android and I'm not regretting it one bit. Apps aren't as bad as people say, if you don't have money to spend on apps then I can see why it can be limiting. I don't have snap chat but it's coming soon (not important, I use my phone for work).

I'll keep you guys and dolls updated. On another note, my wife wants my phone... I thinks it's the colored tiles. 😂 😂 😂

Hello works flawlessly for me and I love it, but battery life is leagues better with it off. I turned it off for the day and I was pleasantly surprised at how little the battery life depleted under normal use. Sucks because Hello is a feature that really separates this phone from the rest of the pack, maybe when it leaves beta it will be better on the battery.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

Hello works flawlessly for me and I love it, but battery life is leagues better with it off. I turned it off for the day and I was pleasantly surprised at how little the battery life depleted under normal use. Sucks because Hello is a feature that really separates this phone from the rest of the pack, maybe when it leaves beta it will be better on the battery.

So you have glance on? I noticed better results with ir turned off.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I FINALLY received my lumia 950 today. Picked it up during my lunch break got back to work and set up the phone. Before I go on I have to say my first run through, the battery went from 40ish% to 0 in about 3 to 4 hours. That was between me getting familiar with the settings and provisioning everything.

The phone took 45 mins to charge to max. I think the system needs to read the battery and measure the charge that it can hold. It's been over 4 hours and I have 50% I am still provisioning the settings so I'll update on the battery.

For the settings I turned off glance, I don't need it. Notifications are set to necessary apps. I'm using Hello and it works good, open your eyes and click improve Hello. I did that 3 times and it has read everytime.

The phone is FAST and the pictures, omg amazing quality. So far I love everything I've experienced. I left android and I'm not regretting it one bit. Apps aren't as bad as people say, if you don't have money to spend on apps then I can see why it can be limiting. I don't have snap chat but it's coming soon (not important, I use my phone for work).

I'll keep you guys and dolls updated. On another note, my wife wants my phone... I thinks it's the colored tiles. 😂 😂 😂

I'll keep you guys and dolls updated.

Okay so day 2 and battery has gotten better, 4 hours of use and it's gone from 100% to 72%. The phone is still getting warm but not as much as it was yesterday. I still have Hello on and I've been contently texting, tweeting and emailing. Also, I have brightness at a static 25%.

I did an update to everything that was available in the store, There was a phone update available as well. I don't know if that helped but I see a difference since yesterdays use. I hope it just gets better.

I'll keep you updated on anything else.

Last edited:

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Damn, played with the 950 today at my AT&T store to help my anxiousness waiting on my 950XL and thought i just couldn't find the double tap setting.. crap, how can they leave that out???
I hope they're listening to us and include it in the first update!!!
HELLO.....

I just can't believe they left this out. I am using double tap to wake to wake my phone for 3 years, I am so used to it and can't think about not having it, especially on a Lumia! I am not optimistic that it will be included with an update, they would have said something about it. I think it is related to hardware and will never come just like Glance screen not coming to 930. I hope I am wrong.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty confident DTTW will appear again someday and probably didn't make the cut in what I imagine was a rush to make the phone shippable.

nyrnd

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site

I have read a number of reviews and find people extremely critical of Microsoft products while able to easily overlook shortfalls for Apple products. Very interesting. Anyway, i have set up my 950 and here is my review.
I changed carriers for the 950. This turned out to be very easy with AT&T. Lots of help and care. They were not technically astute to the 950 but i hope over time they will be. Having backed up all my settings on my HTC within minutes i was ready with my apps and more on the 950. I received texts almost immediately. My suggestion is to make sure you have everything backed up and have done all your homework before activating your line. It made my time there quick.
They did not have white which i wanted but i didn't see an issue since i can replace the covers. After leaving the store i set up the Bluetooth in my car which uses Microsoft sync. Simple. In addition to ease of set up i found that the sound is much better from the 950 to my care and messaging is outstanding on it via hands free. This was an unexpected nice perk. Being a cold day when i was out of the car i found the ease of Windows Hello with my gloves on was a productivity improvement. Couple that with Cortana and i was very productive outside. The screen was easy to see.
Phone quality is very good. Just a bit tin sound but easy to speak and hear. No problem holding to my ear.
Photos are very good and a highlight. Processing time is a bit frustrating as it is longer than i would like. In order to see my photos i have to tap the upper left and leave the camera screen to go to my roll where i can see all my pics and do some editing. Wish it was on one screen.
I set up Skype and find it a bit confusing and complex. I would have expected it would have just worked in my phone, messaging and stand alone. Unless i did it wrong i would tell you i had to spend a lot more time then i planned on this. It now works.
Battery time in the beginning was poor. Now i would say it is good and i get a full day out of a charge. The glance screen with calendar,, mail and time/date is really nice.
The price is high. $600 at AT&T is more than i expect for this phone. I think it is about $100 too much but i really wanted it.
There have been very few software bugs in it. One reboot and once i had to shut down and restart. That was in the first 24 hours . Over the last 6 days, none of that.
I think MS is really on the right track here. There are lots of things better than my wifes iPhone and of course the software is much better than Android (my opinion).
I am looking forward to the Surface Phone in another year or so (rumor has it). In the meantime i am pleasantly happy with the 950. MS you need to keep this updated and provide continued support for it until your next phones are available.
Yes, i need to mention apps. Many times i have to use my wifes iPhone for certain apps that are not available on Windows phones. My hope is universal apps will alleviate some of this. Its not a tremendous amount of apps but a frustrating core number that i would like to use but aren't available. I have found that by looking for apps in more detail i have found some pretty good third party apps but this is my most frustrating issue with windows phones.

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

i believe the HERE map is built in, but they don't call it HERE anymore. I can still download maps for offline use.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Yeah if you scroll down to the bottom of the map settings, you'll see it references HERE as a source. You can also choose multiple routes as usual, etc.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

i believe the HERE map is built in, but they don't call it HERE anymore. I can still download maps for offline use.

I believe HERE was the app and the map data both. Windows uses its own app (not Here app) but uses HERE's map data.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

To begin, as my title shows I am a Tech Person through out. I am the Administrator for a School District's Network, Systems and devices.

I wouldn't buy something if I didn't think it would work and that leads me to my Lumia 830 purchase over a year ago. Once I upgraded the 830 to windows 10 pre-release in the spring I went right back to windows 8.1 and stuck with it until late summer. I then went back to Windows 10 pre-release and stuck with it ever since. It was running my work apps and my personal apps without issues and the maps were much improved over the earlier version. I had already been studying the information on the 950 even before it was called a 950. Waiting for the release of the 950 I knew I would purchase it with windows 10 on it when it was announced.

Now that I have had the 950 for almost 5 days now(the 830 went to the wife with Windows 10 pre-release) I must say that battery life is quite impressive and the overall operation of the phone is smooth. Edge browser needs some tweaking as it is a little glitchy with web pages showing some stubbornness to appear. But, this is not a distraction from the use of the browser. Everything for work is running perfect on it and all my personal apps are running without any obvious problems. Windows Hello is a bit stubborn at recognizing me at times in different lighting, but as I continue to improve the recognition it improves. As far the uploading of camera shots, they appear on my One Drive almost immediately. Of course the camera is outstanding without much adjusting of iris, aperture or lighting. I have taken several shot in low lighting and the camera adjusts the image and the pictures are presented in a very true lighting. Of course the adjustment of the lighting allows you to bring up the brightness nicely. It takes amazing pictures, hands down!

I was a long standing android user before and had several Samsung and HTC phones. I know several people with the new Samsung S6 and the iPhone 6s. I would put the 950 up against either of them for photo shots any time. The Windows 10 interface will improve with the updates over time and give users a better experience with Hello, File Manager and Edge Browser. Like any Microsoft Windows product it will take some time before it is running without glitches. But for me as a picky Tech person, it is doing the job quite well.

The maps are working very well with the latest update. If you are having trouble then go to the store and run the update and you will see great improvements with the Maps app.

The fact is not everyone will be happy with a Windows Operating system on a phone as they prefer the iOS look of things. Personally I like Windows and like the platform to be more fluent across my devices.
A note about Android, my last device got a virus through one of the apps. It took all kinds of work to rid the phone of the thing and lots of my time.
Knowing that Microsoft will keep up on the Store Apps and updating the Windows 10 Mobile operating system helps me to feel more secure about running apps on my 950. I realize that nothing is perfect, however I have yet to have a virus on any of my devices running Windows 10 including the Pre-Release version.

I do not see Microsoft abandoning the Mobile Operating System and they will be making it more appealing to the business crowd.

Note added 12-1-15: I will try out visual voicemail today sometime. For those having heat issues, mine disappeared after first two days of phone getting updates and settling in. The phone synced up just fine with my Ford Focus Sync and all options, voice text, calls and audio navigation are working.

p.s. The wife is happy with her Windows 10 phone...this is good!

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I picked up my black 950 on Saturday afternoon. It replaced my black 920 (that I ran W10M on, so the new UI stuff was familiar, even if I'm not crazy about it), which I picked up at launch on AT&T 3+ years ago (November 9, 2012). Setting it up was a pain. AT&T WiFi wouldn't work, so I had to set it up without my account, which meant having to do a factory reset when I got onto my cousin's WiFi. It then wouldn't let me sign in to my MS account, meaning ANOTHER factory reset. It finally worked the third time, then I had to update 50 apps...yikes. Anyway, after about 2.5 days, here are some things I've experienced with my 950:

Cons (starting with them so the post ends on a high note, haha!):

--Finding a good case will be tough. I wanted to get something in orange, but there are only a couple of orange options, and they suck. I wish Amzer's Pudding case were available in different colors. I'd prefer a simple gel or silicon case, as I just want a bit more grip.
--No double-tap to wake blows. I still find myself trying to do it every so often. I miss it and hope it returns.
--Super-sensitive touch's absence is also lame. I didn't care TOO much for it, but losing features is never a positive.
--The rear speaker is pretty poor, as is its placement. I guess the thinness of the phone dictated the rear location, but it pushes no bass (I listen to music through it quite a bit in the car, as my audio input has malfunctioned). The speaker's loud, but music quality is much worse than my 920. The volume level can be really inconsistent, though. Listening to a song, the loudness can rise and fall a few times in a song, it's weird.
--Using the same earphones from my 920 to the 950 (some cheap Skullcandy ones, as my luck with them is too bad to warrant a big-dollar investment), the audio is again inferior. It's not terrible, but not all that good. The equalizer interface is also strangely compact. I think it's on the same +/- 12 scale as the 920's, but they made it a lot shorter, and it throws me off.
--Windows Hello was a disaster. I set it up with my glasses off fine. I tried to add more images after that. The dark image was fine. Glasses on, it wasn't happening. I tried probably 5 times over 10 minutes to get it to see my eyes with my glasses on, to no avail. I went ahead and tried unlocking it with my glasses on. It was fine once, then the next 3-5 tries were failures, so I just turned the thing off (I never use a PIN anyway, so it's not a real loss for me).
--The camera (which I haven't gotten to use much) seems inconsistent with its focus. IDK if it was the reflection of the clear plastic, but I tried to take a picture of my new microSDXC card that came in the mail, and the camera's auto-focus refused to look at it properly. The cardboard, it focused on fine.
--Like I said, I'm used to W10M, but I still feel obligated to comment on its negatives. I abhor the pop-out menu setup. I also think putting the menu buttons in the upper-left is ignorant, since that's the hardest corner to reach. Since the first two phones out have large screens, this makes one-handed use on the 950 and XL troublesome (this from a guy with reasonably large hands--even as a kid, I liked the size of the original Xbox "Duke" controllers). I'm also irritated that the Store tile doesn't display pending updates. I don't let things update automatically (I like to see that changes are happening first), but I never know when I have updates because the tile never tells me. Lastly, I miss Xbox Music's lockscreen integration, and Groove Music from my 920 to my 950 has lost track of a lot of images.
--Last negative point, I think, is the lack of a proper syncing app. Drag-and-drop is a horrible way to handle music for a phone. I have 600+ albums in my personal music library (I don't use streaming). I don't like to sync every song, not every song on every album is something I want to listen to. So, I made artist-specific playlists. On Windows 8.1, I could plug my phone in and use the Windows Phone app. I'd select that I wanted to add a playlist, and the app would then pull all of the tracks in that playlist to the phone. Drag-and-drop doesn't do that, and the new "Companion App" doesn't handle music. So, I'm left to manually curate 600+ albums, or (my current solution) I have to carry a bunch of tracks I don't want to.

Pros:

--The size is nice. It might be a tad too wide for my pocket with a case, but I like it so far. People seem to praise thinness and being lightweight, and this fits both well. I'd probably actually like a little more weight and thickness, I always feel devices like this will be brittle, but that's mostly paranoia.
--Glance is brighter than my 920, a very welcome change. I don't have to pick up my phone to see the display, it's plenty bright with Glance.
--The chassis seems to protrude a TINY bit from the display, which should allow it to be placed face-down without fear of scratches. I like that, as it allows me to place the phone face-down at night, so notifications aren't turning on the display for nothing.
--The display's great. I don't know why people said it was dim, it's blinding at 50% at night, with the lights off (I use auto-brightness, but wanted to get a look). It also seems to have less friction than my 920's display (maybe because of the 920's age and use), so scrolling and swipe-based texting is very smooth and pleasant.
--microSD support is great. My 128-GB card showed up a day early, luckily. I'm big on a using my local library (hate streaming's lower-quality options, required Internet connection, and cost), and storage became a problem on the 32-GB 920 I had pretty quickly. Throw in 4K video and 16-MP images with the 950, and 32 GB wasn't going to be anywhere close to enough space.
--I'm in the process of throwing 48 GB of music onto the phone, so count USB 3.0 among the positives as well.
--The phone is definitely cooler than my 920, which could cook an egg on LTE and GPS.
--Battery life is also solid. Where my 920 could quote itself at about 8 hours on LTE, the 950 is north of 20 hours while on LTE and doing stuff. It cam rate north of 30 hours when not too busy as well, where as a good day for my 920 was 15 hours. It was at 6% after just sitting face-down after about 24 hours at home, after switching to my 950.

I might find more mentions later, especially if I find a chance to use the camera (Illinois with bad weather and constant rain isn't ideal). I also need to snag a Display Dock and give that a whirl. I think that's got amazing potential as a work tool, pairing OneDrive, Office Online (from my desktop), and Office on my phone with the Dock.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

I have the same question. Having a free, full navigation-software (= "Here") on my 920 is great. The maps-app i see on my just bought surface pro 4 - yeah, i love it - is no sbstitute.

Voice Navigation works with the new Maps app that replaced Here Maps. Tested and true.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

Bought the unlocked Lumia 950 from MS store on Friday. Been using it since then. My impressions so far

Love the screen, size, live tiles and the overall look of the phone.
Initially I was still missing the standard bb10 features as I come from blackberry, but I'm getting used to the OS now and liking it.
Battery has gotten better over the last 2 days it almost lasts about 12-13 hours of moderate to heavy use.

Major issues so far:

Compared to the bb10 keyboard the prediction is a bit too slow. When I type fast, the predictions dont appear quick enough so I can correct the words as I type in.

No all mails view - it's a major issue

No push for iCloud emails

No print app for hp- the aio app doesn't work.

Html emails with images dont show in Outlook. This was so much better on BlackBerry

That's my review so far. Initially I thought I might return the phone by now, but now I'm beginning to like it more. So I might end up keeping it.

Sent from mTalk

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Bought the unlocked Lumia 950 from MS store on Friday. Been using it since then. My impressions so far

Love the screen, size, live tiles and the overall look of the phone.
Initially I was still missing the standard bb10 features as I come from blackberry, but I'm getting used to the OS now and liking it.
Battery has gotten better over the last 2 days it almost lasts about 12-13 hours of moderate to heavy use.

Major issues so far:

Compared to the bb10 keyboard the prediction is a bit too slow. When I type fast, the predictions dont appear quick enough so I can correct the words as I type in.

No all mails view - it's a major issue

No push for iCloud emails

No print app for hp- the aio app doesn't work.

Html emails with images dont show in Outlook. This was so much better on BlackBerry

That's my review so far. Initially I thought I might return the phone by now, but now I'm beginning to like it more. So I might end up keeping it.

Sent from mTalk

Which Blackberry phone are you coming from? I have a BB Z30 and I am leaning on replacing it with the 950 instead of the BB Priv. Really do not want to pay the extra money for a physical keyboard I would never use. Priv is $699.00 unlocked on BB website . 950 is $550.00 unlocked from MS. I still have my WP Nokia 925, so I am use to the MS OS. I also have a Xbox One and MS computer so it will be good to be back in the MS Ecosystem.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

Which Blackberry phone are you coming from? I have a BB Z30 and I am leaning on replacing it with the 950 instead of the BB Priv. Really do not want to pay the extra money for a physical keyboard I would never use. Priv is $699.00 unlocked on BB website . 950 is $550.00 unlocked from MS. I still have my WP Nokia 925, so I am use to the MS OS. I also have a Xbox One and MS computer so it will be good to be back in the MS Ecosystem.

I used z30 and leap for a long time. I still have the leap with me. Im beginning to like the Lumia 950 but now I'm getting an option to buy the passport se which intrigues me. I might return the 950 and get the passport se. Very confused right now

Sent from mTalk

Humble_jo

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: My Quick Review of the 950

I did the first setup without glasses, and I'm wearing progressive lenses. After a while the recognition is almost instantaneous. Last night I had to change the alarm while the lights were out, and even in complete darkness, it succeeded, although it took a few seconds...

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

I used z30 and leap for a long time. I still have the leap with me. Im beginning to like the Lumia 950 but now I'm getting an option to buy the passport se which intrigues me. I might return the 950 and get the passport se. Very confused right now

Sent from mTalk

Question is: How long will BB10 OS be around? John Chen said already it is either Android or bust? BB10 will go the way of the Dodo bird eventually. I am not going to invest anymore into a Dying OS. It appears the MS is moving in the right direction with the rumored Surface Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss