[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

i need help with 3 things that are bothering me. 1) hitting the back arrow does not close out the apps you were using, i still have to hold the back arrow and swipe them away. 2) why do all my email show up in a column and not using the full width of my screen regardless if i am in portrait or landscape. 3) no notifications are showing in my notification screen, emails, texts, alerts nothing. i can select the app to show a notification bar but it will not stay in the drop down notification screen. was there something i was supposed to do that i missed?

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

i need help with 3 things that are bothering me. 1) hitting the back arrow does not close out the apps you were using, i still have to hold the back arrow and swipe them away. 2) why do all my email show up in a column and not using the full width of my screen regardless if i am in portrait or landscape. 3) no notifications are showing in my notification screen, emails, texts, alerts nothing. i can select the app to show a notification bar but it will not stay in the drop down notification screen. was there something i was supposed to do that i missed?

All of these functions work with my 950. Try a phone reset?

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

i need help with 3 things that are bothering me. 1) hitting the back arrow does not close out the apps you were using, i still have to hold the back arrow and swipe them away.

I have yet to switch to L950 (Win10m) from my L920 (WP8.1). However, isn't it how it is supposed to work. Hitting back to return to previous app/screens. Holding and swiping down to actually "close" the app?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The back button is programmable within the App. At least in 8.1.

Some of my Apps close, some persist in background. I try and periodically hold the back button for card view as a habit.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

The rendering within the email app seems to be a bug with the 950 or the 10586.0 version of the OS. I was running 10586.11 on a Lumia 735 without the goofy column rendering in the email app, but I have the same issue as you on my new 950.

My notifications are working fine. You may need a hard reset to get this working.

bernieplug

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

When doing full-screen Powerpoint presentations in continuum mode, has anyone found a way of going back a slide?

When presenting directly on the phone, that's just a swipe left gesture. But when presenting to an attached monitor ... ?

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My 950 and W10M Review After 17 days

Ive had the 950 since November 19th, still disappointed. Lumia 950 Version 1511, OS Build 10.0.10586.0

I have owned the 920, 925 and 830 prior to my 950. The 950 has been a disappointment, every other phone felt like a flagship and also felt like an improvement in one way or another over the previous phone. This is my second post about the 950, neither of them favorable to W10M or the 950. I have been a fan of Windows and the Nokia devices for a long time but feel like I am always waiting for better apps, more apps, fixed apps; new hardware, better hardware, NEW hardware. People are excusing Microsoft saying that this is not a finished product, sorry, it is finished but like always it just doesnt feel that way. Of course we will get updates to improve things but Im getting tired of waiting. The first update for the 950 better be a major one because an extra 15 seconds of battery life isnt going to cut it.

Buttons - The buttons on the 920, 925 & 830 felt better, not much else to say about that.

Case/Back Cover - Like it or not the 950 feels and looks cheap, not like a flagship. The fact that the plastic doesnt come all the way up the side of the phone just blows my mind. It actually looks like a separate piece/component, since when is that acceptable.

Speaker - Its OK but the last few versions of the iPhone have us beat. Not crazy about a rear facing speaker.

Battery - I expected better battery life, the 950 has a 3000mah battery and my 830 had a 2200mah. Not much of a difference in battery performance between the 2 phones.

Camera (Photos) - This is where I start to get annoyed. I dont know if this is a hardware, firmware or software issue but this camera is a huuuuuuge disappointment. I can take a nice picture of a flower or a building but I cannot take a decent picture of my kids in any setting if my life depended on it and it seems to be the autofocus that is screwing up so many pictures. I simply cannot take a picture of my kids in front of the xmas tree with the lights on, the picture is blurry, it never ever focuses. The chances of shooting a picture with multiple faces in it and it all being in focus is nearly impossible. Rich capture n or off just means some faces are blurry and others arent depending on where you slide the lighting bar. Shooting an action shot, I dont even bother trying anymore. My daughter is a cheerleader and I havent taken a decent photo of her at cheer in 17 days. Ever here of panorama or an action setting, night setting, these are features every phone on planet earth have. Comparing pictures taken from my 830 and the 950 is a toss up, more consistent good photos with the 830.

Camera (Video) - 4k Video is hit or miss, literally, sometimes I am missing frames other times the color is changing during the video and I have often experienced the focus hunting or screen pulsing. I dont have the ability to record slo-motion at any resolution, I show a disabled icon under my turtle icon. I have also experienced audio clicking and noise but that seems to be while recording video to the sd card. Its a high end sd card but I guess not high end enough

Screen - The screen is better than my 830 but not by much yet the specs tell a different story. According to the specs, I expected to see a screen that was going to blow away my 830 and should be better than the iPhone 6s and Samsung Galaxy s6, not in my opinion.

W10M - Not much wow here. Continuum seems like a great idea but its a bit buggy and i dont know exactly when i would ever use it instead of using my own laptop or PC and I cant see carrying around a monitor, keyboard, mouse and dock rather than carrying around a laptop or surface that can connect to the same cloud content that my phone can. A little buggy but not terrible. The windows start screen sometimes crashes or gets stuck resuming. The Maps app crashed a few times on me. Video streaming from the internet has crashed about half a dozen times, mainly while in MSN news. How about a granular sound profile editor like blackberry had 100 years ago?

SKype/Messaging - Skype and messaging seem a bit disconnected but im not sure exactly how to describe it. Some of my contacts have duplicated since the merging of the 2 apps.

Skype - The skype Video and Skype app actually have different features and believe it or not perform differently. The Skype video app sometimes doesnt give you video depending on if you are initiating the call or receiving the call but the original Skype app always seems to work. The Skype video app doesnt give me the option to switch cameras on the 950 but it does on the 830. The skype use of the camera on the 950 appears to optimize the camera for a face that is close to the camera which is great except sometimes you want to show someone something with the good/main camera and the quality is very poor because the focus is optimized for objects 1 foot away from the camera.

Windows Hello - The iris scanner works very well, sometimes scanning me in faster than me entering my 4 digit PIN. Works well in different light conditions as well. I have read other opinions on Windows Hello but my experience has been positive.

Movies & TV - Small complaint but I want a great refined experience, sorry that i am no longer willing to except mediocre. The preview tiles in My Videos are displayed with a low resolution and the look is just plain terrible.

Groove Music - Sort of odd user experience when searching for music in groove or with cortana and you are pushed toward the music store to buy the song/album instead of using your music pass to play the song/album. Its almost like you have to search for the music twice to play it with your music pass. And then sometimes it plays a different song than the one you just searched and selected.

Email/Calendar/People - I like it however the circle tiles would be better as squares, Im sure everyone has already heard this 100 times.

Phone - Not much to complain about here but since Im on a roll, when dialing fast it will often pause for a second after the first number you type. Its a weird behavior, a minor annoyance.

Facebook - Facebook is a popular app, you would think MS would have made some major improvements to this app prior to a few days ago. Its starting to look and feel like a nice app that was developed by a professional instead of in some guys garage. But even after the latest update, its still a let down. I get an error at the top of the page "we werent able to sync right now" yet it loads the new content 9 out of 10 times. Viewing likes and comments are still hit or miss and have been for 3 years. I have not tried to post photos or check-in with the updated app.

Photos App - I like it but do something great and make it feel more like Windows Live Photo Gallery. Add support for people and description tags and star ratings, take it to the next level. Less than 2% of the market isnt going to keep a mobile OS relevant for very long, wake up and do something great.

Case/Cover - I bought 3 different cases, the Orzly Flexicase clear silicone gel case is the best one. Great control and feel of the buttons and a nice fit and feel.

I dont know what the return policy is but Im seriously thinking about sending this phone back and making the move to a Samsung or iPhone, something I have resisted for a long time.

Last edited:

Blomsternisse

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: My 950 and W10M Review After 17 days

Camera (Photos) - This is where I start to get annoyed. I dont know if this is a hardware, firmware or software issue but this camera is a huuuuuuge disappointment. I can take a nice picture of a flower or a building but I cannot take a decent picture of my kids in any setting if my life depended on it and it seems to be the autofocus that is screwing up so many pictures. I simply cannot take a picture of my kids in front of the xmas tree with the lights on, the picture is blurry, it never ever focuses. The chances of shooting a picture with multiple faces in it and it all being in focus is nearly impossible. Rich capture n or off just means some faces are blurry and others arent depending on where you slide the lighting bar. Shooting an action shot, I dont even bother trying anymore. My daughter is a cheerleader and I havent taken a decent photo of her at cheer in 17 days. Ever here of panorama or an action setting, night setting, these are features every phone on planet earth have. Comparing pictures taken from my 830 and the 950 is a toss up, more consistent good photos with the 830.

That's disapointing. The only real reason for me to get a Lumia 950 would be the camera, and if it can't even take photos of moving objects, then I see no reason to replace my current iPhone (I often take pictures of my dogs who love to fool around).

Does anyone else experience the same problems with moving objects?

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site

That's disapointing. The only real reason for me to get a Lumia 950 would be the camera, and if it can't even take photos of moving objects, then I see no reason to replace my current iPhone (I often take pictures of my dogs who love to fool around).

no, but didn't catch an extreme motion pic so far...
taking a photo of a street with passing cars - all sharp and clear!
and slo-mo's - no problem, works as expected!

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Photos are absolutely stunning with this camera! I have had absolutely no problems with focusing and moving objects. This is the best phone camera I've ever seen!

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Photos are absolutely stunning with this camera! I have had absolutely no problems with focusing and moving objects. This is the best phone camera I've ever seen!
Actually I have the same problems with moving objects. If Iwant to take some shots of my daughter from 7-8 shots can't use more than 1, maybe 2. This has caused an irritation lately, when she sees me with the phone pointed at her she starts crying and turns around.
In the same environment a galaxy s6 gets like 3-4 shots usable. This all happens in evenings, indoors with poor to medium light.

Do note that rich capture and living images are turned off. Also I only used the autofocus, not the touch to focus on screen.

It seems that in thise lightning conditions it refuses to have a shutter speed quicker than 1/15. The samsung in the same enviromment goes between 1/30 and 1/40. notably faster, like more than twice.

The Lumia shots do look more stunning when they are usable, but the vast majority of shots ahave the moving subject blurred...

Does anyone else have those issues beside the one above?

vesoc

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

At night, i tend to manually up the light setting when i'm going for a high obturation frequency. If i don't do it, the camera doesn't do well with badly lit settings ( case in point, volley ball players spiking can be done but the players look like they are playing in the dark.).

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Review from a current Lumia 950 user since Nov. 22nd

Bought my Lumia 950 from my local ATT store on the 22nd of November, and for the first week and a half, I did not have any issues. But in the last week, I've had a lot of trouble. It has corrupted a 32GB SD Card, and no matter where or how many times I format the card, it will constantly try to scan and fix errors, causing me to lose access to all of my apps, pictures and music on the card. I've since ditched the SD Card in the phone and using the on board mass storage. I've run into a few other issues that some other users are reporting here as well. They are:

- Low Storage Error. I'm not sure if this is caused by the Update to .29, but either way I was getting it prior to the update by a day or two. I had to do a fresh restore from scratch, and it hasn't popped up again.

- Severe battery drain. It's annoying and my 640 would last a day and a half with a decent amount streaming, texting, calls, etc; This device lasts barely a day. With a 3000mAH battery, I would have expected this to be a sipper, not a gulper.

= Random app crashes across a variety of tasks including Camera (could be the low storage bug issue cropping up here too), Facebook, Movies and TV, as well as Twitter, Audible and even the settings tray on the notifications bar. These will cause me to have to do a soft reset. It happened last night when I had 22% battery and I did a soft reset and ended up at 16% battery. Some serious rogue apps and code lines going crazy in W10....

- Windows 10 sucks right now. I dearly miss 8.1 and honestly, It won't be ready for primetime probably until the end of next year which is disappointing. I get that no OS is going to be bug free, but I've never had this many issues so quickly with Android or iOS. Usually it's localized to a few issues, and it's fixed within a week or two. But we have seen one update and it hasn't improved battery life, it has not improved the stability outside of a few apps like email and groove.

As for the device itself, it's fantastic. I like the minimalist build quality and I love the screen. My god, it's beautiful. It puts a lot of these droid devices to shame and it really shines next to a S6 or an iPhone. The processor stopped getting as hot with the edge optimizations, which is why it's not on my problems list - they really came through for us there. The OS does have battery drain issues, yes, but overall the heat production is diminished with the .29 update. The SD Card thing irritated me a bit, since I have over 50 audiobooks, many of which are 2-300 MB or more. The increase to 32GB from 8 is a boon, but with audio books it's hard to have all my books, and my music and still be able to have the apps I want or be able to take and save video with this awesome Camera. IT's fantastic, the camera takes great clear and crisp video and photos. I've not had a camera on a phone be able to do this - at least not one I've owned. I think it's better than iSight on an iPhone.

Windows Hello works great, although I just don't think it's as practical as a fingerprint reader. IT needs to be able to read farther away so I don't have to place the phone right next to my face in order for it to work. Still, it's a unique method to sign into the phone and into apps. Perhaps adding support for social media apps would be an incentive?

Overall, this phone is about an 7.5/10. I want to give it an 8, but with issues in the OS causing instability and severe battery drain - coupled with the problems regarding the app situation, lack of support for some popular apps as well as the overall newness of W10, I can't. I'll review the phone in a few months again and we will see if we can get there. It's a start, but right now this phone is still in a somewhat polished beta form of OS.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

My sons 950 doesn't suffer excessive battery drain. Yes, it gets warm sometimes, but again, nothing like the 930. As for the update, I thought that was just fixes for edge, groove and a couple of other small bugs.

Had no issues with sd card. He runs a Sandisk 32gb class 10. The camera is fantastic. The device is something else when it comes to the display.

We all knew that the OS wasn't going to be the complete package. Win 10 was the same, with a myriad of updates since release. I guess we should be thankful that we have new devices and a new OS. I'd still rather be here than getting violated by google or screwed over by crapple

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Zero issues here with my 950 running the latest update, using a 200 GB SanDisk microSD card.

The happiest I've ever been with a phone.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

The deal breaker for me in deciding to spend $$ on the 950 was when I learned that there is no Cisco anyconnect app. I have to have anyconnect.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm, did not mean to be "bogus" as you put it. I am only sharing my experience and of course experiences are unique and we share them here in this forum. I actually had the 950 in my hand at a Best Buy store and I searched the store for the anyconnect client (like I had done with my 640 without problem) but it never found it. Than you for pointing out that is there as I will go back to that demo at Best Buy and do another search. I tried several times and the app never showed.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm, did not mean to be "bogus" as you put it. I am only sharing my experience and of course experiences are unique and we share them here in this forum. I actually had the 950 in my hand at a Best Buy store and I searched the store for the anyconnect client (like I had done with my 640 without problem) but it never found it. Than you for pointing out that is there as I will go back to that demo at Best Buy and do another search. I tried several times and the app never showed.

Don't take offense, I just meant that you had gotten some bad information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos