[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

Very Very well written and honest review ( not to mention the1st) ......I so needed to hear encouraging words. I was aiming for the 950 XL 5.7 ( Size Queen) ha ha ha ... But" I have changed my plea to Guilty" ( MOZ quote) for the 950 and you sir have made the bitter pill sweet!!!! Long live 950!!!!!

Weird mood Family

(Damn you AT&T !!!! ) (" Damn Damn Damn" Florida Evans Voice)Good times for you kids

I was in the same boat, I wanted the 950XL, however, my carrier AT&T still has not stated that will carry it...so I decided to get the 950! Coming from a L-920, man is it much lighter and thinner....however a Mozo black leather back will be purchased immediately when they grace our presence on US soil....will write a more detailed report after 1 month use, but thus far am very pleased!

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Well I've had mine for a few days now and if I'm honest, I'm a little underwhelmed. I upgraded to the 950 from the 930. I wanted the XL for the extra power but my network (and most others) don't carry it, but the 950's good enough.

Design. fine by me. I have the black one and in fact to me the casing looks and feels like matt sheen painted metal. The only flex I can find is just below the camera lens, but you have to specifically push on it. Nothing at all in normal use. But I still have to admit, it doesn't look like a step up from the 930 with it's aluminium border and screen that tapers off at the edges. I assume the all flat screen is down to all those who complained you couldn't put a screen protector properly on the 930.

Screen. Great screen of course, but for whatever reason it doesn't look as vibrant as the 930. Although the colours look exactly the same on each side by side, on it's own they don't seem as vivid and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's an optical illusion because placing them side by side with the same settings, the 950 is actually very slightly brighter, but the contrast doesn't seem as sharp so the colours look slightly more washed out.

Actually just looking at it again, the background in certain areas is definitely gray where previously it was black, such as the address bar in the browser and the calendar background. I must have a setting wrong somewhere but I can't find it unless it's supposed to be like that, but that sounds odd as more lit pixels will eat into the battery life.

Tiles. Sorry but I don't like the new icons for mail, calendar etc. Before there was a large number to show how many mails you had to the right of the envelope logo, the date on the calendar extended tile. Now I have the Outlook calendar and the tile doesn't show the date at all, and the gray background is horrible. Even the text size on the bar at the top that shows the time, battery percentage etc. is slightly smaller. I would have liked to see the battery percentage and date on that bar when empty space was available, which is most of the time, rather than have to slide down to see it.

One other thing I don't think anybody has noticed. You actually get LESS screen space than before as a result of putting the navigation buttons (at the bottom of the screen) onto it rather than below it. Don't believe me? Those of you who have upgraded from the 930 just put them side by side and look at the length of the lock screen or the browser, not including the buttons. The available space on the 930 is actually larger and frankly as this is listed as a 5.2" phone I feel slightly cheated. Also because those nav buttons are further up from the bottom of the panel I keep missing them but maybe that's just a matter of getting used to them.

Keyboard. The new arrow thing is a much-needed improvement for moving the cursor around, but where's the dictionary gone? I'm having trouble with the Wordflow keyboard which doesn't seem to be able to spell anything and I can't find any settings for it. It will often miss a word completely when you have tried to type it with Wordflow and unless you're looking at the screen you can easily miss it. It often doesn't suggest words and doesn't seem to recognise incomplete words. This is a big issue and if it can't be put right this could be a deal breaker for me because on the 930 it was near perfect.

Verdict so far: I'm really not sure. It's a great phone in it's own right but new features aside is it better than the one it's replacing for most of us, the Lumia 930? You know, I'm not sure it is and if the 930 is going to be upgraded to Windows 10 soon I might just be returning this.

UPDATE:
+ I have tweaked the screen a little more to my liking. Seems better now.

+ I remembered I have a glass screen protector on, that might be affecting word flow. I hope so, as it stands my only real reason for not going back to the 30 is the faster browsing speed.

+ I tried Continuum on my TV via Miracast today. It's FANTASTIC! Very clever stuff. However the second time I tried it to show it off to the neighbours, from exactly the same position in the room, it simply refused to connect to the TV. But it did work, so hopefully it will get better in time and no doubt would be far more reliable using the dock.

+ Windows Hello. I totally get it. It's brilliant. Normally you would pick up and hold the phone with your thumb resting somewhere around the middle. To unlock it with a fingerprint scanner such as on the iPhone you would normally either have to move your hand to a more awkward place near the bottom of the phone, vastly increasing the chance of dropping it, or use both hands. Tricky especially if you are walking down the street, particularly if you are carrying something. With Hello you just hold the phone up in front of you, and although admittedly it has to be fairly close it is by far a more comfortable and natural way of unlocking it, and for me has worked almost every time with or without glasses. If not, it's easy enough to pop in code once in a while, again with your thumb in a more natural position than at the bottom of the phone. The journos have missed the point and criticised it, but it totally makes sense.

- Lumia Refocus has gone, apparently it's no longer compatible.

- While I have never combined about the design I picked up the 930 again today and it was quickly apparent how superior the build quality is over the 950. I'm guessing this is a stop gap for the Surface phone - make the 950 TOO good and people might not bother upgrading to the Surface Phone, assuming we get one.

I don't know. I want to love it but it just doesn't feel special like 930 did.

Last edited:

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I am a windows phone fan, I am using lenovo g500s with windows 10. and lumia 720 with wp8.1
my lumia is 3 years old with 512 ram, its full of bug. camera is slow, whatsapp crashes, IE is slow and crashes...and it gets hanged with out reason...still the build quality is awesome and battery is awesome..

so, now I want to buy a new phone.. shall I buy windows phone again? or go for android? i never used andrdoid, n not a huge fan of it, but it gives better hard ware at a bttr price...so kindly suggest me a phone. I was planning to buy xaomi mi 5 or lumia 950(second hand) because my budger is tight. mi5 also has option of windows 10...and lumia 950 has lot of bugs..so kind of confused...please help me i am a loyal windows fan u see. :) and want to replace lumia 720 when i buy new phone. i am in india... thanks in advance

my usage is mail, chat, whtspp, fb, news, youtube, videos, no gaming, very few voice calls, wifi, 3g, tinder, one note, browsing, calendar, maps and navigation...

Zygimantas Rimkus1

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: My 950 and W10M Review After 17 days

My camera coming worse,first, when i'm shooting Slow-Motion, the video struggling, autofocus can't catch simple image, always getting blurry. Only į can take good images with pro camera settings.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

before we get started I gotta get this out of the way..

Dear Microsoft,

You need to remove your head from your rectum. You have totally screwed yourself over when you abandoned Windows Mobile in favor of that TURD known as Windows Phone 7 where one had no expandable storage and there was no way to run what could have been arguably called the world's largest app library (Windows CE apps) When you announced in 2010 that you were ceasing development of WM, you shot yourself in the foot as everyone turned to Android... Tell me how did that work out for you? To date you STILL have not fixed what made WM 6.5 and earlier so great

My impression of the 950

Pros
It is fast
The screen is amazing.. text is razor sharp and color reproduction is very, very good. Pixel density is so high you cannot see individual ones
The iris scanner is slick, but you will have to run the tool several times to get best results.
Windows Mobile is a nice improvement over WP 8.1x.
The integration with the desktop is nice and is progressing nicely
Removable Battery.

Cons
It feels cheap in your hand compared to previous Lumia devices like the 800
Locating spare batteries is going to be a PITA

Windows 10 is extremely responsive on this device and there is absolutely no screen lag when scrolling. Apps load quickly and are very fast when using them. MS seems to be working very hard to get the OS to be better with each release. Windows 10 has corrected almost every single shortcoming of WP 7 and vastly improved on WP 8.1X which was good in of its self.

Apps load very fast and are extremely responsive.

Windows Hello; I love it. Just look at the phone even when wearing shades and the device unlocks it is a tad bit slow but it is in beta (for a beta app it runs very well)

Call quality is on par with every other Lumia device I have had in the past.

Build quality. while this device feels like a mid range device, it appears to be built like the Lumia 810/20 was and if my experience with my 810 is any indication, I should be able to use this device for the next 3+ years. The device is very light for it's size and feels comfortable in the hand. The device is the same size as a Lumia 830

Migration from a previous device to this device.

Migration was extremely painless I just logged into my new phone and it downloaded and setup my phone just like it was on my Lumia 830. The OS settings and application settings (for apps that support that) moved over without incident.

Network performance

LTE is OK and I have no issues watching full HD even when I am out in the sticks where I average about 20Mbits/sec When I am in the twin cities, the speed is about triple that.

WiFi performance is on par with the rest of the devices in my house in terms of download speeds roughly 50Mbps

Bluetooth has outstanding range on this phone. I have a Banana Boat BT speaker that I use in the bathroom and a Motorola Roaster 2 and both devices can maintain connection out to about 60 Ft from the phone

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

ill share my review but it'll be a four post review
Review for the Microsoft Lumia 950 (part 1)
Context: I figure I give some context before I start my review. I have come from the Nokia Lumia 810 and the Nokia Lumia 830. Those have been my main devices through the years. As you can tell I have been using windows phone since windows phone 8 but I have used iOS before I got my Lumia 810. I still use my iPod to this day. I am considered to be a medium user and as you can tell with my pervious devices I am a mid-range user so the 950 is overkill for me I don?t play any games on my phone but I do listen to music. I?ve always considered the 810 to be the best windows phone to date, there was something about the 810 that made me want to come back . With that being said now you know my background on phones and what led me to the 950

Intro:
I have always been a midrange phone user, I never really needed the high end specs of flagship phones. While using the 830 as my daily driver I have always missed my 810 because the 830 felt like I had to baby it around since it had an aluminum side and fear it would dent. When the 950 came out it looked so much like my 810, and when some reviews came out, some mentioned that it looked like the 810. I knew I wasn?t going to buy it any time soon but I had it in the back of my head that I was going to get the 950. Fast forward to April and something great happened. Microsoft was having a buy one 950 XL get one 950 free. At that moment I knew I was going to get the 950! When it came to my house I unboxed it and set it up. I used it for about 2 weeks putting it thought its paces to see if it really was like the 810 in the sense that it makes me want to come back to it. Will it pass my test or will it just be another Meh phone?

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Part 2
Hardware and specs:
The device feels sturdy in the hand, the type that you know doesn’t need a case. It has a hard soft plastic feel in the hand. The back cover is removable and upon close inspection the back edges have a slight curvature that molds to the hard stair edges of the 950. It feels like it contours to my hands. Supports Qi and PMA wireless changing. It’s not heavy at all in fact it’s the same weight as my 830 weighing in at 5.29 ounces. Now to move on my favorite part of the phone the screen. One thing that I have missed about my 810 was the AMOLED panel. I don’t mind LCD but with windows phone the deep blacks make windows phone pop. The ppi for this is at 564 compare that to the 217 on the 810 and 294 on the 830. To me that a lot of pixels but I don’t really care since I was fine with the 810 ppi. That being the text is sharp and can easily read it and I can see this screen in the northern California sun. There is a red tint when the room is dark. It’s great under normal circumstances but its only noticeable when the lights turn off and you can see it. The rest of the specs is as follows
Camera: 20 megapixel f 1.9 tri color flash
Storage: 32 GB (29 GB usable) expandable using SD card
Ram: 3GB
Battery: 3,000 mAh battery
SoC: snapdragon 808
Connections: USB Type-C
There is a cool thing in my opinion that I enjoy using. That is the Iris scanning infra-red camera that signs you in into the phone. While it doesn’t work 100% of the time it works for me 98%. It even works in the dark, how cool is that!

OS and daily usage:
on my 950 I am currently on build 10.0.10586.318 but at this time of the review I was on 10.0.10586.242. My day starts at 5 am everyday Monday through Thursday and ends at 4 pm. I go to school so as a student being connected is necessary considering the emails and texts and phone calls and occasional music playing. Windows 10 works with my college with setting up with exchange. So that’s a good sign. I have location setting on, cellular data on, Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth on, automatic brightness on, email is set to sync when things arrive. With that being said Battery life is awesome and lasts me through the whole day no problems
wp_ss_20160509_0002.jpgwp_ss_20160509_0004.jpgwp_ss_20160510_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160510_0002.jpg . I also have my Microsoft band connected on me. Texts come through and notifications show up. The band works fine on it. On a side note I was weary that the 950 would not be able to connect to T-Mobiles’ band 12. I went to ##3282## and to my eyes the EARFCN read: 5035 so I am glad it runs on T-Mobile native network. Don’t ask me if it has WI-FI calling that horse has been beat to death so much it still feels it in its death. It does get hot from time to time and I can feel it when I am jumping to Tapatalk to other apps. Maybe its tapatalk but I am not going to “hard reset my phone” that is whack to do that when it’s just one app. I font experience any lag or stutter. No apps crash on me and everything is responsive. There is one thing that people fail to mention is the sound quality with headphones while listing to music. I listen to music from my commute from where I live to my college. It’s a 45 min commute so music is a big part of my day. I still use my iPod touch 4th gen to listen to music. Comparing it to my iPod 4th gen the iPod blows the 950 out of the water when it comes to listening to music through headphones. It came out in 2010, that’s 6 years and MSFT still can’t make a phone that produces good sounding audio?! Don’t even get me started on how behind MSFT is against the 5th gen. other than that, that’s my only complaint.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

part 3
Camera: I enjoyed using the 830 as a main shooter though I was never found of the single LED flash. Luckily the 950 comes with a triple LED flash colors are pink (or magenta) cyan, and yellow. The camera is an upgrade from the 830 in the sense that it’s faster at taking pictures. Also I like the fact that it comes with stereo rich captures mics that still wows me every time. Thought one thing I noticed is that colors on pictures tend to be on the cooler side but I think that’s on images that has pink or magenta colors. I would post pictures but there is a whole thread dedicated to pictures ;)

Performance: first and for most I do not like benchmarking phones because it doesn’t tell you the whole story about a phone. It only tells how it compares to other phones. For the people who do like benchmarks here you go. wp_ss_20160513_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160513_0002.jpgwp_ss_20160513_0003.jpg

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Part 4
Conclusion: considering that it fits my needs (although overkill) and feels just like my 810, seriously it does, it is priced way too much at launch. If it was priced around 400$ I think it would be a great buy but for 540ish$ I wouldn’t of have bought it. Sure it has great features and works like another other smartphone, I think Microsoft missed its chance with the 950. In my opinion if you are coming from a X20 phone, I think it’s a great phone and a definite buy. If you are coming from a X30 phone that would depend, anything under the 830 yeah I think about the 950 anything over the 830 and I would hold off from upgrading. As for me this is the phone I was waiting for and MSFT did say it was for the fans and I’m happy with the 950. I’ll call it the 810 v2. Ill wrap it up with my pros and cons
Pros:
  • runs windows mobile 10 great
  • removable battery / SD expansion
  • lasts me a whole day
  • great camera
  • charges really fast
Cons
  • Expensive
  • Audio quality though headphones can’t compare to apple
  • Gets a bit hot under heavy loads
  • Only comes in white and black

Blomsternisse

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

The 950 is my first mobile Windows device, so here's my take on it (I've previously been using Apple iPhone 3g+5s, various Android devices, Nokia N9 with Meego Harmattan, BlackBerry Z10, etc).

Short version: Camera sucks, Continuum rocks, everything else is quite okay.

Long version:

Let's start with some positive remarks:
• Continuum is an awsome feature. I wouldn't do without it anymore. My work simply does not allow me to do private surfing, etc, on my work computer, but they have no policy against using a phone as a computer. I previously used an iPad Mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, but it didn't work that well with a keyboard and it had no mouse support.
• Mouse, keyboard and USB OTG support.
• Windows 10 Mobile applications look nice. Like a mix of Android and BlackBerry 10.
• USB-C is much nicer than the old Micro USB.
• Battery life is better than expected.
• I finally found out how to set up a PPTP VPN, and it works.
• A bit less restrictive than iOS. I can for example download a zip file with music files and unpack it to the SD card, and then later listen to those files using a music player of my choice. That simply isn't possible in iOS.
• I haven't used wireless charging, but I guess it could be a nice feature on caf?s and such.
• Most applications can be installed on the SD card, without feeling laggy. This is a great way to expand storage.
• The bottom row can be hidden with a swipe in Windows 10 Mobile applications.
• The hardware build quality isn't that bad. I do not agree with people saying it feels cheap. To me, it's quite solid. At least it won't shatter like phones made out of metal.
• Iris scanner is nice when it works. See the bad part too.
• Call quality is extremely good (the best I've ever experienced).
• The speakers are decent, but I tend not to enforce my music taste onto other people.
• The dialer is awsome, since one can use the "letters on the numbers" to quick dial. E.g. start typing 466453 to call Google ( :p ) (3 = def, 4 = ghi, 5 = jkl, 6 = mno).
• Glance screen is very nice and much more useful than e.g. notification LED:s. I really missed this from the Nokia N9 (but it works better in W10M where it much more configurable).
• UWP applications with Continuum support is really the future of mobile computing (forget x86 on a phone - ARM is still cheaper, less power hungry and brings much more competition to the market - i.e. is better for consumers). It's going to be interesting to see Google's solution (and whether or not Apple catches onto the idea).

The bad:
The camera sucks b***s in real world use. None of the reviews I've read use the camera the way I and many others use (the iPhone is still unbeatable in my humble opinion).
• The automatic white balance is waaaay off. The videos and images are too warm 95% of the time, and it doesn't look well. Trying to fix the images after shooting them isn't what I want from a camera in 2016.
• It cannot handle moving objects that well, and it has no continous burst mode like the iPhone, so capturing that special moment is really difficult (try using the 950 for photographing animals and children then you'll understand).
• Image filtering at high ISO values causes so much detail reduction that they could almost have removed the low light support altogether. It doesn't look well.
• Shooting video… OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.
• No automatic refocusing when using the on screen focus ring.
• Camera button seldom works right away (and yes, I know about the setting for stopping the camera to be accidentally lanched in e.g. the pocket).
• The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).
• Slow motion video is too low res. 480p? My iPhone 5s does 720p in 120 fps.

Other bad stuff:
• Windows Phone applications look ugly, waste too much space with the large fonts and unused areas. They're also extremely unstable on the 950 (constant problems resuming applications). There's a reason why I never bought into the Windows Phone eco system.
• Why can't I set the volume rockers to only control the playback audio, instead of both the playback and notification levels? The iPhone has it and it's great.
• There's no good software for editing videos as far as I've seen.
• Cortana isn't available in my region, so a lot of hyped features simply does not exist for me.
• The image viewer in Windows 10 Mobile isn't the same as in Windows 10. It has far fewer editing options.
• There's practically no bass in the analog audio output, but at least there's an equalizer so it can be partially rectified.
• The Mozo cases with painted edges. I've only had mine for 2 months now and the colours are wearing off.
• The iris scanner is basically useless when wearing glasses, lenses or being on the move. You really have to stand still to make it work. Entering a pin code is faster 9 out of 10 times.

Not directly related to the phone, but still relevant:
• The image gallery in Windows 10 (not mobile) cannot playback the videos I shoot with this phone without crashing. What?!

Improvements that I'd like to see:
• Windowed mode in Continuum.
• Running non-uwp/continuum enabled applications in windows (in Continuum).
• More correct colours in photos and videos.
• Higher resolution slow motion videos.
• Continous photo burst mode.
• Remove the search button. Bing is quite useless in my region and Cortana isn't supported either.
• When using the virtual touch pad, never show the virtual keyboard when a real keyboard is connected.
• Allow the use of the virtual touch pad upside down. The USB cable is in the way for the arm to comfortably rest on the table.

Final remarks:
Would I recommend the phone to other people? Depends. Are you often in need of photographing children and/or animals? Get an iPhone. Do you require the absolute latest and greatest applications ? Get an iPhone. Are you tired of iPhone/Android and wish to try something different? Get the Lumia 950. Do you want to partially replace your computer with your phone? Get the Lumia 950. Do you like iOS but think it's a bit too closed, but still want something more secure than Android? Get the Lumia 950.

Last edited:

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

Hi, I have had my 950 for almost 3 months now. I love it but I have a couple of problems which are:

1. HEAT: I realized that phone heats up. After testing and playing around I realized the reason behind the heat is the Facebook APP.. If I use Twitter APP or Instagram or YouTube via EDGE is doesn't heat up. I think the problem is with Facebook APP! I with they can make a better app. It's very slow and loading is terrible and uploading pics is terrible as well.

2. Battery is good. I always disconnect location and Bluetooth to avoid battery drain. Otherwise is goes through the day without charging.

3. Onedrive APP is slow comparing it to iPhone and Android. It opens faster on my iPhone. Which i see very strange. It's an Windows thing how can apple beat Lumia in this?

4. UBER APP sucks.. I always have issues with the map integration. UBER APP on iPhone and Android is 1000 times better in performance and looks. I really think they should find a solution for this issue.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

The 950 is my first mobile Windows device, so here's my take on it (I've previously been using Apple iPhone 3g+5s, various Android devices, Nokia N9 with Meego Harmattan, BlackBerry Z10, etc).

Short version: Camera sucks, Continuum rocks, everything else is quite okay.

Long version:

Let's start with some positive remarks:
• Continuum is an awsome feature. I wouldn't do without it anymore. My work simply does not allow me to do private surfing, etc, on my work computer, but they have no policy against using a phone as a computer. I previously used an iPad Mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, but it didn't work that well with a keyboard and it had no mouse support.
• Mouse, keyboard and USB OTG support.
• Windows 10 Mobile applications look nice. Like a mix of Android and BlackBerry 10.
• USB-C is much nicer than the old Micro USB.
• Battery life is better than expected.
• I finally found out how to set up a PPTP VPN, and it works.
• A bit less restrictive than iOS. I can for example download a zip file with music files and unpack it to the SD card, and then later listen to those files using a music player of my choice. That simply isn't possible in iOS.
• I haven't used wireless charging, but I guess it could be a nice feature on caf?s and such.
• Most applications can be installed on the SD card, without feeling laggy. This is a great way to expand storage.
• The bottom row can be hidden with a swipe in Windows 10 Mobile applications.
• The hardware build quality isn't that bad. I do not agree with people saying it feels cheap. To me, it's quite solid. At least it won't shatter like phones made out of metal.
• Iris scanner is nice when it works. See the bad part too.

The bad:
The camera sucks b***s in real world use. None of the reviews I've read use the camera the way I and many others use (the iPhone is still unbeatable in my humble opinion).
• The automatic white balance is waaaay off. The videos and images are too warm 95% of the time, and it doesn't look well. Trying to fix the images after shooting them isn't what I want from a camera in 2016.
• It cannot handle moving objects that well, and it has no continous burst mode like the iPhone, so capturing that special moment is really difficult (try using the 950 for photographing animals and children then you'll understand).
• Image filtering at high ISO values causes so much detail reduction that they could almost have removed the low light support altogether. It doesn't look well.
• Shooting video… OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.
• No automatic refocusing when using the on screen focus ring.
• Camera button seldom works right away (and yes, I know about the setting for stopping the camera to be accidentally lanched in e.g. the pocket).
• The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).
• Slow motion video is too low res. 480p? My iPhone 5s does 720p in 120 fps.

Other bad stuff:
• Windows Phone applications look ugly, waste too much space with the large fonts and unused areas. They're also extremely unstable on the 950 (constant problems resuming applications). There's a reason why I never bought into the Windows Phone eco system.
• Why can't I set the volume rockers to only control the playback audio, instead of both the playback and notification levels? The iPhone has it and it's great.
• There's no good software for editing videos as far as I've seen.
• Cortana isn't available in my region, so a lot of hyped features simply does not exist for me.
• The image viewer in Windows 10 Mobile isn't the same as in Windows 10. It has far fewer editing options.
• There's practically no bass in the analog audio output, but at least there's an equalizer so it can be partially rectified.
• The Mozo cases with painted edges. I've only had mine for 2 months now and the colours are wearing off.
• The iris scanner is basically useless when wearing glasses, lenses or being on the move. You really have to stand still to make it work. Entering a pin code is faster 9 out of 10 times.

Not directly related to the phone, but still relevant:
• The image gallery in Windows 10 (not mobile) cannot playback the videos I shoot with this phone without crashing. What?!

Improvements that I'd like to see:
• Windowed mode in Continuum.
• Running non-uwp/continuum enabled applications in windows (in Continuum).
• More correct colours in photos and videos.
• Higher resolution slow motion videos.
• Continous photo burst mode.
• Remove the search button. Bing is quite useless in my region and Cortana isn't supported either.
• When using the virtual touch pad, never show the virtual keyboard when a real keyboard is connected.
• Allow the use of the virtual touch pad upside down. The USB cable is in the way for the arm to comfortably rest on the table.

Final remarks:
Would I recommend the phone to other people? Depends. Are you often in need of photographing children and/or animals? Get an iPhone. Do you require the absolute latest and greatest applications ? Get an iPhone. Are you tired of iPhone/Android and wish to try something different? Get the Lumia 950. Do you want to partially replace your computer with your phone? Get the Lumia 950. Do you like iOS but think it's a bit too closed, but still want something more secure than Android? Get the Lumia 950.

Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Are you a photographer? I ask because for most people the camera is amazing and perhaps a trained eye spots things an untrained eye can't? I personally think it's fantastic.

Shooting video? OIS ruins the videos. Too much lens distortions during motion looks way worse than a shaky camera.

I have seen this happen as well. Also doesn't work well at a concert when the lights are constantly changing. It keeps trying to focus.

The camera crashes in roughly 1 of 15 times, bringing down the whole phone (running stable releases).

Yeah, unfortunately I've had the camera crap out on me. Hardware? Software? Who knows, doesn't matter. It crashes too often.

I agree with a few of your other non-camera points as well.

Blomsternisse

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

Are you a photographer? I ask because for most people the camera is amazing and perhaps a trained eye spots things an untrained eye can't? I personally think it's fantastic.

I have seen this happen as well. Also doesn't work well at a concert when the lights are constantly changing. It keeps trying to focus.

Yeah, unfortunately I've had the camera crap out on me. Hardware? Software? Who knows, doesn't matter. It crashes too often.

I agree with a few of your other non-camera points as well.

No, I'm not a photographer - I'm not even close to an amature photographer, but some things are so incredible easy to spot. A few things I mentioned already, but I'll try to be more specific (I only use automatic mode by the way) :

1. Automatic white balance isn't very good. The images tend to be too warm (lower colour temperature), which is a problem when I photograph one of my dogs who have similar colours to a Golden Retriever. His colours turn out to be almost neon orange when using the 950.

2. The focusing is poor even in good light, and it does not refocus unless you hammer the screen. Since the 950 camera has such a low f-number (very short depth of field), they should probably have equipped it with a laser based metering system like Samsung's Galaxy S7 (which happens to be very fast and accurate). I have no idea how iPhone does it algorithmically, but it does it better than the 950.

3. It might be a combination of too large images, slow (cheap?) internal flash storage and/or software, but a lot of times the camera just stalls/hangs with a text saying "Saving..." for 5-10 seconds. The iPhone spoiled me, since it has never ever happened on Apple's hardware.

4. I tend to photograph moving objects (mostly animals), which doesn't work very well when the focusing is poor (and the exposure is too long? I haven't looked at the exposure times). Apple's software seems to have a different strategy where it takes higher ISO numbers with shorter exposure times and heavier filtering, even in well lit situations. This leads to sharper looking images when there's a lot of movement (even though it's quite heavily filtered). Unlimited (well, except storage wise) continous burst shooting (10 fps) also helps a lot on the iPhone where the object is moving.

5. In the latest stable W10M release, the camera often starts up with "Resuming..." for a second or two. Not very nice.

Nonetheless, I still like the 950 and have great hopes for it. I'll carry it as long as possible. Android doesn't interest me anymore and iOS is a bit too limited for my taste after using W10M.

Blomsternisse

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.

Besides all the negativity concerning the camera, I still have a very positive stance towards the 950. :) It's easier to highlight the negative experiences than the positive ones. I'll try to add a few more positive ones.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Screen: Excellent
Speed: Ok (its about as fast as an iPhone 6.)
Camera: Excellent
Build Quality: Ok
Battery drain: Bad (upwards of 10% during use.)
Other mentions: Hate the onscreen buttons, take up too much space.

vinamilk111

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site

Whenever I look at the Microsoft Lumia 950, it scans my eyes, winks at me and unlocks with the words "Hello, Matt" ? as if it knows me and wants to flirt. In a way, I feel like I recognize it, too. And, I won't lie, I kind of like it back ? just not that much.

It reminds me of my first true smartphone, the Audiovox SMT 5600, a rebranded HTC Typhoon, before HTC even sold phones. It was small, so it looked like an everyday phone and, importantly for me at the time, it ran Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Microsoft Lumia 950 reviewMore than a decade later, that's once again the appeal of the Lumia 950. It looks, feels and runs like your average-sized Android phone. Only the phone's operating system is Windows 10 Mobile, much to the benefit of Microsoft's diehard fans and PC holdouts.

Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 (32GB) at Amazon for $443.49
This 5.2-inch phone does try a few interesting tricks so that it's not too basic. Its iris-scanning technology makes for a nifty unlock method and Continuum lets me scale the software to TV proportions for a useful desktop-like mode.

Lumia 950 lays the foundation for Windows 10 Mobile, and it's off to a better start, even if Lumia sales are dismal. I felt like that about the Audiovox SMT 5600, too, before the Redmond company blew it in mobile.

But now it's up against the best phones ever made, like the similarly-sized Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 6S, LG G4 and Nexus 5X. Does it really have what it takes to win converts from iOS and Android, or keep Windows Phone 8.1 users from defecting? Clearly, it's not that simple.
My site: Tiny Tanks Tiny Planes Carracing Game Donkey Kong Unblocked

slakberi

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

Have you used continuum on the 950 extensively? Is the processor fast enough to hand it or does it feel sluggish?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans