[Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Detailed Review

Hello,

* Further I had 2 strange things. The 2nd day I could not hear anyone when I answered an telephone call. They could hear me. When put on speaker mode, they could hear me and I them. Had to restart the phone. Solved it for that day.
The day after (3rd day) the sync to OneDrive stopped. No errors, it just didn't sync. Had to reboot. And that solved the issue.

Well, it's Windows, isn't it? 99% issues are fixed with rebooting :)

For video edditor look here

Subrata Jana

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Turn off screen: Setting ->personalisation ->Navigation bar; Wake up phone: Setting ->Personalisation ->Look Screen

Subrata Jana

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Use Cool unique features: 1. Use Cortana without touching the phone, just ask something or tell to do something like play music, wake me up at 6pm , open FB apps, where am i and may more 2. IPhone and android is using fingerprint scanner while we are using iris scanner to open lock screen 3. Use of glance screen 4. Gesture 5. Outlook Mail 6. File (windows) explorer. (i am using windows phone last 4-5years, my first device was Lumia 520. And presently i am using Lumia 640XL & Lumia 950)

Subrata Jana

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

To blackherri: Video edit feature is inbuilt with MS Photo apps. Just open photo apps , click on any video, then u will see video edit icon.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Really wish you hadn't closed that other thread. My father was reading through there as he is considering a 950 and I linked him to this site. The posts on that thread were a different tone and substance than this thread. This thread has some reviews and discussions about problems, the other thread was more of people just getting it and posting their impressions as the thread title suggested.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Really wish you hadn't closed that other thread. My father was reading through there as he is considering a 950 and I linked him to this site. The posts on that thread were a different tone and substance than this thread. This thread has some reviews and discussions about problems, the other thread was more of people just getting it and posting their impressions as the thread title suggested.

You should tell your dad to bookmark that thread and continue to read through it. I think both of these threads would be super helpful to read, but keep in mind that some issues may or may not be dated, since it might be related to issues before the AU update.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My apologies for the double post in advance but I didn't want to have a wall of text AND a response to the previous post before my post. I don't know how long this would be but I am kind of re-reviewing if that makes sense, after a week of using it.

Here's my original review, back in August 2016. A number of things in the OS seems to have changed, along with some adjustments to my statements. No point in modifying the short version, I'll be focused on the long one.

-The 950 continues to feel great in the hand. The Mozo backs are even better with upping that feeling! No hand strain to report, even though it is my biggest phone (it's slightly wider and taller than my Honor 8, and yes I still own the SE).
-The cameras are still solid for the most part, especially the rear one. The selfie camera is also good but not the best in low light when it comes to skin tones. It does seem like the "finishing touches" time has gone down by a lot, and I like that. Additionally the camera seems to be improved a little bit too. Still not one for HDR.
-The app situation is fine with me thanks to reasonable substitutions. I used to use Edge to read my books but now I use Monument Browser and it seems to be better than Edge. Instagram is lacking very little in comparison to it's apps on iOS and Android.
-I think I gave the battery life too much of a pass before. It was bad! Since then, the battery life has actually improved but it still falls short of my iPhone and Honor 8. I get about 22-24 hours, so this is a daily charge phone for me even though battery saver can push it to be a day and 2 hours.
-I spoke too soon about bugginess before, as I had experienced a few random restarts after my post. With this unit, I'm happy to report that I haven't had that issue. This seems like this is really dependent on each individual phone itself.
-I'm not sure if the iris scanner has improved or if I have just gotten better with it. It could be both though, but it has recognized me most of the time (around 75%) which has been very nice.
-I noted a delayed response before with the power button and the like, and I have to say that has been resolved or it just hasn't happened to me.

I'm glad that I got it again. The cameras are still good and performance is fine with me. Just battery life doesn't leave much to be desired but it doesn't activate my battery anxiety though. I finally feel like I am not compromising as much with the 950 and that feels great.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
After all i came to the conclusion that the 950 is crap (battery drain) and Microsoft doesn't give me any reason to believe that there is hope for Windows on phones in the near future. I'm so tired of the surface phone-fairy tales which have no substance and those baseless stories about "why windows mobile/on phones isn't dead". JUST GIVE US ANYTHING MICROSOFT OR DIE. My and other people's loyalty for such a long time has been ridiculous. Shame on me. I hate to say: Long live our Androîd-masters.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
After all i came to the conclusion that the 950 is crap (battery drain) and Microsoft doesn't give me any reason to believe that there is hope for Windows on phones in the near future. I'm so tired of the surface phone-fairy tales which have no substance and those baseless stories about "why windows mobile/on phones isn't dead". JUST GIVE US ANYTHING MICROSOFT OR DIE. My and other people's loyalty for such a long time has been ridiculous. Shame on me. I hate to say: Long live our Androîd-masters.

You're silly(flamingo)
Now go have a drink and everything will be fine in the morning.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You're silly(flamingo)
Now go have a drink and everything will be fine in the morning.

I like how they say just give us anything when Microsoft is GIVING us monthly updates. I want to know how many Androids are getting that outside of Blackberry, and the Pixels.
In that I'm counting security patches as well.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I like how they say just give us anything when Microsoft is GIVING us monthly updates. I want to know how many Androids are getting that outside of Blackberry, and the Pixels.
In that I'm counting security patches as well.

Yup. Constant updates direct from the grave. Must have a direct link or something. 🤣

Ddesanctis

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have to take a decision regarding my Lumia 950. It has been about 4 months that is broken, I need to replace the display, but up until now I have been using an old iPhone 5 as a back up. Unfortunately the iPhone has started messing around and I am having huge battery issues.

So, I think is time to either decide to repair the Lumia 950, which would cost about 200$, or buy a new battery for the iPhone and stick with it for 3-4 months more.

To be honest, I do miss the Windows OS experience and the amazing camera. However, when I think about the constant problems that I had with Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps, I do not feel like fixing the Lumia... I am not an "app junkie" and I was not missing any essential app in Windows, so my decision would be, basically, based on the current performance of the already existing apps.

Have Facebook and Messenger apps been improved? When I was using them before, Messenger for example, would froze and force me to restart the phone to use it.

Thanks for your help!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have to take a decision regarding my Lumia 950. It has been about 4 months that is broken, I need to replace the display, but up until now I have been using an old iPhone 5 as a back up. Unfortunately the iPhone has started messing around and I am having huge battery issues.

So, I think is time to either decide to repair the Lumia 950, which would cost about 200$, or buy a new battery for the iPhone and stick with it for 3-4 months more.

To be honest, I do miss the Windows OS experience and the amazing camera. However, when I think about the constant problems that I had with Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps, I do not feel like fixing the Lumia... I am not an "app junkie" and I was not missing any essential app in Windows, so my decision would be, basically, based on the current performance of the already existing apps.

Have Facebook and Messenger apps been improved? When I was using them before, Messenger for example, would froze and force me to restart the phone to use it.

Thanks for your help!

Facebook hasn't been updated in a while, and same for Messenger. 3rd party solutions is what a good amount of people use for FB. You're going to have to go with what it is best for you. If I'm not mistaken, it costs $95 to replace any battery for any iPhone at the Apple Store.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I am using the original Microsoft (pre-installed) Facebook app and that is working fine on my 950 (production ring). No problems with Messenger but I don't use it that much. I did try the "official" Facebook Facebook app, but found it slow and laggy and a very large install compared to the Microsoft version. Uninstalled the Facebook version with no regrets.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

I've been using my 950 for about 6 weeks now. I'm generally quite pleased.

The display is excellent, and it makes non-hardware buttons a non-issue, with a dark theme. I was expecting to hate this coming from a 1020. The screen size is great. Big enough to be very readable and show lots of any image or webpage, but not so big as to not fit in pockets or need two hands.

The phone runs the OS buttery smooth. I almost never see a "resuming..." screen, which was a constant on my 1020. That said, it comes with a price. The battery life is OK. Not as good as my 1020 in its prime, where it was easy to get 2 days. But 1 day is no sweat, even a day and a quarter. Either way, I always top it off when I have the chance, as I'm rarely without my laptop. It gets rather warm under load, but not hot. Fast charging is cool, but I tend to prefer USB C charging from my laptop, to strain the battery less and generate less heat.

The camera is excellent, and almost always beats my wife's iPhone 6. Comparing it to a friend's Galaxy Note 7, it seems about tied. It doesn't match my 1020 on landscape shots (very little does, maybe only iPhone 7 Plus), but for close-up family pictures it is way better due to speed. Burst mode is a godsend for fast-moving kids.

I adore the ability to expand storage and replace batteries. 32gb of storage was my main beef with the 1020 (in addition to speed of internals). I don't really get criticisms of the exterior aesthetics. I was dubious of the camera ring when I saw the previews, but I adore it now, as well as the shiny Windows logo. I have it in a clear TPU case and I always enjoy looking at it.

W10M is mostly a lot of fun to use. Microsoft's own apps are superior to their W8.1 counterparts. Facebook and Messenger finally have feature parity (if not speed parity) with their Android/iOS counterparts. Outlook Mail is superb. Settings is better. Edge is waaaaay better at rendering pages than IE on 8.1, and it still has reading mode, which I love. Unfortunately, there are still bugs (I'm on release preview). Sharing from News and other apps doesn't work to Facebook (FACEBOOK! The one thing people want to share to...) and require copy and paste workarounds for links. The notification screen just started sending me to the wrong email in the past day. So it's hit and miss. I love the constant updates, but they keep screwing up some of the very basics, which I never once had a problem with on 8.1.

Also, the W10M word flow keyboard sucks compared to 8.1. A real pain to use, since it only gets about 75% right/close. Grr...

Overall, I'm glad I waited until it was $300. I find myself wondering if things would have been different with a $399 street price on release.

Very well put, I loved reading your input. Thanks :)

Cheers

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
On my 950 running Release Preview, I can report that there are no crash bugs with FB or Messenger. They load a bit slowly compared to the other apps on my phone, but work fine.

May 2, 2013
Visit site
:straight: Okay. Now I am nervous. I have been with Windows phone since wp7. I currently have a 640XL. It has been a great phone but it's slow due to the upgrades of apps , etc. I ordered a 950 and it's due here tomorrow. I am confused with all the comments. Battery life is a big thing with me. My 640 only has to be charged once daily. It lasts forever. I am hoping the 950 is close. I will not use 'retina scan', etc. I am worried about Microsoft not keeping Windows Mobile. If they are not, then why are they charging SO much for them? I did buy an Android to try it. Mostly because of the apps. I am an in-between user. I use mostly what they have anyway but I cannot get an app for my doc/health site, grocery store, the bank, cvs, etc. Apps are half the reason for the convenient smart phone experience. I loved that part of the Android, but the battery life was horrible and I sent it back. Next I tried an 'extra' iPhone 6 of a friend. What a pain in the backside. Just the setup alone was very tedious. I think they are over-rated. On the off side, iPhone is 'too' much. So I guess my question is, "Am I going to regret that I spent almost $400 (which happens to be a real lot of money for me) for a new windows phone? Yikes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos