Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

All of my settings and contacts synced perfectly (including my alarms).

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

a__666c.jpg

UPDATE:

I just tried some more stuff, including dropping the brightness slider down to 0%. I then pushed it back to 100%. I did not use the brightness button in the action center. It seems brighter now. I'd probably say it's about 90% as bright as the 930 all though not quite.

Here's an updated photo. Automatic brightness was off in both cases, so I'm not sure what caused that. It may just be a software glitch.

I'd recommend not using the swipe down action center brightness button. Go to All Settings -> System-> Display and use the slider instead.

a__0155.jpg
    Last edited by Tempest790; 11-18-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    11-18-2015 03:48 PM
    I seriously hope the brightness is fixed in an update...that is a lot dimmer.
    11-18-2015 04:10 PM
    Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

All of my settings and contacts synced perfectly (including my alarms).

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A__666C.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	116707
    Awesome thanks. But the blacks look way better on the 950 which should be the case for oled screens. So really the 950 is doing a better job as it's producing richer blacks which in turn makes it look less bright. Overall the colours are more accurate etc.. The 930 actually looks really bad to me. Some software customization could create brighter levels outside the dark spectrum. But it's literally producing it how it should be. I think it will improve in time though, whether through software or firmware.
    11-18-2015 04:13 PM
    But the blacks look way better on the 950 which should be the case for oled screens. So really the 950 is doing a better job as it's producing richer blacks which in turn makes it look less bright. Overall the colours are more accurate etc.. The 930 actually looks really bad to me.
    The 930 is OLED as well...

Screen is not as good as the 930.
    Did you tweak the Brightness and Color Profiles??? Are you satisfied that is as good as it gets?

Quick first impressions:
    So it is... And this is the full review thread. So I'm copying your post over there and urging others to follow up on quick impressions in the appropriate thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...mia-950-a.html

IMHO, If you just got the device in your hand today, it is likely way too soon for a review. I usually wait a minimum of 2 weeks before I review a device.
    11-18-2015 04:20 PM
    Well, i guess if you asked random people on the street 80 % would prefer the 930. And why should i wait and hope for improvements when i have to pay 600 € now instead of 400 € first and 200 € after fixes have been delivered.
    The first impressions confuse me. I begin to believe that the 920 was and will be the top windows phone forever.
    avi_920 likes this.
    11-18-2015 04:47 PM
    The first impressions confuse me. I begin to believe that the 920 was and will be the top windows phone forever.
    Not way! The dust build up on the front facing camera was one of the biggest oversights I had with any Nokia phone I owned. My N9 felt better in every sense. I also wasn't a fan of the weight feeling of the 920.
    11-18-2015 05:05 PM
    Entire conversation moved: It is not on topic for the in-depth review thread.
    11-18-2015 05:11 PM
    The 930 is OLED as well...

Did you tweak the Brightness and Color Profiles??? Are you satisfied that is as good as it gets?

So it is... And this is the full review thread. So I'm copying your post over there and urging others to follow up on quick impressions in the appropriate thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...mia-950-a.html

IMHO, If you just got the device in your hand today, it is likely way too soon for a review. I usually wait a minimum of 2 weeks before I review a device.

I know it's oled but im saying that it's not doing as good of a job producing blacks/shadows. It's oversaturated too.
    11-18-2015 05:21 PM
    I know it's oled... It's oversaturated too.
    I though that was all OLED did was oversaturate. I don't like it. But that's me. I'm frequently in the minority.

I just don't see enough of the "pure blacks" to wow me and get me over the eye blistering glare of the overblown colors and the failure to be readable in sunlight.

BTW, when you are that glaring and overblown, how do you then fail in direct sunlight? Seems counter intuitive, but they manage it somehow.

[/rant]
    11-18-2015 05:27 PM
    Not way! The dust build up on the front facing camera was one of the biggest oversights I had with any Nokia phone I owned. My N9 felt better in every sense. I also wasn't a fan of the weight feeling of the 920.
    N9? Is that you, grandpa?
    11-18-2015 05:58 PM
    It seems to be a software glitch with the brightness button on the action center and/or the slider in settings...
    Tempest790 likes this.
    11-18-2015 06:01 PM
    N9? Is that you, grandpa?
    Hahaha, damn kids these days... I guess that you also don't know that the original iPhone 4 did come out more than a year before the N9. Now, get off my lawn!!
    11-18-2015 06:36 PM
    Thank god, I was kinda worried about this. Glad to know it's just a software issue that will hopefully be fixed.

I have a feeling MS will push an update out real soon to deal with the first round of issues.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-18-2015 06:54 PM
    I just don't see enough of the "pure blacks" to wow me and get me over the eye blistering glare of the overblown colors and the failure to be readable in sunlight.
    I agree. Every OLED display I have seen (inc. about 4x 930's on display in stores) has a tint on the whites as well, often blue, green or yellow, where a decent LCD generally looks much whiter to me. I don't watch movies or TV shows on my phone or even look at pictures, I prefer to do that on my Tablet/PC/TV, and I think those are the big cases for true blacks. The off-white text and webpage backgrounds are more concerning for my day to day use.

BUT one thing I do really like is Glance. I would love to use it as a bedside clock but having the whole LCD faintly glowing at me all night hasn't be a great experience and I'm really keen to try the 950s OLED display in this regard.

I like OLED displays, or at least the idea of them, on smartwatches too. I think the deep blacks work well for an 'always on' display and they let the device achieve a more 'physical' and 'real' feel, much better emulating a traditional watch.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-18-2015 07:44 PM
    I though that was all OLED did was oversaturate. I don't like it. But that's me. I'm frequently in the minority.

BTW, when you are that glaring and overblown, how do you then fail in direct sunlight? Seems counter intuitive, but they manage it somehow.

[/rant]
    I believe the high lcd light is about minimizing blacks which tend to glare badly against glass. Could also be why a lot of apps are being made gray so that you can minimize glare. But I think a software solution for a sunlight feature could turn on the oleds where black is supposed to be and make them less black. Who knows. May just be an issue they will fix later on. I wonder if sunlight readability is off by default on the new phones. Auto and that feature should help, my bros 925 isn't as good as my 830 in Sun but it's decent
    11-19-2015 07:49 AM
    When I've had OLED phones like the 925 and 928, I've used a matte screen protector. That helps. But they have never equaled the readability of a good IPS LCD. Besides, I'd rather have a Tempered Glass protector and those don't come in anti glare that I've ever seen...

When I have my phone in my dash top mount I want to see the nav. And I want it dash top so my eyes find it without leaving the windshield area. LOVE the HUD in Here Drive.
    11-19-2015 10:14 AM
    When I've had OLED phones like the 925 and 928, I've used a matte screen protector. That helps. But they have never equaled the readability of a good IPS LCD. Besides, I'd rather have a Tempered Glass protector and those don't come in anti glare that I've ever seen...

When I have my phone in my dash top mount I want to see the nav. And I want it dash top so my eyes find it without leaving the windshield area. LOVE the HUD in Here Drive.
    I'm almost willing to bet they won't make one for a lumia, but they do make them:

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorGlas-Anti...pUvbUpU3299440
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-19-2015 10:21 AM
    I agree. Every OLED display I have seen (inc. about 4x 930's on display in stores) has a tint on the whites as well, often blue, green or yellow, where a decent LCD generally looks much whiter to me.
    A properly calibrated display should be slightly warm. Displays in stores tend to have the brightness cranked up and typically tend towards blue. Most people get accustomed to that color temperature and perceive it as white, but it isn't really accurate.

The only OLED displays I've seen that look particularly unnatural are those on Samsung devices. They love to crank up the saturation and contrast because they know that consumers like it. It's the same reason that Sony cameras have traditionally produced overly saturated photos.

The display on my 950 is the one thing I really have no complaints about. Don't forget that you can calibrate colors on this phone, so you should be able to get it closer to your preference.
    11-19-2015 02:55 PM
    The display on my 950 is the one thing I really have no complaints about. Don't forget that you can calibrate colors on this phone, so you should be able to get it closer to your preference.
    Calibrate the colors of the display? How do you do that?

11-19-2015 03:36 PM
    Calibrate the colors of the display? How do you do that?

You can change the colour profile under display settings. Heck this option is even on 8.1
    11-19-2015 03:45 PM
    You can change the colour profile under display settings. Heck this option is even on 8.1
    Gotcha, I'm new to WP. Most android phones don't have this feature.

r2SN likes this.
    11-19-2015 04:06 PM
    A properly calibrated display should be slightly warm. Displays in stores tend to have the brightness cranked up and typically tend towards blue. Most people get accustomed to that color temperature and perceive it as white, but it isn't really accurate.
    I'd call the 930 displays I've seen more than 'warm', tbh the whites looked like a shade of yellow to me rather than just off-white. Especially if, as you say, the in-store display devices tend towards blue. I am definitely a layman when it comes to displays and calibration but my Lumia 920 display, in terms of whites at least, is pretty close to the colours on my SP3 display (I think my Surface is actually a little bit blue but the display rates well in lab tests) and my IPS monitor that came 'factory calibrated' (for what that's worth) and it's my 920 that I've used as a comparison (or at least a known 'baseline') when I've seen a phone in-store that looked a bit off.

I have a 950 on pre-order so I'll see how I feel after a month with it. Maybe I'll look at my 920 then and find it hideous.
    11-19-2015 04:20 PM
    Well, the nice thing about the color calibration feature is that the range is pretty big so I'm fairly confident you can get the display closer to your liking.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-19-2015 05:01 PM
    I'd call the 930 displays I've seen more than 'warm', tbh the whites looked like a shade of yellow to me rather than just off-white. Especially if, as you say, the in-store display devices tend towards blue. I am definitely a layman when it comes to displays and calibration but my Lumia 920 display, in terms of whites at least, is pretty close to the colours on my SP3 display (I think my Surface is actually a little bit blue but the display rates well in lab tests) and my IPS monitor that came 'factory calibrated' (for what that's worth) and it's my 920 that I've used as a comparison (or at least a known 'baseline') when I've seen a phone in-store that looked a bit off.

I have a 950 on pre-order so I'll see how I feel after a month with it. Maybe I'll look at my 920 then and find it hideous.
    You can always change the colour temperature and tint to change the yellow hue. Crank the slider to blue and you are good to go.
    11-20-2015 04:55 AM