Dangerously close to getting rid of my Galaxy S6 edge for the Lumia 950

Shane_B

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone going to talk me off of the ledge?

I'm just sick of Samsungs hot phones and draining battery issues. Have been dealing with this since the Galaxy s3 enough is enough.

How is the maps app on the Lumia? I use Google maps pretty heavily and it's a life saver at times.

Also do you think that bank of America might release another banking app for Windows 10? That's another thing that I use pretty often to deposit checks from my phone.

Thanks for whatever help comes my way. If it sounds good I'll probably go pick up the phone tomorrow.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
HERE is pretty good with the maps and there's a third party GMaps app. Some people like the "premium" navigation apps, but I don't know about those

I wouldn't count on Bank of America. One of my banks (USAA) has a great app for Windows. The other (Navy Federal) gas none. I use my GS5 if I need to deposit to that one.

Posted from this here device.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if there were an option that integrates the best of Android (lots of apps) with the best of Windows Mobile (solid, secure, tightly integrated OS). It's not a popular view on this forum, but I think iOS comes closest to doing both, though at the cost of a more tightly-controlled user interface.

The Windows apps and the apps inherited from Lumia are mostly very good. I've been very happy with Here Maps and Here Transit -- I think you're in pretty good shape in that category. If Continuum and the enterprise features are attractive to you, WM is a very solid choice. But, for 3rd-party apps in categories like banking, travel, social media, games, and smarthome control, the app gap is pretty big and not likely to close any time soon -- Windows Mobile market share has been shinking of late, and it's too soon to tell if the combination of WM10 and the new phones will make a significant difference. (Microsoft was in the smart phone business before Apple or Google, but so far they have not shown that they know how to become a major player in the consumer space; if they succeed, it will be as a niche player in the enterprise space.) For some people, the app gap is a big deal, and for others it isn't. It comes down to what you want from a smartphone.

Personally, I just shifted to an iPhone 6s. I've only had one Android phone, and it only took me a few weeks to conclude that the Android OS is an ungainly mess, so I don't see that as an option.

I still have my Lumia Icon, but the app gap was getting to be too big a nuisance. The nail in the coffin is that the 950 won't be available on Verizon any time soon, if ever, and leaving Big Red doesn't work for me.

So far the 6s is doing everything I want, and doing it very well. Even though I hated to lose wireless charging and the control over the interface that WM offers, I feel like it's a big step forward.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
As an owner of a Lumia 950 I can tell you the following:

1) The overall feeling of the phone is that it is nice, and light. It's not as "sexy looking" as the Galaxy S6 Edge though - if that matters to you at all... But I suppose that's up to individual preference

2) The new maps app included in Windows 10 is very good. I find myself wanting to use it over Here. For my needs it's just as good as Google Maps - but again everyone has their own preference.

3) Bank of America may come back if Win 10 keeps growing. No guarantees...

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly... this phone feels way too "beta" for me to say you'd be gaining much of anything positive by making the jump to the 950. I've had about 30 hours to play with it now, and I don't really think I' recommend it.

I moved from my L830 & L640XL to an iPhone 6, and then an iPhone 6S, and the experience on those devices are just way more solid. It's unfortunate, but very true.

For reference, I've used MANY older WM phones, I had an HTC Titan, L900, L920, L1020 L1520, L635, L640XL and L830 before purchasing the L950. I've also got an LG G4 on Android, and my iPhone 6 and 6S, and while I don't think Android is a great phone OS at all, the iPhone is definitely still king in terms of overall usability and device experience.

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
HERE is pretty good with the maps and there's a third party GMaps app. Some people like the "premium" navigation apps, but I don't know about those

You won't be using HERE maps app on Windows 10. As someone else pointed out WIndows 10 has a maps app that includes offline maps, custom speed alerts, voice navigation, turn by turn, etc. It's feature rich, however Google Maps will probably always be viewed as the superior map platform. Windows 10 is also 3rd place in Apps, so as you can guess it's not top priority for most companies.

I'd like to point out one really important point...we have 6 to 9 core processors in these Lumias. It's a computer...I access the BofA website through the phone's browser, just as I did on my 1020 (but obviously way faster on my new 950).

If you are a games and app focused user, maybe stay on Android. If you want a fresh UI with a lot of upside potential (continuum, univiersal OS, windows hello, etc) go windows phone.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone going to talk me off of the ledge?

I'm just sick of Samsungs hot phones and draining battery issues. Have been dealing with this since the Galaxy s3 enough is enough.

How is the maps app on the Lumia? I use Google maps pretty heavily and it's a life saver at times.

Also do you think that bank of America might release another banking app for Windows 10? That's another thing that I use pretty often to deposit checks from my phone.

Thanks for whatever help comes my way. If it sounds good I'll probably go pick up the phone tomorrow.

I switched over from Samsung to Lumia after 4 Samsung Phones with Android. My last Samsung which my wife is using is an S4. She got that after I bought a Lumia 830. I have never looked back or had second thoughts. And now I bought a Lumia 950 and will be giving my wife my 830. I enjoy the reliability of the Lumia with Windows 10 on my 830 and I do not miss the Android apps at all! I was a long standing rooter of all my Android phones and played with many setups of the phones.
It's nice to have a phone that does what I want it to and do not have to worry about the Operating system working or not. I got hit by that Android bug and had to wipe the phone completely and start from stock.
I will be staying with Windows phones and enjoying the increased support that is coming in the future.
Go developers!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect: what a bunch of drama queens...

It's just a phone; many attractive, advanced, safe-enough choices -out and continuously coming; though all quite imperfect.

For the phone-risk-averse, wait/look for a generous return policy.

Every choice, small as this one, or large, involves compromising.

Anyone seen my 950?
I need to get some sleep...

Fill Gee

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Imo, it's in the apps. The 950/xl are looking like very nice feature rich phones (though ugly imo but that's not important to me), and I'd ditch my note 4 and get one of these if they had the apps that I use (and not just out of date apps).
So basically, if you can get the apps that you currently use, alternatives to those apps or can just do without them, go for one of these. If you can't do without a certain app then you're unfortunately tied to Android (or an iphone I guess). Browse the app store on your computer!

I have nothing against android but the latest batch of phones that run it have been a disappointment to me and these windows phones tick all my boxes. I weep a little inside that I won't get one just because of a few apps that don't exist on windows. Not even important apps at that, just things that I'm used to using and would get annoyed at not having!

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm switching from my Galaxy S6 Edge. I've had it a couple months. I've owned a Lumia 900, 920, 1020 and switched to the S6 Edge to give android another shot and loved the idea of the curved display. I preordered my Lumia 950 this week (Canada) I don't think the Lumia 950 is the best looking phone. What I really miss from my 1020 is the camera and Here+ maps. Excited to go back to Windows phone. Looking forward to the clean and simple interface and superior camera. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos