No visual voice mail :-(

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
try going into settings - network & wireless - cellular and sim - sim settings
under cellular network, make sure the cellular connection profile is right (AT&T) and then tap "update settings"
reboot, and hit your voicemail again to see if you get prompted for VVM after you hang up.

Thanks for the tip, but still no dice. I spent a bunch of time with AT&T in a chat yesterday, but work meetings called so I had to end the chat. I'll harass them some more and see if they can help.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In order for visual voicemail to work for a new phone you have to call the voicemail number once and login. after that you will be prompted for your password and visual voicemail should come up. Just did this on my att 950.

PS make sure att has your account right. especially if your last phone wasn't a windows phone.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
In order for visual voicemail to work for a new phone you have to call the voicemail number once and login. after that you will be prompted for your password and visual voicemail should come up. Just did this on my att 950.

PS make sure att has your account right. especially if your last phone wasn't a windows phone.

Just worked for me. Thank you!!

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Just to make this clear...

Switched 2 lines from Verizon (I had the luxury, tired of their BS)
Restored backup - Previous backup was from a W10 Lumia Icon
Setup VM - no VVM
Chatted with AT&T, they provisioned the line, told me to check VM, enter pin in prompt.
Checked VM, no prompt.
Had fianc? call and leave messages. Checked VM, no prompt.
Rebooted phone, Checked VM, no prompt.
Had fianc? leave message after reboot, checked VM, no prompt.
Took suggested steps above (download latest settings, reboot), no VVM.

Curious if anyone else has switched carriers and had an issue. I could see there being an outside shot that restoring from a VZW backup with no VVM could cause weirdness with the settings, which would be a bug MS needs to fix, but I have no proof.

Of course, a reset and no restore could fix, but I'm not super keen on starting from scratch. So before I go that far, I'd like to exhaust other options.

P.S. There's also a chance they provisioned the wrong line. I'm nagging my fianc? to setup her VM so we can check and see. Her 950 is running on a restore from a W8.1 HTC M8.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

this was mentioned in post #2 (minus the PS part). it still doesn't seem to work for everyone. I haven't had an issue, but others still do.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
try going into settings - network & wireless - cellular and sim - sim settings
under cellular network, make sure the cellular connection profile is right (AT&T) and then tap "update settings"
reboot, and hit your voicemail again to see if you get prompted for VVM after you hang up.

My VVM wasn't working, either, for 7 days now. I just tried this, and viola. Now it works! I'm not sure if this is what fixed it, or if it just randomly fixed itself for whatever reason as I failed to check VVM immediately before trying this trick.

But... VVM confirmed, at least. Lol. I was convinced it actually did not support it because there is nothing about VVM for this phone on AT&T's site.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, an update... and good news!

Working with a rep at AT&T, he noticed a weird provisioning issue on the line. Cleared it out, reset the mailbox, and voila, it works.

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Decided to take a gamble and purchased an unlocked 950 from Microsoft in store this afternoon, and apparently I lost as there is no sign of visual voice mail. Have dialed my number, pressed 1, and clicked the basic voicemail button to call my voicemail and enter my PIN to access my new messages. Have reset the device once without doing a backup and once doing a backup from my 1020. Tried the trick in the wireless settings and nothing happened. Not once have I got any kind of on-screen prompt or seen any mention of visual voicemail. This is a definite deal breaker for me, I hope this gets cleared up ASAP. I use ATT Prepaid which has virtually non existent customer support from my experience.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I opened the phone app, tapped voicemail icon at the bottom of the screen to dial default voicemail. I entered pin at prompt, no messages, ended call. At return to phone app screen pop up opened to enter voicemail pin, entered pin. Visual voicemail now appears in the navigation bar at the top of the screen. New 950, did not restore from backup, same AT&T# same Microsoft account.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Decided to take a gamble and purchased an unlocked 950 from Microsoft in store this afternoon, and apparently I lost as there is no sign of visual voice mail. Have dialed my number, pressed 1, and clicked the basic voicemail button to call my voicemail and enter my PIN to access my new messages. Have reset the device once without doing a backup and once doing a backup from my 1020. Tried the trick in the wireless settings and nothing happened. Not once have I got any kind of on-screen prompt or seen any mention of visual voicemail. This is a definite deal breaker for me, I hope this gets cleared up ASAP. I use ATT Prepaid which has virtually non existent customer support from my experience.

Could it be that you haven't gotten any voicemails since you got the phone? My VVM is working now, but it's only showing the test voicemail my buddy left for me, and not any of the others that were on there when I switched from my iPhone.

Ecurb87

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I can never remember my pin so I called the voicemail, changed the pin,went back in, asked for pin, checked voicemail and one popped up. That was 8am ET. Just checked and the icon is still there. I did use a backup.

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Still not working this morning. Tried everything mentioned at least once. I'm also same ATT # and same Microsoft account. I've been Skyping my own number and leaving voicemails to test it out. Also tried changing PIN, no luck.

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My visual voicemail on my 950 is working out of nowhere. Dont know what i did but when someone left a voicemail, it prompted me to put my password in, then boom, it worked

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Is VVM working on anyones UNLOCKED Lumia 950? I'm wondering if the ATT 950 supports it but the unlocked 950 does not.

**As an update, I spent a few hours with ATT over the phone and their advanced technical support people. By the end of those few hours I was told unequivocally that ANY model of the Microsoft Lumia 950 (ATT or Unlocked), is incompatible with ATT visual voicemail and only basic voicemail functionality exists. When I explained my frustration that some seem to have it and have even seen screenshots of people who have it working, she restated her confidence in her answer and seemed to imply that I must've been confused or that those screenshots were photoshopped. It sounded like she tried to be as helpful as she could, and even called local ATT stores to see if they had VVM on any of their ATT branded 950s in the store.
**New update, spoke with Microsoft's Lumia customer service people over the phone. My first question was whether the 950 phones they're selling in their stores work with ATT VVM, she said they do. I explained it wasn't working on mine and she said to contact ATT, I told her what ATT explained to me, and then after a minute she corrected herself that the phones MS Store are selling work with ATT VVM but that she read ATT does not support VVM on the phones. I again explained that some people seem to have it working on their ATT 950, to which she replied there was no way that was the case. She told me those users I referred to must be using a network other than ATT. I said I thought that the ATT 950s being sold in MS Stores would only work with the ATT network (otherwise why bother having an unlocked version) and she just went silent for a minute then repeated that ATT says they do not support VVM for the 950. I guess after wasting 4hrs of my Thanksgiving and rare day off from work, I'll give up and plan on taking the 950 back and returning to the 1020 next week.

Last edited:

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Is VVM working on anyones UNLOCKED Lumia 950? I'm wondering if the ATT 950 supports it but the unlocked 950 does not.

**As an update, I spent a few hours with ATT over the phone and their advanced technical support people. By the end of those few hours I was told unequivocally that ANY model of the Microsoft Lumia 950 (ATT or Unlocked), is incompatible with ATT visual voicemail and only basic voicemail functionality exists. When I explained my frustration that some seem to have it and have even seen screenshots of people who have it working, she restated her confidence in her answer and seemed to imply that I must've been confused or that those screenshots were photoshopped. It sounded like she tried to be as helpful as she could, and even called local ATT stores to see if they had VVM on any of their ATT branded 950s in the store.

Well, I wish I could tell you what voodoo got mine working, but I can't. But it is working, and here is a pic of it working I just took now.

Last edited:

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have posted this on numerous threads: WP's built in VVM is not supported on dual sim devices. Period. No amount of fussing will make AT&T or T-Mobile VVM work on a dual sim device, unless or until that changes.
This is why people are getting it to work on the AT&T model (assuming you can overcome AT&T's 'helpful' provisioning issues) but not on the unlocked one.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have posted this on numerous threads: WP's built in VVM is not supported on dual sim devices. Period. No amount of fussing will make AT&T or T-Mobile VVM work on a dual sim device, unless or until that changes.
This is why people are getting it to work on the AT&T model (assuming you can overcome AT&T's 'helpful' provisioning issues) but not on the unlocked one.

That would explain why I didn't have VVM on a Blu Win HD either, though at the time I just assumed it was Blu. Out of curiosity, can you point to any information as to why that's the case?

CX1

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the Insider Preview. Have the Lumia Icon. When I click the Voicemail ... it ask for the password, but fails saying that 'Data connection not available'. Anyone have it working with their Icon?

Try it with WIFI off. My 929 won't sync VVM on WIFI. Network error.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Note carefully: Verizon VVM is an app, completely different from the built-in AT&T/tmo VVM. The lessons from one don't apply to the other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel