950 & Battery Life

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I thought we like Windows Phone because we don't have to fiddle with it to get acceptable battery life and performance.
That's why I feel like something is off...

Well, I posted that comment tongue-in-cheek. My first WP was an unlocked Lumia 710, which of course ran WP7. I've used a WP most of the time since then, although usually not as a primary device.

In my experience, WP7 was fast, smooth, and stable, although quite light in features and capabilities. Since WP8, the OS has required a great deal of tweaking and fiddling. Soft or hard resets are required all too often. This is why I've never understood the view I stated above.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, I posted that comment tongue-in-cheek. My first WP was an unlocked Lumia 710, which of course ran WP7. I've used a WP most of the time since then, although usually not as a primary device.

In my experience, WP7 was fast, smooth, and stable, although quite light in features and capabilities. Since WP8, the OS has required a great deal of tweaking and fiddling. Soft or hard resets are required all too often. This is why I've never understood the view I stated above.

I don't really have any issues tweaking to get the best battery life.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not that this helps exactly, but I've been running mine exactly how it came out of the box and haven't had battery issues with whatever the default settings are. When I first got the phone I noticed the bottom right side of it was hot when I got home, after the phone was just in my pocket. Something must have been turning on in my pocket but I don't know what it is.

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone noticing excessive battery drain on their new 950?

When I'm using the phone it will drop 10% in a matter of 5-10 mins.

Already turned off all background processes and disabled glance.

Anyone else? Ideas to fix?

Did you choose "as items arrive" in your email sync settings? I had my L930 with huge battery drains and did a couple of times a Factory Reset hoping that would help. The last time (I still had huge battery drains) I changed "as items arrive" to "every 15 minutes" after another Factory reset. My battery drain was gone, but don't know if the Factory reset did it or the mail sync settings. My L930 runs build 10568.11 insider preview...

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Did you choose "as items arrive" in your email sync settings? I had my L930 with huge battery drains and did a couple of times a Factory Reset hoping that would help. The last time (I still had huge battery drains) I changed "as items arrive" to "every 15 minutes" after another Factory reset. My battery drain was gone, but don't know if the Factory reset did it or the mail sync settings. My L930 runs build 10568.11 insider preview...

Ok will try that and report back

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone noticing excessive battery drain on their new 950?

When I'm using the phone it will drop 10% in a matter of 5-10 mins.

Already turned off all background processes and disabled glance.

Anyone else? Ideas to fix?

Yes, it'll settle down after a few days. I got mine two days ago and the first day the battery seemed to drain and the phone was very warm. Now it's great.

My phone is very warm after only a couple of minutes of using the camera and dropped 10%. It certainly won't last a half a day with moderate to heavy use.

To runamuck83 and Charles Hinkle, did either of you restore from a recent backup during the initial setup?

I restored from a backup (against my better judgement) while I was at the AT&T store because I was on a work break and needed the phone ready to go. I'm seriously considering hard resetting and configuring everything manually without a restore since that has been the resolution to many issues with the insider preview. However, it's a PITA to do that and so I'm going to deal with it for a few more days and see if it settles in.

I'll be watching this thread...

Dan

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I restored from backup. However my brother who bought the same day as me did not restore a backup and started clean and he's experiencing the same situation. Significant battery drain in standby and ultra drain during light use.

My wife (who also got this phone) did restore a backup as well and in the same boat.

All together we have four 950s in my family now (Me, 2 brothers, and wife). All of their battery life has sucked so far. So either we all have bad batteries or there's something under the hood that needs fixing.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I restored from backup. However my brother who bought the same day as me did not restore a backup and started clean and he's experiencing the same situation. Significant battery drain in standby and ultra drain during light use.

My wife (who also got this phone) did restore a backup as well and in the same boat.

All together we have four 950s in my family now (Me, 2 brothers, and wife). All of their battery life has sucked so far. So either we all have bad batteries or there's something under the hood that needs fixing.

Dang...well, mine only went down 1% in the last 30-minutes of standby and it's cool to the touch so I guess I can't give up hope quite yet. It does get seriously warm under light use tho.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Had mine for five days and have been using at work regularly for the last three days. After 13 hours of heavy use I'm making it home from work with 40-45% battery life. Definitely better than my last android phone (HTC One M8) and in line with my 1020 running 8.1. Very satisfied.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Had mine for five days and have been using at work regularly for the last three days. After 13 hours of heavy use I'm making it home from work with 40-45% battery life. Definitely better than my last android phone (HTC One M8) and in line with my 1020 running 8.1. Very satisfied.

I'm officially jealous.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I restored from backup...

I decided to start from scratch. I hard reset and manually reconfigured my device last night. Personally, I think it made no difference. My device is still ice cold in standby and blazing hot during light web browsing. If it were a rogue app or something, I suspect it would be causing trouble during standby.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

What are your settings? Are you using all the features such as hello, cortana, etc?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So I've noticed now after a couple days my wife's 950 seems to be settling in. She took her phone off the charger yesterday morning at 7:00AM, used it throughout the day went to bed at 10:30PM with 35% charge remaining. She didn't plug it in and woke up this morning and she had 28% remaining.

Meanwhile, mine died halfway through the day yesterday under the same circumstances.

I checked my Battery Saver to see where the most usage is in the past 24 hours. It's showing "System" using 40+%. I checked hers for the last 24 hours and system only shows 17% usage. What gives?? Is it a bug? An app? Bluetooth? I dunno... but the drain so far isn't consistent across the two different users in the same house.

Topping it off ,she hasn't turned off anything. She has it basically setup as it comes out of the box while I've disabled Glance, Bluetooth, NFC, background processes, e-mailing checking as it arrives, etc. Argh!

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I think I've found my issue. Resolving it, however, is another issue.

For me, I've noticed that the little data arrow above the signal 📶 bars is constantly on as if it's transmitting data.

So, I turned on airplane mode and used only WiFi for the last hour to find that battery had only gone down 5%.

LTE is infamous for being hard on a battery so I used ##3282# and found that the settings are completely different than on my 1020. I disabled all LTE bands and saved. Even on just 4G, I've lost 4% battery just while typing this post and my phone is warm.

I suppose some of the modems could be defective?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen high System battery usage on my Lumia 1020 after updating to the latest Insider Preview. I'm not sure what it's doing - maybe OneDrive sync, Groove sync, etc. But by day 2 I was getting at least 10 hr on a full charge. My 1020 just guzzles power and has from day one. Hoping the 950 will improve things.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Isn't there a setting in cortana that transmits info no matter what? I know on my desktop I was having MAJOR issues with that setting. once I disabled the setting, all issues stopped and the resources went back to normal.

If there is something similar, turning that off (if you haven't already) might work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb