950 & Battery Life

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope.... Still downloading apps and restoring, but starting to become a raging inferno again, on WiFi. Hot!

Although, screen responsive issue ate gone in this one.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So since I swapped my sim with the ATT provided one, I've only lost 20% battery in 6 1/2 hours. I've been using it off and on throughout that time... So far seems to be making a difference ...

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Only down 10% in 2 hours unplugged. Still running a little warm, light to moderate use. Prior phone/sim lost 10% in minutes, much improved. I think the sim card is likely the key to this.

dbG33K

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been seeing excessive battery drain and overheating specifically while using Edge? After having my phone for 4 days, the battery life and heat seem to have stabilized except when I'm using Edge, over WiFi or LTE.

Burning 3% battery in less than 5 minutes doesn't seem right... And it seems to be extremely slow in terms of recognizing touching hyperlinks as well as pages loading. Just far slower and less responsive than when I was on my old G3...

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been seeing excessive battery drain and overheating specifically while using Edge? After having my phone for 4 days, the battery life and heat seem to have stabilized except when I'm using Edge, over WiFi or LTE.

Burning 3% battery in less than 5 minutes doesn't seem right... And it seems to be extremely slow in terms of recognizing touching hyperlinks as well as pages loading. Just far slower and less responsive than when I was on my old G3...

Since getting mine exchanged, it has been much better. I do notice that several apps cause excessive heat and battery drain. I suspect they're not optimized for Windows Mobile 10. The Edge browser is a mixed bag for me. It definitely has difficulty responding to touches on hyperlinks and I have noticed some heating and battery drain when using it. Page loading for me is surprisingly quick. I think MS will get these issues corrected in future updates and I'm willing to wait it out. Heck, I waited 3-years for a decent flagship...

Last edited:

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
This problem can't be that unique...
Anyway, think I found a solution to edge heating up the phone, may be too early to tell. But turn off page prefetch, thus far seems to have made it run cooler. I'm thinking prefetch is getting carried away in background.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This problem can't be that unique...
Anyway, think I found a solution to edge heating up the phone, may be too early to tell. But turn off page prefetch, thus far seems to have made it run cooler. I'm thinking prefetch is getting carried away in background.

Where is that setting located?

phuguet

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I used the Windows hello iris feature and I have seen the battery drain going up faster.
I must say I was following my wife shopping and I checked my phone while waiting pretty consistently every 15 minutes or so.
Went from 85% to 35% in 5 hours.
without excessive use the battery is really good, lost 15% only, unplugged overnight 12 hours.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
After a week I've disabled most background activities, turned off Hello, turned off Glance, page prediction and anything else. I now feel like I'm sacrificing, yet still it burns through the battery. From 100% to 78% in an hour of pretty much just reading news and email, always slightly warm. My wife smirks nearby with her iPhone, which barely drops 5% while she does the same stuff. This is not ok. I'm going to exchange the phone in hopes that this was a defective unit. If not then I'll go to any of my older phones, all with better batteries.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
It's been a week for me and I think my battery finally started settling in. I took my phone off the charger at 8 am and went about my day, I used my phone regularly for emails played a few games. I got home and responded to a few emails and I went to bed at 12 am, I was at 40% didn't plug in my phone and this morning at 7 am was at 38%. I changed emails to push every hour instead of letting the phone determine, that helped alot. I don't have battery saver mode on, I think that might give me more juice might have to try it.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I thought I'd better report back since I did say that I would.

It's been almost a week since I got my replacement. Although it has been better than the first one(that thing was in constant meltdown) it hasn't been great. Admittedly I'm discouraged about it but I love the phone and I'm hopeful that Microsoft will correct it through timely updates. Since my 1020 died, I do have a new 640 that i can fall back to if I need to.

I've been beating up Gabe Aul and Microsoft to hurry up and fix it.

Aaron Graves

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming up on 7 1/2 hours off the charger, with I'd say moderate usage, and I'm currently at 50% battery remaining.

What I call moderate usage is this: I've been texting numerous people off and on all morning. I've received and read several emails, even clicked a few links that took me to Edge and browsed some. Browsed a bit using baconit, and even the store (and installed 2 apps). I've had two brief phone calls this morning as well. All this while connected to the wifi network at work.

I've got glance and hello on. Battery saver set to kick on at 20% (like 8.1). I've got several apps disabled for background tasks. While I'd love to have more power available right now, honestly I'm thinking I'm not doing too bad. I keep thinking this is about exactly what I would get out of my old phone, a Samsung Ativ S Neo, however that feels a bit like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
could your txt's still be syncing in the bg?? 26 hours later and i am still syncing txt's!!

I am having the same problem with txt syncing. For some reason everything before 1/16/14 is there, but nothing after (aside from the messages I have just sent on the new phone). They came back on the initial install (after an hour or so), but I reset it after forgetting to back up my Icon, so I wanted to get the freshest backup from that (apps and whatnot). Since doing that, the txts have NOT all come back this time, I am stuck with no txt after that date :(

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
On my 3rd day with my Lumia 950. First day and a half the battery usage was extreme. Had to keep charging it and found out the reason was updates and syncing of data and apps. Now on the 3rd day and took phone off of wireless charger at about 8 am this morning and now at 9 pm I am at 46% battery level and phone is running cool.
Things have really leveled out and phone is running smooth.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I now feel like I'm sacrificing, yet still it burns through the battery. From 100% to 78% in an hour of pretty much just reading news and email, always slightly warm.
Following up... I replaced the unit yesterday and immediately noticed a difference. The first day battery consumption was dramatically reduced, and I'm still above 90% after the morning news hour, even on my first morning with the phone. I haven't disabled anything. My previous phone was defective.

Aaron Graves

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Following up... I replaced the unit yesterday and immediately noticed a difference. The first day battery consumption was dramatically reduced, and I'm still above 90% after the morning news hour, even on my first morning with the phone. I haven't disabled anything. My previous phone was defective.

Well shoot, now it has me thinking I might want to consider taking mine in. However it seems to have gotten better the last few days. I've had it a week and two days now, and this morning I'm at 81% after nearly 6 1/2 hours off the charger. The only thing I've done is some light texting and emailing, 3 brief phone calls and snapped two pictures. So not a whole lot of usage, but all in all not bad as far as drain goes either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad