950 & Battery Life

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is driving me insane. I want to try the new insider build but Microsoft contacted me to help figure out the battery problems. Which means I cant put on the insider builds yet. In typical Microsoft fashion they haven't emailed over what I need to do yet.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
im having similar issues, I found my 640 to have amazing battery life. As long as i'm at 10/11pm with 30% then I know I have enough as safeguard to make emergency phone call etc. I would say i'm a heavy user, emails mostly, i'm going to limit them to sync every 2 hours and see how that works, I have most apps in the background not allowed to run, brightness at 50%. phone has been on since 7am, with a bit of reading facebook, emails, amazon etc and now its at 51%. i've just turned the edge settings off for page predication and show search and site suggestions off to see if that improves anything

so far from battery usage I have
system 30.5%
display 65.9 %
wifi 1.4%
mobile data 2.1%

how do you get the insider build ?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
10586.29 definitely helps Idle battery drain, I have not tested enough to give impressions of battery drain in use though

I left my phone off the charger last night and it only drained 5% through the night. I charged it to full and took it off the charger at 8am and now at 9:55am it is still at 99%

I have Hey Cortana, Glance and several other apps running in the background, the only high end feature I'm not using is Windows Hello since it is to buggy to use on a regular basis. So my idle drain is really good now and I'm not having to strip out features to get it. I'd highly suggest enrolling in the insider builds. WP10 is really not done right now so with insider you will just get fixes much faster.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I read the news and some of my tech blogs for about 30-minutes this morning and only noticed a 3% drop which is amazing. I used the browser for about 5-minutes and noticed the phone getting considerably warm. Set it back on the charger and finished getting ready for the day. I have about a 40-minute commute to work and I stream Pandora everyday. I'm down to 96% at the time I arrived at my office.

Appears that there is some improvement in the new build but Edge still needs some help. Just some simple web browsing over WiFi shouldn't cause the phone to heat up.

I'll be working in the field today with no charger, so I'm a bit anxious but cautiously optimistic.

GenK

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Can someone who has had (no) problems with Battery Life tell me, if he has the Dual or Single sim?

Might be a point

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Somebody from Microsofts Systems engineering teem finally got back to me. He had me send them some diagnostics from the field medic app. Hopefully they find sometyhing with the battery life. The sleep study report has a lot of cool info on it about the battery drain. It says all the running processes how much energy they consumed. He said this is new with windows 10 mobile. The report even has the battery percentages when you started charging the phone. I will keep you guys posted.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Somebody from Microsofts Systems engineering teem finally got back to me. He had me send them some diagnostics from the field medic app. Hopefully they find sometyhing with the battery life. The sleep study report has a lot of cool info on it about the battery drain. It says all the running processes how much energy they consumed. He said this is new with windows 10 mobile. The report even has the battery percentages when you started charging the phone. I will keep you guys posted.

Maybe you could help us here more by also talking to him about the reboots. There is clearly something wrong with the bluetooth stack, sdcard reader that is causing the reboot issues...maybe the medic app can also gather some log info from there.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i will see. I told him about the wifi problems but I don't know if ican help about bluetooth problems. my phone hasnt rebooted on me except for the typical unplug reboot. This is with my band 2 always connected via bluetooth.

THA1993

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't know I've turned off everything in the backround and I think I have it the worst mine dies in less than 3 hours in standby and when I'm using it or when it's charging it's so hot it almost hurts to touch the screen, my HTC one m8 would last like 3 days in battery saver, it might just be that Microsoft bit off more than the phone can chew well with 3gb of ram in all and a bunch of features, my phone has dropped 20% just typing this

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know I've turned off everything in the backround and I think I have it the worst mine dies in less than 3 hours in standby and when I'm using it or when it's charging it's so hot it almost hurts to touch the screen, my HTC one m8 would last like 3 days in battery saver, it might just be that Microsoft bit off more than the phone can chew well with 3gb of ram in all and a bunch of features, my phone has dropped 20% just typing this

Did you restore from a backup? If YES, then wipe it out and start out fresh WITHOUT a restore. If NO, then you need to get it replaced. My first one did exactly the same thing. The replacement has been much better.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Is it time to make a list of all the suggestions so far?

- Use a new SIM card.
- Perform a hard reset if you haven't done it yet.
- Don't restore your settings from a from a WP8.1 backup.
- Remove the SD card, it may be faulty.

Turn off:
- Cortana
- Glance
- Hello
- 4G LTE
- Bluetooth
- NFC
- "as items arrive" in email sync settings
- Feedback & Diagnostics
- Page prefetch in Edge
- Mobile hotspot (besides the one in Action center)

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a 950XL and I'm not seeing this. Battery life is far from great however I have everything turned on and still get 5hrs of heavy use. Standby easily 7-9 hrs.

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
something is not right with yours

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had it a few weeks now an am still only getting around 5% drain over night. Idle drain is pretty awesome now. Edge still drains alot in actual use but if your idle drain is bad your config or hardware is broken. Wipe your config and set it up from scratch, do not restore from backup.

I'm unsung hey cortana, glance, location and have weather, breaking news tweetitum, 2 email accounts and a few other apps running in the background.

CFC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Took phone off the charger at 7:00 AM at 100%, it's now 4:45PM and I'm at 76%. I wouldn't say I'm a "heavy" user, but I do my fair share of twitter, email checking, what's app and random web browsing.
I've only had the phone since 12/04, but it seems like the battery life's improved over the past few days.
I'm obviously not playing around with the phone as much as when I first got it, still I can tell the idle drain is more in line with what I was getting with my 925 on WP8.1.
I did drain it down to 5% (with battery saver off) once to the point where it shut down automatically. Not sure if it helped, but followed the advice of some commenters.
After a mildly disappointing first week, all seems to be good now.
Curious to see what the MS Systems Engineer will report back.

CFC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss