11-22-2015 11:07 PM
104 1234 ...
tools
    you think that I don't know how to change the settings?

The longest screen time out is 5 minutes.
    Last edited by xandros9; 11-23-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: minor sanitizing
    11-20-2015 02:34 PM
    If you think paying $600 for a phone with a 3 star review is good, then, I'll defer. But, most phones they review are 4 stars...
    No. It's obvious that these bugs and issues are going to drop the score. People don't pay that much money for something that's not finished. The people who would buy them is windows fans because they know updates will come. But the benchmarks are even enough to turn windows fans off.
    11-20-2015 02:50 PM
    it's worth listening to Pocketnow talk about the 950 on their podcast today. (Michael Fisher is a WP fan)
    11-20-2015 03:31 PM
    I think Daniel's review is pretty accurate. He said that non windows phone fans wouldn't be tempted to switch and he is proving right with Android and iOS fan critics.
    11-20-2015 04:00 PM
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Micro...-hours_id75950.

Not a full review but much more positive than I was expecting from Phone Arena.
    11-20-2015 05:17 PM
    Luckily, managed to upgrade my Lumia 525 to 10586.11 from 10536 somehow on a metered connection(hint: had to remove SD card for that stuck update bug) and boy is it an improvement! It is actually faster than WP8.1 on my 525. No hiccups in app updates. No app crashes and loading/resuming screens rarely happen now that too for a microsecond which is actually better performance than WP8.1. With this hands-on experience on my 525, no reviewer can tell me how unfinished W10m is on 950. The only thing I can accept is lack of apps which would be fair. Other than that, it is just brilliant stuff. And really we're in 2015 and no other platform vendor provides an elegant screen projection solution let alone working over it. Tbh, continuum is one of those "simplest ideas are usually the best ones." We will see who's laughing in the end.
    11-20-2015 05:33 PM
    Okay, just read the actual review. Here are my two cents.
    Low 3D and Edge benchmarks. Well I'm glad someone high lighted it. Microsoft doesn't making any grounds with 3D APIs in W10m was one of my major beefs with W10m development. But then again, like he said, it's not like game developers are dying to bring high end games to Windows so Microsoft has all the time in the world. About Edge, well what did you expect. We have IE in WP8.1 until now ffs! Edge is certainly an improvement. But the good thing is it is on the right track. I can definitely see it becoming on par with chrome and safari in terms of performance in years to come.
    That w10m berating was totally uncalled for. He judged the recent most build, the build it comes with(which is pretty stable), through the glasses of previous insider builds which were buggy.
    About Windows Hello, I can definitely see its use case. Since I'm one of those who get lost in their own train of thoughts while reading something on their phones with their eyes still looking at phone and mind elsewhere. I have to agree fingerprint is a more elegant solution for nfc payments and unlocking phone in dark. Still all isn't bad though. I can really imagine some interesting use case scenarios for IR scanner. Like not locking phone in the first place when user gets lost in his own thoughts while still looking at the device. The more efficient solution will be to only turn the screen off and keep it unlocked in those scenarios.
    11-20-2015 05:58 PM
    ffs, you think that I don't know how to change the settings?

Dang... someone got called out by the reviewer himself!

And he's right. I believe it was my T-Mobile 925 on WP8 that was limited to 5 minutes but my HTC 8X was either 15 or 30 minutes. And my 640 is more than 5 minutes running 10586, so it can definitely vary by phone...possibly even carrier.

I'm pretty sure Doctor Pizza knows how to change the settings. And his review was honest and his criticisms are no different than reports from others around the forums.
    11-20-2015 06:23 PM
    A part of me feels like it would get negative reviews regardless of how sexy the phone is, how polished the OS is, or what unique features it offered.

Why?

Because it always comes back to the apps and ecosystem.

Let's be honest - over the last 5 years there HAS BEEN some amazing windows phones that pack beautiful designs and solid stable OS - yet those phones were always smacked down over apps.

So yea, is the OS flawless? No,it needs some fixes that will come.

Is the hardware super sexy? I guess that's a matter of opinion.

In the end Microsoft just needs to keep supporting and updating these devices to send a message to devs that the goal of Windows 10 everywhere is going to happen, no questions asked.
    JohnStrk, a5cent, Joe920 and 1 others like this.
    11-20-2015 07:55 PM
    ffs, you think that I don't know how to change the settings?

I'm concerned about the iris scanner not working with glasses. I have a very strong prescription, and I would not be able to see anything on the screen if I took my glasses off. I also wear glasses with high index plastic lenses.

Posted from my Moto X Pure Edition via the Windows Central App for Android
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 11-20-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    11-20-2015 08:04 PM
    I think The Verge review is worse than this. I LOL'ED on that video's comment section
    11-20-2015 09:11 PM
    Based on phone reviews, I actually think Blackberry is in a better position now than Microsoft.

We are in the dark days, guys
    11-20-2015 09:17 PM
    Based on phone reviews, I actually think Blackberry is in a better position now than Microsoft.

It's all up to windows 10 to succeed
    11-20-2015 09:28 PM
    It's all up to windows 10 to succeed
    Hopefully it will. Let's pray for it to succeed 🙏
    11-20-2015 09:51 PM
    Have there been any positive reviews about the Lumia 950? Every site I have seen, nobody has recommended the phone.

Even worse, every review is saying Windows 10 mobile is buggy and not ready for every day use. It's unbelievable that Microsoft released the phone in this state.
    Lots of us on this site use Windows 10 Mobile already every day. Yeah, it has some bugs, but the OS is definitely ready for prime time. I have no problems at all recommending the 10586 build to anyone with a Windows phone.
    TheLumaniac and Hawktree like this.
    11-20-2015 09:52 PM

The Priv reviews I read were NOT positive at all. They make the 950 reviews look like iPhone 6S reviews in comparison. :p
    11-20-2015 09:53 PM
    This is why you don't release phones with an unfinished OS and beta features. And people will read through these reviews and of course they won't sell as a result.

Lumia 950 review: Windows Phone finally has a new flagship?will anyone care? | Ars Technica
    Ars Technica posits that Microsoft assumes people will care. They do not. They know this phone won't sell. This phone is not Microsoft's last chance in mobile, and they don't treat it as such. It's their first foray into a small screen Windows 10 device - essentially a small screen tablet, running the new "Windows RT". That's how it should be seen.
    a5cent and rxc13 like this.
    11-20-2015 09:55 PM
    Didn't read the written verge review. Only watched YouTube video of its review. Sounded so desperate and seemed like a clickbait attempt to troll. Lest anyone fall in love with it. He downplayed everything. From hardware specs to camera to future of uwp continuum. Have never seen a more desperate review before.
    11-20-2015 10:03 PM
    Lots of us on this site use Windows 10 Mobile already every day. Yeah, it has some bugs, but the OS is definitely ready for prime time. I have no problems at all recommending the 10586 build to anyone with a Windows phone.
    I agree, this OS is ready go. I'm enjoying my 950 and it's been working great. Besides, all OSs are really "works in progress". How many versions of Android and IOS do we have?
    MikeSo, TheLumaniac, rxc13 and 1 others like this.
    11-20-2015 10:15 PM
    So you're not experiencing frequent app crashes like mentioned in the reviews?
    11-20-2015 10:23 PM
    LOL at the verge review... seriously cant believe that guy is getting paid!!! AND no im not a wp fanboi... but seriously that was a piece of crap!
    11-20-2015 10:28 PM
    Honestly they could have just put more focus into mobile, hire more people. It's no secret windows desktop is priority which will set the stage for mobile. But what's perplexing is that these units were tested with the os and somehow passed all the tests to make it out in the real world for reviewers. Yet they get crashing on simple things like settings app. I wonder if it May be the att setup that they never tested. This is likely not going to make at&t happy either.
    Yes, this is indeed baffling. MS is releasing a set of mobile devices into the market and they carry on them a mobile version of the OS and if that is yet rough around the edges, then it is a problem. While I am a Windows enthusiast and an eager adopter of MS devices and services, I don't think a "normal" user will be as forgiving and understanding as someone like me (and I dare say most people of forums like this one).

And, related to this is one other thing. I am all for the constantly evolving OS model which involves regular updates. However, these regular updates should be to add features and not for bug fixes - well not normally, that is. Ideally - speaking as a normal user and not as an enthusiast - I want a stable OS and not have system apps crashing etc. This is something MS really needs to pull up their socks on. Just my point of view.
    11-20-2015 10:54 PM
    Yes, this is indeed baffling. MS is releasing a set of mobile devices into the market and they carry on them a mobile version of the OS and if that is yet rough around the edges, then it is a problem. While I am a Windows enthusiast and an eager adopter of MS devices and services, I don't think a "normal" user will be as forgiving and understanding as someone like me (and I dare say most people of forums like this one).

And, related to this is one other thing. I am all for the constantly evolving OS model which involves regular updates. However, these regular updates should be to add features and not for bug fixes - well not normally, that is. Ideally - speaking as a normal user and not as an enthusiast - I want a stable OS and not have system apps crashing etc. This is something MS really needs to pull up their socks on. Just my point of view.
    No more different than ios in the beginning. There were errors up the butt, after the struggle of getting things together look at the uniformity that M'apple has. We are on the turning point of windows mobile and once Msft patches some of the issues the 950 will rock their socks off.
    MikeSo and rxc13 like this.
    11-20-2015 11:12 PM
    Take all reviews with a grain of salt. The vast majority of reviewers out there are going to knock WP/W10 mobile for it's ecosystem and that's fine. The Ars one doesn't which is good.

While I think some parts of the review in question are flawed, such as the price/value and benchmark section, the Ars review does actually state the camera one of the best if not the best camera on the market.

Dan's review probably has the best conclusion out of any of the review's I've read, if you're a WP fan, this is the phone for you, if you're not... it probably won't convince you to jump ship.
    11-20-2015 11:18 PM
    My brother recently bought an iPhone 6S+, with the latest version of iOS. He said it's driving him crazy. The OS is buggy, various apps crash often, and the sound drops out intermittently. But you don't see this mentioned in articles that are bashing the 950...
    rxc13, dalydose and Unauthorized like this.
    11-20-2015 11:23 PM
104 1234 ...