11-22-2015 11:07 PM
104 12345
tools
    So you're not experiencing frequent app crashes like mentioned in the reviews?
    No, they happen but not frequently and not enough that it prevents me from using it every day as my main phone.
    11-20-2015 11:37 PM
    It seems that the more I learn, the worse these phones look. Microsoft definitely had no business calling these flagships and pricing them like elite-tier devices with an incomplete OS. They seem to have dumped a lot of the little things that made my 920 so nice to use. There's no super sensitive touch. Glance is allegedly less feature-packed. Double-tap to wake is gone. They didn't keep Dolby involved for audio. Those little things, Microsoft's got a high-priced phone with the clunkiest experience it could pull off. Throw in an incomplete OS, and I don't know why they think this is how "fan service" works. Instead, these are mostly to test how desperate and blind we all are. The lack of a WP flagship alternative is going to force people to buy these or jump ship. Sadly, there is no alternative to W10M for me, or I'd consider a switch. I'll never buy from Apple or Google, so Microsoft is winning by default.
    11-20-2015 11:42 PM
    Jeez, I've only had the 950 for one day but I've absolutely zero issues. No crashes or lags.

The only thing is the iris scanner, I don't like how close you have to hold it to your face, but it is beta and I never actually lock my phones.
    LumiaWorld and rxc13 like this.
    11-20-2015 11:49 PM
    My brother recently bought an iPhone 6S+, with the latest version of iOS. He said it's driving him crazy. The OS is buggy, various apps crash often, and the sound drops out intermittently. But you don't see this mentioned in articles that are bashing the 950...
    I bet it has something to do with ios apps moving to windows... it would make LOTS of sense.
    teemulehtinen likes this.
    11-20-2015 11:51 PM
    Honestly i think the somewhat negative reviews are a blessing in disguise for Microsoft. While the 950 and 950xl sound amazing for anyone dedicated to Windows phone they do nothing to draw in Android or iPhone users... and that's a good thing. The OS and Microsoft apps still need work. As someone that loves Windows 10 on the computer and loves the Windows 10 mobile OS, after testing it out for a few weeks I know it's not going to win over most Android or iPhone users at this point. I think most people switching now would find themselves initially impressed with the OS navigation and live tiles and then frustrated when they realized everything else was a step down.

My hope is that Microsoft will finally start updating their own apps to be better or at least on the same level as their own apps on Android and iOS which will then encourage other developers to start making apps or updating their current apps for Windows phone. For the life of me I can't imagine why Microsoft would expect developers to put time into developing Windows apps when they're not even doing it themselves.

Fan boys can complain/deny it all they want but the app gap is real and the windows app store is a freaking disaster trying to sort through all the fake apps. Whenever I was searching through there I felt like i might as well be browsing piratebay. I think Microsoft has the sway and power to pull it all together... but they need to pull their heads out of their asses and start acting like a cohesive unit. Have their own apps at least as good as what's offered on other platforms, don't kill off apps to be replaced by inferior apps (lumia camera vs microsoft camera), or features, seriously, 2016 is around the corner and you can't even take a panorama picture with the latest windows phones?!?!
    nightsurf and rxc13 like this.
    11-20-2015 11:53 PM
    No more different than ios in the beginning. There were errors up the butt, after the struggle of getting things together look at the uniformity that M'apple has. We are on the turning point of windows mobile and once Msft patches some of the issues the 950 will rock their socks off.
    Look...I agree. But the thing is MS is now in a rather mature market as compared to what iOS was when it was first released and to that extent, MS has to up their game - at least where the OS is concerned. And this is doubly important for MS because in the mobile market, MS is the challenger. I also have high hopes for the 950XL, which is what I am gunning for as soon as it is released in my market (Nov 30 - I have been invited to attend the Insiders Preview bash). But I still think MS needs to really up their game here.
    11-21-2015 01:10 AM
    The Priv reviews I read were NOT positive at all. They make the 950 reviews look like iPhone 6S reviews in comparison. :p
    Yup, Priv reviews were not at all positive, but they were not as negative as Lumia 950 reviews :p
    11-21-2015 01:36 AM
    My brother recently bought an iPhone 6S+, with the latest version of iOS. He said it's driving him crazy. The OS is buggy, various apps crash often, and the sound drops out intermittently. But you don't see this mentioned in articles that are bashing the 950...
    Pretty sure he got a faulty unit
    11-21-2015 01:38 AM
    It seems that the more I learn, the worse these phones look. Microsoft definitely had no business calling these flagships and pricing them like elite-tier devices with an incomplete OS. They seem to have dumped a lot of the little things that made my 920 so nice to use. There's no super sensitive touch. Glance is allegedly less feature-packed. Double-tap to wake is gone. They didn't keep Dolby involved for audio. Those little things, Microsoft's got a high-priced phone with the clunkiest experience it could pull off. Throw in an incomplete OS, and I don't know why they think this is how "fan service" works. Instead, these are mostly to test how desperate and blind we all are. The lack of a WP flagship alternative is going to force people to buy these or jump ship. Sadly, there is no alternative to W10M for me, or I'd consider a switch. I'll never buy from Apple or Google, so Microsoft is winning by default.
    MS literally destroyed nokia's legacy in the lumia line. Im disappointed tbh
    Clinton_O likes this.
    11-21-2015 01:40 AM
    I am angry, but still not giving up :). I am still convinced to update to 950 / 950XL but I really hope that it will not be last Windows Phone. :-(
    rxc13 likes this.
    11-21-2015 04:40 AM
    MS literally destroyed nokia's legacy in the lumia line. Im disappointed tbh
    You are damn right. Nokia was great hardware producer and also they were able always to provide good software stack above basic OS. MS responsibility was just to provide good OS. It looks that now, when MS bought Nokia they are finding very hard to be good on every level - HW / SW stack / OS.
    LumiaWorld and Clinton_O like this.
    11-21-2015 04:48 AM
    "Windows 10 Mobile: bugs abound." That is the criticism that concerns me the most with these reviews. I have little patience when devices don't operate the way they should.
    11-21-2015 04:59 AM
    The review is pretty objective..
    Clinton_O likes this.
    11-21-2015 05:03 AM
    . MS needed a huge hit here, but clearly didn't do enough to get it.
    Well, no. MS have stated times and times over that this device is for the enthusiasts and fans.. I don't think they needed a big hit. I see this device as the beginning. Like the first Surface Pro was the beginning for that device-family.
    MikeSo, jdballard and libra89 like this.
    11-21-2015 05:44 AM
    ... and I don't think MS could possible budget or expect that this phones would sell through the roof and demolish Samsung and IPhones markedshare. That was never they dream. I don't expect users that are not experienced with the MS eco to fully enjoy this phones either right away. But for people coming from WP8 devices it certainly is a great device.
    11-21-2015 05:51 AM
    iOS 9 was very buggy also upon release and frankly it still is. I have a iPhone 6S+ next to my Lumia 1520. The bugs in iOS drives me more insane than the bugs in W10M does at the moment. iOS 9 has had a lot of sound bugs, including notifications from ALL apps won't make a sound like every 5'th time or so. Volume goes up & down by itself for different sounds/apps. Took long for them to fix that. The UI still has weird bugs specifically on the homescreen that make animations very choppy from time to time. It's been badly optimized overall. Not until not in iOS 9.2 beta 3 that I use some of the more worse bugs are solved. Still has some UI bugs though.

So WM surely isn't exclusive being released with bugs. Android 5.0 Lollipop had a pretty severe WIFI bug when it was realeased as well as memory leak bug that took them a while to fix.

Point is, today it seems more standard than exception that new mobile phone systems has obvious bugs when released. WM should not be treated differently because of that.
    MikeSo, rxc13, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    11-21-2015 07:31 AM
    I think they where referring to the fact that the fingerprint readers in recent phones are a lot faster to unlock than the iris scanner.

Posted via my Moto x
    11-21-2015 08:53 AM
    I'm just going to leave this here....
    11-21-2015 09:02 AM
    You are damn right. Nokia was great hardware producer and also they were able always to provide good software stack above basic OS. MS responsibility was just to provide good OS. It looks that now, when MS bought Nokia they are finding very hard to be good on every level - HW / SW stack / OS.
    I agree with this. I was a proud Lumia (note: not Nokia) user during the days of 920,1020,1520, and even 930. Lumias back then were just so beautifully crafted. From the design to its features, everything just screams QUALITY.

I don't know what the hell happened with the 950 and 950 XL.
    dantak likes this.
    11-21-2015 09:08 AM
    iOS 9 was very buggy also upon release and frankly it still is.
    iOS 9's bugs are a far cry from what I'm seeing with Windows 10. Apple has been smart enough to leave the core experience largely untouched. And while they're slipping, the OS still feels polished. Microsoft, however, decided that they needed to overhaul every little thing and in far too many cases, for the worse.

The problems I'm encountering aren't bugs for the most part. It's a widespread of lack of polish and changes that don't improve the experience over what I had in WP 8.1. The OS doesn't even get the basics right. Touch is extremely twitchy, even on the home screen where it occasionally misreads swipes. The difference is glaring compared to my Lumia 920 which offered fluidity and precision comparable to an iPhone.

Sadly, every time I lean towards keeping the phone I encounter a new source of frustration; the latest being Cortana's awful new web search and a ridiculous inability to save images from that search like I could previously.

It seems that Microsoft allowed feature creep to spiral out of control and decided to cut their loses when they realized they weren't going to meet their deadline. I also wonder if Microsoft outsourced the entirety of Windows 10 for mobile. It's got that sense that while everything works to spec but nothing feels quite right.

Perhaps the strategy is to bide time until Surface Phones arrive next year. But in the meantime I don't see how the platform isn't going to do anything but hemorrhage users. And that means that the platform gap is going to persist for the foreseeable future.

It pains me to be no negative because I really want to support the platform. Frustratingly, for a platform that was supposedly intended for the fans it feels more like an insult.
    Clinton_O and loribinca like this.
    11-21-2015 09:46 AM
    I think that the best move would be to allow unhappy users to revert 950 &950xl to Windows 8.1 and wait for improved w10m version...๐Ÿ˜
    loribinca likes this.
    11-21-2015 10:09 AM
    I think that the best move would be to allow unhappy users to revert 950 &950xl to Windows 8.1 and wait for improved w10m version...๐Ÿ˜
    I actually can't stand windows 8.1 after using windows 10. Was using my brothers to back up his stuff and just can't go back to it. My phone doesn't really have any bugs in the latest build (830). I have had runemals crash on me during launch if too many tasks are in the background, closing them fixed the issue. So not a big deal. But I'm hearing way more bugs on the 950. The build is different but just find it odd they released it without at least an initial update during activation to maybe include the bug fixes the latest build has. Either way hope the 950 xl experience is better. Sort of glad it's coming to Canada a bit later as there will be reviews before I pick up my unit. What I'm most curious about is the heating issue. But the benchmarks are also horrible. Keep in mind that if this is a driver/software issue it's not a quick fix to squeeze performance. I understand if it was a bit shy of the others but it gets destroyed.
    MikeSo and rxc13 like this.
    11-21-2015 10:54 AM
    Microsoft Lumia 950 review: Continuum makes it the first flagship for Windows 10 Mobile | PCWorld

PCworld review "...But the performance, at least on the Lumia 950, is otherwise everything youd expect of a finished OS...."
    11-21-2015 12:36 PM
    I watched pocketnow review and they mentioned that during a 20min of simple text reading battery dropped by 10 or 12%? Do you think that this may be truth?
    I really can't understand why all the flagships must have QHD battery-hungry displays with a 5 inch screen! For me FHD is more than enough...
    MikeSo and dgr_874 like this.
    11-21-2015 01:08 PM
    I watched pocketnow review and they mentioned that during a 20min of simple text reading battery dropped by 10 or 12%? Do you think that this may be truth?
    I really can't understand why all the flagships must have QHD battery-hungry displays with a 5 inch screen! For me FHD is more than enough...
    I agree. I'd happily take a 720p screen (that's what we used to have on TVs!) if it meant a much better battery life.
    11-21-2015 01:22 PM
104 12345