First bad review of the 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is why you don't release phones with an unfinished OS and beta features. And people will read through these reviews and of course they won't sell as a result.

Lumia 950 review: Windows Phone finally has a new flagship?will anyone care? | Ars Technica
Ars Technica posits that Microsoft assumes people will care. They do not. They know this phone won't sell. This phone is not Microsoft's last chance in mobile, and they don't treat it as such. It's their first foray into a small screen Windows 10 device - essentially a small screen tablet, running the new "Windows RT". That's how it should be seen.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Didn't read the written verge review. Only watched YouTube video of its review. Sounded so desperate and seemed like a clickbait attempt to troll. Lest anyone fall in love with it. He downplayed everything. From hardware specs to camera to future of uwp continuum. Have never seen a more desperate review before.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Lots of us on this site use Windows 10 Mobile already every day. Yeah, it has some bugs, but the OS is definitely ready for prime time. I have no problems at all recommending the 10586 build to anyone with a Windows phone.

I agree, this OS is ready go. I'm enjoying my 950 and it's been working great. Besides, all OSs are really "works in progress". How many versions of Android and IOS do we have?

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Lots of us on this site use Windows 10 Mobile already every day. Yeah, it has some bugs, but the OS is definitely ready for prime time. I have no problems at all recommending the 10586 build to anyone with a Windows phone.
So you're not experiencing frequent app crashes like mentioned in the reviews?

zimmer86

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
LOL at the verge review... seriously cant believe that guy is getting paid!!! AND no im not a wp ******... but seriously that was a piece of crap!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Honestly they could have just put more focus into mobile, hire more people. It's no secret windows desktop is priority which will set the stage for mobile. But what's perplexing is that these units were tested with the os and somehow passed all the tests to make it out in the real world for reviewers. Yet they get crashing on simple things like settings app. I wonder if it May be the att setup that they never tested. This is likely not going to make at&t happy either.

Yes, this is indeed baffling. MS is releasing a set of mobile devices into the market and they carry on them a mobile version of the OS and if that is yet rough around the edges, then it is a problem. While I am a Windows enthusiast and an eager adopter of MS devices and services, I don't think a "normal" user will be as forgiving and understanding as someone like me (and I dare say most people of forums like this one).

And, related to this is one other thing. I am all for the constantly evolving OS model which involves regular updates. However, these regular updates should be to add features and not for bug fixes - well not normally, that is. Ideally - speaking as a normal user and not as an enthusiast - I want a stable OS and not have system apps crashing etc. This is something MS really needs to pull up their socks on. Just my point of view.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, this is indeed baffling. MS is releasing a set of mobile devices into the market and they carry on them a mobile version of the OS and if that is yet rough around the edges, then it is a problem. While I am a Windows enthusiast and an eager adopter of MS devices and services, I don't think a "normal" user will be as forgiving and understanding as someone like me (and I dare say most people of forums like this one).

And, related to this is one other thing. I am all for the constantly evolving OS model which involves regular updates. However, these regular updates should be to add features and not for bug fixes - well not normally, that is. Ideally - speaking as a normal user and not as an enthusiast - I want a stable OS and not have system apps crashing etc. This is something MS really needs to pull up their socks on. Just my point of view.

No more different than ios in the beginning. There were errors up the butt, after the struggle of getting things together look at the uniformity that M'apple has. We are on the turning point of windows mobile and once Msft patches some of the issues the 950 will rock their socks off.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Take all reviews with a grain of salt. The vast majority of reviewers out there are going to knock WP/W10 mobile for it's ecosystem and that's fine. The Ars one doesn't which is good.

While I think some parts of the review in question are flawed, such as the price/value and benchmark section, the Ars review does actually state the camera one of the best if not the best camera on the market.

Dan's review probably has the best conclusion out of any of the review's I've read, if you're a WP fan, this is the phone for you, if you're not... it probably won't convince you to jump ship.

BobAtPitt

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My brother recently bought an iPhone 6S+, with the latest version of iOS. He said it's driving him crazy. The OS is buggy, various apps crash often, and the sound drops out intermittently. But you don't see this mentioned in articles that are bashing the 950...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the more I learn, the worse these phones look. Microsoft definitely had no business calling these flagships and pricing them like elite-tier devices with an incomplete OS. They seem to have dumped a lot of the little things that made my 920 so nice to use. There's no super sensitive touch. Glance is allegedly less feature-packed. Double-tap to wake is gone. They didn't keep Dolby involved for audio. Those little things, Microsoft's got a high-priced phone with the clunkiest experience it could pull off. Throw in an incomplete OS, and I don't know why they think this is how "fan service" works. Instead, these are mostly to test how desperate and blind we all are. The lack of a WP flagship alternative is going to force people to buy these or jump ship. Sadly, there is no alternative to W10M for me, or I'd consider a switch. I'll never buy from Apple or Google, so Microsoft is winning by default.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Jeez, I've only had the 950 for one day but I've absolutely zero issues. No crashes or lags.

The only thing is the iris scanner, I don't like how close you have to hold it to your face, but it is beta and I never actually lock my phones.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
My brother recently bought an iPhone 6S+, with the latest version of iOS. He said it's driving him crazy. The OS is buggy, various apps crash often, and the sound drops out intermittently. But you don't see this mentioned in articles that are bashing the 950...

I bet it has something to do with ios apps moving to windows... it would make LOTS of sense.

jeffoffline

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Honestly i think the somewhat negative reviews are a blessing in disguise for Microsoft. While the 950 and 950xl sound amazing for anyone dedicated to Windows phone they do nothing to draw in Android or iPhone users... and that's a good thing. The OS and Microsoft apps still need work. As someone that loves Windows 10 on the computer and loves the Windows 10 mobile OS, after testing it out for a few weeks I know it's not going to win over most Android or iPhone users at this point. I think most people switching now would find themselves initially impressed with the OS navigation and live tiles and then frustrated when they realized everything else was a step down.

My hope is that Microsoft will finally start updating their own apps to be better or at least on the same level as their own apps on Android and iOS which will then encourage other developers to start making apps or updating their current apps for Windows phone. For the life of me I can't imagine why Microsoft would expect developers to put time into developing Windows apps when they're not even doing it themselves.

Fan boys can complain/deny it all they want but the app gap is real and the windows app store is a freaking disaster trying to sort through all the fake apps. Whenever I was searching through there I felt like i might as well be browsing piratebay. I think Microsoft has the sway and power to pull it all together... but they need to pull their heads out of their asses and start acting like a cohesive unit. Have their own apps at least as good as what's offered on other platforms, don't kill off apps to be replaced by inferior apps (lumia camera vs microsoft camera), or features, seriously, 2016 is around the corner and you can't even take a panorama picture with the latest windows phones?!?!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
No more different than ios in the beginning. There were errors up the butt, after the struggle of getting things together look at the uniformity that M'apple has. We are on the turning point of windows mobile and once Msft patches some of the issues the 950 will rock their socks off.

Look...I agree. But the thing is MS is now in a rather mature market as compared to what iOS was when it was first released and to that extent, MS has to up their game - at least where the OS is concerned. And this is doubly important for MS because in the mobile market, MS is the challenger. I also have high hopes for the 950XL, which is what I am gunning for as soon as it is released in my market (Nov 30 - I have been invited to attend the Insiders Preview bash). But I still think MS needs to really up their game here.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Pretty sure he got a faulty unit

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the more I learn, the worse these phones look. Microsoft definitely had no business calling these flagships and pricing them like elite-tier devices with an incomplete OS. They seem to have dumped a lot of the little things that made my 920 so nice to use. There's no super sensitive touch. Glance is allegedly less feature-packed. Double-tap to wake is gone. They didn't keep Dolby involved for audio. Those little things, Microsoft's got a high-priced phone with the clunkiest experience it could pull off. Throw in an incomplete OS, and I don't know why they think this is how "fan service" works. Instead, these are mostly to test how desperate and blind we all are. The lack of a WP flagship alternative is going to force people to buy these or jump ship. Sadly, there is no alternative to W10M for me, or I'd consider a switch. I'll never buy from Apple or Google, so Microsoft is winning by default.

MS literally destroyed nokia's legacy in the lumia line. Im disappointed tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte