First bad review of the 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually the review on The Verge is much worse, but that's to be expected from iDan...

No way the verge one is actually better. Ars just lays into the phone and windows 10 mobile. It really makes it look bad. Though he had a lot of crashing and other issues theverge didn't seem to have.

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
how can he call it a smartphone review when he couldn't even use it as a phone?.. he should've just called it a mini-tablet review.. and the verge is a joke..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
What's really annoying is the lack of direct x support. They were working with QUALCOMM to get dx12 support but doesn't seem like it happened. Furthermore the 3d tests done by ars really show how bad the current dx 11.2 support is. It gets destroyed by similar spec'd phones. This almost makes me want to delay buying the xl.

Evil_MrM

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the bad reviews of the Lumia 950 are really starting to mount up. To those mentioned above, I add the Wall St Journal and PC Magazine. MS really needed to make sure the OS was ready before they shipped it; reviewers are not only knocking the lack of apps, but also the software for the camera system and retina detection. I see massive discounts for the 950/950XL after Christmas. Hopefully, this doesn't sink Windows Phone entirely...

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
wow, those reviews seem to just slam the phone. the really messed up part? the ars review says that MS should have gone with a fingerprint reader. not sure many people remember, but before windows phone 7, many windows mobile devices had fingerprint readers. My LG expo had one that worked great, but positioning of the sensor wont be perfect for all people, ever. pointing the phone at my face just feels easier.

also, yes, we know, windows 10 is not at 100% yet, but i have seen various updates in just 24 hours for a few issues already.who knows where it will be by new years.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Really no excuse for releasing the OS in the state its in as an introduction to their new mobile platform, they MUST have known they wouldn't get favourable reviews that would become the defacto opinion of their new OS. What makes it worse to me is they were going on about how they needed new hardware for all the new fancy features yet they release with the same hardware everyone has. Would have made more sense to release the 950 with WP8 earlier and update that to W10M and hold the release of the XL till the OS was fully baked and use that as their grand launch of their new platform.

Lets not forget, Windows Phone 7 was also new and released on more variations of hardware yet was still practically bug free (though feature poor) and the same with WP8 and those launch devices so the finger of blame seems to point at Windows 10 which not surprisingly exhibited the same lack of polish when it was launched. Guess they will just never learn.....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually, the bad reviews of the Lumia 950 are really starting to mount up. To those mentioned above, I add the Wall St Journal and PC Magazine. MS really needed to make sure the OS was ready before they shipped it; reviewers are not only knocking the lack of apps, but also the software for the camera system and retina detection. I see massive discounts for the 950/950XL after Christmas. Hopefully, this doesn't sink Windows Phone entirely...

I found the pcmag review was good. It wasn't as harsh as ARS. Just mentioned bugs and app gap, which is true.

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
i think we've seen enough demos in youtube to see that the iris scanner works pretty well for most people.. if you have glasses, it could be hit or miss, this guy does admit his situation isn't optimal so i would discount his critique of the iris scanner..

"I acknowledge that others may have a better experience. My glasses are pretty strong (a total of about -8.5 dioptres of correction) and because of the strong prescription I also have high index plastic (which makes the lenses thinner and lighter at the expense of greater chromatic aberration) and anti-reflective and scratch resistant treatments. So perhaps this is some perfect storm of suboptimal spectacle conditions that is undermining the iris recognition."

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
wow, those reviews seem to just slam the phone. the really messed up part? the ars review says that MS should have gone with a fingerprint reader. not sure many people remember, but before windows phone 7, many windows mobile devices had fingerprint readers. My LG expo had one that worked great, but positioning of the sensor wont be perfect for all people, ever. pointing the phone at my face just feels easier.

also, yes, we know, windows 10 is not at 100% yet, but i have seen various updates in just 24 hours for a few issues already.who knows where it will be by new years.

But you neglect to mention WHY he said that. If the iris scanner truly doesn't work when someone wears glasses, that's a big miss. A lot of people wear glasses.

I read both the Verge and Ars reviews. The Verge one I think leaves a lot to be desired, but I think they make a lot of good points though. And when even Windows Central doesn't give the phone a glowing review, that, to me, speaks volumes. MS needed a huge hit here, but clearly didn't do enough to get it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Yeah. Well it's still in beta which I believe should be turned on later by a software update or some special code insiders get. Some reviewers had better luck others not.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
i think we've seen enough demos in youtube to see that the iris scanner works pretty well for most people.. if you have glasses, it could be hit or miss, this guy does admit his situation isn't optimal so i would discount his critique of the iris scanner..

"I acknowledge that others may have a better experience. My glasses are pretty strong (a total of about -8.5 dioptres of correction) and because of the strong prescription I also have high index plastic (which makes the lenses thinner and lighter at the expense of greater chromatic aberration) and anti-reflective and scratch resistant treatments. So perhaps this is some perfect storm of suboptimal spectacle conditions that is undermining the iris recognition."

True but many people had it working with shades. I'm sure with time it will be improved. They also need narration for the configuration instead of tiny text if someone selects that they need it. It could also guide them on positioning phone.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the "bad" reviews that i have read seem to be from pro android or pro ios sites. the more realistic and non biased reviews seem few and far between.

as a windows phone user since wm5, while not perfect (game saves didn't restore :( and some app crashing) the OS seems great. i have had w10 on my 920, and if it ran like that, i'd be disappointed. luckily, it's MUCH better than the 920!!!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Really no excuse for releasing the OS in the state its in as an introduction to their new mobile platform, they MUST have known they wouldn't get favourable reviews that would become the defacto opinion of their new OS. What makes it worse to me is they were going on about how they needed new hardware for all the new fancy features yet they release with the same hardware everyone has. Would have made more sense to release the 950 with WP8 earlier and update that to W10M and hold the release of the XL till the OS was fully baked and use that as their grand launch of their new platform.

Lets not forget, Windows Phone 7 was also new and released on more variations of hardware yet was still practically bug free (though feature poor) and the same with WP8 and those launch devices so the finger of blame seems to point at Windows 10 which not surprisingly exhibited the same lack of polish when it was launched. Guess they will just never learn.....

Honestly they could have just put more focus into mobile, hire more people. It's no secret windows desktop is priority which will set the stage for mobile. But what's perplexing is that these units were tested with the os and somehow passed all the tests to make it out in the real world for reviewers. Yet they get crashing on simple things like settings app. I wonder if it May be the att setup that they never tested. This is likely not going to make at&t happy either.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
the "bad" reviews that i have read seem to be from pro android or pro ios sites. the more realistic and non biased reviews seem few and far between.

as a windows phone user since wm5, while not perfect (game saves didn't restore :( and some app crashing) the OS seems great. i have had w10 on my 920, and if it ran like that, i'd be disappointed. luckily, it's MUCH better than the 920!!!
Have there been any positive reviews about the Lumia 950? Every site I have seen, nobody has recommended the phone.

Even worse, every review is saying Windows 10 mobile is buggy and not ready for every day use. It's unbelievable that Microsoft released the phone in this state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb