Steps to get official FM Radio App on Lumia 950

nig_nffc

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
All 950 have the hardware. Its built in the snapdragon chip.
However some regions have it disabled and some not.
The regions that do not have it disabled do not have it advertised.
What is the logic behind this!?
Uk unlocked version is disabled.....
Can we have a list of regions disabled enabled please.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Some information obtained from a MVP.

The 950 has built in radio. But it is blocked at OS level, by MS, because MS engineered assessed the quality of FM was not good enough. Consumers are supposed to use 1/3 parties.

Good and well, but in France, the CV FR Dual SIM 950 doesn't even allow use of third party apps. fmradio and alike stop with a "not supported device" error.

Outrageous. Even my 535 has FM radio ; how come MS intentionally blocks FM radio at OS level on their high end device???

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The 950 has built in radio. But it is blocked at OS level, by MS, because MS engineered assessed the quality of FM was not good enough

Not all engineers are as bright as they would lead yo to believe, take for example some of the replies in the Microsoft Community. I have a 3rd party app installed and reception is as good as the antennae. They just didn't bother too install the tuner (app).

I read in the other thread regarding FM radio that the hardware is on the chip. Does the European 808 differ from the US chip?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Nope I think the 808 is as good in EU than US. And that Q/A excuse is a dodgy one. I hope MS will react soon and enable the tuner again as it would be the first Lumia or almost the first NOT to have a FM tuner!

And removing quietly the FM tuner feature in the specifications online is perfidious :/

Mardox

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Some information obtained from a MVP.

The 950 has built in radio. But it is blocked at OS level, by MS, because MS engineered assessed the quality of FM was not good enough. Consumers are supposed to use 1/3 parties.

Good and well, but in France, the CV FR Dual SIM 950 doesn't even allow use of third party apps. fmradio and alike stop with a "not supported device" error.

Outrageous. Even my 535 has FM radio ; how come MS intentionally blocks FM radio at OS level on their high end device???

Italian unlocked 950 no radio functionality, same "not supported device" error.

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So it seems that in Europe the radio is blocked, sure hope that they weren't blocked due to the fm differences between us and Europe, specifically the 200khz versus 100khz

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For those that are getting a "not compatible" message, could you post the app & publisher (because many of the radio apps have similar names)? Also, for those that have it working post the app/publisher you are using. Maybe we can find some patterns.

TTBalog

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Fantastic! Worked fine for me. Just what i need. You can't power off the radio, but pausing it does the same thing.
As per other stations, you can add them to Favorites by tapping the heart sign for each one. It then lists all of them on the right hand side.
One can do automatic search as well as manual one in case of the a station that has weaker signal, just like in the previous official Windows FM Radio app.
Thanks a lot, friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99