Steps to get official FM Radio App on Lumia 950

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who don't have access to the official FM Radio app, I found a way to pin the official app:

Note: you will probably need headphones to pick up the signal

Step 1: Download a 3rd party app
Step 2: Open said app and play a FM station
Step 3: Go to Start->apps list and uninstall the 3rd party app while the radio is still playing
Step 4: Weird, app is uninstalled and radio is still playing...adjust your volume and press the station to open the app
Step 5: Press the ellipses (...) and pint station to Start

Anyone have a hidden store link for the official app so I can see it in the apps list too? Currently I can only get a station pinned.

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Does this method bring the FM Radio app up such that it gets listed in the app list (if it wasn't before)?

No this does not enable it in the apps list...I mentioned that at the end of my initial post. Sorry if this was misleading, but at least you can search for other stations once you get one pinned. Heck, you could even make an App folder with all your pinned presets :)

Anyone have a hidden store link for the official app so I can see it in the apps list too? Currently I can only get a station pinned.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
No this does not enable it in the apps list...I mentioned that at the end of my initial post. Sorry if this was misleading, but at least you can search for other stations once you get one pinned. Heck, you could even make an App folder with all your pinned presets :)

Nope, you totally said it and it was clear. I just didn't read thoroughly, lol.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You may check the Windows Feedback app if this has been reported already; if not yet, you may create a new feedback about it. This is abnormal behavior, and could be a major security flaw when examined closer. I'm not saying that it is, but at least Microsoft can look into it.

I can't create the Feedback because I've got FM Radio in my app list. :wink:

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
You may check the Windows Feedback app if this has been reported already; if not yet, you may create a new feedback about it. This is abnormal behavior, and could be a major security flaw when examined closer. I'm not saying that it is, but at least Microsoft can look into it.

I can't create the Feedback because I've got FM Radio in my app list. :wink:
NO!! Don't tell MS, they will "fix" this for us by completely removing the feature!

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who don't have access to the official FM Radio app, I found a way to pin the official app:

Note: you will probably need headphones to pick up the signal

Step 1: Download a 3rd party app
Step 2: Open said app and play a FM station
Step 3: Go to Start->apps list and uninstall the 3rd party app while the radio is still playing
Step 4: Weird, app is uninstalled and radio is still playing...adjust your volume and press the station to open the app
Step 5: Press the ellipses (...) and pint station to Start

#premiumexperience

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
seems to be a system level app that will not get linked when doing a restore. Considering what Bri D posted seems to work, it becomes a matter of finding a way to relink it

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
strange, I have the fm radio app working on my 950xl just like it did on my 1520.

Do you mean the 950XL has the FM Radio listed in the App list when you swipe from the Start Screen? If you do, then I wonder if unlocked Lumia 950s have it as well? I'm using an AT&T Lumia 950.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean the 950XL has the FM Radio listed in the App list when you swipe from the Start Screen? If you do, then I wonder if unlocked Lumia 950s have it as well? I'm using an AT&T Lumia 950.

I'm in the same boat as you Bri D with the AT&T version. @Darth Furious - can you confirm that FM Radio is listed in the App list?

Thanks!

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked dual SIM 950 from MS store and no FM radio app listed in the apps list. However third party radio apps work flawlessly so obviously the phone has FM capabilities

jantila

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I have an unlocked dual SIM 950 from MS store and no FM radio app listed in the apps list. However third party radio apps work flawlessly so obviously the phone has FM capabilities

What 3rd party app works? I've tried a few and none does. And the MS support told that 950 does *not* have the FM radio hardware but XL does.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
What 3rd party app works? I've tried a few and none does. And the MS support told that 950 does *not* have the FM radio hardware but XL does.

So installed fmRadio from the store on my AT&T 950. You are correct that it does not have FM radio hardware. But apparently, there is a workaround. When I launch the app, I received this message:

"No Antenna. Your headphones are used as an FM radio antenna. To listen to the radio, connect your headphones."

I haven't tried connecting any headphones yet because I don't have any with me, but my guess is that it will work but reception will be poor.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
So installed fmRadio from the store on my AT&T 950. You are correct that it does not have FM radio hardware. But apparently, there is a workaround. When I launch the app, I received this message:

"No Antenna. Your headphones are used as an FM radio antenna. To listen to the radio, connect your headphones."

I haven't tried connecting any headphones yet because I don't have any with me, but my guess is that it will work but reception will be poor.

This is how it has always worked with phones that have FM radio capabilities. The FM radio is built into the phone, the headphones wires act simply as an antenna to pick up the signal. The phone DOES have the hardware but without an antenna (headphones) it won't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers