01-12-2016 12:47 AM
34 12
tools
    For those of you who don't have access to the official FM Radio app, I found a way to pin the official app:

Note: you will probably need headphones to pick up the signal

Step 1: Download a 3rd party app
    Step 2: Open said app and play a FM station
    Step 3: Go to Start->apps list and uninstall the 3rd party app while the radio is still playing
    Step 4: Weird, app is uninstalled and radio is still playing...adjust your volume and press the station to open the app
    Step 5: Press the ellipses (...) and pint station to Start

Anyone have a hidden store link for the official app so I can see it in the apps list too? Currently I can only get a station pinned.
    11-20-2015 12:09 PM
    Does this method bring the FM Radio app up such that it gets listed in the app list (if it wasn't before)?
    11-20-2015 01:04 PM
    Does this method bring the FM Radio app up such that it gets listed in the app list (if it wasn't before)?
    Do tell!
    gpobernardo likes this.
    11-20-2015 02:40 PM
    No this does not enable it in the apps list...I mentioned that at the end of my initial post. Sorry if this was misleading, but at least you can search for other stations once you get one pinned. Heck, you could even make an App folder with all your pinned presets :)

Anyone have a hidden store link for the official app so I can see it in the apps list too? Currently I can only get a station pinned.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    11-20-2015 03:46 PM
    No this does not enable it in the apps list...I mentioned that at the end of my initial post. Sorry if this was misleading, but at least you can search for other stations once you get one pinned. Heck, you could even make an App folder with all your pinned presets :)
    Nope, you totally said it and it was clear. I just didn't read thoroughly, lol.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    11-20-2015 03:59 PM
    You may check the Windows Feedback app if this has been reported already; if not yet, you may create a new feedback about it. This is abnormal behavior, and could be a major security flaw when examined closer. I'm not saying that it is, but at least Microsoft can look into it.

I can't create the Feedback because I've got FM Radio in my app list.
    11-21-2015 01:34 AM
    You may check the Windows Feedback app if this has been reported already; if not yet, you may create a new feedback about it. This is abnormal behavior, and could be a major security flaw when examined closer. I'm not saying that it is, but at least Microsoft can look into it.

I can't create the Feedback because I've got FM Radio in my app list.
    NO!! Don't tell MS, they will "fix" this for us by completely removing the feature!
    11-30-2015 01:01 PM
    DOnt work for my Lumia 950. I downloaded that 3rd party app, started it with headphones in and it wrote: your phone dont support radio
    12-02-2015 01:00 PM
    For those of you who don't have access to the official FM Radio app, I found a way to pin the official app:

Note: you will probably need headphones to pick up the signal

Step 1: Download a 3rd party app
    Step 2: Open said app and play a FM station
    Step 3: Go to Start->apps list and uninstall the 3rd party app while the radio is still playing
    Step 4: Weird, app is uninstalled and radio is still playing...adjust your volume and press the station to open the app
    Step 5: Press the ellipses (...) and pint station to Start

#premiumexperience
    msirapian likes this.
    12-02-2015 01:03 PM
    seems to be a system level app that will not get linked when doing a restore. Considering what Bri D posted seems to work, it becomes a matter of finding a way to relink it
    12-02-2015 01:44 PM
    strange, I have the fm radio app working on my 950xl just like it did on my 1520.
    12-02-2015 04:47 PM
    strange, I have the fm radio app working on my 950xl just like it did on my 1520.
    Do you mean the 950XL has the FM Radio listed in the App list when you swipe from the Start Screen? If you do, then I wonder if unlocked Lumia 950s have it as well? I'm using an AT&T Lumia 950.
    12-03-2015 08:08 PM
    Do you mean the 950XL has the FM Radio listed in the App list when you swipe from the Start Screen? If you do, then I wonder if unlocked Lumia 950s have it as well? I'm using an AT&T Lumia 950.
    I'm in the same boat as you Bri D with the AT&T version. @Darth Furious - can you confirm that FM Radio is listed in the App list?

Thanks!
    12-08-2015 04:31 PM
    I have an unlocked dual SIM 950 from MS store and no FM radio app listed in the apps list. However third party radio apps work flawlessly so obviously the phone has FM capabilities
    12-10-2015 11:22 PM
    I have an unlocked dual SIM 950 from MS store and no FM radio app listed in the apps list. However third party radio apps work flawlessly so obviously the phone has FM capabilities
    What 3rd party app works? I've tried a few and none does. And the MS support told that 950 does *not* have the FM radio hardware but XL does.
    12-11-2015 03:12 AM
    fmRadio app worked for me from the store
    12-11-2015 03:39 AM
    What 3rd party app works? I've tried a few and none does. And the MS support told that 950 does *not* have the FM radio hardware but XL does.
    So installed fmRadio from the store on my AT&T 950. You are correct that it does not have FM radio hardware. But apparently, there is a workaround. When I launch the app, I received this message:

"No Antenna. Your headphones are used as an FM radio antenna. To listen to the radio, connect your headphones."

I haven't tried connecting any headphones yet because I don't have any with me, but my guess is that it will work but reception will be poor.
    12-11-2015 08:43 AM
    It's just called "FM Radio" in the app store.
    12-11-2015 04:55 PM
    So installed fmRadio from the store on my AT&T 950. You are correct that it does not have FM radio hardware. But apparently, there is a workaround. When I launch the app, I received this message:

"No Antenna. Your headphones are used as an FM radio antenna. To listen to the radio, connect your headphones."

I haven't tried connecting any headphones yet because I don't have any with me, but my guess is that it will work but reception will be poor.
    This is how it has always worked with phones that have FM radio capabilities. The FM radio is built into the phone, the headphones wires act simply as an antenna to pick up the signal. The phone DOES have the hardware but without an antenna (headphones) it won't work.
    12-11-2015 04:59 PM
    Wish I could do this with bluetooth headphones
    12-11-2015 06:21 PM
    I use RadioFM by Skorczi. And, yes, the 950 has an FM radio, and no, I have no idea why Microsoft failed to include an app.
    12-11-2015 06:40 PM
    Not all 950 have fm radio enabled
    12-11-2015 07:15 PM
    All 950 have the hardware. Its built in the snapdragon chip.
    However some regions have it disabled and some not.
    The regions that do not have it disabled do not have it advertised.
    What is the logic behind this!?
    Uk unlocked version is disabled.....
    Can we have a list of regions disabled enabled please.
    12-12-2015 04:31 AM
    Some information obtained from a MVP.

The 950 has built in radio. But it is blocked at OS level, by MS, because MS engineered assessed the quality of FM was not good enough. Consumers are supposed to use 1/3 parties.

Good and well, but in France, the CV FR Dual SIM 950 doesn't even allow use of third party apps. fmradio and alike stop with a "not supported device" error.

Outrageous. Even my 535 has FM radio ; how come MS intentionally blocks FM radio at OS level on their high end device???
    12-12-2015 10:47 AM
    The 950 has built in radio. But it is blocked at OS level, by MS, because MS engineered assessed the quality of FM was not good enough

Not all engineers are as bright as they would lead yo to believe, take for example some of the replies in the Microsoft Community. I have a 3rd party app installed and reception is as good as the antennae. They just didn't bother too install the tuner (app).

I read in the other thread regarding FM radio that the hardware is on the chip. Does the European 808 differ from the US chip?
    TTBalog likes this.
    12-13-2015 06:06 AM
34 12