11-23-2015 12:35 PM
454 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Hi Dan, I really liked (to point of relying on) Gestures Beta on my Lumia 920 but it doesn't seem to work in the W10 preview. Does the Lumia 950 have anything similar out of the box?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-21-2015 02:17 AM
    Hi Dan,

I also like this question, but would like to broaden it a bit. I suspect many of us are trying to decide whether to buy the ATT 950 now or buy the unlocked one next week. What we need to know is what are the differences between the two products?

Wireless Charging: Qi, PMA, Both, are they different in this regard?
    Updates: Will Microsoft Branded phone get updates that ATT will block or delay (Outside of Insiders)?
    Is the Unlocked one still an ATT branded phone, just unlocked?
    Are the cellular bands and frequencies the same for both phones?
    Are there any other differences?
    11-21-2015 02:34 AM
    1. What do you think will be the successor to the 950?

2. Do you think it would be a good idea to merge the previous plans with McLaren with the Surface Phone?

3. Do you think its successor will have better sounding equipment (speakers and Dolby Audio support)?
    11-21-2015 02:42 AM
    Is Lumia 950 use the same pixel oversampling technique (like Lumia 1520)?
    11-21-2015 03:10 AM
    A question regarding Continuum:
    - Can you turn off the phone's screen when the phone is connected to the Dock and used as a PC for Universal apps ?
    11-21-2015 03:19 AM
    Hello,
    does the display use a pentile stripe?
    Thanks for the answer.
    11-21-2015 03:20 AM
    Hi Dan,
    I was wondering if you can use office (not just read, but editing and creating new documents as well) with continuum without having an office365 subscription? Since they said office is basically free to use under probably 8" or so, but with continuum you use it with a device under 8" on a display over this limit...
    11-21-2015 04:26 AM
    Hey,
    I just saw your video of the USB OTG function of the lumia 950. However, I believe I read somewhere it also supports arduino. Is this true and if so, how does this work exactly?
    11-21-2015 04:50 AM
    How does camera perform at high ISO levels? I heard it goes to 12 800, but it don't think it makes any sense to go that high if you want your pictures to look good. What is in your opinion the last usable ISO level?
    Jere Kujansuu likes this.
    11-21-2015 07:01 AM
    Hi Dan,
    Do you think that Microsoft will release an android device along with Lumia just like blackberry done with Priv??
    11-21-2015 07:46 AM
    Microsoft says that they will be delivering windows as a service. Does that mean once OEM/Carrier deliver Windows 10 mobile update, from that point onwards Microsoft deliver windows 10 mobile future updates independent of the carrier's??
    11-21-2015 07:52 AM
    Hey Dan! Just wondering if the Dt-900 wireless charger will work for the 950 from at&t thanks!
    Yes. If it's Qi, it'll work across the board on 950 and 950 XL. Still, USB Type C Quick Charge is much faster.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    11-21-2015 10:09 AM
    Hey Dan, thanks for the AMA, one question. Do you foresee MS implementing native wifi calling on these phones/WM10?
    Technically the OS can do it, but I think there are carrier-specific issues that need to be implemented some how.
    11-21-2015 10:10 AM
    Can you dictate into word on the 950?
    Yes! And it works very well too.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-21-2015 10:10 AM
    Just looked at the 950 review on TheVerge, they seem to have had nothing good to say about the 950. What are your thoughts on theverge's review of the 950?
    I consider the Verge a 'lifestyle' site and not very serious about reviews. I don't look to many of their writers in awe. Meanwhile, Peter Bright, Thurrott, Brett Howse, etc. are all on another level for technical backgrounds that I truly respect. It's akin to WSJ/USA Today, where it is just some personality giving an opinion with little substantive comparisons/data/analysis. I'm not entirely against those types of reviews as they are the complete opposite of something AnandTech would consider a review and I'd like to think Windows Central is in between. However, I do wish people understood the difference. Better to read all the reviews and make up your own mind.
    Joe920, libra89, Muessig and 15 others like this.
    11-21-2015 10:13 AM
    How can I get the white unlocked Lumia 950 in the US? The Microsoft Store doesn't have that option. Or is it an AT&T exclusive model? Some European countries have the white unlocked Lumia 950 option as well, so I think it's weird for the U.S. not to have it.
    Unlocked Lumia 950 will be sold in the US. I'm not sure if it'll be on sale on the 26th or a few weeks later, but it is coming. They're likely giving AT&T a little breathing room to sell it on contract first.
    11-21-2015 10:15 AM
    I am using windows hello with my surface pro and it is 99.99 accurate and fast. If it is the same scanner in 950 i expect the experience to be very good .
    for comparison I have Galaxy note 4 ( long sype fingerprint) Tab s 10.5 ( swype fingerprint) and Galaxy S6 ( hold finger finger print) . I also dabbled in Android face unlock on my nexus 4 a So far I prefer the windows hello better and in terms of usability it is much ahead due to speed
    There is some confusion here: Surface uses facial recognition; Lumias iris scanners. Check this for more info: Windows Hello ? What's the difference between an iris scanner and 3D facial recognition? | Windows Central
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-21-2015 10:16 AM
    MS store in India clearly mentions DUAL sim on front page for both 950 and 950Xl while US and UK store do not. I think the dual sim version is only for developing countries
    I was told by MS dual SIM will be sold in the US and elsewhere too. They do sell dual SIM BLU phones here too, so...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-21-2015 10:17 AM
    Hi Dan,

With gorilla glass, do you think it is good idea to get a screen protector as well, or do you think the gorilla glass provides sufficient protection? I've also never had a tempered glass screen protector, so I was wondering about that as an option.

I don't use a screen protector, but it depends on how you treat your phones and your history of dropping them. GG3 will scratch after long enough use, tossing it freely into bags, putting keys in your pocket with the phone, etc.
    aximtreo, editguy and gahbmwm5 like this.
    11-21-2015 10:18 AM
    Hi,

1. I hope you will do a side by side of continuum on 950 and 950XL. Apart from the display size that is the only difference which can decide between the two as most other features are same. If you are not gaming I don't think the 810 will make a drastic difference in everyday use of phone call and messaging .

2. Also does it get warm when using continuum and processor heavy tasks such as watching 1080P . videos or large excel speadsheet set to auto calculate

3. What about Surround Audio does the display dock support 5.1 audio out over HDMi when connected by cable. It will make a great plex player for video and audio if it does

4. last question - does the surface dock work with USB drives/ keyboard when not powered sort of OTG use just to transfer files
    1. We'll do side by side when we get the phone in
    2. I can't say the 950 even gets that warm for games, definitely not video. I dunno, maybe I'm not using it hard enough, but really heat is not an issue at all
    3. No idea, will have to test this week
    4. see #3 above
    11-21-2015 10:20 AM
    is there a water cooling after all on 950?
    No because it is not needed
    11-21-2015 10:20 AM
    Hi Dan! Can we connect external HDD through USB-OTG?
    Yes. Last night I connected a 1TB Toshiba HDD with no issues and played a movie. If the drive needs an external power source, that's an other issue. If it's straight one USB then it should work.
    11-21-2015 10:21 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to do this Dan. I've looked over multiple reviews of continuum and other users posts but can't find anyone saying how the VLC app runs on it (if at all, although it is a Universal app so should do). Can you try it if you haven't already?

I have seen the photos app can play video, but that is the Microsoft photos app so I'd expect that to work, I'm wondering how a third party app plays.

Thanks again.
    I'll try VLC this week. I don't have my Continuum setup at home, but maybe I'll try Miracast later.
    11-21-2015 10:22 AM
    Is USB OTG on 950 support external DAC? Wanting to buy FiiO E7 or the iBasso variant soon so wanted to check if it will work on W10m.
    As I don't have a DAC I cannot answer. Will look into it, but I pretty much don't even know what DAC means so I have to do some research.
    autonomux likes this.
    11-21-2015 10:23 AM
    Hi Dan, in your review you said it was a good phone but questioned the flagship status. What would you have liked to see in order for it to be a flagship other then the looks?
    I'll have more on this this week and I've talked about it before: When you look at the Surface Pro and Surface Book you see flagship, premium, innovative devices. I don't see that here. They are high-end (specs) but do not represent the best Microsoft can do. This phone targets where tech is now, the Surface targets the next curve...what is coming next. A flagship phone is ahead of the curve, not meeting current expectations.
    Last edited by Daniel Rubino; 11-21-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    11-21-2015 10:31 AM
454 ... 89101112 ...